How is your spouse adjusting

281 posts in this topic

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Not to harp on this but I had toxemia with both children and never ever went on welfare. I don't know why that bothers me about the welfare comment but not everyone who lives in mass is on welfare!!! I do feel sorry for your situation though Wahrania and hope that it gets better soon.

NOOOOOOOOO

We know they dont. We just know its so damn good up there WITH WELFARE and social services. I literally know 2 people who moved from Florida to Mass just to go to a homeless shelter up there so they could get a free apartment. ( A girl down the street from me with 2 kids) New York has a much better system too. If you get sick in Florida or lose your job, you are OUT OF LUCK. We have very few unions here. Everything is a free for all as far as benefits and pay.

An ultrasound tech for example can make 25 here a year and well over 60. Yeah they cant maybe buy a house in Mass but rents are comparable and there is alot more benefits and protecion. They even HAVE to cover infertility up there...

Where in Florida do you live?

Filed: Timeline
Not to harp on this but I had toxemia with both children and never ever went on welfare. I don't know why that bothers me about the welfare comment but not everyone who lives in mass is on welfare!!! I do feel sorry for your situation though Wahrania and hope that it gets better soon.

NOOOOOOOOO

We know they dont. We just know its so damn good up there WITH WELFARE and social services. I literally know 2 people who moved from Florida to Mass just to go to a homeless shelter up there so they could get a free apartment. ( A girl down the street from me with 2 kids) New York has a much better system too. If you get sick in Florida or lose your job, you are OUT OF LUCK. We have very few unions here. Everything is a free for all as far as benefits and pay.

An ultrasound tech for example can make 25 here a year and well over 60. Yeah they cant maybe buy a house in Mass but rents are comparable and there is alot more benefits and protecion. They even HAVE to cover infertility up there...

Mid///

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

NOOOOOOOOO

Mid///

We're in Tallahassee. Work here right now is so hit or miss, and the living conditions are just crumbling.

Like I said HE IS A VERY LAID BACK GUY. This is not the norm that there are NEVER problems and things are always perfect. Its kind of like kids. One kid could have colic 24 hours a day , the next sleep through the night. I think how they adjust has a tremendous amount to do with the SPOUSE'S attitude. If he is repeatedly applying for jobs, easily taking the bus without complaint and never compares you to people back home, you have a JEWEL. All I can say is maybe your are either extremely lucky or like I said, you really planned for him to be here.

Also, You are in a major metropolitan area with an EXTREMELY easy to navigate public transport system . Some of us have to walk 2 miles to a bus that comes once every hour or more

About my pre eclampsia. I work a 1099 job . I am my own boss. I not only DO NOT HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE, I also have no rights about employment nor do I get ANY MONEY if I dont work. I dont have an employer per se although I get paid. Also MASS is a state where they give lots of medical coverage as well as having a great school system and public welfare system and public transport system. I live in Florida , the land of no unions, crappy public transport full of tourists wandering around.Your doctor could put you on bedrest and someone would care and give you time off. I have no where to turn because this is a right to work state with no rights for pregnant women as far as freebies

I just think its a little polly anna for us to compare how they adjust because of all the variables. My husband cannot easily get ANYWHERE by himself because the buses are next to impossible to navigate even for us locals,especially in 100 percent humidity and 90 degree heat .

We are all in COMPLETELY different situations, with different economic situations ( we have had this discussion on the boards etc. ) Some of us make 80,000 a year. Some make 10,000 . Some have co sponsors. I just think so many factors factor in in adjusting... A wife making a ton of money has got to help in the adjustments ( I dont know what you make so I dont know)

It doesnt make it easy that I am the sole support of my family and very sick... Laid back would really help but I didnt get that lucky.. Its no reflection on you.

Its just that you cant compare because you dont know all the variable.s

I disagree with this. How do you know what the norm is for all MENA men? My husband is also VERY laid back so are all the men in my family. I would say that many of the women in this forum would say their husbands are very laid back as well. This is a personality thing and really has nothing to do with MENA.

From a mans point of view don't get mad if he doesn't changeY you married him for who he is, not who you want him to be.

