Nasturtium

Happy Thursday MENA!

74 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
Why is it that my maternity leave which is 2 weeks away seems further away than the due date? :unsure:

Are you taking the standard 6/8 weeks off with pay or the full 6mo/1yr without pay?

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
btw you *will* update the pinapple princess' pic before you leave ..................... right?????

I CAAAAAAAAAN'T!!! I had to special order a cord for my digital camera because *someone* shoved the other one deep into her drooley mouth and gummed it for a while and now its dead as a freaking doornail. so my camera is FULL of pics and movies and I cant upload any of the updated ones to the computer and that new cord isnt here yet. I guess I can dig around and see if I have one that I havent posted yet...

oh and Jess, glad you made it there safely and in one piece. I am sure George's family is thrilled to meet Joshua.

JP - those last weeks at work seem to pass by the minute as opposed to the day or week.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Why is it that my maternity leave which is 2 weeks away seems further away than the due date? :unsure:

Are you taking the standard 6/8 weeks off with pay or the full 6mo/1yr without pay?

There is really no standard here in California. I can take short term disability for up to 90 days. If I am still unable to work for medical reasons, then I can take long term disability. After that, I can take Family leave.

As it stands right now, I am taking leave when I am 36 weeks. Then I will take approx 6-8 weeks after depending on my Dr's reccomendation.

btw you *will* update the pinapple princess' pic before you leave ..................... right?????

I CAAAAAAAAAN'T!!! I had to special order a cord for my digital camera because *someone* shoved the other one deep into her drooley mouth and gummed it for a while and now its dead as a freaking doornail. so my camera is FULL of pics and movies and I cant upload any of the updated ones to the computer and that new cord isnt here yet. I guess I can dig around and see if I have one that I havent posted yet...

oh and Jess, glad you made it there safely and in one piece. I am sure George's family is thrilled to meet Joshua.

JP - those last weeks at work seem to pass by the minute as opposed to the day or week.

Especially in the heat!

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Timeline

There is really no standard here in California. I can take short term disability for up to 90 days. If I am still unable to work for medical reasons, then I can take long term disability. After that, I can take Family leave.

As it stands right now, I am taking leave when I am 36 weeks. Then I will take approx 6-8 weeks after depending on my Dr's reccomendation.

I didn't realize it varied from state to state.... that's interesting..... but sucks for you :( In NC and SC (and I thought everywhere else) you can take 6 to 8 weeks and get short term disability from your job for maternity leave.... then you can opt to extend it to 6 months to a year (depending on your employer) without pay.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

I didn't realize it varied from state to state.... that's interesting..... but sucks for you :( In NC and SC (and I thought everywhere else) you can take 6 to 8 weeks and get short term disability from your job for maternity leave.... then you can opt to extend it to 6 months to a year (depending on your employer) without pay.

No it actually does vary by state. I don't see what sucks about it though. As it is right now, I'm getting 10-12 weeks of leave at 75% of my pay untaxed. After that I can still take Family leave at 55% of my pay for an additional 6 weeks. Taking 6 months - 1 year off unpaid is not an option for me.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Timeline

No it actually does vary by state. I don't see what sucks about it though. As it is right now, I'm getting 10-12 weeks of leave at 75% of my pay untaxed. After that I can still take Family leave at 55% of my pay for an additional 6 weeks. Taking 6 months - 1 year off unpaid is not an option for me.

Ok, I'm having a duh moment.... 90 days is a long time huh? lol that just didn't register when I read it first time. I don't know why I was thinking more like three weeks instead of three months when I read it :blush:

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

Filed: Timeline

Ok, I'm having a duh moment.... 90 days is a long time huh? lol that just didn't register when I read it first time. I don't know why I was thinking more like three weeks instead of three months when I read it :blush:

Three months SOUNDS like a long time but I have about 4 weeks left of my leave and its NOT :( I'm not looking forward to returning to work so quickly...Canadian leave would rock right now! LOL

Three months SOUNDS like a long time but I have about 4 weeks left of my leave and its NOT :( I'm not looking forward to returning to work so quickly...Canadian leave would rock right now! LOL

How about Denmark? Mother gets 1 year paid and the father does too!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

JP, I think your leave policy sounds fantastic! Is it so good because it is through your employer or is it state-mandated?

I can take up to 12 weeks through FMLA, but it's unpaid. I can get short-term disability for 6 weeks (60% salary, but nothing the first 2 weeks, so it's really just 4 weeks). Luckily I have accumulated an additional 6 weeks of paid time off.

I wish my husband's salary would sustain us for longer, but it won't. I will be going back to work somewhere around 10-12 weeks after birth.

I want to move to Europe (I was thinking Norway)...

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

JP, I think your leave policy sounds fantastic! Is it so good because it is through your employer or is it state-mandated?

I can take up to 12 weeks through FMLA, but it's unpaid. I can get short-term disability for 6 weeks (60% salary, but nothing the first 2 weeks, so it's really just 4 weeks). Luckily I have accumulated an additional 6 weeks of paid time off.

I wish my husband's salary would sustain us for longer, but it won't. I will be going back to work somewhere around 10-12 weeks after birth.

I want to move to Europe (I was thinking Norway)...

It's through the state but supplemted and administered through my company. I can take FMLA as well for 12 weeks, but only 6 would be paid at 55% of my salary.

Thankfully, I don't think I will be taking any of my vacation time. I also have an arrangment with my manager that after my leave is up, I am going to work from home for 6 weeks and possibly come into the office a few times a week for a few hours.

Filed: Timeline

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack :dance:

So.....I wake up Wednesday,,,(did anybody miss me?) .....and the power is going in and out like every 30 seconds. I call Com Ed and a guy comes out and says my 50 year old lines have melted together and he has to turn me off :blink: Says the equipment is outdated and I need a new circuit breaker, a whole new box on the house with brackets and all kinds of fun. So I call my landlord and they send out their guy for electric and he has a plan and sets out to put all this new stuff in. I call Com Ed back to turn it on. No maa'm. You need a city inspection sticker on this equipment before I can turn it on. :blink::blink: By now my landlord is on machine for emergencies and wont call me back. It's now 8pm on Wednesday, it is 94 in my house and my fish are starting to REALLY need their filters to live.

La Princessa at this point was panting and suffering. I took her in the car to cool her off with the a/c. 9:30 rolls around I take a shower and crawl into bed. 6:30 am today, my landlord calls and I tell him he needs a sticker 'Ohhh I thought they might need that. grrrrrrrrrrr So he said he would take care of getting the sticker and then I can call Com Ed. 1:30 pm I finally have a sticker. Finally at 4pm...they come. One guy. He looks and says...I need a crew. I said...well...call the crew..Wow, in 15 minutes I had 5 trucks at my house and they have to run a new line to the pole. I check the tank...2 of my fishes are floating... :(

I'm thinking at this point, just the fan is not gonna cool much down. It's flippin over 90 in the house. This is where my faith is rewarded ---alhamdulillah. I saw a small a/c at Walmart for $89....I so wished I could get it just to have one room comfortable. I go to the mailbox...and there was a check for a contest I won for $125. God is good. While electric dude was doing his thing, I went to Walmart and all by myself...bought it! Came home...my neighbor saw me trying to get it in the house and he came and put it in for me!

So now I am in my A/c living room...La Princessa is next to me on the couch and the Com Ed dudes got major over time...they left at 7pm. It is 82 now in here and feels like heaven. It is awesome to be back online.

HIIIIIIIIIIIIII to every body!!!!!

Jackie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was wondering where you were all day Jackie! Glad to hear the electricity is back up and running. Stay cool, sis!

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.