His Glory

Disheartened

53 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

I am amused most times by the looks we get from others. When I was living in St Lucia I was "the WHite girl" and Louis got such $hit for being the Rasta with the white girl. I would say 99% of the time we would laugh it off.

Now that he is here we are getting different kinds of looks. We live in a 99.99% white community. My light brown daughter is the minority! LOL

But Louis got here right before she finished school and of course she wanted us to pick her up so all her friends could see him. So this one lady and her son (about 11 I would say) were walking in as we were coming out and she says OUT LOUD and so happily... "Oh Look, a REAL Rastaman"... she was so happy! So the looks Louis and I get here dont seem to be hateful... more like and exotic anomoly that no one has seen before.

I think Louis may feel a bit awkward sometimes but he thinks its kinda funny too.

Hateful people are just so miserable with their own lives that they want everyone else to feel the same way. I always say, we are all pink on the inside! LOL

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I know I've talked about this before, but we've definitely had our share of racism pointed in our general direction. I never knew it was still alive until I married my husband. I will say though that it has died down almost comletely since we had our son. I don't know why but when we are there with DS people seem to just smile at all of us, but when it is just DH and I people give us odd looks. We've only had a few nasty comments made and it definitely made me mad for a while, but they are few and far between. I think it does have a lot to do with where you live. We live near DC now where there are tons of interracial couples. We're considering moving back to Texas where I'm sure there will be a lot more to deal with.

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

How many black Americans are willing to go to an African country and marry an African man? Yes there are some but not many at all.

There is still a stigma in the US about Africans and Africa in general from a good majority of the black community. Most black Americans won't even acknowledge that their roots are in Africa, but now when they see you with your husband, they want to hate. I remember so many ignorant statements made by black Americans about foreign black men.

This situation is deeper than you know and it is a sticky subject.

Let the haters hate and if they have a problem with you and your husband, tell them to visit the lands from which thier ancestors sprung and they too can find plenty of good black men. You have not taken the last good black man in the world. Don't let anyone steel your joy. How may of those haters would have gone through the process you have and deal with the cultural differences and financial strain???

Yes, I am slightly pissed by their ignorance. You went through a lot in your life and you should be happy. When they give you dirty looks, you give them the sweetest smile because they don't know what you know!

P.S. My statement comes from personal experiences and not made to offend anyone. God knows its the truth.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Well said, a lot of people won't go through this visa journey to be with the one they love black or white.

It's a hard a tedious process. I love your comments Asante!!!!

Amy & Ola

LOVE is in your heart not to stay, but to be shared

I-130

2006-Met Online!

3/2/07-Married in Lagos!

3/12/07- Mailed I-130 to CSC

3/19/07-CSC received application

3/23/07-Received NOA-1 in mail from CSC

5/31/07-Touched!

7/30/07-Touched!

7/31/07-Touched!- Could this be a sign?God I hope so!

8/01/07-APPROVAL-via USCIS email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/06/07-Received hardcopy NOA-2 in mail from CSC

K-3

3/?/07-Mailed I-129F to Chicago

4/9/07-Received at Chicago

4/11/07-Recieved NOA-1 Case being transferred to CSC

4/25/07-Received NOA-1 Case at CSC

5/31/07-Touched!

7/30/07-Touched!

7/31/07-Touched!- Could this be a sign?God I hope so!

8/01/07-Approval-via USCIS email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/06/07-Received hardcopy NOA-2 in mail from CSC

8/29/07-Called NVC was told my petition was sent to Lagos Cons. Aug.22, 2007 got my case #

8/31/07-Received NVC Approval Letter in the Mail

9/4/07-Husband picked up packets 3 and 4-Interview Date Set for Oct.31st, 2007!

10/31/07-K3 Interview-APPROVED!!!!!!

11/06/07-Pick up Visa

11/10/07-POE Atlanta

AOS JOURNEY

12/21/07-Mailed AOS to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

12/23/07-Chicago Lockbox received AOS and EAD petition

01/04/08-NOA1 received for AOS and EAD via mail

01/29/08-Biometrics!

02/19/08-Touched! EAD Card Production Ordered

02/26/08-Email from CRIS EAD Approval Letter sent out

02/27/08-EAD Card received in mail

02/28/08-Applied for SS#

03/01/08-Received AOS Appt. Letter in Mail(No touches or emails on this case)

04/29/08-AOS Interview! Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
It's a hard a tedious process. I love your comments Asante!!!!

Thanks, Aras. It's a tough subject to discuss. People are ignorant and we can not change that. We just got to continue living our life for ourselves and try to ignore the negativity. Times are changing and with that, so does attitudes and levels of tolerance. Lets just hope the change is for the good.

Don't let anyone steal your joy, people!!!

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well i feel what you are feeling, but i want to let you know that you should not be border by anybodies look, this is your life, this is your marriage, because you remember what the pastor says "what God has joined together, let no man (even looks)should not seperate" this is my thoughts to you to conquered there mind.

good luck

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
How many black Americans are willing to go to an African country and marry an African man? Yes there are some but not many at all.

