k34

where did you first meet? online vs in person

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Joel and I met online as well. I had just separated from my ex (LONG story that one) and moved in with my mother who had just been diagnosed with recurrent breast cancer that had metastacised into her bones and lungs. There were no support groups in the area, and the one that I did find only met once a month for an hour. As I was researching the drugs being poured into my mom's body I came across a website that offered online support. Never being much of an online chatter, I was hesitant but decided to check it out. This was in April 2003. This group accepted me with "open" arms...virtually. These people knew exactly what I was feeling and understood them. In November 2003 "Fuzzness" came into the room...apparently he was a regular but I had not met him since I was not in there every day. He truly understood my fears, my anger, my confusion...he had lost his father less than two years before so he knew what I was going through...and would eventually go through. You know, I don't even remember what started it all, I remember being introduced to him and his words had a kindness that struck me. I don't remember who private messaged who first, but it doesn't really matter. We connected in a way I had never EVER connected with anyone else...and I know that sounds hokey but it's true. We started chatting privately (on mIRC) as friends...we both weren't looking for anything more. I was not done with my divorce at the time and he was just coming out of a bad relationship. Well, that friendship began to deepen, even though neither one of us would admit it for nothing! We met face to face in July 2004...my first time on a plane and out of the country! Momma thought I had lost my senses...but I wasn't nervous. I *knew* him. Anywho, that trip began a series of back and forth visits until he and I decided to marry and start this visa journey in 2005. He arrived here in 2006.

Momma eventually met him on several occasions...loved him...and gave us her blessings before she passed away just before our wedding. I was told long before I met Joel that sometimes good things come out of the saddest of circumstances. Momma was right it seems. (F)

Karen, what a beautiful story.. truly an amazing and wonderful way to start a life together.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in the good company of all the people who met while gaming. We met while playing World of Warcraft. We have found out since that we created our accounts within days of each other and we met in-game about two weeks after that...it's almost like fate was tired of waiting and pushed us together. :) Neither of us was looking for anything (I was dating a guy at the time who I broke up with about a year later). We met in person about 6 months after I broke up with the ex (no...Dennis wasn't the reason we broke up, we were still just friends when we met in person for the first time). When we were finally together in person fireworks went off and everything clicked. :)

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

We met in person, through work - he sells advertising and we were buyin' what he was sellin'...well, I was anyways!! We'd known each other for a while before we began dating, and would see each other at work-related events all over the US and Canada. I ran into him at a bar in Vegas during conference, he rescued me from some persistent suit-types, and the rest is history! A year later we were married in Vegas during the same conference.

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

My friend Vicky studied in Australia for the summer, where she met a British guy named Wayne at her hostel. He was backpacking through Australia that year. When Vicky showed me her Australia photos, I couldn't believe that she didn't hook up with this hot guy! They stayed in touch through emails. When Vicky and I planned our month long holiday in London, Wayne agreed to show us around. When we were planning our trip, Wayne had a girlfriend (much to my dismay), and I started dating someone too. But by the time Vicky and I got to London in April, Wayne and his girlfriend had broken up, and my relationship was on the rocks. We didn't intend to have a long distance relationship, we just hung out as much as possible while I was in London, and we had a really great time.

After I went home, we talked every day and I realized that he was sweeter and more interesting than any guys back home that I had dated. I owe it all to luck. I'm so lucky that Vicky and Wayne stayed at the same hostel!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Online - with a bit of a twist. I'm the Canadian, but have a lot of friends here in NC. I was staying with friends when I decided to check out the local personals.... wasn't looking for anything long-term, as I'd be heading back to Canada in a couple of months, but thought it would be nice to meet some friends for dinner, movies, hanging out on weekends, etc. I specifically posted "LOCAL ONLY" in my profile; then I get a sweet email from ths guy in upstate NY. Even after explaining that that I did not live in NC, was only visiting, he decided to drive all the way from NY to NC to meet me....... had a GREAT time together, but I was headed back to Canada, he back to NY. We kept in touch, and I actually returned to NC shortly thereafter to be baptized. Mr. NY once again drove all the way to NC to be with me at my baptism.... and the very day he was headed back up north, he got a call for a job offer in an NC town 2 hours from where I was staying with my friends! How's that for fate??!!! We saw each other every weekend, and the rest was history! He claims that he knew immediately that I was "the one" for him.... I was sort of in la-la-land, because the idea of getting married and moving to the US was not on my agenda. I was actually looking into overseas missions opportunities.... but God had a different plan for me, and brought this absolute angel into my life .... I could not be happier!!! (L) So I would say that our "initial contact" was online, but God arranged the rest so that we could have this wonderful life together :luv:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We met in person-at a poster session in a chemistry conference. Such nerds, we are. :dance:

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Filed: Timeline
I had to look it up...

