GaryC

Lets collect some information about IMBRA effects

1,434 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
OK. Hold on one second. I sent a note back to my government guy. He said, read through the PDF - the top part refers to something completely unrelated. The bottom part clearly states it is reference to the K1 application form. I wish there was a way to attach the PDF here. But I reviewed it carefully. It says:

Overview of This Information Collection

(1) Type of Information Collection:

Revision of a currently approved information collection.

(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Petition for Alien Fiance(e).

(3) Agency form number, if any, andthe applicable component of the

Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: Form I–129F.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief

abstract: Individuals or Households. This information is collected by USCIS

to determine whether satisfactory evidence has been submitted by a U.S.

citizen to establish that the parties are married, in the case of a citizen seeking

to obtain a nonimmigrant visa for his or her spouse.

(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 200,000 responses at 1 hour and 30 minutes (1.50) per response.

(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 300,000 hours.

Filed 5–25–06; 8:45 am

It goes on to say that it was first published on Feb. 28, they didn't get enough comments, and now they have requested an extension:

The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged

and will be accepted until June 26, 2006.

Now I don't know what to think but it appears to me that on May 25 they requested an extension of the public comment period until June 26.

If you look here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/pra/index.htm you can see the various stages of the forms and requests although the particular PDF that I am referring to is not posted here. You can find it here: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/index.html type "fiance" into the search box and the forms will come up - the PDF is the most recent and the one that indicates an additional 30 days of comment.

What do you guys think? Have I completely lost my mind?

That´s in the third column of page 2, which is not about k1.

That´s what I got..

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Here is the attached pdf.

hey how'd you do that?

well now you guys can read for yourselves and see how confusing it is!

But thanks rlt - I HAVE lost my mind.

Timeline

OK. Hold on one second. I sent a note back to my government guy. He said, read through the PDF - the top part refers to something completely unrelated. The bottom part clearly states it is reference to the K1 application form. I wish there was a way to attach the PDF here. But I reviewed it carefully. It says:

(1) Type of Information Collection:

Revision of a currently approved information collection.

(3) Agency form number, if any, andthe applicable component of the

Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: Form I–129F.

(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief

abstract: Individuals or Households. This information is collected by USCIS

to determine whether satisfactory evidence has been submitted by a U.S.

citizen to establish that the parties are married, in the case of a citizen seeking

to obtain a nonimmigrant visa for his or her spouse.

(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 200,000 responses at 1 hour and 30 minutes (1.50) per response.

(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 300,000 hours.

Filed 5–25–06; 8:45 am

It goes on to say that it was first published on Feb. 28, they didn't get enough comments, and now they have requested an extension:

The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged

and will be accepted until June 26, 2006.

Now I don't know what to think but it appears to me that on May 25 they requested an extension of the public comment period until June 26.

If you look here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/pra/index.htm you can see the various stages of the forms and requests although the particular PDF that I am referring to is not posted here. You can find it here: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/index.html type "fiance" into the search box and the forms will come up - the PDF is the most recent and the one that indicates an additional 30 days of comment.

What do you guys think? Have I completely lost my mind?

That´s in the third column of page 2, which is not about k1.

That´s what I got..

Yes, I agree with rlt. It has to do with another form, and not our good old I-129F...

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

The confusing thing is this. It's dated May 26. Is it new or is it the same old thing with a new date? It makes it sound like there is a new 60 day extension as of May 26 - meaning no approval on the new I-129F until July 26 but it doesn't say that specifically in this document. I am clear that the other one that clearly stated an extension was in reference to something else, but what is this? My government guy says this means another 60 days. : (

[Federal Register: May 26, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 102)]

[Notices]

[Page 30434-30435]

From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]

[DOCID:fr26my06-104]

=======================================================================

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

Citizenship and Immigration Services

Agency Information Collection Activities; Revision of a Currently

Approved Information Collection; Comment Request

ACTION: Notice of 60-day information collection under review: Petition

for Alien Fiance(e); Form I-129F. OMB Control No. 1615-0001.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Citizenship and

Immigration Services (USCIS) has submitted an emergency information

collection request (ICR) utilizing emergency review procedures, to the

Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in

accordance with section 1320.13(a)(1)(ii) and (a)(2)(iii) of the

Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The USCIS has determined that it

cannot comply with the normal clearance procedures under this part

because normal clearance procedures are likely

[[Page 30435]]

to prevent or disrupt the collection of information.

