peejay

My wife became a US citizen on June 25...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

My wife went to her naturalization ceremony on June 25 to become a US citizen. We had already filled out the US passport application, so when she came home from the naturalization ceremony with her naturalization certificate she went to the post office to apply for her passport. She just got her US passport on July 10. I really expected that it would take longer to get her passport. I also was surprised that her US citizenship application went through as quickly as it did.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
My wife went to her naturalization ceremony on June 25 to become a US citizen. We had already filled out the US passport application, so when she came home from the naturalization ceremony with her naturalization certificate she went to the post office to apply for her passport. She just got her US passport on July 10. I really expected that it would take longer to get her passport. I also was surprised that her US citizenship application went through as quickly as it did.

Did she get her naturalization certificate back from the state department?

Filed: Timeline

Congratulations! It's good to see post like yours. Gives a glimpse of hope for some of us who are still on the way to the citizenship journey.

Adjusting Status from H1B

May 28, 2005 - OUR WEDDING DAY

June 28, 2005 - Mailed I-130, I-485 & I-765 to Chicago Lockbox

July 15, 2005 - Checks were cashed.

July 16, 2005 - NOAs for I-130, I-485 & I-765

July 29, 2005 - Biometrics & Fingerprinting - DONE!

Sept. 6, 2005 - work permit approved - got an email notice

Sept. 12, 2005 - received work permit card in the mail

Dec. 6, 2005 - AOS interview

Dec. 8, 2005 - AOS approved!

March 6, 2006 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!!

Sept 8, 2007 - mailed docs for removal of condition

Sept 10, 2007- NOA

Oct. 24, 2007 - Biometrics

Dec. 5, 2007 - Case Approved. Green Card Ordered

Dec. 12, 2007 - received 10Y GC!!!

CITIZENSHIP

Sept 8, 2008 - mailed N400 application

Sept 9, 2008 - NOA

Oct. 2, 2008 - Biometrics

Jan. 7, 2009 - Interview

Feb. 26, 2009 - Oath Taking Ceremony - Los Angeles Convention Center

March 4, 2009 - Applied for U.S. Passport at the Post Office

April 6, 2009 - Received U.S. Passport in the Mail

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

No...not yet. She was told at the post office that it would be returned separately from her passport and it has not arrived in the mail yet.

Not to worry though. She has a US passport to prove she is a US citizen if necessary.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Congratulations! It's good to see post like yours. Gives a glimpse of hope for some of us who are still on the way to the citizenship journey.

Yes, same here! :thumbs:

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

Congratulations!!! :dance::dance::dance: . Your journey is finally over :thumbs:

K1 Timeline

02/26/2007 - Filed I-129F

03/08/2007 - NOA1

06/05/2007 - NOA2

09/10/2007 - Interview

09/13/2007 - Visa Received

12/14/2007 - Flight to USA, POE-LAX

02/22/2008 - Wedding Date

AOS

05/29/2008 - I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox

06/19/2008 - Biometrics

08/25/2008 - Card production ordered

08/30/2008 - Green Card received

ROC

07/15/2010 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

07/19/2010 - NOA1

07/21/2010 - Check cleared

08/11/2010 - Biometrics

08/24/2010 - Card production ordered

08/27/2010 - Approval notice received

08/30/2010 - Green card received

N400 - Naturalization

08/08/2011 - Mailed N400 to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

08/12/2011 - NOA

08/15/2011 - Check cashed

09/07/2011 - Biometrics

09/09/2011 - Case status update - In line for testing & interview

09/13/2011 - Case status update - Interview scheduled

09/16/2011 - Interview appointment letter received from the mail

10/31/2011 - Test/Interview - Passed

12/07/2011 - In line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

01/27/2012 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

No...not yet. She was told at the post office that it would be returned separately from her passport and it has not arrived in the mail yet.

Not to worry though. She has a US passport to prove she is a US citizen if necessary.

Just wondered about that, know of two friends that didn't get their naturalization certificate back and they did lose my birth certificate on mine, but that was only about ten bucks.

Someone posted you can file a claim with the State Department and they will pay the 400 bucks for a replacement, but dealing with the State Department and the USCIS isn't exactly the same as returning a new defective TV to Wal-Mart and getting your 400 bucks back. SS is also notorious for losing important documents, but the have offices all over the place and let you bring the originals in with good copies, compare and let you take the originals back.

I went to my clerk of court that is certified by the State Department to process passports, she saw my original birth certificate and a near perfect copy, but still had to send in the original that was lost, and I have lost documents with SS, so don't mail them in anymore, it's not that I am paranoid, just very poor experiences with government agencies and you can never find a person with enough brains to help you, you get shifted around like a hot potato. I paid a hundred bucks extra for expedient service with overnight delivery, and when that large envelop finally came in, the only thing in there was my passport, why couldn't they have tossed my birth certificate in there as well? But I gather that paper work is separated and the passport book is made in China or some other distant subsidiary. And our government hires people that are way overworked and underpaid, if you don't believe that, ask them.

About to enter this phase, heck if they lose her certificate like others that happened to friend of ours, cheapest way out is to just pay the 400 bucks. Just sounds how they do business is stupid and getting two agencies to work together, well, tantamount to a cat and dog getting along together. Know the latter is possible, but not so sure about the former.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.