Capsule

I fell in love and got married to someone related to me.

117 posts in this topic

hi capsule..after reading your story i felt really bad...i know exactly what it feels like to be away from someone you truly love but it seems impossible for you two to be together.....i've been feeling that awful feelings for 8 long years now and i'm still waiting....you know your first plan was good stay in canada..but you have to be at least a permanent resident to sponsor her..it'll take time but its going to be wort it..

May 2000 - first time we met

June 2000 - started dating

Feb.16, 2008 - filed for K1

Feb. 25, 2008 -NOA1

July 26, 2008 -NOA2

July 31, 2008 - Package received ny NVC

Aug. 5, 2008 -Recieved by Montreal Consulate

Sept.12, 2008 -Packet 3 received

Sept.17, 2008 -Packet 3 sent

Dec. 12, 2008 -Packet 4 received

Feb 11, 2009 -interview

Feb 20, 2009 - K1 visa received

Feb 25, 2009 - US entry

March 18,2009- Wedding

AOS

April 9, 2009 - filed for application

April 15, 2009 - NOA received for I-1485,EAD, & AP

May 5, 2009 - Biometrics

May 26, 2009 - AP received

May 26, 2009 - card production ordered for EAD

June 5, 2009 - EAD received

July 7, 2009 - Interview appointment received

Aug 20, 2009 - Interview---approved

Sept 2, 2009 - Card recieved

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My cousin here in the US is married to her cousin and also my brother and sister in laws are married to there first cousins who are brother and sister as well

they are from morocco

as of what i know it happens all the time in morocco, there is actually a law that i have read, I don't remember exactly , you can marry your brothers daugther but not your sisters daughter, anything past that i don't remember, but its posted on an islamic sight

Its very common as of what I know,

Good luck to you and your future wife

Kathleen

[

APPROVED 8/26/08 got notice on 8/27

Received Hard Copy 9/2/08

NVC Received : 9/2/08

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 9/9/08

Pay I-864 Bill 9/10/08

Receive I-864 Package : 9/15/08

Return Completed I-864 : 9/24/08

Return Completed DS-3032 : 9/10/08

Receive IV Bill : 9/19/08

Pay IV Bill : 9/19/08

Receive Instruction Package :

Case Completed at NVC : 10/27/08

NVC Left : 11/06/08

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 12/11/08

Visa Received : 12/12/08

US Entry : 1/1/09

Filed: Country: Armenia
Timeline
I know that I can petition for her in Armenia only after I'm in Armenia for 6 months, that way I can go into the interview with her, I'm more than willing to do that, all I need to do is go back home, earn some money, fly out and I'm sure things will fall into place from there (if only they would allow it and trust that this is not a sham). A while back I donated some money to an organization and they own some property in Armenia outside of Yerevan, he offered me the place to stay at for free as a form of appreciation, so I CAN stay there with her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A direct Consular filing would be out of the question unless you are "married". There is no DCF for a fiance.

Maybe if I remain married and not bring up my predicament anywhere and then file for DCF? That's another issue that needs to be brought up to an attorney.

I'm not so sure your familial relationship will come out based on mothers' maiden names but it IS a valid concern. The odds are good you're right. Too bad you didn't research all this before you married. I know, hindsight is 20/20 and all.

The odds are VERY good and I am almost sure it will be brought up. Just by answering honestly on how we met, etc. would raise the issue.

I think the Embassy people were telling you the truth in that they would accept a valid marriage certificate but as you've aptly pointed out, there's more to the story than that.

I think they're just pulling my leg to make me not worry, go ahead and apply, then receive a big fat denial letter.

Even if they don't consider your marriage to be invalid legally, the danger in discovering the family relationship is that they'll consider the marriage to have been entered into for immigration purposes rather than bona fide. That's the most common problem when marriage to a relative is suspected.

