Ricca711

Update & Questions

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Is he working now ? I may have misunderstood you.............he needs to wait for the EAD to work. If it expires he can renew it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

He had an interview yesterday and the employer wants to hire him. But the employer did not know if he would have to stop working or not after the EAD expires (he got the stamp at JFK). I was just trying to make sure I am versed on the topic in case the employer really does not know. I do not want any trouble when we go for the AOS interview. I also did not want to pay $300 plus dollars for a permit only to have to pay again when we adjust our status.

The AOS fee includes the EAD and AP fees. If you applied for the EAD before the AOS, then you are throwing away your money.

Besides, I think that an EAD that is applied for before AOS is only valid for the length of the I-94, which will not help you because that is what the temp EAD covers.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

The EAD fees are now included in the AOS fees $ 1010.

If the EAD stamp from JFK expires he has to stop working.

Ask in the AOS forum if it can be extended until you receive the GC. I believe so but am not sure. Someone will help you in the AOS forum.

Double check the answers.

Timeline
Is he working now ? I may have misunderstood you.............he needs to wait for the EAD to work. If it expires he can renew it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

He had an interview yesterday and the employer wants to hire him. But the employer did not know if he would have to stop working or not after the EAD expires (he got the stamp at JFK). I was just trying to make sure I am versed on the topic in case the employer really does not know. I do not want any trouble when we go for the AOS interview. I also did not want to pay $300 plus dollars for a permit only to have to pay again when we adjust our status.

The AOS fee includes the EAD and AP fees. If you applied for the EAD before the AOS, then you are throwing away your money.

Besides, I think that an EAD that is applied for before AOS is only valid for the length of the I-94, which will not help you because that is what the temp EAD covers.

He received an EAD stamp at JFK.

Timeline

Exactly. So applying for the EAD before AOS is just going to be throwing money away because he already has the temp EAD.

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Ricca, according to what you typed, the civil surgeon is correct. If the medical done in Ghana was NOT done by an approved civil surgeon, then it has to be redone irregardless of the one year period. However, I believe Samuel went to Akai House and that is an approved civil surgeon in Ghana so he doesn't have to redo it unless it has been more than a year since he had the examination.

Driver's license rules vary by state, so hopefully someone from your state with experience will come on or call the DMV and ask them yourself.

The EAD from JFK expires at the 90 day mark and Samuel would need to stop working until his EAD card arrives from USCIS. Were he to not stop working, the employer could be fined. It's averaging about 3 months to get EAD now, or so it seems from VJ stats.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline
Ricca, according to what you typed, the civil surgeon is correct. If the medical done in Ghana was NOT done by an approved civil surgeon, then it has to be redone irregardless of the one year period. However, I believe Samuel went to Akai House and that is an approved civil surgeon in Ghana so he doesn't have to redo it unless it has been more than a year since he had the examination.

The thing about this is that the Dr. in the foreign country is required to be embassy approved to meet the visa approval requirements. Won't the fiance always be exempt from having to re-do the whole medical because of that?

Timeline

The thing about this is that the Dr. in the foreign country is required to be embassy approved to meet the visa approval requirements. Won't the fiance always be exempt from having to re-do the whole medical because of that?

My understanding is that if the medical was not done by a physician approved by the embassy then the beneficiary would not get the visa. They would have to redo the medical at an approved physicians office.

That being said, as long as the medical was done within the past year a new medical does not have to be redone.

Click for full timeline

Timeline

I disagree with Zainab. ( Sorry Z )

The CS are IMO misinformed from USCIS or don't understand the regulations if they insist on another medical.

I am sure that as per USCIS regulations and instructions on the form that they do NOT need another medical, only the missing vaccinations, usually

the chicken pox vacc which is not readily available in sub-saharan Africa.

Look for another CS or send it to Dr. Arnold and it will cost you only $ 20 to transfer the vacc. instead of hundreds for another medical.

Can someone post the paragraph on the form pertaining to this please.

Timeline

My understanding is that if the medical was not done by a physician approved by the embassy then the beneficiary would not get the visa. They would have to redo the medical at an approved physicians office.

That being said, as long as the medical was done within the past year a new medical does not have to be redone.

I agree Zainab...........now I got my Zainabs confused. OK, I disagree with Bassi's Z and agree with Zenusah's Z.

We need to rename one of you :blush:

Timeline
What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?

A. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e), or as a

B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen, and

C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then

a. You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination.

b. You will, however, be required to complete Part 1, Information about you, and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification.

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My understanding is that is not true in all countries. Therefore, it may not apply to Ricca in Ghana, but it does apply to others who did not have to follow those rules to receive the visa for entry. There was a thread on VJ in the past that I read and the woman and her child were from some asian country as I recall (Indonesia is stuck in my head, but I don't think that was it) and there was no civil surgeons in her country so she was allowed to go to any doctor but had to go to a civil surgeon in the US to do a complete medical and adjust status. Maybe someone who is better on VJ than I am can search for it. It was posted within the last year cause I haven't been on VJ that long.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline

I can see needing a new medical in that case.

For countries where there is an approved panel physician then the medical has to be performed by them or no visa.

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.