Capsule

I fell in love and got married to someone related to me.

117 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
I spoke with a lawyer in Southern California. He was an Armenian gentleman, earned his bachelors from UCLA and his law degree from USC. He said I NEED to go to have the civil registry office in Armenia to recognize our marriage and obtain documentation that it will not be invalidated because we are cousins.

Now, I know what's going to happen if I go to Armenia and go to the civil registry office. I will speak to a judge who will say he will do this, IF I pay him 20 thousand dollars or whatever. I know how that country works, how that government works and what they're like. If that happens, I don't have that kind of money. I will do it if I have to, the money doesn't mean a thing to me at all as long as I have it and I can be with her.

I spoke to another lawyer who told me that it would not work and move to Armenia if I love her so much, boy that frustrates me sometimes.

I have one question...who besides the two of you know that you are cousins? And how would they ever find out? If you got married in Armenia, how can anything be nullified? Obviously they married you...so they don't know... if you file in the US, how will they know? It's not illegal in the US. So what is the problem exactly?

I would just file papers to bring her and forget everything. If you're that worried, then yes, go somewhere where it's legal to marry a cousin and get married there and then begin paperwork. I'm sure almost any Muslim country would be supportive to your situation...unless the girl is Muslim then she might need the permission of her father, which you might not get?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Armenia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been at this web-site. I've been in Armenia for almost a year now and will be petitioning soon to come back home with my wife.

I just hope that if the embassy finds out about our relationship, they they will believe it is a true and honest marriage, because it is. I have sacrificed so much, gave up my schooling and my job to come here to be with her, and go back home with her.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hi,

Before people jump to conclusions, make assumptions and make fun of me for what is going on, if you have the time, please read what I’m writing and maybe you will understand this issue.

In the summer of 2006 my mother, brother and I went on a trip to Armenia so I can meet my mother’s family. In Armenia I met a girl I fell deeply in love with. In denial that I was in love with her, I would always tell myself, “No, that’s wrong, don’t think that, etc.” Because I was staying at her family’s house, I grew deeper in love with this woman. At the time she was 19 and I was 18 (I am now 20 and she is 21).

I came back home to the U.S. in denial, yet couldn’t believe that I was in love with her. I had to see her one last time though, before I went on with my life (or at least try to). One year went by in agony, and in the summer of 2007 I went back “to see my family.” In all actuality, it was to see her and only her. No one else mattered to me. While I was there she kissed me in a way “she’s not supposed to.” Then began to apologize and cry, and I asked her what’s wrong.

She told me that she has fallen in love with me and she can’t help it. She thought by saying that I would never talk to her again, but I told her not to worry, because I had fallen deeply in love with her also.

At first we talked about how we will never forget each another, and we are deeply in love, but we can’t be together because of what family would say.

Three weeks went by and I did a lot of research on the internet and found out what I was experiencing is NOT abnormal, it is actually pretty common. It is common for relatives (in our case, first cousins) to meet for the first time or reunite after years of not seeing each another and fall in love. It’s a phenomenon called ‘genetic sexual attraction.’

Contrary to what we have learned in society (I also), the offspring of cousins has a very minimal risk in increasing chances for a birth defect, it is equal to a 40 year old female to have a child.

And like that, after three weeks I thought to myself, “Forget what other people think, I don’t care, I love her and it is no one's business!” We discussed it and decided the only way to be together is to get married (not to mention the fact that both of us were crazy for each another, even after a year).

With little research about Armenian law, and after a daunting task, we got married. After coming back to the United States I consulted with a lawyer and he said I’m probably going to end up having problems. After I researched Armenian family law, I found out that this:

i) Cousin marriages are not allowed

ii) Cousin marriages will be considered invalid if they will be brought up to the courts for a consideration

iii) Cousin marriages will only be considered valid if she is pregnant or a child is already born

iv) Any marriage CAN be considered valid if deemed by the court

Now you see my problem? I we must’ve slipped through the cracks, because I am a naturalized U.S. citizen, I was born in Armenia. We did not lie on anything, no forms asked if we are related and it was not asked to us verbally either.

After reading this I was devastated, I didn’t know what to do. Someone recommended me to go to Canada, she come to Canada and we get married here. I contacted an attorney in Canada, and explained my situation and she said that is just fine, she could help me out with it and it will be a no problem job.

So like that, as a 19 year old, busting my butt working 50 hours a week AND a full time college student I came to Canada as a student for one year. After six months of being here she was denied entry because a study permit has already been issued to me.

I’ve pretty much spent my life savings on this (about 10 thousand dollars) and now I’m at a dead halt. I’m beginning to become depressed as I know I have a long road ahead of me if I am forced to go to Armenia and flee with her from there. Her brother saw a picture of us that looked a little “risky” and told me that if anything is going on between us two I am a dead man.