If granted, the emergency approval is only valid for 180 days. All

comments and/or questions pertaining to this pending request for

emergency approval must be directed to OMB, Office of Information and

Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Desk Officer, Department of Homeland

Security, 725-17th Street, NW., Suite 10235, Washington, DC 20503.

During the first 60 days of this period, a regular review of this

information collection is also being undertaken. Written comments and/

or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice,

especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated

response time, should be directed to the Department of Homeland

Security (DHS), USCIS, Director, Regulatory Management Division,

Clearance Office, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd floor, Washington, DC

20529. Comments may also be submitted to DHS via facsimile to 202-272-

8352 or via e-mail at rfs.regs@dhs.gov. When submitting comments by e-

mail please make sure to add OMB Control No. 1615-0001 in the subject

box. Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected

agencies should address one or more of the following four points:

(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is

necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency,

including whether the information will have practical utility;

(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of

the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the

methodology and assumptions used;

(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to

be collected; and

(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those

who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated,

electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or

other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic

submission of responses.

(1) Type of Information Collection: Revision of a currently

approved information collection.

(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the

Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: Form I-129F.

(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as

well as a brief abstract: Individuals or Households. This information

is collected by USCIS to determine whether satisfactory evidence has

been submitted by a U.S. citizen to establish that the parties are

married, in the case of a citizen seeking to obtain a nonimmigrant visa

for his or her spouse.

(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount

of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 200,000

responses at 1 hour and 30 minutes (1.50) per response.

(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated

with the collection: 300,000 hours.

If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the

proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or

additional information, please visit the USCIS Web site at: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/pra/index.htm

If additional information is required contact: USCIS, Regulatory

Management Division, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd Floor, Washington,

DC 20529, (202) 272-8377.

Dated: May 23, 2006.

Richard A. Sloan,

Director, Regulatory Management Division, U.S. Citizenship and

Immigration Services.

[FR Doc. E6-8206 Filed 5-25-06; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4410-10-P

Timeline

Kitkat, I´ve lost mine too... This is driving us all crazy.

---

Anyways, this is what I think about the situation at the moment:

The form is approved and will be valid for 180 days.

There´s no need to wait for the public to comment. the emergency request states that it will go for the first 60 days of the 180, while they are processing cases.

Even for those who haven´t commited any crime, a new form/questionnaire will be sent. I think the main thing about IMBRA is that they need the petitioner to sign below their answer about IMBRA (and a possible multiple k1 filling).

I wonder if right now they are actually doing something with the recall/pending petitions.

I guess they´re not.

I think what they are doing now is working on the rest, like the pumphlet, preparing instructions to the consulates, their phone officers...

I think while they were developing the new form and waiting for an approval, they figured how they will be requesting more information of those who sent heir application after March 6th. So, in my opinion, they have this planned, they are just waiting for something they need to do before sending it.

And yeah, they will do that, otherwise why would they recall the petitions? Because they need to include something else there.

What makes me relax a little bit is that tis is a check on the USC, so it´s not a huge security thing. It´s just about meeting a new law. Also, with all the emergency, I think they are working on it full time. I don´t think they are sitting back and waiting. Even if it takes time, I think they are dealing with it on a daily basis.

Think about it, they are receiving cases everyday.

What frustrates me is that they haven´t said a thing. Since they contacted the Consulates and requested the petitions back, not even the Consulates heard back from them.

Believe me, we know much more than the Consulate in my country (and they do have a very helpful staff there! they just don´t have any information).

So if you think about it, they are in a comfortable position. They control the situation. They have been quiet for over a month now and what make us think they won´t be like that for the next month? Just our hope.

I don´t know. At the same time I think we´ll be hearing from them soon, I can´t see it. They don´t change the processing dates anymore.

I still think we need someone else within the government to provide us with news. A senator, a friend, anyone...

We´ll be the last ones to know.

