Ban Hammer

The Say Anything Thread - take 5

5,005 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

if you're planning to have a child, it's an idea to start saving now. Also keep in mind you're gonna have to cut down some expenses. maybe eat out less, buy less clothes, less entertainment in general.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

If it was my choice, we might have had a baby even earlier but Sujeet is the finance guru and he had certain things he wanted met before we brought on another expense from having a baby. We save money too, and he wanted to make sure we still could after having a baby.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Timeline
Um, who said we could afford it?!?! Seriously though, if you wait to have a baby until you can afford it you'll never have one. You'll always find something to spend the extra money on. We haven't looked at any of our expenses or anything else. I'll make sacrifices and buy things for the baby instead of for myself, so will Javi.

We don't have a lot of extra expenses. But we'll gladly cut those out, I'm more concerned of it not fitting into our bottom line.

I don't have a clue what our "bottom line" is. We don't have a set monthly income since Javi lost his job. Sometimes we have money left over after paying the bills, sometimes we don't. Maybe I'm being naive about it all but I just know we'll make it. We don't have anyone to take care of the kid, I have no idea how we'll pay for insurance, I have no idea how we'll pay for daycare, or the numerous other expenses besides diapers and such. I'm not worried about it either.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

Um, who said we could afford it?!?! Seriously though, if you wait to have a baby until you can afford it you'll never have one. You'll always find something to spend the extra money on. We haven't looked at any of our expenses or anything else. I'll make sacrifices and buy things for the baby instead of for myself, so will Javi.

We don't have a lot of extra expenses. But we'll gladly cut those out, I'm more concerned of it not fitting into our bottom line.

I don't have a clue what our "bottom line" is. We don't have a set monthly income since Javi lost his job. Sometimes we have money left over after paying the bills, sometimes we don't. Maybe I'm being naive about it all but I just know we'll make it. We don't have anyone to take care of the kid, I have no idea how we'll pay for insurance, I have no idea how we'll pay for daycare, or the numerous other expenses besides diapers and such. I'm not worried about it either.

:thumbs:

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I agree that if you think of every possible expense, you'll never decide when to have a baby. Part of it is jumping into it.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline

I never knew how much child care cost til i started working here. I wish they would provide some kind of discount for employees. but it's the same price. if we had a child now, 1/4 of my paycheck would go back to my employee.

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

... he wanted to make sure we still could after having a baby.

I can understand that. I'm trying to do the math keeping my mortgage prepays, 401k contributions and automatic additions to savings as-is. If it doesn't work, the mortgage prepay goes first.

I never knew how much child care cost til i started working here. I wish they would provide some kind of discount for employees. but it's the same price. if we had a child now, 1/4 of my paycheck would go back to my employee.

How much is it there?

Around here childcare for a 6 month infant is around $1500-$2000/month.

Timeline

soes anybody here have any idea on how much you spend a month with a kid? i never stopped to think about that. counting food, diapers, clothing, child care..

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

If I worked for Johnson and Johnson childcare would be heavily subsidized! Citigroup too. Those are good companies to work for!

soes anybody here have any idea on how much you spend a month with a kid? i never stopped to think about that. counting food, diapers, clothing, child care..

My friend has an 18 month old, he says in the first 6 months with a stay at home mom he was spending around $800/month.

Timeline
How much is it there?

now i feel bad. I never thought in the real world would be that expensive. $300 here. the wonders of military life. I got so used at how things work here, so many free stuff, í'd never get used to a life without it.

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

How much is it there?

now i feel bad. I never thought in the real world would be that expensive. $300 here. the wonders of military life. I got so used at how things work here, so many free stuff, í'd never get used to a life without it.

:lol: $300 is a sweet deal!

Timeline

i know that now :P

and we have parents that complain about it.

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

I don't know maybe I'm being stupid about the whole thing. The biggest concern I have is paying for daycare. We have two daycare facilities on campus and I do get a discount since I work here. I'm just not sure I can get the baby in there. They have waiting lists. If I can get the baby in there it's about $500 a month, I think. That's what it used to be when I worked in the Accounts office where they brought their deposit. If I can't get the baby in there I'll have to figure something else out.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!