I think a woman would say the same. :)

:thumbs:

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Like I said HE IS A VERY LAID BACK GUY. This is not the norm that there are NEVER problems and things are always perfect. Its kind of like kids. One kid could have colic 24 hours a day , the next sleep through the night. I think how they adjust has a tremendous amount to do with the SPOUSE'S attitude. If he is repeatedly applying for jobs, easily taking the bus without complaint and never compares you to people back home, you have a JEWEL. All I can say is maybe your are either extremely lucky or like I said, you really planned for him to be here.

Also, You are in a major metropolitan area with an EXTREMELY easy to navigate public transport system . Some of us have to walk 2 miles to a bus that comes once every hour or more

About my pre eclampsia. I work a 1099 job . I am my own boss. I not only DO NOT HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE, I also have no rights about employment nor do I get ANY MONEY if I dont work. I dont have an employer per se although I get paid. Also MASS is a state where they give lots of medical coverage as well as having a great school system and public welfare system and public transport system. I live in Florida , the land of no unions, crappy public transport full of tourists wandering around.Your doctor could put you on bedrest and someone would care and give you time off. I have no where to turn because this is a right to work state with no rights for pregnant women as far as freebies

I just think its a little polly anna for us to compare how they adjust because of all the variables. My husband cannot easily get ANYWHERE by himself because the buses are next to impossible to navigate even for us locals,especially in 100 percent humidity and 90 degree heat .

We are all in COMPLETELY different situations, with different economic situations ( we have had this discussion on the boards etc. ) Some of us make 80,000 a year. Some make 10,000 . Some have co sponsors. I just think so many factors factor in in adjusting... A wife making a ton of money has got to help in the adjustments ( I dont know what you make so I dont know)

It doesnt make it easy that I am the sole support of my family and very sick... Laid back would really help but I didnt get that lucky.. Its no reflection on you.

I disagree with this. How do you know what the norm is for all MENA men? My husband is also VERY laid back so are all the men in my family. I would say that many of the women in this forum would say their husbands are very laid back as well. This is a personality thing and really has nothing to do with MENA.

From a mans point of view don't get mad if he doesn't changeY you married him for who he is, not who you want him to be.

Its hard to be laid back when you are experiencing violence all around you for a 15 year period with buildings getting blown up ( like the UN in December), daily bombings and a violence level that has exceeded the deaths in all Mena countries combined except IRAQ wartime.I dont think anyone coming out of a war zone is going to be as laid back as people from a relatively stable place terrorism wise. I dont think its all personality whatsover. I think each one of us is an amalgamation of everything we have experienced,

PS, I have known several Jordanians and almost all of them were very kind and softspoken. Egyptians have gone either way but they have not been living in a war situation whether it be terrorism 24 hours a day or a war zone. When you have never had running water in your house or a toilet in your house ( which I will bet huge money your husband had at least a normal environment, moving here was not a big deal.) If you are coming from a place without even in house refridgeration and no shower or bath in the house and then being deluged with a completely different culture , its a shock. Everything is completely relevant. Its relevant to what you left. Its relevant to what you arrive to. Its relevant to what you are dealing with.

Remember JP, you have family taking care of you pregnant which has got to alleviate alot of whatever stress you have on you. I am the sole support of my family with no one taking care of me having to provide for my husband who is much more of a fish out of water than yours. For you to tell me its completely personality is short changing me as well. I think everything we get is an amalgation of everything the spouse has been through prior to getting here. Leaving a country that has its UN building blown up and daily bombings and kidnappings makes it only equal to Iraq as far as the daily stress level that they deal with. Palestians are also in the same boat, albeit someone in Gaza is living a hell where as Jordan , things are more chill

Its hard to be laid back when you are experiencing violence all around you for a 15 year period with buildings getting blown up ( like the UN in December), daily bombings and a violence level that has exceeded the deaths in all Mena countries combined except IRAQ wartime.I dont think anyone coming out of a war zone is going to be as laid back as people from a relatively stable place terrorism wise. I dont think its all personality whatsover. I think each one of us is an amalgamation of everything we have experienced,

PS, I have known several Jordanians and almost all of them were very kind and softspoken. Egyptians have gone either way but they have not been living in a war situation whether it be terrorism 24 hours a day or a war zone. When you have never had running water in your house or a toilet in your house ( which I will bet huge money your husband had at least a normal environment, moving here was not a big deal.) If you are coming from a place without even in house refridgeration and no shower or bath in the house and then being deluged with a completely different culture , its a shock. Everything is completely relevant. Its relevant to what you left. Its relevant to what you arrive to. Its relevant to what you are dealing with.