The gentleman I spoke with over the phone was probably skeptical of just that and probably knew that our case would be investigated and the fact would be brought up. So he probably thought be encouraging me to apply now, I would not take any shady routes and get through (which I won't, because I wan to do this legally and not put her or myself in harms way of braking a law, what good am I to her if I'm locked up?)

I really do think your next research should be in finding the appropriate attorney. Maybe they can find a way to take the bullet out of your foot.

I need to find an attorney who has dealt with a situation like this, not one who is "good" with other types of cases.

Timeline
hi capsule..after reading your story i felt really bad...i know exactly what it feels like to be away from someone you truly love but it seems impossible for you two to be together.....i've been feeling that awful feelings for 8 long years now and i'm still waiting....you know your first plan was good stay in canada..but you have to be at least a permanent resident to sponsor her..it'll take time but its going to be wort it..

Thank you for your post. Wow, eight years is a very long time, I hope your ordeal works out soon!

I'm going to leave Canada mid-August and go back home to the U.S. My attorney over here says she can almost guarantee that everything will work out fine and she would've been here. But she got denied because a study permit was already issued to me (which my attorney said would not cause any problems), then she told me to continue waiting as we will file a plea and that would bring here, that didn't work, now she wants to do something else, but all it is doing right now is wasting precious time.

It's interesting how acquaintances ask for me to send them pictures of all the "fun" I'm having in Canada. But in reality, I knew how important it would be for me to save my money, so I don't go anywhere, I don't spend it on anything except for things that are necessary to keep me alive, like food. I don't buy anything unless it is on sale, and I usually will buy the cheapest and most inexpensive products.

I remember before I read all the laws, on July 18, 2007 we came out of the license registry in Armenia, marriage certificate at hand and I thought that was it, we're over the big stuff and that was probably the beginning of the end, but now I know that was only the ending to the beginning.

As a student for at least one year in Canada, she would've been my dependent on my study permit.

My cousin here in the US is married to her cousin and also my brother and sister in laws are married to there first cousins who are brother and sister as well

they are from morocco

as of what i know it happens all the time in morocco, there is actually a law that i have read, I don't remember exactly , you can marry your brothers daugther but not your sisters daughter, anything past that i don't remember, but its posted on an islamic sight

Its very common as of what I know,

Good luck to you and your future wife

Kathleen

I wish she was from Morocco or any country where it is legal and accepted, I bet I would not have ANY problems.

Timeline
Capsule,

I am impressed of how thorough you are. You seem like a sharp guy and I honest wish you the vest best. I only wish I have knowledge in the matter to provide you additional input. I don't have any opinion one way or another regarding your relationship as long as this is what you want.

I also want to add a comment to those referencing relationship with cousins. In the old days of royalty in the UK and in many countries, the royalties would marry their cousins and bloodline as well. It is not a phenomena for Arab or Asian countries, but is practiced around the world. I am not one to judge people in the matter of the heart, but I do believe that if two people truly love each other then they can overcome all obstacles. I wish you the best of luck and hope that things will play out in your favor.

Going through this whole ordeal has taught me a lot. I think I have matured more in the last year than the five years before in many aspects in life.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Dear Capsule,

I have no advice to offer and no judgments to pass. What I do have to offer you is prayer. I pray for your happiness and I pray that you fulfill all of your dreams. Your words are written as if you were a much older person. You appear to have a great deal of wisdom. Please take care of yourself during this process.

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

I just wanted to say that I wish you and your love all the happiness in the world.

I wish you hope, faith, patience and success in being together.

Stay strong (F)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Armenia is part of the European Union, right? She could live in another country within Europe without having to apply for a visa within that country, I think. That way she would at least be away from the pressures of her family while you work this out. Once she's living in another country, you could just apply for the fiance visa (K-1). She would have to travel back to Armenia for her medical and interview, but she wouldn't have to live there.

