Southern_Canadian

AOS and Goverment Assistance

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
It is possible to live with maybe his parents or siblings or relative? That may not be an option at all, but just wanted to check.

We plan to live with his parents for a few months just to help with the move, support, so we can find a place together. I was kind of against it at first, but now that we've discussed it and I've thought more about it, it just makes more sense to save money on rent and wait a bit.

Or maybe try to find a place with just one roomate, and not in a house with others. That might save on costs.

Thanks, yes.. we are looking into maybe living with just one person rather than a full house. Living with his parents was an option but his brother just moved back home with his girlfriend so that they can save money. We will figure it out.. I hate being so far away and being so stressed! I just keep reminding myself that I will be with Eric in 6 days!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand its cliche but: Don't stress!

Its the last thing you need.

You have options you just have to explore them all! First of all where abouts are you moving? There could be cheap studio apartments, it is just the two of you right? You could live there for now, save and hey, its cozy! :)

The first few months in the States is going to be hard. But we all did it and we all got through. Things will work out for the better. Now enjoy your last week in Canada, go out, have fun and take it all in before you come down. ;)

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Exactly. Assess all your options! Living with the inlaws always helps (even if it's not the best....I live with my inlaws..it's...ok? haha) If you can't do that as you said you can't,like sprailene said, see if you can find a studio apartment somewhere.

It depends where you are living...so where are you living if you don't mind me asking? I know in NJ apartments are pretty expensive but in other states they aren't.

Let out a huge scream and just breathe. It will all come together after some point in time; just don't expect that point in time to be right away! :)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks guys! I just have the added extra stress of trying to plan this big wedding that my parents want. I know.. I know... it's my day and I can do what I want. And now that Eric and I decided on a date and place, the reception place just won't answer their phone for some reason. My family already booked their vacation and flights.. so, cross my fingers that I can get a hold of the reception place soon.

I will be living about 40 minutes south on Atlanta.. a town called Newnan. It is building up pretty quickly and rent ins't too bad so we will see what we can come up with. A studio apartment would be a really cute idea!! Just don't know if they have those in Newnan. Actually, I don't even recall seeing any apartment buildings in Newnan. They have a lot of 3 story building communities and lots of old historic houses.

Sorry if I gave you any wrong information on the assistance question. I remember reading about someone on VJ, not that long ago in fact, that had lost their job, and they were going to have to go on government assistance until he could find a new job. He had been the petitioner, however his wife was now living with him in the US. Anyway, someone had quoted some actual links that said that this would NOT be counted as government assistance in terms of what the I-485 states because they were married. The whole government assistance stuff is about when you're seperated and/or divorced and about the I-485 and the obligations as the petitioner.

I can see you're not going that route anyway, but just wanted to point out that if you wanted to find out more about "government assistance", and what constitutes same, you could look into it.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Losing your job though carla and getting unemployment is different than living in Section 8. If you live in Section 8, they would only approve it for you if you made under a certain amount of money. You have to meet a lot of criteria. As Nevada said, usually it is reserved for single parents only and the waiting lists can be quite long.

As the petitioner, if you made until that certain dollar amount, it would definitely be less than the amount stated you need to support your new significant other when you file AOS. I think that is what I was trying to say initially.

But you are right in saying someone should look into it to get the details.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Losing your job though carla and getting unemployment is different than living in Section 8. If you live in Section 8, they would only approve it for you if you made under a certain amount of money. You have to meet a lot of criteria. As Nevada said, usually it is reserved for single parents only and the waiting lists can be quite long.

As the petitioner, if you made until that certain dollar amount, it would definitely be less than the amount stated you need to support your new significant other when you file AOS. I think that is what I was trying to say initially.

But you are right in saying someone should look into it to get the details.

Okay, didn't know that thetreble. Thanks for the info and clarification about Section 8!

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.