I am in serious need of legal help and am desperate. I only have a couple thousand dollars left of student loans and my car which I will sell if I need more funds. I have worked all throughout high school, I never receive a dime from my parents (I come from a fairly poor family). It is difficult surviving the way it is, yet all the costs. I’m 20 years old and I raised some money by selling my motorcycles (I started racing motocross at 16 after I was able to earn money).

What do I need to do? How can I prove to the embassy that this is not a sham? She is the only thing helping me cling on to life right now, if I new she wasn’t in my future my fingers would slip and I would be gone.

I am willing to do anything. I have found some contacts in Armenia that will allow me to live in their home temporarily. If need be, I can move to Armenia and flee with her until things are sorted out, if need be, I can go to Armenia, officially nullify our marriage, flee to a country such as Egypt or Jordan where cousin marriages are legal and get married over there. I will do anything!

I am desperate, and there is no way I can turn to family for help :( .

+ WHAT A LOAD OF #######...HEY DUDE WE DONT MARRY COUSINS....WE JUST HAVE FUN WITH THEM...

+ AGAIN WHAT A LOAD OF #######

+ SMELL LIKE FRAUD HERE.......

+ BAD LUCK FOR U LIL DUDE

you need to back up and stop trashing someone.......look u might not understand or like what is going on and it does not require that you or i agree with what he has done.....it is very common for Muslims to marry cousins....people come here for help.....not to listen to someone trash them like you have just done........you just joined this forum and i feel you have forgotten to read the terms of use please go back and read it again before you post

sara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
Hi,

Before people jump to conclusions, make assumptions and make fun of me for what is going on, if you have the time, please read what I’m writing and maybe you will understand this issue.

In the summer of 2006 my mother, brother and I went on a trip to Armenia so I can meet my mother’s family. In Armenia I met a girl I fell deeply in love with. In denial that I was in love with her, I would always tell myself, “No, that’s wrong, don’t think that, etc.” Because I was staying at her family’s house, I grew deeper in love with this woman. At the time she was 19 and I was 18 (I am now 20 and she is 21).

I came back home to the U.S. in denial, yet couldn’t believe that I was in love with her. I had to see her one last time though, before I went on with my life (or at least try to). One year went by in agony, and in the summer of 2007 I went back “to see my family.” In all actuality, it was to see her and only her. No one else mattered to me. While I was there she kissed me in a way “she’s not supposed to.” Then began to apologize and cry, and I asked her what’s wrong.

She told me that she has fallen in love with me and she can’t help it. She thought by saying that I would never talk to her again, but I told her not to worry, because I had fallen deeply in love with her also.

At first we talked about how we will never forget each another, and we are deeply in love, but we can’t be together because of what family would say.

Three weeks went by and I did a lot of research on the internet and found out what I was experiencing is NOT abnormal, it is actually pretty common. It is common for relatives (in our case, first cousins) to meet for the first time or reunite after years of not seeing each another and fall in love. It’s a phenomenon called ‘genetic sexual attraction.’

Contrary to what we have learned in society (I also), the offspring of cousins has a very minimal risk in increasing chances for a birth defect, it is equal to a 40 year old female to have a child.

And like that, after three weeks I thought to myself, “Forget what other people think, I don’t care, I love her and it is no one's business!” We discussed it and decided the only way to be together is to get married (not to mention the fact that both of us were crazy for each another, even after a year).

With little research about Armenian law, and after a daunting task, we got married. After coming back to the United States I consulted with a lawyer and he said I’m probably going to end up having problems. After I researched Armenian family law, I found out that this:

ii) Cousin marriages will be considered invalid if they will be brought up to the courts for a consideration

iii) Cousin marriages will only be considered valid if she is pregnant or a child is already born

Now you see my problem? I we must’ve slipped through the cracks, because I am a naturalized U.S. citizen, I was born in Armenia. We did not lie on anything, no forms asked if we are related and it was not asked to us verbally either.

After reading this I was devastated, I didn’t know what to do. Someone recommended me to go to Canada, she come to Canada and we get married here. I contacted an attorney in Canada, and explained my situation and she said that is just fine, she could help me out with it and it will be a no problem job.

So like that, as a 19 year old, busting my butt working 50 hours a week AND a full time college student I came to Canada as a student for one year. After six months of being here she was denied entry because a study permit has already been issued to me.

I’ve pretty much spent my life savings on this (about 10 thousand dollars) and now I’m at a dead halt. I’m beginning to become depressed as I know I have a long road ahead of me if I am forced to go to Armenia and flee with her from there. Her brother saw a picture of us that looked a little “risky” and told me that if anything is going on between us two I am a dead man.

I am in serious need of legal help and am desperate. I only have a couple thousand dollars left of student loans and my car which I will sell if I need more funds. I have worked all throughout high school, I never receive a dime from my parents (I come from a fairly poor family). It is difficult surviving the way it is, yet all the costs. I’m 20 years old and I raised some money by selling my motorcycles (I started racing motocross at 16 after I was able to earn money).