December 12 2005 ~ sent I129F packet to

December 14 2005 ~ Packet Recieved by

December 20 2005 ~ NOA 1

December 29 2005 ~ Touched

March 9 2006 ~ NOA2

April 5 2006 ~ Packet 3 arrives

April 11 2006 ~ Packet 3 returned to London Embassy

June 12 2006 ~ Interview Date (APPROVED!)

June 26 2006 ~ Entered the U.S. under K-1 Visa

July 06 2006 ~ JOP marriage

September 12 2006~ I-485 Received by INS

September 18 2006~ NOA recieved

September 30 2006~ Married

October 3 2006 ~ Biometrics Appointment (Fingerprinted)

November 16, 2006~ RFE reply received ...didn't even know we had an RFE (INS stated that the RFE was

probably sent to the DR. that did our biometrics)

January 17, 2007 ~ CSC is now processing cases received September 25 (11 days after ours was received) :(

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I need to find an attorney who has dealt with a situation like this, not one who is "good" with other types of cases.

Yes, that's what I meant by "appropriate". :thumbs:

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Armenia is part of the European Union, right? She could live in another country within Europe without having to apply for a visa within that country, I think. That way she would at least be away from the pressures of her family while you work this out. Once she's living in another country, you could just apply for the fiance visa (K-1). She would have to travel back to Armenia for her medical and interview, but she wouldn't have to live there.

Armenia is not part of the EU but she may well be able to arrange to live in the EU more easily than the US or Canada with the rest of your suggestion being worth looking into, IMO.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

OK, so the easiest thing is to have your wife get the marriage invalidated then just petition for the K1 visa. There are no problems, marriage to first cousins is not illegal.

I do not think this would be the easiest thing.

If you file for K1 visa, questions will come up whether the persons were married before. Then how would they explain first being married and having the marriage nullified?

Do not forget, they would still have to pass via the Armenian Embassy.

Considering marriages between first cousins does not seem to be possible as a rule (given there are exceptions) in Armenia, chance is big that it will give the couple the same problems at the Embassy that they might have when filing for K-3.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Timeline

Armenia is not in the EU and far from being, if ever.

It is very difficult for Armenians (especially in the case of my wife) to obtain a visa to go to any countries in the EU. I have heard stories of Armenians illegally going to countries such as Spain, Greece, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania. Although they are easier to go to, they're still not easy. And at this point there will be raised concerns as why she would want to go to those countries. Females do not typically go anywhere alone in Armenia, let alone to other countries, and I don't know if it will be safe to send her to a different country all alone.

I don't know how good of a source this is, but this is some of the countries she can go to that do not require a visa beforehand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_passport

Africa

Countries and Territories Conditions of access

Flag of Burundi Burundi visa issued upon arrival

Flag of Cape Verde Cape Verde visa issued upon arrival

Flag of the Comoros Comoros visa issued upon arrival

Flag of Djibouti Djibouti 1-month visa issued upon arrival

Flag of Egypt Egypt 15 days (visa valid for South Sinai only)

Flag of Kenya Kenya 3 months visa issued upon arrival

Flag of Madagascar Madagascar 90 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Mauritius Mauritius 60 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Mozambique Mozambique 30 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Namibia Namibia 3 months

Flag of the Seychelles Seychelles 1 month [1]

Flag of Tanzania Tanzania 3 months (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Togo Togo 7 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Uganda Uganda 3 months (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Zambia Zambia 3 months (visa issued upon arrival)

[edit] Americas

Flag of Antigua and Barbuda Antigua and Barbuda 1 month

Flag of Barbados Barbados 28 days

Flag of Cuba Cuba 30 days

Flag of Dominica Dominica 21 days

Flag of Grenada Grenada 3 months

Flag of Haiti Haiti 3 months [2]

[edit] Asia

Flag of Azerbaijan Azerbaijan visa-free access

Flag of Bangladesh Bangladesh 90 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Cambodia Cambodia 1 month (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Georgia (country) Georgia visa-free access

Flag of Iran Iran 15 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Jordan Jordan 1 month (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Kazakhstan Kazakhstan visa-free access