Remember JP, you have family taking care of you pregnant which has got to alleviate alot of whatever stress you have on you. I am the sole support of my family with no one taking care of me having to provide for my husband who is much more of a fish out of water than yours. For you to tell me its completely personality is short changing me as well. I think everything we get is an amalgation of everything the spouse has been through prior to getting here. Leaving a country that has its UN building blown up and daily bombings and kidnappings makes it only equal to Iraq as far as the daily stress level that they deal with. Palestians are also in the same boat, albeit someone in Gaza is living a hell where as Jordan , things are more chill

Something to think about though

I think its very very important to remember that we are all an AMALGAMATION of all of our experiences. What we see daily affects our perceptions. The environment your spouse arrives to affects their adjustments. I have absolutely zero Moroccans or Algerians within a 10 mile radius of me ( I live in Downtown.. they live in the suburbs) so my husband has only interacted with Americans since he has been here. He has made amazing progress daily although we go foward and back alot based on daily things. He is NOT hanging out with anyone due to no car and poor public transport and I am working full time. In his culture, the women do EVERYTHING which I saw there.... secondly I have a strong suspicion that my husband was a lot poorer than alot of people on these boards and suffered tremendously all his life.. then pack terrorism and unrest and terrorism on top of it, its going to make anyone hypervigilant for just about everything.

Everyone is an amalgation of everything they have been through and seen and seen people go through. Period.

There is no country that is immune from terrorism and Jordan has had it's fair share over the years. Your husband is not from Iraq and is not in a war zone. I personally know several people that have come from Iraq in the last 5 years and they are very laid back. If you have a high strung personality, then that is who you are.

You know, I'm so sick of you generalizing everyone and everything, especially ARABS. You aren't an ARAB so who the hell gave you the green light to generalize everything about us? Just because you know a few people, doesn't mean you know squat. We are all different. Just like with any other race. There are several people in Jordan and many other countries that DON"T have running water in their homes. My husband wan't born with a silver spoon in his mouth dear. Culture shock and personality are TWO seperate things, you are comparing apples and oranges.

First off, my family doesn't support us financially nor have they ever. My mom might cook dinner for me or help out with laundry but that doesn't alleviate any stress at all. We have our fair share of stress as well, we just deal with it differently. When my husband arrived, he was just as much a fish out of water as your husband is. I was patient with him, helped him and tried my best to understand his situation. He started working and that was that.

My husband being laid back has NOTHING to do with him being Jordanian because Jordan is well known for having some really high strung men. His personality however is laid back.

You know Wahrania, you aren't the only pregnant hormonal person on this board, but that doesn't give you a license to say whatever the hell you want. You knew your financial situation before you got pregnant didn't you? I knew what mine was and I made the choice to start family. Ultimatly we are all responsible for our choices.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

There is no country that is immune from terrorism and Jordan has had it's fair share over the years. Your husband is not from Iraq and is not in a war zone. I personally know several people that have come from Iraq in the last 5 years and they are very laid back. If you have a high strung personality, then that is who you are.

You know, I'm so sick of you generalizing everyone and everything, especially ARABS. You aren't an ARAB so who the hell gave you the green light to generalize everything about us? Just because you know a few people, doesn't mean you know squat. We are all different. Just like with any other race. There are several people in Jordan and many other countries that DON"T have running water in their homes. My husband wan't born with a silver spoon in his mouth dear. Culture shock and personality are TWO seperate things, you are comparing apples and oranges.

First off, my family doesn't support us financially nor have they ever. My mom might cook dinner for me or help out with laundry but that doesn't alleviate any stress at all. We have our fair share of stress as well, we just deal with it differently. When my husband arrived, he was just as much a fish out of water as your husband is. I was patient with him, helped him and tried my best to understand his situation. He started working and that was that.

