bika

Should I mention a Dismissed Reckless Driving Ticket

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm going thru the N400 form, in 1999 I got a reckless driving ticket but it was dismissed.

When I filed my family based 485 three years ago I didn't mention that as I thought it's only a traffic ticket, but now I learned it's a misdemeaner

My question is should I mention this in the N400 and what happens if they compare this with my GC papers and find out a discrepancy?

Will that affect the good moral character requirement (the ticket was 10 years ago)

Filed: Timeline
I'm going thru the N400 form, in 1999 I got a reckless driving ticket but it was dismissed.

When I filed my family based 485 three years ago I didn't mention that as I thought it's only a traffic ticket, but now I learned it's a misdemeaner

My question is should I mention this in the N400 and what happens if they compare this with my GC papers and find out a discrepancy?

Will that affect the good moral character requirement (the ticket was 10 years ago)

why r u so scared and paranoid? if u didnt pay for the ticket then that wasnt cool but if u did why bring it up. 10 years ago? man!! not like u were a terrorist 10 years ago that u to need to be so scared geezzzzzzzz!!!!

The thing is N400 application and your green card application are 2 separate things... Mention EVERYTHING on your N400 even if it was 20 years ago, write an explanation when and how it happened (with as much detail as you can) and also state the outcome.

why r u so scared and paranoid? if u didnt pay for the ticket then that wasnt cool but if u did why bring it up. 10 years ago? man!! not like u were a terrorist 10 years ago that u to need to be so scared geezzzzzzzz!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
The thing is N400 application and your green card application are 2 separate things... Mention EVERYTHING on your N400 even if it was 20 years ago, write an explanation when and how it happened (with as much detail as you can) and also state the outcome.

I can only speculate on this, I am not applying for US citizenship, but my wife is and since she only have been here 4 1/2 years, we know she didn't get any traffic violations, but didn't get any violations in her home country either.

I wonder if it is more of a question of being honest than the exact nature of the offense. One of my sons got involved with selling auto insurance and has access to a database that I never knew even existed. He reminded me of a speeding ticket I received back in 1987, yes it goes back that far doing 59 in a 55 mph zone. Gee that teed me off, cop was hidden behind trees at the base of a very steep hill, a first class speed trap, fine was four dollars, but the court cost was $120.00 going in the pocket of some crooked justice of the peace in that corrupted county.

Also recall having to report this ticket to my insurance company for three years, that is all they were interested in and my agent would laugh about that, all of us get screwed by the cops now and then, as he travels a lot, said you should see my list of tickets. He didn't consider that a major offense with no rate increases.

But what about the USCIS? Do they have access to this database as well? My son found me in a minute and can do this without thinking while talking on the phone. And is it a question about the nature of the offense or is it a question of omitting that offense, no matter how minor?

I don't have the answer to that question, I do not work for the USCIS. Has anyone applied for citizenship and asked why they didn't post a ticket back in 1987 and why didn't they list that offense? But I do know that database exists, ha, also learned an instant credit report, did you know your insurance rates are higher the lower your credit rating is? Son commented, those with the least ability to pay the rates, have to pay more.

Wonder if George Bush is tapping my cell phone? He will quickly learn that I may be a few minutes late for dinner.

Filed: Other Timeline

In my opinion, it should be disclosed, however old the incident may be. The statutory period of 5 years is for USCIS to make a decision. I will disclose all my 3 traffic tickets (1999 - 2006) in the interview and provide court disposition reports for all of them.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Don't omit anything. Tell them what happened as they will also do not only a FBI search on you, but they also conduct a local search, too. The local will bring up traffic tickets, fines, etc. They will compare that to your application. We had submitted my DH's N-400 in January, and a few weeks later we got a notice from a small county here in Florida where he had gotten a ticket, that he took traffic school to reduce a fine but he had been ineligible for the reduction. They had conducted an audit on this a year and a half after he had paid the fine. They said if we didn't rectify this he would have his license suspended. I freaked knowing what this would do to his citizenship app. I contacted the Clerk of Courts - sent a check and they were able to clear up everything. All I know is that in that week's span I was like a long-tailed cat in a room of rocking chairs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.