imailin

My friends wants the divorce but....

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Guys I have a friend which she was approved around 1 to 2 months ago... she filed the I751 on February 2007.... got transfer to Vermont (just like a few of us). The problem is that her marriage its been hell since almost already 1 year... but she waited out trying to see if her husband will change same time.... well he did not.... He is an alcoholic and drug addict, does not want to work and watches TV all day. Now, she is approved and has the 10 Years green card on hand. Can she just leave him now? can she get a divorce already? she is miserable.... he get violent (just verbal) she does not want to give her husband another change..... can se divorce him already? she understands also that she will have to wait another 3 years to claim citizenship/...

I like to adviced her, I told her yes but I just dont want to make a mistake.... its her life not mine.

thanks!

06/28/2004. Happily Married in Miami Florida.

09/??/2004 Send I-130, 486 Package and ETC. for AOS

01/??/05 Workers permit received.

Got Social Security Card!!!

08/29/2005 Interview went awesome!

09/??/2005 Green Card arrived!!!!!!!! YUPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of Conditions:

06/01/2007 Send package to TEXAS Service Center

06/07/2007 Received NOA

09/20/2007 Went to get an stamp, denied stamp at the Miami USCIS Office =(

01/31/2008 Transfer to Vermont Service Center (after almost 8 months!)

02/22/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

02/26/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred. (Last Touched)

07/01/2008 : still waiting for a miracle after 390 days of suffering....

07/02/2008: Infopass Appointment. passport Stamp....

07/03/2008: Incredible!!!! Card Production Ordered!!!!!!

07/04/2008: Touched. Duplicate email Card Production Order

07/07/2008: Touched

07/08/2008: Touched. Email with notice of approval

07/09/2008: Touched again!

07/11/2008: CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!!! THANKS!!!! WELLCOME IMMIGRANT LETTER!!! :P

Naturalization Process:

06/23/2010: 06/23/2010 - Send N400 after 5 years of permanent residency. Good luck !

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

See a lawyer like today...what is she waiting for???...

No immigration problems. She will need money to file and attorney fees, etc.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline
See a lawyer like today...what is she waiting for???...

No immigration problems. She will need money to file and attorney fees, etc.

welll she was afraid that it will impact her status in same way.....

Removal of Conditions:

06/07/2007 Received NOA

02/26/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred. (Last Touched)

07/11/2008: CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!!! THANKS!!!! WELLCOME IMMIGRANT LETTER!!! :P

Naturalization Process:

06/23/2010: 06/23/2010 - Send N400 after 5 years of permanent residency. Good luck !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes, she can divorce, as far as USCIS is concerned, she has satisfied the conditions of the 2 year CR-Green-Card.

This will just add 2 years to residency requirement if they want to apply for citizenship.

A divorce will NOT affect a ten year PERMANENT residency status in any way.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
This will just add 2 years to residency requirement if they want to apply for citizenship.

Good catch on the naturalization requirement! :thumbs:

3 years if married to same USC from the time of PR

OR

5 years from the time of PR for most other cases

Edited by roi_aggie

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: Timeline

OR

Or could be 3 years if married to the same USC from the time of PR with a black eye...and still living in hell.

Is her decision...that is more civil than immigration related right now.

Yes, she can divorce, the only thing is when she asks for citizenship it could come up why she divorced so soon after the green card, in which case she would have to bring wiht her to the interview things that support that her marriage was bona fide or why she divorced. But this is the only thing that could remotely turn into an issue, otherwise she is free to go at any time.... I would probably wait at least three - six months before making the divorce final though, if she can stand that much....

Yes, she can divorce, the only thing is when she asks for citizenship it could come up why she divorced so soon after the green card, in which case she would have to bring wiht her to the interview things that support that her marriage was bona fide or why she divorced. But this is the only thing that could remotely turn into an issue, otherwise she is free to go at any time.... I would probably wait at least three - six months before making the divorce final though, if she can stand that much....

Looks like a marriage for getting the green card. Oh well. Pretty soon they will start giving out 5 yr GC. Looks like most of the posts on this forum are from people who immediately fell out of love or had bad spouses after their 2 yr GC arrives.

Looks like a marriage for getting the green card. Oh well. Pretty soon they will start giving out 5 yr GC. Looks like most of the posts on this forum are from people who immediately fell out of love or had bad spouses after their 2 yr GC arrives.

Usually I try to stick with the dealing with immigration stuff and not get involved in the emotional arguments that happen on the board but your comment is rather presumptive.

Some of these things arise due to shortcomings in the US immigration system. There are those who are in a relationship but the only way they can live together in the same country is to get married, they are unable to continue the relationship in another way to see if it will work out etc etc. This is one reason why some get married, but find out that after living together that perhaps they shouldn't be in a relationship. It doesn't mean the non-USC was married 'just to get a green card'.

