The Say Anything Thread - take 5

5,005 posts in this topic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've been having that issue here at work. But that's because my office's door is closed most of the time and I bring fruits that I leave in here.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Timeline

I've always heard they are in the fruit already. You know you can put bananas in a sealed bag and let them sit there. There will still be flies in the bag. I don't know but we have some right now too from some apples I left sitting out. I'm going to do the vinegar thing when I get home.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

Timeline

from outer space

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Once my wife is back in less than 2 weeks, she will deny leaving it there and the flies will be my fault.

Unless I can kill them all before then.

The flies must die.

I've always heard they are in the fruit already. You know you can put bananas in a sealed bag and let them sit there. There will still be flies in the bag. I don't know but we have some right now too from some apples I left sitting out. I'm going to do the vinegar thing when I get home.

Make sure the holes in the saran wrap aren't too big. The first time I did it, flies were flying in and flying out of the huge holes I poked.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
Once my wife is back in less than 2 weeks, she will deny leaving it there and the flies will be my fault.

The flies must die.

if you cleaned your kitchen that wouldn't have happened.

:bonk:

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

The flies must die.

if you cleaned your kitchen that wouldn't have happened.

:bonk:

:lol:

Or if I even went in there much. You're right. But I'll deny it till I die!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Fruit flies are tiny winged insects that boast a meager length of 0.2 inches (3mm). They are brownish in color, with striped bodies and relatively large red eyes. They are perfectly adept in smelling food from great distances. With their great sense of smell and tiny bodies, fruit flies can maneuver into your kitchen through window screens, door jams, or any other crack in your home. Occasionally, they may catch a ride in your grocery bags or hatch from eggs laid in less than fresh food brought home from a grocery store.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-fruit-fli...y-come-from.htm

Fruit flies – at least those most familiar to us (Drosophila) – wait to lay their eggs, seeking out fruit that has begun to ferment. The fruit fly's whole sensory apparatus is devoted to sniffing out the distinctive odors of fermentation – that's why you frequently find fruit flies hanging around beer bottles. They generally don't lay their eggs on fresh fruit, though. The larvae feed mostly on yeast, and until a fruit has started to go beyond ripe, there just isn't enough yeast there. The eggs hatch quickly and the larvae develop quickly to make the most of the little time available; a rotting fruit doesn't last very long. If a fruit has started to ferment while in transit or in the market, then it might possibly arrive in your home with eggs or larvae already in it. But if it ripens in your home and then the fruit flies appear, they're new arrivals.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mfruitfly.html

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

".....Fruit flies seem to magically appear around fruit and other foods quickly and without fail in an otherwise insect-free kitchen. Of course, modern science has proven that spontaneous generation is impossible, so the question remains; where do fruit flies come from?

Fruit flies are tiny winged insects that boast a meager length of 0.2 inches (3mm). They are brownish in color, with striped bodies and relatively large red eyes. They are perfectly adept in smelling food from great distances. With their great sense of smell and tiny bodies, fruit flies can maneuver into your kitchen through window screens, door jams, or any other crack in your home. Occasionally, they may catch a ride in your grocery bags or hatch from eggs laid in less than fresh food brought home from a grocery store. ......."

"....The short, ten-day life cycle of the fruit fly, its avid ability to reproduce, and its large chromosomes make the insect an ideal specimen for laboratory experiments in heredity. ...."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-fruit-fli...y-come-from.htm

If you can manage to kill the eggs, which the article says can hatch in a matter of hours (AHH!), looks like you shouldn't have them more than 10 days unless new ones fly into your house or hatch from banana or other fruit skins (gross).

Oooh Marilyn! :lol:

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

When Joel and Cat were over for the weekend two weeks ago, I served us some red wine, a bottle I had opened two days before. Since I didn't have a cork to stick into the bottle, I only took some kitchen paper and stuffed it in.

As we started drinking, Cat noticed a fruit fly in her glass. And then two...three...four...twenty :lol: and Joel and I noticed some in our glasses as well. Those tiny phuckers had found a way into the bottle. It was gross. Needless to say, we bought a new bottle.

That's it, from now on we're switching to processed foods only! No more fruit.

Sure, I'd like to see you explaining that reasoning to your wife. Somehow I don't think she'll buy it. :lol:

Maybe I should keep the flies around.

"See, this is what happens when you eat fruit!!"

Is eggplant a fruit?