allousa

My Husband's Father was Deported Yesterday

301 posts in this topic

Un-fricking-believable. I'm so sorry, allousa, and angry on your behalf. Sic the lawyers on 'em.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am horrified and angered at what has been done to your family. There is nothing that can be said or done that can fix what your family had to go through, no apology or reimbursement will ever be sufficient but I am glad you are choosing to fight what happened. Unless somebody stands up and says "this is not ok!" it will continue to happen. Thank you for being that person. You are in for a long struggle and I wish you all the strength you will need to see this through.

I hope that justice will be served and those who have abused their power will be held accountable.

my thoughts and support are with you.

Filed: Timeline
Keep in mind that his father is 70 and mother 65 and only his father speaks a very small amount of English.

Is it at all possible that your FIL misunderstood a line of questioning in secondary inspection, that precipitated the CBP agents to believe that he was misusing his visa?

Techically, this is expedited removal, rather than deportation, btw.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Keep in mind that his father is 70 and mother 65 and only his father speaks a very small amount of English.

Is it at all possible that your FIL misunderstood a line of questioning in secondary inspection, that precipitated the CBP agents to believe that he was misusing his visa?

I don't see how anything her FIL could have said made him deserve that kind of treatment. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. It is something I would expect of some other countries, but I would like to think we are better than that.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Anything is possible, but we don't even know what he was denied entry for, so how can we say it was because of that.

I am aware that the technical term is "expedited removal", I just chose deported as most people would probably understand that better.

The translation for his father was done by telephone and not in person. My fears have been exactly that the translation was misunderstood. But we will never know for sure.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

I don't see how anything her FIL could have said made him deserve that kind of treatment. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. It is something I would expect of some other countries, but I would like to think we are better than that.

I'm not condoning any harsh punishment, but expedited removal is a privilege afforded border agents to remove aliens that they have reason to believe are either misusing a document, or have counterfeit documents, or are otherwise inadmissible. Placing an alien in detention is customary, albeit, I would not wish to spend the night in jail, I can't imagine being in jail for any reason would be pleasant. The issue here is to find out why the CBP thought her FIL was not entitled to enter. Once that information is ascertained, it may or may not shed light onto whether his treatment was out of ordinary.

"diaddie mermaid"

Timeline

I'm not condoning any harsh punishment, but expedited removal is a privilege afforded border agents to remove aliens that they have reason to believe are either misusing a document, or have counterfeit documents, or are otherwise inadmissible. Placing an alien in detention is customary, albeit, I would not wish to spend the night in jail, I can't imagine being in jail for any reason would be pleasant. The issue here is to find out why the CBP thought her FIL was not entitled to enter. Once that information is ascertained, it may or may not shed light onto whether his treatment was out of ordinary.

The fact that this was their 4th time visiting, I have a hard time understanding what reason they could have come up with to deny him entry. Also, his mother was given entry and they filed for and were granted visas at the same time. Also, the documents they presented to German officials upon entry in were in order. Even the German officials were confused as to why his father was turned away!

I just wonder how you would feel about your father spending a night in jail in a foreign land where he didn't speak the language.

The issue here is also the complete abuse of their authority. Why was it necessary to keep us all detained for such a long period of time when there were no other people being interviewed? Why was it necessary to continually lie to us, yell at us and treat us so harshly? Why was it necessary to not even inform us why his father was being detained and then removed?

How can you deem this "ordinary" treatment???????

:angry:

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The fact that this was their 4th time visiting, I have a hard time understanding what reason they could have come up with to deny him entry. Also, his mother was given entry and they filed for and were granted visas at the same time. Also, the documents they presented to German officials upon entry in were in order. Even the German officials were confused as to why his father was turned away!

I just wonder how you would feel about your father spending a night in jail in a foreign land where he didn't speak the language.

The issue here is also the complete abuse of their authority. Why was it necessary to keep us all detained for such a long period of time when there were no other people being interviewed? Why was it necessary to continually lie to us, yell at us and treat us so harshly? Why was it necessary to not even inform us why his father was being detained and then removed?

Even if a 70 year old man did say something by mistake to incriminate himself, I do not believe US officials of any kind are entitled to mistreat him so badly to the point his mouth was bleeding. I may be mistaken, but aren't law officers under strict guidelines as to how they are to treat criminals?? I know they can use force to bring a criminal under control, but I have a realllllllllllllllllllly hard time believing a 70 year old man was making any officer feel threatened or trying to put up a fight. Even if he was the most-wanted terrorist, I still don't believe they are entitled to abuse him.

I didn't realize that this was their 4th time coming to the states. Unbelievable.

