Flames9_RN

Biometrics

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Howdy. I had my Biometrics completed today for Naturalization, but they did NOT take a digital photo. He sat me down like he was going to take a photo, but another employee required help, so he went and helped her. And when he came back, we did the fingerprinting, but no photo. I'm fairly certain when I did my Biometrics for my 10 yr greencard (I came in on a cr-1), they took a picture as well as fingerprints. So I'm just curious to know if they should have taken a photo?? Thanks

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Howdy. I had my Biometrics completed today for Naturalization, but they did NOT take a digital photo. He sat me down like he was going to take a photo, but another employee required help, so he went and helped her. And when he came back, we did the fingerprinting, but no photo. I'm fairly certain when I did my Biometrics for my 10 yr greencard (I came in on a cr-1), they took a picture as well as fingerprints. So I'm just curious to know if they should have taken a photo?? Thanks

N-400 clearly states to send in two approved passport photos. My wife liked that as I took over a dozen shots so she could pick out the one she liked. I size those using Corel to fit a standard 4 by 6" photo with six identical pictures on it, e-mailed that to Wal-Greens and picked it up for 19 cents by following the USCIS guidelines for passport photos.

Wondered why we still had to pay 80 bucks for just the fingerprints where the last two times got the photos thrown into the deal.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes it clearly states sending in the pictures, which I did. I'm asking about BIOMETRICS, are they suppose to take a digital picture AS well as fingerprints? I'm certain when I had to go in for a Biomtrics appt for my 10 yr gren card they took a picture as well.

If one goes onto USCIS.gov and odes a biometrics search, it explains why one has to pay the fee again.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/DecCBOQ&A.pdf question # 10 and 11

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes, they have taken both fingerprints and photos of both my wife and daughter for both the two and ten year green cards, but just the fingerprints for the N-400. Several have posted here that filed after we did, they are not even taking the fingerprints, but using the ones they gathered for the I-751 provided they have been taken in the last 15 months. Since we filed 90 days before my wife's 3rd anniversary date and well before she received her ten year green card, her prints were only eleven months, but we still had to make that trip that costs us much more than that eighty dollars.

The question was asked by several, if they didn't take neither the prints and definitely not the photos, you have to submit those yourself, why did they have to pay the 80 bucks. I see that question is answered in the site you posted above.

"10. Question: Necessity of charging a biometric fee when using previously captured biometric data: One of our affiliates has many Salvadoran TPS clients who upon re-registering for TPS paid the I-765 filing fee and biometrics fee. These applicants are now receiving I-797 notices from USCIS that state “USCIS has received your Form I-821 and is currently processing your application. This notice informs you that USCIS is able to reuse your previously captured fingerprints and other biometrics. USCIS will run the same security checks and use your biometric data as in the past, however, it is not necessary for you to appear at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for a biometrics appointment. The biometrics fee will not be refunded.”

Response: Regardless of whether an applicant is required to appear at an ASC, he/she is required to pay the biometrics fee or submit a fee waiver request if the applicant is age 14 or older. The fee will cover the USCIS costs associated with the use of the collected biometrics for FBI and other background checks. In addition, the fee helps pay for the costs of electronic storage of an applicants’ biometrics, maintenance of the systems and technology for storing and utilizing the fingerprints, and for paying costs associated with requesting the FBI’s reports to USCIS, among other biometrics-related procedures. USCIS fees fund the cost of processing applications and petitions for immigration benefits and services, and USCIS’ associated operating costs. See, e.g., INA, § 286(m); 8 U.S.C. § 1356(m) (allowing for full recovery of costs of providing adjudication and naturalization services). See also Department of Justice Appropriations Act for FY 1998, Pub.L.No. 1050119, 111 Stat. 2440, 248 (authorizing fingerprinting fee – now termed “biometrics fee” – for any application or petition requiring fingerprints)."

And again in question 11:

"11. Question: If USCIS is indeed using previously captured biometrics, why are applicants required to submit the biometrics fee? Is it not necessary for them to submit the biometrics fee if they’ve previously been printed/photographed at an ASC?

Response: As noted in the response to Question 10, the biometric fee covers many costs associated with the processing of biometrics beyond the mere physical collection of fingerprints and photographs at an ASC. Therefore, whenever an immigration benefit requires biometrics and the associated biometrics fee from an applicant, petitioner or beneficiary, the individual must pay that fee or submit a biometric fee waiver request. As noted, the biometrics fee is used for costs associated with updating of FBI and other background and security checks, electronic storage of the biometrics, maintenance of the biometric systems and technology, costs associated with processing FBI reports to USCIS, among other biometrics-related procedures. USCIS fees fund the cost of processing applications and petitions for immigration benefits and services, and USCIS’ associated operating costs. See, e.g., INA, § 286(m); 8 U.S.C. § 1356(m) (allowing for full recovery of costs of providing adjudication and naturalization services). See also Department of Justice Appropriations Act for FY 1998, Pub.L.No. 1050119, 111 Stat. 2440, 248 (authorizing fingerprinting fee – now termed “biometrics fee” – for any application or petition requiring fingerprints)."

So we still have to pay that $80.00 fee whether they take our prints again or not. But for us, that $80.00 fee is nothing compared to the expense and inconvenience of that very long trip to our nearest field office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.