The confusing thing is this. It's dated May 26. Is it new or is it the same old thing with a new date? It makes it sound like there is a new 60 day extension as of May 26 - meaning no approval on the new I-129F until July 26 but it doesn't say that specifically in this document. I am clear that the other one that clearly stated an extension was in reference to something else, but what is this? My government guy says this means another 60 days. : (

If granted, the emergency approval is only valid for 180 days. All

comments and/or questions pertaining to this pending request for

emergency approval must be directed to OMB, Office of Information and

Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Desk Officer, Department of Homeland

Security, 725-17th Street, NW., Suite 10235, Washington, DC 20503.

During the first 60 days of this period, a regular review of this

information collection is also being undertaken.

The way I read (and I also read this in an article of a lwyer), it means the emergency approval will allow them to work with this form for 180 days while collecting comments for the first 60.

It sounds clear to me....

The form is approved. That´s one thing. They will collect information about it during it. That´s another thing. It doesn´t say anywhere that they will only use the form after the collection is done.

Timeline

OK so just one more question.

Where can I read something that shows that it was already approved? If that is the case, and they are continuing to collect comments, I can handle it.

I'm trying to get my government friend to help since my senator's office was clueless. If I show him something indicating approval, maybe he can clarify. I'm so tired of this. The lack of information is wearing me down and I'm losing my fight. I have to stick it out here until September and then I'm moving to Mexico to wait out the rest of this process with my fiance. We have a long way to go. I just thought this part was going to be the fastest and that dealing with USCIS would be much easier than dealing with the consulate in Mexico. Boy was I wrong.

Timeline
OK so just one more question.

Where can I read something that shows that it was already approved? If that is the case, and they are continuing to collect comments, I can handle it.

I'm trying to get my government friend to help since my senator's office was clueless. If I show him something indicating approval, maybe he can clarify. I'm so tired of this. The lack of information is wearing me down and I'm losing my fight. I have to stick it out here until September and then I'm moving to Mexico to wait out the rest of this process with my fiance. We have a long way to go. I just thought this part was going to be the fastest and that dealing with USCIS would be much easier than dealing with the consulate in Mexico. Boy was I wrong.

There´s a link posted by Mike a few days ago (you need to search, I don´t have it here) showing the I129F on OMB website as approved.

And there´s also this link showing the form is under review, collecting comments, which is what the emergency request states.

The expiration date of the approved form on OMB website is 06/30/06. Same as the draft, same as the old one..

The fact the emergency request (http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/pra/i-129f_83-i.pdf) asks for the approval by June 9th and the fact that someone posted here an email from a Senator saying USCIS told him the form should be approved by last week, are facts that make us believe that the new form is indeed approved.

But there´s no way to give your friend a link saying "THE NEW I129F IS APPROVED AND READY TO GO.

But I do think he misunderstood the statement you posted here.

:)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Has anyone else contacted Vermont or their service center for any updates??? I am going to call again tomorrow, but with different questions, that maybe will help us. Here is how you contact vermont directly:

1-800-375-5283

Then press 1-2-6-1

Enter Receipt Number

Then press 3-2-1

First I will ask to speak with a supervisor this time. Here are the questions I will ask:

Has my petition been thru the additional security checks now required?

Has the new I-129F Form been approved?

If not, what is the is the deadline for this form to be approved?

Has the emergency collection of information been approved?

If not, what is the deadline for this to be approved?

How will they be requestion the information from me?

Are they close to having a system set up for collecting this information?

Will the petitions be processed by earliest Receipt date to the present?

I suggest everyone needs to call, and get some answers.

Now I have a decision to make, I visited my fiancee this past December and January for 3 weeks. It has been 6 months now since I have seen her and it is killing us, because we thought her interview would be in July or at the latest August. Now we have no idea when she will interview. I will be flying there for her interview for another 3 weeks, but I hope that thee consular doesn't question why I haven't returned to see her since January. The truth, because the US government royal screwed up, but they will fail her if she would say that. I want to go back to see her so badly now, and suprise her, but it will put a financial burden on us if I fly there now and again when she has her interview. By the way she lives in Vietnam, and the plane tickets are above $1000. I wish us all luck by the end of this week.