In Australia for example, the fiancee visa allows you up to 9 months to get married, and you are allowed to work once in the country, none of this adjusting status stuff. There is also a general immigration intake system based on a point score system. The only general immigration intake system in the US is the green card lottery.

The response of bureaucratic systems such as the INS/USCIS to those who want to circumvent the system is to put in checks to ensure that immigrants are legitimate, hence the conditional GC etc etc. That all sounds good in theory, except that it ends up disproportionately penalising those of us in legitimate relationships. Those who want to circumvent the system will do a much better job of getting through than those who just want to get on with their lives.

Timeline

Well, I do not share your opinion... of course not only because she is a close friend of mine but also because I have seen her suffering for the last 9 to 10 months or so.... I certainly hope nobody has to go through was she is going through... Hopefully you never have to deal with a spouse that all he/she does is drugs, alcohol and watch TV. That collects unemployment for over 5 months already and has no intentions of looking for one. That the only person that brings bread to your table is you.... I certainly do not wish this for anyone… to have to deal with an alcoholic everyday who has had already 5 to 6 court citations in the last year regarding alcohol and drug issues and his wife had to take him out of jail once already.... I just hope you never had to go through this and if you do let me know cause I would say just the same you posted in this forum: “you just married this person for the green card" let just see how that fells! Let’s do not judge people here... let just get advice.

Removal of Conditions:

06/07/2007 Received NOA

Naturalization Process:

Well, I do not share your opinion... of course not only because she is a close friend of mine but also because I have seen her suffering for the last 9 to 10 months or so.... I certainly hope nobody has to go through was she is going through... Hopefully you never have to deal with a spouse that all he/she does is drugs, alcohol and watch TV. That collects unemployment for over 5 months already and has no intentions of looking for one. That the only person that brings bread to your table is you.... I certainly do not wish this for anyone… to have to deal with an alcoholic everyday who has had already 5 to 6 court citations in the last year regarding alcohol and drug issues and his wife had to take him out of jail once already.... I just hope you never had to go through this and if you do let me know cause I would say just the same you posted in this forum: “you just married this person for the green card" let just see how that fells! Let’s do not judge people here... let just get advice.

I am not being judgemental. You urself said in your post that she is sticking it out for the GC. Out of curiousity your friend did not know the person prior to marriage?

Why are all these people making life for the rest of us difficult. Meaning the people who take their time to get married to the right person. As opposed to the people who just jump into marriage. This forum is filled with people who are constantly writing about one thing. They had all the the love but as soon as they came here, they find the spouse is a drunkard or whatever. This forum is also filled with people (check K1) section who are so in love and they have only met each other once.

You can call me whatever. The fact remains that there is a growing number of marriages that are breaking up prior to the removal conditions. With the anti immigration environment prevailing the country, very soon people will start complaining and USCIS will tighten their rules.

You can call me whatever. The fact remains that there is a growing number of marriages that are breaking up prior to the removal conditions. With the anti immigration environment prevailing the country, very soon people will start complaining and USCIS will tighten their rules.

A growing number of marriages are breaking up full stop. I don't mind that USCIS wants to make sure that people aren't getting into bogus marriages for immigration fraud.

But USCIS or anyone in the US govt has no right to tell people what is and isn't a good marriage, which is what you're doing. The purpose of conditional residency is to make sure that the marriage is legitimate, not whether its viable.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am not being judgemental. You urself said in your post that she is sticking it out for the GC. Out of curiousity your friend did not know the person prior to marriage?

Why are all these people making life for the rest of us difficult. Meaning the people who take their time to get married to the right person. As opposed to the people who just jump into marriage. This forum is filled with people who are constantly writing about one thing. They had all the the love but as soon as they came here, they find the spouse is a drunkard or whatever. This forum is also filled with people (check K1) section who are so in love and they have only met each other once.

oh no....not you again....have you finally taken your wife off her leash and not have her walk behind you???or even worse off,.....not let her drive the car?

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

LOL!!!! Give it up Aussielad, there's no use in arguing with someone like this person...

oh no....not you again....have you finally taken your wife off her leash and not have her walk behind you???or even worse off,.....not let her drive the car?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

OR

Or could be 3 years if married to the same USC from the time of PR with a black eye...and still living in hell.

Is her decision...that is more civil than immigration related right now.

WT?!# :blink:

Take a chill pill!!! I was merely pointing out that when Dan said it would add two years to get naturalized if she got divorced, it is because of the requirements, since most people assume it is 3 years after getting PR.

In case you didn't notice... this IS an IMMIGRATION related site, and thread. If people want civil help, then go watch Dr. Phil! :wacko:

Edited by roi_aggie

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.