What do I need to do? How can I prove to the embassy that this is not a sham? She is the only thing helping me cling on to life right now, if I new she wasn’t in my future my fingers would slip and I would be gone.

I am willing to do anything. I have found some contacts in Armenia that will allow me to live in their home temporarily. If need be, I can move to Armenia and flee with her until things are sorted out, if need be, I can go to Armenia, officially nullify our marriage, flee to a country such as Egypt or Jordan where cousin marriages are legal and get married over there. I will do anything!

+ WHAT A LOAD OF #######...HEY DUDE WE DONT MARRY COUSINS....WE JUST HAVE FUN WITH THEM...

+ AGAIN WHAT A LOAD OF #######

+ SMELL LIKE FRAUD HERE.......

+ BAD LUCK FOR U LIL DUDE

Please watch the personal attacks. You may have your own personal feelings but please be more sensitive to cultural issues outside of your own. Thank you.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Country: Armenia
Timeline

chesster,

I don't blame you for your ignorant response, it is very easy to respond that way since you're in a soft spot and not in my position. I've been living a life of hell for two in a half years because of this and have literally thrown those two in a half years of my life away trying to be with her. Because of this, I may walk by aunts, uncles, other family members as if they are strangers to me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Caps, congratulations on finding someone you love - while I could never love a family member - we cannot control who we fall in love with.

Just be honest - your relationship will prove itself.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

ok so what's the problem with appling for her visa to the US?

I guess I am missing that piece of the equation... have you done that?

Would this be considered a crime of moral torpitude to which would make her ineligble for a visa?

Good luck!

Cheers!

Hi,

O)OPs

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i think that if it was me i would talk to dos or the embassy and see if you are fighting a no win situation.....there are many people that immigrate to the usa that are married and to their cousin is very common in Pakistan, India and a few other countries

Capsule,

I wanted to just say that I wish you and your loving wife all the very best.

Follow your heart, live life for today and fight for what you love and believe in.

All the very best to you!!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I just wanted to convey my sympathy to you. It's a hard situation to be in. I'm impressed by your commitment to this woman and your love for her. Ignore the nay-sayers. My best wishes to you.

From what it looks like, you have two choices:

--Go for the CR1/K3. Hope for the best that it goes smoothly. This might be risky since if it is found out that your marriage is invalid in the country in which it is performed, it is not acceptable for U.S. visa purposes.

--Have your marriage annulled and petition for a K-1. When in the U.S., marry in a state that recognizes first-cousin-marriage.

Have you filed anything yet?

And also, to those who keep referring to India as a country where first cousin marriages are allowed/abundant. NOT true. India has complicated laws and each community -- Hindu, Muslims, Sikhs, Christians -- have their own marriage board. Only Muslims can marry their first cousin or other relatives according to their religious laws. Some Hindus won't marry others with their same last name, let alone their relatives. This stems from the belief that those with the same last name descended from the same tribe or clan. If such a marriage does take place (people with the same last name) -- you have to go trace back SEVEN GENERATIONS of lineage to ensure that the ancestors were not related. Sorry for the digression, but just wanted to stick this out as a FYI.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hi,

I have been living in Pakistan with my husband for over a year. Believe it or not, the majority of his family members are married to their first cousins. My sister in law is married to her first cousin (Mother's sister's son) and they have a normal little girl. In Pakistan, they seem to prefer family over outsiders since they know the family and can control how good of a situation they are marrying into. I am not sure what you can do about this situation. I would try to contact an immigration attorney in USA. There is a company in FL called Aladdin USA. You can check out their website or phone them. I wish you the best of luck with everything. Take care.

~Tara

Zaheer - 25 ; Tara - 26 ;

Married - 01/25/09; Stevie Zainab Ahmed - born 03-18-2010

OUR TIMELINE

03-18-2009 ----- Sent I-130 to USA

03-23-2009 ----- Father sent I-130 to USCIS

03-25-2009 ----- USCIS Received I-130

04-02-2009 ----- Money Order Cashed

04-13-2009 ----- NOA1 Received

04-27-2009 ----- USCIS Received I-129F packet

05-12-2009 ----- NOA1 for I-129F received

08-28-2009 ----- Approval Notices for I-130 and I-129F

09-15-2009 ----- Received Packet 3.5 from NVC

09-26-2009 ----- Sent Packet 3.5 to Embassy

09-30-2009 ----- Interview Appt Letter Received

10-13-2009 ----- Medical Exam @ 2:30pm in Lahore

10-26-2009 ----- Interview Scheduled

10-26-2009 ----- Embassy Closed, reschedule

11-02-2009 ----- Rescheduled Interview - Passed; AP

11-02-2009 ----- Administrative Processing Begins..........

04-23-2010 ----- AP Finished

04-24-2010 ----- Visa Arrives via SpeedEx

05-06-2010 ----- US Entry (Insha'Allah) JFK Airport POE

05-07-2010 ----- Flight from NY to West Palm Beach, FL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.