GaryC

Lets collect some information about IMBRA effects

1,434 posts in this topic

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah well i know it is hard to try being optimistic but it is better than sitting there and cry all day (although I sometimes would like). Eventually we will be together with our loved ones....And Im really curious what the processing date says on monday...cant wait to see it.

Lg Isabel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

02/28/06...NOA1....I-130 VSC

May 2006..Medical in Frankfurt

06/14/06...I-130 approved via email [day 111]

06/19/06...NOA2....I-130 received via mail

07/10/06...talked to embassy to expedite the process

07/12/06...NVC stated case completed and sent to FRANKFURT[day 147]

07/17/06...received packet 3 from embassy

07/29/06...received packet 4

08/15/06...INTERVIEW at 7:30am- APPROVED

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

08/23/06...I am back home

09/20/06...received greencard in mail

09/27/06...received SSC in Mail

09/23/07...our daughter was born :)

30/05/07...filed for Removal of Conditions

07/05/08...received NOA for I-751

01/07/08...college here I come :)

waiting for biometrics and Approval.....

usa1.gifKeith & IsabelgermanyWHT_rd30.gif

Filed: Timeline
I also see that some peeps are saying something about biometrics? I hope not. The nearest office is 2 hours away for me.
This is strange. I think this must be some error. The law requries a background check, not the FBI fingerprint check. Just sharing background records already there, with the beneficiary...

I also see that some peeps are saying something about biometrics? I hope not. The nearest office is 2 hours away for me.
This is strange. I think this must be some error. The law requries a background check, not the FBI fingerprint check. Just sharing background records already there, with the beneficiary...

Who is sharing background records with beneficiary? :blink:

Lg Bel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Bel that is what the entire law is about. Imbra is set up to protect the beneficiary from the United States citizen (petitioner). They are requiring a criminal history ie. background check on the petitioner which will become available to the beneficiary so that they are made aware of any potential of the petitioner to harm them. It discloses whether they have a criminal history involving abuses and such. This information is passed along to the beneficiary so they can decide on whether to go ahead with their engagement and subsequent move to the United States. It's to protect the foreign beneficiary.

At least this is what I have gained from reading all of this. I could be wrong.

Bel that is what the entire law is about. Imbra is set up to protect the beneficiary from the United States citizen (petitioner). They are requiring a criminal history ie. background check on the petitioner which will become available to the beneficiary so that they are made aware of any potential of the petitioner to harm them. It discloses whether they have a criminal history involving abuses and such. This information is passed along to the beneficiary so they can decide on whether to go ahead with their engagement and subsequent move to the United States. It's to protect the foreign beneficiary.

At least this is what I have gained from reading all of this. I could be wrong.

Oh ok thanks, I thought he is refering to something else....sorry :whistle:

I still dont get what they expect the *already* spouse to do if they find out about a criminal background of the husband?????

Divorce? Or what? I dont think that makes sense at all???

I understand the USC backgroundcheck (as long as the (to be protected) benificiary is a fiance(e))

Am I the only one who is wondering about that? :blink:

Lg Bel

Edited by Isabel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
I still dont get what they expect the *already* spouse to do if they find out about a criminal background of the husband?????

Divorce? Or what? I dont think that makes sense at all???

I understand the USC backgroundcheck (as long as the (to be protected) benificiary is a fiance(e))

Am I the only one who is wondering about that? :blink:

Lg Bel

Maybe, yeah. This is the k1 forum, so not many of us have filled for K3.

I can´t wait to see if USCIS will change the processing dates tomorrow, and if the new form will be approved. Sounds like it´s getting closer!

Timeline

---

That´s what I was afraid of.

Just got this from another thread and will ask Aussiewench and other members who know more than I do to give their opinion.

This person, who did use an IMB emailed their agency to ask for further information on how to proceed regarding new IMBRA request and got this as an answer:

"Dear Member,

Thank you for your email regarding the new US law for online dating

companies to collect criminal background information from US citizens who

contact foreign nationals.

We have just learnt that Judge Clarence Cooper of the United States

District court has granted a temporary injunction against the United

States government from enforcing the International Marriage Broker

Regulation Act of 2005 pending a further hearing on March 20th 2006 to rule on

the constitutional validity of the above law.

Therefore, any of our US members who had been affected by the above law

will for now be able to continue to use the website without the need to

complete any IMBRA background information. We are hopeful that the

United States District Court will confirm the unconstitutional nature of

this law on March 20th and will keep you informed of the status of this

regulation.

For further information on IMBRA2005 click on this link…

http://usaimmigrationattorney.com/nucleus/index.php

To read the injunction click on this link. Thank you for your

attention. We will inform members in the event of this law becoming active again

in future."

I mean, am I crazy or you guys also think this will stop the process of getting the new form working soon?

I don´t know what to think.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

DON'T WORRY

It's old news - it's already expired. The hearing was March 20.

Timeline
DON'T WORRY

It's old news - it's already expired. The hearing was March 20.

Are you sure? She said she got this today, and it says they "just heard from this judge decision".

I´m panicking because the new form is almost there... and I just thought it would stop the whole thing, right when it seems to be working again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am sure this is coming to an end, let´s just be patient folks, you´re all getting yourselves confused again.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Are you sure? She said she got this today, and it says they "just heard from this judge decision".

I´m panicking because the new form is almost there... and I just thought it would stop the whole thing, right when it seems to be working again.

Yup - it was already addressed in a thread several weeks ago -- also it's clear that it's a form letter and it doesn't even address the original question that person sent.

Note this part to see how old this is:

We are hopeful that the United States District Court will confirm the unconstitutional nature of this law on March 20th and will keep you informed of the status of this regulation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I agree with Laura, lets not confuse ourselves. This same infomraiton was posted a few weeks ago. It is more important to focus on the new information we have learned this week. I would rather stayed focused on the postive energy that we have had this past week on VJ. So good look to all of us this week and hopefully the new formed is released and we all receive our RFE's this week and then lets see who can get it returned the fastest.

Look everyone welcome to the USA Birzaro world of immigration. IN the magical land of Bizaro USA, those who play by the rules and file properly and obey the rules are penalized and mistreated. But if you break the law and do things illegally you are rewarded (refering to certain group of 11 million people who just protested for their "rights" and will be given citizenship because it is the "humane" thing to do)

Just remember we are americans ( and americans to be) and our governement will use and abuse us, because thats what americans let our government do. God bless america.

I think it's just a matter of numbers -- 11 million people can demand virtually whatever they want, even if they're here illegally. That's 11 million people who probably have family members and friends and supporters and sympathizers who are USCs who will vote and influence elections. I don't know how many people apply for the K-1 every year, but it's probably a much smaller group than 11 million people -- and so, we matter less to most politicians. This is complete #######. Also, they probably figure that if we're going through all this trouble in the first place, we'll take whatever new laws and restrictions they throw out and continue to wait and follow everything to the letter.

It's funny because this new law probably is really a "good thing" because it aims to protect foreign women from abuse and I bet most people would be in support of it, but the way they're going about enforcing it is SO ridiculous and heartbreaking and it does seem like they're punishing people.

They should NOT have done such a sudden cut off. Especially without so much as a real warning. If they had done it, we would have been talking about this for months. I have never heard anything about this until today, and what worries me, I haven't heard anything about this from the DHS yet because my Recipt date is March 22nd 2006 and that means I guess I fall into this #######. So, I have to wait EVEN LONGER?!! I am so livid right now, I can barely type.

Meh, nothing to see here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.