derekkj

Canada Day!

39 posts in this topic

I would love to go, but I'll be working :(

I wonder if my boss would let me go, heck he'd probably want to go to! :lol:

Hmmm...*note to self...ask* :D

Actually...my boss is pretty cool about giving me Canadian holidays off...don't know about next week though with July 4 on the Friday as well.

Edited by J&K

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is the most recent information about the Atlanta Canada Day celebrations . .. and I'm with Karen on this one - I wish the Consulate would do something again rather than a 'sports bar' party - it was held at the Atlanta Zoo and was great fun!

Hope you can all make it to the party this Saturday, here are some more details for you all...

* First 50 people will receive complimentary Atlanta Thrasher Blueland t-shirts

* First 50 people will also receive a copy of local Canadian award winning recording artist Marcus G's <http://www.marcusg.biz/> CD "Destination Unknown"

* "Thrash" the mascot of the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers will be there to meet the kids!!!

* There will be a raffle for many door prizes between 8 and 9, including a chance for a luncheon for two at the Consul General's residence with Canadian Consul General to Atlanta Mr. Brian Oak and his lovely wife Lydia

ATLCanadians.com

3rd Annual Canada Day Celebration!!!

Saturday, June 28th 3pm til Close

Meehan's - Sandy Springs

www.meehansalehouse.com <http://www.meehansalehouse.com/>

We're all set for our 3rd Annual Celebration!

This will be the ONLY Canada Day Party in town and the largest in the Southeast USA!

- Again we will have the Thrashers Hockey in the Streets Program from 4-7 for the kids to have a blast with, they will be bringing the street hockey set up and other events!!!

- After the kids are done playing we will have live entertainment from Atlanta Kitchen Party, performing covers of Great Big Sea music

- There will be many prizes to be won:

- Molson Canadian on sale on TAP!!!

- Many other beer specials as well

- True Bloody Caesar's on sale

- Meehan's is creating a special Canada Day menu...included are Poutine, Tourtiere, PEI Mussels steamed in Canadian Lager, Garlic, Butter & Herbs, and Nanaimo Bars, as well as favourites from their daily menu!!!

- Door charge will be $10 with a portion of the proceeds going to the Atlanta Amateur Hockey League Foundation, all under 21 will be admitted free of charge!

- RBC will be on hand with an info booth to provide details on their many products as well as info for Cross Border banking

- The Canadian Consulate will be on hand with an info booth to provide information on the services they provide.

- For more information please email ATLCanadians@gmail.com <mailto:ATLCanadians@gmail.com>

- We're looking forward to making this the best Canada Day party Atlanta has ever had!!!

If you may need a hotel in the area for the night there is a Comfort Inn just blocks away from Meehan's

Comfort Inn Buckhead North (GA397)

5793 Roswell Road, NE , Atlanta, GA, US, 30328

Phone: (404) 252-6400 Fax: (404) 851-9306

If you require a cab home Meehan's staff will gladly call one for you.

If you require you and your car getting home together safely, ask the staff for the number to SafeRide America.

PLEASE TELL ANYONE YOU MAY THINK MAY BE INTERESTED, everyone is Welcome!!!

Marty

Founder, ATLCanadians.com

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

what is the address of the Canadian Embassy in DC? Is this at the Embassy? Where do you go? Just walk up to the Embassy?

So many questions.

Any rules regarding cameras or anything? Is this inside or out?

okay all done.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
- Meehan's is creating a special Canada Day menu...included are Poutine, Tourtiere, PEI Mussels steamed in Canadian Lager, Garlic, Butter & Herbs, and Nanaimo Bars, as well as favourites from their daily menu!!!

What the hell is a Nanaimo bar and a tortiere? I know Poutine is like lard on fries or something, but never heard of the other two...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Poutine is cheese curds on fries! MMMmmmm yummy. Tourtiere is a traditionally french meat pie. I'm almost 100% certain about that, and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me! :)

The other day I saw a white chocolate nanaimo bar! It was crazy! I have yet to try it but I will, soon! My favorite was always the mint one.

I wish that there was a Canada Day celebration here in Boise but there isn't. I think I'm going to try to find some ingredients for a traditional Ukrainian dish my mom always makes, and make that instead! :P

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Timeline

Tortiere is basically a French Canadian meat pie made with ground pork, ground veal and ground beef, with lots of herbs and spices - traditional for around Christmas time - Yum! I make a mean tortiere even though I am not French Canadian - I was born in Quebec, though!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

*laughs softly* Warlord, poutine is the furthest thing from "lard on french fries"...it might not be the healthiest thing though. Haven't tried tortiere...not sure I want to, but I am deffo looking forward to rappie pie and poutine when we go home this Saturday...and I hope to make it up to Digby for some out of this world scallops! Gonna have to try the naniamo bar too methinks. :D

Hmm...we need a smiley that says "YUM" or "MMMMMMMMM".

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Happy Canada Day Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :star:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

There's a Canadian-themed pub here in Houston...the aptly named Maple Leaf Pub. We're heading there tomorrow.

The wife tried to get some Keith's imported for me, but the liquor distributor down here couldn't do it. :(

I may be stuck drinking Moosehead for Canada Day. Sad.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have never been crazy about Nanaimo bars..

The Nanaimo bar is a dessert of Canadian origin popular across North America. A type of chocolate no-bake square, it receives its name from the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. It consists of a crumb-based layer, topped by a layer of light custard or vanilla butter icing, which is covered in chocolate.[1] Many varieties are possible by using different types of crumb, flavours of custard or icing (e.g. mint, peanut butter), and types of chocolate. Two popular variations on the traditional Nanaimo bar involve mint flavoured custard or mocha flavoured custard.

1942255-Travel_Picture-Nanaimo_Bars.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanaimo_bar

tourtière

DSCN3038.jpg

Poutine (Quebec French pronunciation putsɪn (help·info)) is a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown BBQ chicken gravy and sometimes other additional ingredients. The freshness of the curds is important as it makes them soft in the warm fries, without completely melting. It is a quintessential Canadian comfort food, especially but not exclusively among Québécois

poutine.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
what is the address of the Canadian Embassy in DC? Is this at the Embassy? Where do you go? Just walk up to the Embassy?

So many questions.

Any rules regarding cameras or anything? Is this inside or out?

okay all done.

Am sending you a PM with all the answers.

And, just FYI, if anyone else is planning on doing the DC thing, just make sure to RSVP by tonight on the Connect2Canada site. Apparently this year they will be checking names at the door.

Happy Canada Day!

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

It was lots of fun sorry I didn't run into any vj'ers though, it was pretty crowded but I am glad I went. Lots and lots of fun. If they have it next year I'll go again for sure.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I have never liked nanaimo bars.

I do love tortiere though. We always had it on Christmas eve. I love mine cold with lots of ketchup. Yum!!

yeah I find them too sweet...

so this morning I said to hubby," hey did you know it was Canada Day yesterday?" and he replied with "Happy Canada day" in a monotone voice :P:lol:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.