There is still a stigma in the US about Africans and Africa in general from a good majority of the black community. Most black Americans won't even acknowledge that their roots are in Africa, but now when they see you with your husband, they want to hate. I remember so many ignorant statements made by black Americans about foreign black men.

This situation is deeper than you know and it is a sticky subject.

Let the haters hate and if they have a problem with you and your husband, tell them to visit the lands from which thier ancestors sprung and they too can find plenty of good black men. You have not taken the last good black man in the world. Don't let anyone steel your joy. How may of those haters would have gone through the process you have and deal with the cultural differences and financial strain???

Yes, I am slightly pissed by their ignorance. You went through a lot in your life and you should be happy. When they give you dirty looks, you give them the sweetest smile because they don't know what you know!

P.S. My statement comes from personal experiences and not made to offend anyone. God knows its the truth.

I just read this and said "wow". Thank you for this very well said reply.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I've always gotten looks and eventually learned to let it go. I think the best revenge is to live fully and happily. They can't steal that from you, you have to give it to them. My ex husband is chinese. Not chinese-american. Chinese, born and raised on mainland china. We got looks like you wouldn't believe. Black men and asian women are cool, but a black woman and an asian man. People just couldn't process it. We lived in NYC. So I couldn't imagine living in some small town where the people's eyes are even more closed to change. My daughter is biracial and fortunately, where we live now, is the majority. I always joke that I live in the biracial capital of the world. She's still had to say to people, my mom is brown, so what? But she's in a place where she is growing proud. As adults, we have to tap our inner strength because we are in fact rebuilding reality. We are reshaping what is "normal" in people's minds. Don't hide, don't be ashamed, be proud. Not many people can be change agents. Because to be one takes phenomenol strength. I've been one for almost my whole life. And I embrace it. It's a gift from God to force people to see things differently. Now, they see me with Bassi and I smile brightly and they can't help but smile too. They want to be miserable, but my joy is contagious.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline
I've always gotten looks and eventually learned to let it go. I think the best revenge is to live fully and happily. They can't steal that from you, you have to give it to them. My ex husband is chinese. Not chinese-american. Chinese, born and raised on mainland china. We got looks like you wouldn't believe. Black men and asian women are cool, but a black woman and an asian man. People just couldn't process it. We lived in NYC. So I couldn't imagine living in some small town where the people's eyes are even more closed to change. My daughter is biracial and fortunately, where we live now, is the majority. I always joke that I live in the biracial capital of the world. She's still had to say to people, my mom is brown, so what? But she's in a place where she is growing proud. As adults, we have to tap our inner strength because we are in fact rebuilding reality. We are reshaping what is "normal" in people's minds. Don't hide, don't be ashamed, be proud. Not many people can be change agents. Because to be one takes phenomenol strength. I've been one for almost my whole life. And I embrace it. It's a gift from God to force people to see things differently. Now, they see me with Bassi and I smile brightly and they can't help but smile too. They want to be miserable, but my joy is contagious.

Well said, mama!

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sorry to hear of your experience.

I dont post too often anymore, but do read the posts every once in a while. I used to notice the looks too, mostly from white people though. However, as time has gone on, I really haven't noticed it too much these days, and it doesn't seem to be a problem for us. I did notice though, that the looks are somehow different when we have our son with us. Almost like, "oh ok, they are a family". It is annoying, but my husband and I are just doing our best to be productive, and forget about everyone else.

Best Wishes

Jodi

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

Timeline
Sorry to hear of your experience.

I dont post too often anymore, but do read the posts every once in a while. I used to notice the looks too, mostly from white people though. However, as time has gone on, I really haven't noticed it too much these days, and it doesn't seem to be a problem for us. I did notice though, that the looks are somehow different when we have our son with us. Almost like, "oh ok, they are a family". It is annoying, but my husband and I are just doing our best to be productive, and forget about everyone else.

Best Wishes

Jodi

You are the second person who said that they get different looks when you are with your children. That is so strange. It's not okay for you to date, but since your married...what the heck!

I wonder what the difference is in the eyes of the onlookers...

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That was PROFOUND!

Wow!

Goosebumps yet again.....

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

im never ashamed of us but it would be nice to just be able to go shopping and be considered normal. i do appreciate that we are changing what is normal for those close minded people and the more we are seen the better, but something I just feel like being ourselves and not up to reshaping the world :D But definately not hiding

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Timeline
im never ashamed of us but it would be nice to just be able to go shopping and be considered normal. i do appreciate that we are changing what is normal for those close minded people and the more we are seen the better, but something I just feel like being ourselves and not up to reshaping the world :D But definately not hiding

This too shall pass, mama! :thumbs:

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Timeline

It may not happen for you sweetie. But because of you, it can happen for your children.

And when you're having a bad day, stick your tongue out at them. :P It's so ridiculous it always makes me laugh. Childish behavior begets childish behavior.

Edited by Bassi and Zainab

AOS

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Timeline

That was PROFOUND!

Wow!

Goosebumps yet again.....

:blush:

It must be because my man is home!

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.