Ban Hammer

The Say Anything Thread - take 5

5,005 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
the problem was too was that I had no idea what to do....

Get under one of those student desks from school. Apparently they protect you from anything. When i was growing up in Louisiana we were told to get under one during a hurricane. Up here they tell the kids to get under them during an earthquake. They're magic desks apparently.

Ok.... my secretary just showed up wearing a number like this one:

33684.jpg

Problem is.....

HE is 40 something. #######?!?!?!? :blink:

Welcome to Seattle. Holy cow, Len, that cracks me up. Please invite your secretary to our meetup so I can meet him...my gay brother is moving up here from LA maybe they can meet :lol:

OMG I GET MARRIED THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.

Done freaking out. I'm off to prepare for the Polterabend.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

well, I heard it is not good to get under anything because you could get crushed.. like I mentioned earlier they say it would be good to crouch beside a big piece of furniture... because the stuff that falls will hit that first...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

good luck finishing up everything for the wedding!!!

marilyn, just start banging on the wall and screaming at your neighbors. that's what I did in my first earthquake. I heard it before I felt it and I was so mad at them for being loud all the time I just automatically thought it was them :P

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

just got this off a website

Some earthquakes only last long enough for you to register that they are happening and then they are over, particularly if the earthquake starts when you are asleep. If that is the case and the earthquake ends quickly, just get up and look for any damage, or, if it was not a strong quake, roll over and go back to sleep. Experts used to suggest that if you have time, you should try to stand in a doorway. That is no longer the case unless you live in a really old home. Doorways used to be the most reinforced part of homes. Today, houses are reinforced throughout. Besides, you are likely to get hit by a swinging door if you stand in a doorway.

Experts also used to suggest that you dive under a piece of sturdy furniture, tuck up, and cover your head with your arms. This is still very good advice. If you can not get under something, try to at least cover your head to protect yourself from anything that might fall on top of you. If you are inside, it is very important to stay there. Do not try to go outside until the earthquake is over. It is much, much safer to stay inside. If you can, move away from windows in case they break. If you can not get underneath a table or a desk, move into the hallway. Remember that an earthquake that can move furniture and appliances can also knock you off of your feet, another reason to not try to go outside.

If you are outside, get out into the middle of the street or into an area that is as open as possible. If you are standing next to a building, you are in danger of being hit with falling glass, whatever might be on top of the building, or in some cases, with parts of the building itself. Get away from chimneys and avoid power lines. The power lines might fall and are very, very dangerous.

If driving, slow down carefully, pull out of traffic as much as possible, and stop. However, do not stop under a bridge, on an overpass, under power lines, or anything else that might fall on top of your car and cause damage. Do not get out of your car. It is safer to stay inside of your car because your car does afford you some protection. After the quake is over, drive very slowly and very carefully. Look for cracks in the road, bumps that were not there before, and avoid any debris that you might encounter.

Use your common sense. The danger is not over when the earth stops shaking. Make sure that you put on some sturdy shoes so that your feet will not be cut by glass. Do not use electrical power until you are sure that it is safe. Do not use the telephone unless you have a medical or fire emergency. Phone lines get tied up very quickly, making it harder for people who truly need assistance to get help. Turn off your gas only if you suspect that there might be a leak and shut off your electricity if you think that there might be damage to the wiring in your house. Be prepared to help not only yourself, but your neighbors with any injuries or fires that occur, because emergency personnel may be stretched very thin during a severe earthquake. Start to clean up and assess your food and water supplies.

The best advice about earthquake safety is to plan for them. Plan escape routes from your house or place of work. Have extra food and water supplies that can last you and your family for several days. Make sure that you have a portable radio and flashlights with extra batteries. Be ready.

http://www.2020site.org/n/how-to-stay-safe...earthquake.html

here's a fema site too: http://www.fema.gov/hazard/earthquake/eq_during.shtm

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Welcome to Seattle. Holy cow, Len, that cracks me up. Please invite your secretary to our meetup so I can meet him...my gay brother is moving up here from LA maybe they can meet :lol:

OMG I GET MARRIED THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.

Done freaking out. I'm off to prepare for the Polterabend.

You do not, repeat, do not want Matilda to meet your brother (btw, Matilda is the secretary's code name).... no freaking way. I can always hook your brother up with someone handsome and well-dressed.

Take some me-time every night before the wedding sister - freak out allowed ;)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
just got this off a website

Some earthquakes only last long enough for you to register that they are happening and then they are over, particularly if the earthquake starts when you are asleep. If that is the case and the earthquake ends quickly, just get up and look for any damage, or, if it was not a strong quake, roll over and go back to sleep. Experts used to suggest that if you have time, you should try to stand in a doorway. That is no longer the case unless you live in a really old home. Doorways used to be the most reinforced part of homes. Today, houses are reinforced throughout. Besides, you are likely to get hit by a swinging door if you stand in a doorway.

