GaryC

Lets collect some information about IMBRA effects

1,434 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Well, from what I read it all seems pretty straight forward. If you have been convicted for any of the mentioned crimes you need to provide police records with the petition. This information will be provided to the beneficiary for awareness. I read a post earlier asking if the government would be denying approval based on past convictions. I feel this would be highly unconstitutional and would create a huge uproar for later law suites. Thus this information is to be provided to the beneficiary for a better clue as to the person she is getting involved with. "we as americans have the right to marry whom we want" regardless of any past crime or conviction. From what I read everything should be picking up again soon.

I have a question: I have had 3 DUI's, 2 convictions and 1 PBJ. I wonder if I should just send in a complete criminal background check with all charges and outcomes ever had, just to be on the safe side, or should I just not send anything and not check a box on the petition. I am one who likes to cover all his bases but I wonder if there is such a thing as too much information. I dunno!!!

06/30/06- sent I-129F petition to VSC.

07/11/06- NOA1 (received in mail)

07/19/06- RFE received in mail, IMBRA

07/28/06- e-mail, IMBRA RFE received at VSC

09/11/06- called VSC, told I'm with an adjudicating officer

09/25/06- called VSC, told to file expedited service, outside 60 days of RFE received date

09/26/06- sent expedited service request to VSC via fax and snail mail

09/26/06- Senators and Congressman making inquiries into my petition

09/29/06- expedited service request approved by VSC director

10/04/06- e-mail NOA2 approved!!!!!!

10/05/06- NVC received

10/06/06- NVC forwarded to Poland Embassy

10/16/06- Packet #3 received

10/17/06- Packet #3 sent to US Embassy Warsaw

10/30/06- Packet #4 received

10/30/06- Interview scheduled for November 22nd!!!

11/30/06- Visa in hand, via DHL!!!!

12/05/06- Ania and I arrive together in the USA

02/11/07- Ania applied for Social Security Card

02/17/07- Ania and I were MARRIED!!!!!!

07/24/07- Social Security Card in hand- after some minor issues and a little procrastination :)

10/14/07- I-485, I-765, and permission to travel mailed to USCIS

10/17/07- Received NOA1

12/17/07- I-485 shipped to California Service Center for faster service

12/17/07- I-765 approved new card should be mailed within 30 days, Advanced parole approved

02/28/08- AOS APPROVED!!!! PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED!!!!! (card received couple weeks after approval)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, from what I read it all seems pretty straight forward. If you have been convicted for any of the mentioned crimes you need to provide police records with the petition. This information will be provided to the beneficiary for awareness. I read a post earlier asking if the government would be denying approval based on past convictions. I feel this would be highly unconstitutional and would create a huge uproar for later law suites. Thus this information is to be provided to the beneficiary for a better clue as to the person she is getting involved with. "we as americans have the right to marry whom we want" regardless of any past crime or conviction. From what I read everything should be picking up again soon.

Precisely. The petition will not be denied on such a basis; rather, the beneficiary will have the choice whether or not to go forward, fully apprised of anything in his or her partner's past. If the beneficiary trusts that the petitioner will not repeat such behavior, then he or she is free to continue to pursue the visa.

And of course, if the petitioner has been honest with the beneficiary from the get go, then there ought not be a problem.

Right?

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think this law is godd for those invloved, but why is the US citizen not given the same right. AS far as I know we are not informed of any criminal backround.

I-129F Timeline:

03-10-06 - Sent I-129F to USCIS

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

11-22-06 - Got the Visa!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

02-14-07 - NOA1 (Sent to Missouri)

03-06-07 - Biometrics Appointment

03-07-07 - Transferred to CSC

05-03-07 - Card Production Ordered Email

05-10-07 - Green Card In Hand

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

03-09-09 - NOA1 (1 yr Extension)

04-08-09 - Biometrics

07-09-09 - Card Production Ordered Email

07-17-09 - Green Card In Hand

I-130 Filing for Step-Son

11-30-09 - Received at USCIS

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

03-05-10 - NVC Case # Assigned

03-09-10 - NVC Mailed DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-12-10 - Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

03-13-10 - Received Email from NVC stating they received DS-3032 (Also received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 in the mail)

03-14-10 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee and IV Bill online

03-16-10 - NVC Website updated to PAID for both fee's

03-17-10 - Petitioner and Agent received emails to further proceed with case

08-05-10 - NVC Case Completed

10-27-10 - Interview PASSED

10-28-10 - Picked up Visa

Mike (United States) & Huong (Vietnam)

Au contraire. Your foreign sweetie has to obtain a police certificate to obtain her visa, yes? And if there's anything in her past much worse than a speeding ticket, you're going to know about it, because she'd have to then file a waiver to get the visa.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Timeline

mike,

Less demonstrated need for it? How many US women (or men) are abused or killed by their immigrant husbands (or wives)? A few, surely, but not as many as the other way around.

And if your alien fiance(e) or spouse does have a serious criminal background that they didn't tell you about, you are going to find out about it when the consular officer denies the visa application.

Yodrak

I think this law is godd for those invloved, but why is the US citizen not given the same right. AS far as I know we are not informed of any criminal backround.
Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
There's a light at the end of the tunnel folks.

Yeah, it's another train heading towards yours.

08/07/05 - Traveled to Bangkok on business.

08/23/05 - Met Paveena in Bangkok.

03/25/06 - Spent a total of 6 months in Thailand, back to USA.

04/12/06 - Sent I-129F to NSC

04/19/06 - Check cashed

04/22/06 - Received NOA1

06/01/06 - Case transfered to CSC.