MMORG Massively Multiplayer Online Racing Game

MMORG Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/MMORG

Ohhhh got it!! :wacko: I am a "games virgin!" :lol:

Thanks. I had no idea what that was, either. Or any of the other game acronyms being used. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We met online in a Yahoo teen chatroom when we were both 15. We started chatting online regularly for about 2 years. Then we started talking on the phone every night for hours on end when we were 16/17. I seriously used to stay up alllll night to talk to him on the phone. Then when we were 19 we met in person in NYC. After chatting as friends for 4 years we knew that it was going to lead into something more and as soon as we met we were in love.

We've now been dating for almost 5 years long distance, been chatting for 9 years and are still going strong. I'm hoping to be there in March 2009.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Met online on a music message board for furtherseemsforever. I was one of the queen bees of the board and he immediately tried to take me down since I was drunk with internet power! haha I said that if he was such a hot shot he should post pictures of himself. He did, and I was like.."jesus...he's hot!"

I got up the courage to call him on the phone in november of 2004. By december we were talking every night. I went home from university to my parents house for Christmas and my parents were like, "oh jared called..who is jared??"

I took a greyhound from Ottawa, Ontario to Newark, NJ on the spur of the moment to meet him. Those 10 hours were some of the most nerve racking of my life. It was literally love at first sight, even if we already "knew" each other.

Many visits and a move later, here we are. :)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Met my husband 9 years ago through work....we stayed as friends even though I got laid off.....got re-hired back into the same company and we started dating 3 years ago. Funny thing is that during our friendship he was in a long term relationship that didn't work out and I was previously engaged which didn't work out either.

We did not and have not advertised our relationship at work.

Funny thing is that I had a rule on not dating people at work. He was my exception! ;)

Our Timeline:

K-1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-08-07

Packet 3 Received : 2007-09-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-09-12

Interview Date : 2008-02-13 Montreal U.S. Consulate APPROVED!

Visa Received By Mail : 2008-02-20

Moved: 2008-03-01 The long drive from Canada to Florida!

Applied for SSN : 2008-03-12

Received SSN by mail: 2008-03-21

Wedding Date : 2008-05-03

67Or.jpg.png

AOS, EAD & AP

Sent in AOS, EAD & AP Applications : 2008-05-09

AOS, EAD & AP Applications received by UCIS: 2008-05-12

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1 : 2008-05-16, received in mail 2008-05-20

AOS, EAD NOA2 : 2008-05-21, received in mail 2008-05-27

AOS Case transferred to CA: 2008-06-03

AOS Case being processed: 2008-06-09

Biometrics Interview: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-12

AOS touched: 2008-06-19

AOS Card production ordered: 2008-07-11

AOS Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident: 2008-07-14

AOS touched: 2008-07-16

AOS touched: 2008-07-17

U.S Resident's Card recieved in mail!!!!: 2008-07-18

Timeline

We met online playing Everquest. We actually were friends for close to a year since we were in the same guild we group together aften. I played alot almost everyday and most of the day/night. It was my way out of the hell i was living in. Ive been playing about 5yrs or so and him even longer but he started out on a different server then the servers merged . He was always a sweet man. Well our guild team speak so we could talk alot. (Seperation and divorce in process took a year to get through).Meanwhile, A little chocolate martini kicked in and out comes the flirting. We met in person about a month and half later.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Matt and I belonged to a interactive group fanfiction site for Final Fantasy 7 back in 1997. We talked a lot, wrote together, went from game to game together (Eve, City of Heroes, Achaea, etc.) Finally met in person four years later and had been dating 3 years online then. And now we've known each other for 10 years and just celebrated our 8 year anniversary.

Jun 25/08: POE! Arrived home, finally!

July 11/08: Legally married

AOS process:

Sept 29/08: Application for I-485 & I-765 received

Oct 2/08: NOA1 for I-485 & I-765

Oct 25/08: Biometrics

Dec 22/08: Receieved EAD

Dec 24/08: Applied for SSN.

Jan 13/09: Received SSN.

Apr 21/09: AOS interview.

We met online playing cards (pinochle), I was cocooning with my computer after ending an awful marriage. We kept ending up as partners and I eventually asked if his nick was his first or last name? - he reponded 1st. Which in a few weeks led to are you male or female? - his response was M. Now almost 8 years later, we are getting ready to apply for our K1.

Janet

Edited by carslo

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.