Experts also used to suggest that you dive under a piece of sturdy furniture, tuck up, and cover your head with your arms. This is still very good advice. If you can not get under something, try to at least cover your head to protect yourself from anything that might fall on top of you. If you are inside, it is very important to stay there. Do not try to go outside until the earthquake is over. It is much, much safer to stay inside. If you can, move away from windows in case they break. If you can not get underneath a table or a desk, move into the hallway. Remember that an earthquake that can move furniture and appliances can also knock you off of your feet, another reason to not try to go outside.

If you are outside, get out into the middle of the street or into an area that is as open as possible. If you are standing next to a building, you are in danger of being hit with falling glass, whatever might be on top of the building, or in some cases, with parts of the building itself. Get away from chimneys and avoid power lines. The power lines might fall and are very, very dangerous.

If driving, slow down carefully, pull out of traffic as much as possible, and stop. However, do not stop under a bridge, on an overpass, under power lines, or anything else that might fall on top of your car and cause damage. Do not get out of your car. It is safer to stay inside of your car because your car does afford you some protection. After the quake is over, drive very slowly and very carefully. Look for cracks in the road, bumps that were not there before, and avoid any debris that you might encounter.

Use your common sense. The danger is not over when the earth stops shaking. Make sure that you put on some sturdy shoes so that your feet will not be cut by glass. Do not use electrical power until you are sure that it is safe. Do not use the telephone unless you have a medical or fire emergency. Phone lines get tied up very quickly, making it harder for people who truly need assistance to get help. Turn off your gas only if you suspect that there might be a leak and shut off your electricity if you think that there might be damage to the wiring in your house. Be prepared to help not only yourself, but your neighbors with any injuries or fires that occur, because emergency personnel may be stretched very thin during a severe earthquake. Start to clean up and assess your food and water supplies.

The best advice about earthquake safety is to plan for them. Plan escape routes from your house or place of work. Have extra food and water supplies that can last you and your family for several days. Make sure that you have a portable radio and flashlights with extra batteries. Be ready.

http://www.2020site.org/n/how-to-stay-safe...earthquake.html

here's a fema site too: http://www.fema.gov/hazard/earthquake/eq_during.shtm

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks, Len & Amby. We're finishing the cd's now and then we're off to buy mucho alcohol.

Have a great day everyone!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

ahhhhh lunch, finally I am having.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
ilold.jpg

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

rabbit.jpg

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I am so frazzled feeling. I am only now about to eat lunch. I've only had 1/2 bowl of oatmeal and coffee so far today. :wacko: I went to someone's house earlier today, and it started raining on the way and then became really hard rain. I had someone in the car with me and they dashed inside the house carrying some things for me. I thought I'd make it into the house somehow, since I had my massive IKEA umbrella and all.

:no: I don't know what I was thinking...holding an umbrella while getting a stroller out of the trunk? The rain was sideways, and the wind was whipping, so I got completely soaked as if someone was dumping buckets of water on me. I had to laugh about it because it was such a ridiculous situation and scene. A couple cars drove past and I wonder what they thought. :lol: I got the stroller out and the person came out of their house and said "you better wait in your car!!". I should have done that to begin with. So I ran the stroller with my purse in it up to their covering so they could take it and ran back into the car with Kavi, sooo wet. We were stuck in the car for 15 mins until the rain got lighter and I could dash inside with Kavi. What a mess. The person's house we were at, she had to give me a towel to dry off. lol. I even spent time making my hair look nicer today and it was ruined and wet as if I just showered again. I just now got to change out of my soaking wet jeans. At least I had a nice time once I got inside! Now it's still raining. And I am eating crappy food.

Good Morning All,.....another nice day in Paradise,..

Coffee in hand,...Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Deano,..I like the coexist piccie in your siggy,....NICE!!!!

hey all,..I know this makes me sound dumb,..but I am about to start college classes on the 11th,..an because its been *cough, cough* 22 years since I graduated,..I am little freaked out. I know,..better late than never,....but can any one tell be what the aptitude tests the college make you take are about. I know they are testing my general knowledge too see what level classes I need to start at,..but sheesh,..are these tests hard, easy, what? I am taking them this afternoon.

I am starting a two year AA at a community college, just to get the general education part out of the way first,..i am freaking out!!

Jodee

I'm sure you will do fine. If it's like the tests I took when first going to comm. college, they test your general knowledge on math, writing/grammar, and I forget which else.

Edited by Parivar CSK

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Oh dear, Stina! I hope you wont get a cold or a bladder infection! You should drink lots of water, just in case. We have been waiting for it to rain for a couple of days now. It got couldy now, but I don't think it will rain. *sigh* Another 85° night :(

I am trying to get back to work tomorrow. The antibiotics didn't help my sinus infection at all and I am still infected. I feel so yucky. And achy. Argh.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Thanks Julie hehe. I think I will be ok(I hope!). Sorry your sinus infection is still there, they are hard to get rid of!

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord