9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Guyana
Timeline

Hello Vj Family ,

I need some help & I'm sure someone here can give me the answers I need , because I bet they were in the same boat as I am right now , anyways I came to the USA on a K-1 visa & on my passport have my Maiden name Ramnauth & now that I'm married to my Fiance , my name has changed to Dasrat , I would like to know if I will have any problems with Immigrations at the airport when travelling out of the USA , knowing that my Passport have my Maiden name Padmini Ramnauth & the rest of my documents such as USA ID CARD , GREEN CARD etc has my new name Padmini Dasrat , do I have to renew my Passport or not before I travel ? , plz help me , I need to go back home as soon as possible because my dad's life is hanging on a string right about now , he had 2 heart attacks early this year & he still in bed suffering :crying: .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Two things to remember - first, book your plane tickets in the same name that is in your passport. If it is your maiden name, then that is the one to use. Second, bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you and carry it with your identification. The marriage certificate is a legal document that can show you have changed your name from your maiden name to your married name. You do not have to update or renew your passport before you leave, especially when time is of the essence. As long as you have your green card, your passport and your marriage certificate showing the connection between you and the two documents, you should be fine. Having the extra identification of your State ID is also good.

Good luck to your Dad - may he recover soon and enjoy many more years of happy life - and safe travels to you as well.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello Vj Family ,

I need some help & I'm sure someone here can give me the answers I need , because I bet they were in the same boat as I am right now , anyways I came to the USA on a K-1 visa & on my passport have my Maiden name Ramnauth & now that I'm married to my Fiance , my name has changed to Dasrat , I would like to know if I will have any problems with Immigrations at the airport when travelling out of the USA , knowing that my Passport have my Maiden name Padmini Ramnauth & the rest of my documents such as USA ID CARD , GREEN CARD etc has my new name Padmini Dasrat , do I have to renew my Passport or not before I travel ? , plz help me , I need to go back home as soon as possible because my dad's life is hanging on a string right about now , he had 2 heart attacks early this year & he still in bed suffering :crying: .

first of all you do not go through US immigration at the airport upon departure...\

Buy your tickets in the name in your passport... carry your greencard and the document that changed your name (marriage certificate?) all will work...

YMMV

You may want to have the mods edit this thread as it has your first and last name in it.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Other Country: Guyana
Timeline
You may want to have the mods edit this thread as it has your first and last name in it.

Ok , I'm sorry ( Maiden name was ( Ramnauth & It changed to Dasrat ) when I got married in Jan 2008 .

My Passport have my maiden name Ramnauth & the rest of my documents here has Dasrat since I got married to my fiance here .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok , I'm sorry ( Maiden name was ( Ramnauth & It changed to Dasrat ) when I got married in Jan 2008 .

My Passport have my maiden name Ramnauth & the rest of my documents here has Dasrat since I got married to my fiance here .

Your situation is common... My wife is back home right now... She has the same situation...

YMMV

. . .

Ok then... :blink:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

mods cannot edit posts, only make them invisible. only ewok can edit posts.

in other news, this thread really belongs in the working and travelling forum

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Hey....sorry to hear about your Dad

i just say this post...

find the nearest Guyana Embassy and update your passport! We have 1 in NY!

its simple and takes only a few days. you only need to take your marriage certificate and id...thats it

Hello Vj Family ,

Damian & Sheleena

I-130

• 02/12/2007 - Mailed I-130 to Vermont Service Center
  • 02/20/2007 - NOA1
  • 04/30/2007 - Approved (77 days)

I-129F - K3 Visa

• 01/11/2007 - got hitched
  • 02/21/2007 - I-129F mailed to Chicago
  • 02/26/2007 - NOA1 (Notice date) - got it on 3/2/2007
  • 04/30/2007 - Approved (68 days). Sent to NVC
  • 05/04/2007 - Left NVC for Guyana
  • 05/15/2007 - Consulate (GY) Received packet
  • 06/01/2007 - Packet 3 Received
  • 06/12/2007 - Packet 3 Sent to GEO embassy. Interview date Received via email
  • 07/18/2007 - Packet 4 Received
  • 07/22/2007 - Interview #1 - both of us. about 30 minutes total. placed on AR
  • 11/19/2007 - Home visits
  • 01/24/2008 - Interview #2. Approved after 5 months on AR
  • 01/28/2008 - Visa issued
  • 01/30/2008 - home sweet home
  • 02/27/2008 - mailed AOS package - I-485 & EAD
  • 03/08/2008 - AOS NOA1 (Notice Date 3/4/08)
  • 03/10/2008 - EAD NOA1 (Notice Date 3/4/08)
  • 03/22/2008 - Biometrics Complete
  • 04/30/2008 - EAD Approved. "Card production ordered" - Notice via USCIS
  • 05/09/2008 - EAD Card Received. Applied for SSN#.
  • 06/02/2008 - AOS Interview - AOS approved!!
  • 06/20/2008 - GREENCARD in hand

I-751

• 03/09/2010 - Mailed I-751 to Vermont Service Center. Delivered 3/10 12PM. Check posted 3/15
  • 03/17/2010 - NOA Received
  • 06/01/2010 - Green-card Production ordered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.