Flag of Kyrgyzstan Kyrgyzstan visa-free access

Flag of Laos Laos 15 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Lebanon Lebanon 3 months (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Macau Macau 30 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Malaysia Malaysia 1 month

Flag of the Maldives Maldives 30 days

Flag of Mongolia Mongolia 90 days

Flag of Nepal Nepal 60 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Sri Lanka Sri Lanka 30 days

Flag of Syria Syria 15 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Tajikistan Tajikistan visa-free access

Flag of East Timor Timor-Leste 30 days (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Turkey Turkey 1 month (visa issued upon arrival)

Flag of Uzbekistan Uzbekistan visa-free access

[edit] Europe

Flag of Belarus Belarus visa-free access

Flag of Kosovo Kosovo 90 days

Flag of Moldova Moldova 90 days

Flag of Russia Russia visa-free access

Flag of Ukraine Ukraine visa-free access

[edit] Oceania

Flag of the Cook Islands Cook Islands 31 days [3]

Flag of the Federated States of Micronesia Federated States of Micronesia 30 days [4]

Flag of Niue Niue 30 days

Flag of Palau Palau 30 days

Flag of Samoa Samoa 60 days

[edit] Unrecognized countries

Countries Conditions of access

Flag of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic Nagorno-Karabakh unlimited access

Flag of Transnistria Transnistria 90 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Either they are legally married for the purposes of immigration (and need to file for K3), or they aren't (and need to file for K1).

OP... are you still around, and do you have an Armenian marriage certificate?

If not, do you live in one of the states listed as allowing first cousin marriage, in the links previously posted about legal cousin marriages in the US?

Have you consulted any pro bono immigration organizations, like Catholic Charities?

I don't think your situation is hopeless at all. And I don't think you need to involve a third country in this. But your wife needs a safe place from which to conduct her part of this effort (the Armenian equivalent of a Kinko's and a post office box).

This place is a good resource full of good people who want to help. I hope you'll keep coming back.

Maya

Yes, I am still around, I've been at work since early in the morning and have been trying to respond to all the posts while being distracted, that is why it is taking me so long to respond.

I live in a state which allows cousin marriages under certain circumstances (age and inability to bear children are the circumstances) which I don't fall into.

I have not contacted any pro-bono immigration organizations like you have mentioned, maybe I should give them a try. I tried Amnesty International and ACLU, no luck with them.

By the way, one of my greatest friends since junior high school is from Nepal, he's studying in Texas to become a pilot. I talk with him almost everyday and he was one of the first people I talked to about this and he has stuck with me the whole way, great guy.

Yeah, my husband's a great guy, too. :star:

To find the Catholic Charities office nearest you, try googling Catholic Charities and the name of the nearest city. You might even try searching for a CC office near a city that you know has a large Armenian immigrant population, in hopes of finding an atty who has experience with this country... if you do, it might be worth the trip (or at least a phone call or email) to talk to him/her/them.

Just my $.02, but I like the idea of moving your wife to a safe place, which make provoke her relatives into getting the marriage invalidated, which would play right into your hand because a K1 - I think - would be faster and less complicated for you. And it would have the added benefit of you not having to get your own marriage invalidated, which might look fishier than someone else doing it for you and presumably against your will.

Subha kamana ("good luck" in Nepali)!

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I truly wish you all the very best in getting this sorted out and your wife in your arms here in the US.

I just wanted to bring to you attention question 17 on the I129F. 17. Is your fiancé(e) related to you?

"Haters are confused admirers, they can’t be or figure you out so negativity comes out [their] mouth.”

-Chad Ochocinco "85" - WR Cincinnati Bengals

Timeline
I truly wish you all the very best in getting this sorted out and your wife in your arms here in the US.

I just wanted to bring to you attention question 17 on the I129F. 17. Is your fiancé(e) related to you?

Good catch. I think most of us spend about a second on that question and then forget about it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.