06/02/06 - Touched

06/03/06 - Touched

06/05/06 - Angry as hell at the government for its incompetence in handling the IMBRA law

06/14/06 - Touched with a NOA1 notice from CSC. Great. Next time the government decides to take over health care or some other important/large enterprise, remember the IMBRA fiasco and be glad you were not waiting for a heart transplant.

06/15/06 - Touched

06/16/06 - Touched

06/17/06 - Touched

07/03/06 - RFE for IMBRA

07/05/06 - RFE Sent back to CSC

07/11/06 - Touched

07/17/06 - Notice that IMBRA RFE was received and is in the system

08/05/06 - NOA2 Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok guys I just reread the email and noticed something.

On June 1, 2006, we transferred your I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) to an

office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. That office has

jurisdiction over the case. They will send you a written decision as soon

as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you

that your case has been transferred to a local office.

This sounds like it is going to our local offices. What does everybody else think? :huh:

Honestly? I think it was a poor choice of wording on their part, and they mean you'll hear from your consulate once the petition has been approved in Cali and sent on its way. I mean, the local offices hardly do any processing anymore, since the Chicago lockbox came into effect. JMHO.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There's a light at the end of the tunnel folks.

Yeah, it's another train heading towards yours.

Hahahaha. That's about how I feel right now!

I called USCIS yesterday; the problem I'm having now is that they haven't yet received the file back from the Embassy. So State can't tell me anything because they have sent the file back, and USCIS can't tell me anything because they don't have it. So I'm in limbo until someone has the damn file.

I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged by the draft form; I'm hoping this doesn't mean we have to send the whole application all over again. And pay another $170. But I suspect that will be the case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm hoping this doesn't mean we have to send the whole application all over again. And pay another $170. But I suspect that will be the case.

They won't expect you to pay again. It will most likely just be an RFE with the new form.

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'm hoping this doesn't mean we have to send the whole application all over again. And pay another $170. But I suspect that will be the case.

They won't expect you to pay again. It will most likely just be an RFE with the new form.

I'm less worried about paying again, although I wouldn't be pleased, that I am about having to reapply from scratch with the new form.

I'm just trying to let it go for now. I'm going over to the UK to visit at the end of July. If nothing has happened by then, I'll reconsider moving to the UK.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Here's asort of "What would you do?" question for everyone.

Our scheduled interview was cancelled and now we evidently have to respond to a forthcoming RFE and fill out a new I-129F form. My fiance co-runs an agency and we met because of this but not through the agency. On the originally approved I-129F for how we met I answered we met during a trip to Russia where she acted as my guide and translator.

She is not listed on any agency nor was she seeking a foreign husband. So when the new form asks whether we met through an agency how do I answer so as not to unnecessarily delay the process? Further complicating this is my provided email correspondence has her agency name in the domain. Note that I do not have any criminal record.

Here's asort of "What would you do?" question for everyone.

Our scheduled interview was cancelled and now we evidently have to respond to a forthcoming RFE and fill out a new I-129F form. My fiance co-runs an agency and we met because of this but not through the agency. On the originally approved I-129F for how we met I answered we met during a trip to Russia where she acted as my guide and translator.

She is not listed on any agency nor was she seeking a foreign husband. So when the new form asks whether we met through an agency how do I answer so as not to unnecessarily delay the process? Further complicating this is my provided email correspondence has her agency name in the domain. Note that I do not have any criminal record.

Answer truthfully. If you did not meet through the agency then the answer is no on the form.

With anything even prior to the IMBRA if there was anything that you felt explained your case further especially with potential red flags, then one could provide that on a seperate sheet.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Our scheduled interview was cancelled and now we evidently have to respond to a forthcoming RFE and fill out a new I-129F form.

We still don't know what the next step will be - we are just taking guesses because it gives us somethign to do!

As for your situation... she runs a marriage broker type agency? But you contacted it not to meet a woman but to get a translator? If she runs this agency, won't it show on the forms you are filling out, as her employer? That might raise a few eyebrows, I'd imagine. If I were filling out the form, I would say you met when she was your translator, because that is the truth, but you may want to explain the rest of it, to avoid further RFE's. ?

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Our scheduled interview was cancelled and now we evidently have to respond to a forthcoming RFE and fill out a new I-129F form.

We still don't know what the next step will be - we are just taking guesses because it gives us somethign to do!

As for your situation... she runs a marriage broker type agency? But you contacted it not to meet a woman but to get a translator? If she runs this agency, won't it show on the forms you are filling out, as her employer? That might raise a few eyebrows, I'd imagine. If I were filling out the form, I would say you met when she was your translator, because that is the truth, but you may want to explain the rest of it, to avoid further RFE's. ?

Well can anyone say for certain the ramifications of answering "yes" to this question? The petitioner is already required to provide criminal backgound if they have one, no matter how they met. Maybe it is to verify the agency that they met through is compliant with IMBRA (That they "broker" provided the benificiary with the criminal background BEFORE they met).

Well can anyone say for certain the ramifications of answering "yes" to this question? The petitioner is already required to provide criminal backgound if they have one, no matter how they met. Maybe it is to verify the agency that they met through is compliant with IMBRA (That they "broker" provided the benificiary with the criminal background BEFORE they met).

Its two pronged really, as they will verbally ask the same question of the foreign fiance/spouse as well at the interview. I dont know of any ramifications, as long as both have been honest. But yes, from reading the IMBRA they do wish to make sure that the broker has complied.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.