I-129F Timeline:

03-10-06 - Sent I-129F to USCIS

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

11-22-06 - Got the Visa!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

02-14-07 - NOA1 (Sent to Missouri)

03-06-07 - Biometrics Appointment

03-07-07 - Transferred to CSC

05-03-07 - Card Production Ordered Email

05-10-07 - Green Card In Hand

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

03-09-09 - NOA1 (1 yr Extension)

04-08-09 - Biometrics

07-09-09 - Card Production Ordered Email

07-17-09 - Green Card In Hand

I-130 Filing for Step-Son

11-30-09 - Received at USCIS

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

03-05-10 - NVC Case # Assigned

03-09-10 - NVC Mailed DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-12-10 - Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

03-13-10 - Received Email from NVC stating they received DS-3032 (Also received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 in the mail)

03-14-10 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee and IV Bill online

03-16-10 - NVC Website updated to PAID for both fee's

03-17-10 - Petitioner and Agent received emails to further proceed with case

08-05-10 - NVC Case Completed

10-27-10 - Interview PASSED

10-28-10 - Picked up Visa

Mike (United States) & Huong (Vietnam)

Timeline
Now I have a decision to make, I visited my fiancee this past December and January for 3 weeks. It has been 6 months now since I have seen her and it is killing us, because we thought her interview would be in July or at the latest August. Now we have no idea when she will interview. I will be flying there for her interview for another 3 weeks, but I hope that thee consular doesn't question why I haven't returned to see her since January. The truth, because the US government royal screwed up, but they will fail her if she would say that. I want to go back to see her so badly now, and suprise her, but it will put a financial burden on us if I fly there now and again when she has her interview. By the way she lives in Vietnam, and the plane tickets are above $1000. I wish us all luck by the end of this week.

that's a great list of questions and I hope you get answers.

In the meantime, I don't think the consular officer will question why you haven't been there since January. But I would throw caution to the wind and go surprise her. It's $1000 on your credit card. Money well spent. It's worth it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sure a lot of you have already seen this but there is a brand new thread titled "Visa Interview Cancelled at Last Minute". Billy posted this - an immigration lawyer named Cyrus Mehta had this to say:

At the AILA-NY Chapter Meeting on June 5, 2006, Keith Canby, Adjudications Manager of the USCIS Vermont Service Center indicated that the VSC is currently holding all I-129F cases received on or after March 6, 2006. Mr. Canby indicated that these cases would be held until HQ issues guidance on how to proceed with respect to capturing information required by IMBRA.

At last - (semi) official word! But I find it quite discouraging that he made this statement only one week ago... :(

Timeline
Has anyone else contacted Vermont or their service center for any updates??? I am going to call again tomorrow, but with different questions, that maybe will help us. Here is how you contact vermont directly:

1-800-375-5283

Then press 1-2-6-1

Enter Receipt Number

Then press 3-2-1

First I will ask to speak with a supervisor this time. Here are the questions I will ask:

Has my petition been thru the additional security checks now required?

Has the new I-129F Form been approved?

If not, what is the is the deadline for this form to be approved?

Has the emergency collection of information been approved?

If not, what is the deadline for this to be approved?

How will they be requestion the information from me?

Are they close to having a system set up for collecting this information?

Will the petitions be processed by earliest Receipt date to the present?

I suggest everyone needs to call, and get some answers.

Mike, I would just change the first question. Ask them if while they figure this new law out, they are doing new security checks or just holding the petitions waiting for further informations.

Also, ask them if they already know how the process is gonna work after IMBRA or if they still have people deciding how things will be.

As for visiting your fiancée, I´d go for it.

I brought my girl here 2 weeks ago. I also spent a huge part of the money to do this but we feel so much stronger now. There are things money can´t buy, so use your Mastercard! :)

You´ll see. Everything will be easier after you do this. That´s how I see it. Not everything in life is about the future. Live the present too. :)

Mike,

I would love if you can ask them 2 1/2 additional key questions, which are:

Are the recalled approved petitions going to qualify for expedited processing due to USCIS error?

Whose responsibility is it to prepare the IMBRA petitioner resource pamphlets and what is the status on that?

And try to get the name and contact number of the individual at whatever level who can answer the questions Vermont can't.

Thx for staying ahead of the curve. Have a good time if you do go.

I have kept up with this thread from the very beginning since we are affected by this too. I am more confused than ever on this.

It makes you just want to scream. If I wasn't sharing an office with somebody, I would probably do that just to let off some steam! :crying:

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.