My husband being laid back has NOTHING to do with him being Jordanian because Jordan is well known for having some really high strung men. His personality however is laid back.

You know Wahrania, you aren't the only pregnant hormonal person on this board, but that doesn't give you a license to say whatever the hell you want. You knew your financial situation before you got pregnant didn't you? I knew what mine was and I made the choice to start family. Ultimatly we are all responsible for our choices.

:thumbs: thank you!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I agree :thumbs:

with you JP

596696z2ypf41694.gif

I - 130

3.26.08 - NOA2 - APPROVAL IN 493 DAYS!!

NVC

7.22.08 - CASE COMPLETED IN 90 DAYS - THANK GOD!!

Embassy

9.29.08-Interview - AP (2 weeks)

10.15.08 - AP over :) Embassy called hubby to go get his Visa - HAPPIEST DAY!!!

10.20.08 - Visa Issued

11.25.08 - POE (JFK then SFO)

11.26.08 - Visa Journey is Over!! TOOK 737 DAYS....Habibi is Home!! :) :)

USA

11.25.08 - POE

12.10.08 - Applied for SS Card

12.15.08 - Welcome Letter Received

12.17.08 - SS Card Received

12.26.08 - Green Card Received :)

Begin Naturalization process 2011 ~ Inshallah

mybanner493ead35e2041shfr8.th.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Well my husband's country is not stable either with on and off again violence and my hubby is laid back as well.... so JP is right!

Something to think about though

I think its very very important to remember that we are all an AMALGAMATION of all of our experiences. What we see daily affects our perceptions. The environment your spouse arrives to affects their adjustments. I have absolutely zero Moroccans or Algerians within a 10 mile radius of me ( I live in Downtown.. they live in the suburbs) so my husband has only interacted with Americans since he has been here. He has made amazing progress daily although we go foward and back alot based on daily things. He is NOT hanging out with anyone due to no car and poor public transport and I am working full time. In his culture, the women do EVERYTHING which I saw there.... secondly I have a strong suspicion that my husband was a lot poorer than alot of people on these boards and suffered tremendously all his life.. then pack terrorism and unrest and terrorism on top of it, its going to make anyone hypervigilant for just about everything.

Everyone is an amalgation of everything they have been through and seen and seen people go through. Period.

596696z2ypf41694.gif

I - 130

3.26.08 - NOA2 - APPROVAL IN 493 DAYS!!

NVC

7.22.08 - CASE COMPLETED IN 90 DAYS - THANK GOD!!

Embassy

9.29.08-Interview - AP (2 weeks)

10.15.08 - AP over :) Embassy called hubby to go get his Visa - HAPPIEST DAY!!!

10.20.08 - Visa Issued

11.25.08 - POE (JFK then SFO)

11.26.08 - Visa Journey is Over!! TOOK 737 DAYS....Habibi is Home!! :) :)

USA

11.25.08 - POE

12.10.08 - Applied for SS Card

12.15.08 - Welcome Letter Received

12.17.08 - SS Card Received

12.26.08 - Green Card Received :)

Begin Naturalization process 2011 ~ Inshallah

mybanner493ead35e2041shfr8.th.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have seen some pretty high strung Egyptians too. My husband is laid back but that has nothing to do with where he's from, which is a very very poor neighborhood. I can't really compare how poor it was compared to others but he has always stated vehemently that it is no shame to come from poverty. He did have running water and all that good stuff though. He also took the bus and subway every day in Cairo so that was another thing he was used to. Also his best friend ever lives in Canada and has told him a lot about what to expect here so he did have some prepwork before coming.

Wahrania is it possible to move? I mean it sounds like nomands land over there which isn't helping your situation. Can you move to nyc or something that might be easier for him to adjust to? Or would that be worse because it's so modern?

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

:dance: :dance: JP telling it like it is! :dance: :dance:

My husband is very laid back & peaceful, however, I know many Moroccans who are not.... it has nothing to do w/ culture, as JP (and many others have) said. It's about personality.

And yes, JP taken the words right outta my mouth.... wise woman that she is. :innocent:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.