"True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment. This inner alignment with Now is the end of suffering. Is suffering really necessary? Yes and no. If you had not suffered as you have, there would be no depth to you as a human being, no humility, no compassion. You would not be reading this now. Suffering cracks open the shell of ego, and then comes a point when it has served its purpose. Suffering is necessary until you realize it is unnecessary." Eckhart Tolle

usmorocco-1.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I cannot even begin to fathom your line of thinking here. IF the FIL said something 'incriminating' why could the patrol officers not tell the son why his father was being deported? Of even more concern is since it was probably obvious that the FIL didn't speak good english, why not allow some translator to make sure he understood. There is NO reason for the treatment this poor man received. I don't know Allousa personally but I'm ready to spit nails over this whole thing. Utterly embarassed to be a citizen of a country that allows this nonsense. How in God's name do these people sleep with themselves at night??? :blink: I hope you are able to get some resolution Allousa. I know no amount of anything is going to make this go away, but at least knowing what happened that started the incident will give you some closure. Knowing that your FIL spent a night in jail for nothing....grrrrrrr.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Timeline

I am so sorry to read this happened to your FIL and to all of you. What a horrible experience. I do pray that you do learn what really happened. To be left with questions is so wrong.

Doreen

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SupportingMoroccanLove/

6/14/03 Met Online

9/30/2003 He was denied a Tourist Visa

1/7/2004 Sent 1-129F-tried to prove hardship; many reasons

8/8/2004 Petition denied

After 214 Days of waiting

10/11/2004 Returned from Morocco even more in love.

11/15/2004 Mailed I-129F off to Nebraska

2/11/05 APPROVAL

2/14/05 EMAIL, OUR PETITION HAS BEEN APPROVED

86 Days what an awesome feeling

2/25/05 Email received from nvc, given case number

3/21/05 Email from consulate

b]INTERVIEW DATE 5/10/05[/b]

3/31/05 Fiance finally receives his packet from the consulate

4/12/05 He had medical exam

5/10/05 INTERVIEW WAS A SUCCESS

5/18/05 VISA IN HAND

Took 214 Days for a denial, but IN 205 days He will be HOME

6/10/05 Abdou arrives in America, what a happy day!

6/13/05 Applied for SSN

6/23/05 6 p.m. We were MARRIED; honeymoon in Gatlinburg

8/13/05 AOS and EAD paperwork mailed

8/25/05 NOAs in the mail!!! Yea!

11/25/05 - BIOMETRIC DATE

01/26/06 - AOS SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW AND HE GETS HIS FIRST JOB AT FIRST JOB INTERVIEW

02/13/06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED

4/22/06 - Driver's License!!

11/05/2007 Filed to Lift conditions[/color]

11/07/07 - NOA1 received

12/21/07 - Biometrics completed

04/08/08 - 10 YEAR CARD APPROVED

04/14/08 - CARD IN HAND !!!!!

11/3/08 - Filed for Citizenship

11/29/08 - Biometric Appointment

02/03/09 - Citizenship Interview, HE PASSED

Really? 4th time visiting *could* indicate immigrant intent, if other evidence to assure that there isn't immigrant intent was not offered, no? Also, I am not deeming this "ordinary" treatment. Without more facts as to the specific line of questioning, the answers, implied or uttered, and all of the outrage from this unfortunate incident is simply emotional and not based upon examining whether CBP or DHS abused their authority. I would not like anyone to spend a night in jail, unnecessarily, but as we have said, we do not know the details yet. When all details are shared is the appropriate time to react. Until then it is simply premature.

Normally, and again I dont know if this was a normal expedited removal situation, if an alien presents himself at a border for inspection, if the CBP have good reason to suspect that either documents are incomplete, not legitimate, or documents that are being presented are being misused, they will advise the alien and offer the alien an opportunity to withdraw his request for admission. In situations where CBP does not consider an alien applicant admissible, (for example if CBP finds evidence of immigrant intent or more especially if in a prior attempt to enter the CP cuationed the applicant that it appeared there migth be immigrant intent, yet the applicant arrives at the border once more), CBP might prepare a formal statement of the refusal on Form I-275, Withdrawal of Application for Admission/Consular Notification, and Form I-877, Record of Sworn Statement in Administrative Proceedings.

By preparing these documents CBP is essentially offering the alien the opportunity to withdraw his or her application for admission rather than face the more severe repercussions as being placed in expedited removal or being detained for a removal hearing before an immigration judge.

If this option is offered to the alien, the applicant who withdraws his or her application for admission is not considered formally removed. As result, the immigration laws do not prohibit an applicant from reapplying despite previously withdrawing an application. Once again, we do not know the details, but if it was a case of the FIL having received some difficulty in a prior visit, that was in essence a caution, it is recommended that these aliens consult with an attorney before going back to the border to avoid further damaging their case and reduce the risk of being subject to expedited removal. Without knowing the context of his questioning, or the specific reason noted on his passport for refusal of entry...we are speculating. It could have been a simple technicality that rendered him inadmissible. For example, say the MIL and he carried current passports, but your FIL's passport expired in less than 6 months, it would be appropriate to detain him and not her. Refusal doesn't *have* to be a case of clear profiling or discrimination as your outrage currently implies.

Of course, the decision whether to allow an alien to withdraw is solely within the discretion of the inspecting officer and CBP may issue an expedited removal order, rather than permit withdrawal, where the applicant engaged in obvious, deliberate fraud, (i.e. the presentation of counterfeit or fraudulent documents). Furthermorw, if the facts of the case indicate particularly egregious immigration violations, such as long-term or repeated previous overstays, unauthorized employment in the United States, or evidence that the applicant is likely to remain beyond his or her authorized stay or otherwise violate his or her status, an expedited removal order may be issued. Again, we don't know the specifics. With a language barrier, ait is conceivable that the FIL was not aware of the complexity and repercussions of his answers, or it might have been a case of his not knowing the answer, or not knowing that the answer he offered was one that would generate such a reaction.

Be aware that an order for expedited removal could carry a five-year bar to reentry to the country if the alien presented him or herself at the border without proper documentation (INA § 212 (a) (7) (A)), and if it is believed that the alien engaged in misrepresentation/fraud (INA § 212 (a) (6) ©) the alien can be considered inadmissible for life.

"diaddie mermaid"

I cannot even begin to fathom your line of thinking here. IF the FIL said something 'incriminating' why could the patrol officers not tell the son why his father was being deported? Of even more concern is since it was probably obvious that the FIL didn't speak good english, why not allow some translator to make sure he understood. There is NO reason for the treatment this poor man received. I don't know Allousa personally but I'm ready to spit nails over this whole thing. Utterly embarassed to be a citizen of a country that allows this nonsense. How in God's name do these people sleep with themselves at night??? :blink: I hope you are able to get some resolution Allousa. I know no amount of anything is going to make this go away, but at least knowing what happened that started the incident will give you some closure. Knowing that your FIL spent a night in jail for nothing....grrrrrrr.

I cannot "fathom" your willingness to jump to extremes without further information! Why would the CBP be obliged to inform the son of their actions? Is that a requirement? I believe that a translator was engaged, if I read the information offered properly. Whether the FIL understood the consequences of his choices (if any) or his answers doesn't simply rest on whether a translation was accurate. It could simply have been that he was unaware of what could render him inadmissible. Again, we don't know, but to jump to condemning the USA without specific facts is equally as irresponsible, in my opinion.

"diaddie mermaid"

Even if a 70 year old man did say something by mistake to incriminate himself, I do not believe US officials of any kind are entitled to mistreat him so badly to the point his mouth was bleeding. I may be mistaken, but aren't law officers under strict guidelines as to how they are to treat criminals?? I know they can use force to bring a criminal under control, but I have a realllllllllllllllllllly hard time believing a 70 year old man was making any officer feel threatened or trying to put up a fight. Even if he was the most-wanted terrorist, I still don't believe they are entitled to abuse him.

I didn't realize that this was their 4th time coming to the states. Unbelievable.

That he was physically abused while detained is conjecture, admitted by the OP. Let's stick to the facts known, please.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

I cannot "fathom" your willingness to jump to extremes without further information! Why would the CBP be obliged to inform the son of their actions? Is that a requirement? I believe that a translator was engaged, if I read the information offered properly. Whether the FIL understood the consequences of his choices (if any) or his answers doesn't simply rest on whether a translation was accurate. It could simply have been that he was unaware of what could render him inadmissible. Again, we don't know, but to jump to condemning the USA without specific facts is equally as irresponsible, in my opinion.

I believe you are offering quite of bit of speculation yourself without knowing exactly what happened either. If its ok for you to do that, then its ok for other members to express their outrage towards the situation as well. I'm not exactly sure why you are going to such great lenghs to defend the officers actions at this point. The fact is none of us really know what happened. But we are offering our support to Allousa and her family, which at this point is all we can do.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow, you're hardcore, Diaddie.... and brutal. My heart still aches for what your family went through Allousa and I hope you get details soon and this can be resolved (for everyone). Regardless of the circumstance, I don't believe in any way that your FIL deserved the abuse you have described. There's no reason to be that harsh w/ a 70 y/o man unless he's wielding a gun in your face or has a bomb strapped to him. That's just wrong!

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.