16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We sent in our AOS packet at the beginning of June. We got our date for Glen's biometrics, July 3.

Now I'm wondering how long it will be until he gets his temporary green card. I thought I heard it came 45-90 days after you file for AOS, but I want to make sure.

Although my income is above the poverty line and we meet the government requirements, life has just gotten so expensive. We had to buy a house because we couldn't stay in my tiny apartment with me, Glen, and four kids. We had to buy a second car also.

Our savings is slowly running out and I'm getting worried! I've never gone into debt in my life, and I don't want to now.

So... any ideas on how much longer we have to wait?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi Glen&Lisa,

It varies. Some got their GC faster than the others. Each case is different. Check my timeline so you will have an idea. Check on other timelines too.

Good Luck!

The timing varies with each case and each local office but I would plan for 90 days being the short end, not the long. The AOS forum has a thread for June 08 filers to keep up with June cases.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As others have said, it varies. Did you apply for work authorization (i.e. EAD) at the same time you filed for the AOS? If so he will be able to work once that has been approved and he receives the card.

AOS/EAD/I-130

Feb 18th, 2008-Paperwork mailed by laywer.

Feb 24th, 2008-NOA for all

March 22nd, 2008-Biometrics appointment.

March 24th, 2008-Touch on I-765

April 17th, 2008-Touch on I-485

April 30th, 2008-Card production ordered.

May 5th, 2008-Card production ordered again.

May 6th, 2008-Touch on I-765

May 8th, 2008-Approval notice sent for I-765

May 9th, 2008-Received EAD card in mail.

May 17th, 2008-Another touch on EAD (?)

May 21st, 2008-Interview date.

June 9th, 2008-Card production ordered and I-130 finally showing up online.

June 13th, 2008-Welcome letter arrived in mail.

June 18th, 2008-"Approval letter sent" email received from CRIS.

June 20th, 2008-Green card received!

As others have said, it varies. Did you apply for work authorization (i.e. EAD) at the same time you filed for the AOS? If so he will be able to work once that has been approved and he receives the card.

Yes, we did. I'm confused as to why, if he would've landed at JFK airport, he could have gotten his temp work stamp there, but doing it this way takes so long. I mean, why can't he just go to a local office and get something? It makes no sense to me.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, we did. I'm confused as to why, if he would've landed at JFK airport, he could have gotten his temp work stamp there, but doing it this way takes so long. I mean, why can't he just go to a local office and get something? It makes no sense to me.

It doesn't make sense to a lot of us....

Just to clarify... The EAD card typically is 60-90 days from application... the conditional (temporary? first?) greencard can come anywheres from 4-6 months typical, but some have waited several years.

YMMV

I feel your economic pain, and I hope really that your case goes as fast as possible. The only real temporary green card or ADIT stamp, is provided after you have been approved for the AOS; or if you are applying for the removal of conditions. These are the only ways to get a "temporary greencard".

Best of luck to you guys, and I really hope your case pushes quicker.

Best thing to do now, is apply for the EAD. You should get it in 3 months or so.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Just to clarify... The EAD card typically is 60-90 days from application... the conditional (temporary? first?) greencard can come anywheres from 4-6 months typical, but some have waited several years.

Ahh!! I'm less confused. I assumed that the "temporary green card" was the same as the EAD card. Ok, now I get it! So, the EAD lasts 90 days? Is it renewable if his conditional green card doesn't come in time?

I feel your economic pain, and I hope really that your case goes as fast as possible. The only real temporary green card or ADIT stamp, is provided after you have been approved for the AOS; or if you are applying for the removal of conditions. These are the only ways to get a "temporary greencard".

Best of luck to you guys, and I really hope your case pushes quicker.

Best thing to do now, is apply for the EAD. You should get it in 3 months or so.

We did apply for the EAD. I assumed that the conditional green card was the same thing as the EAD card. Now I get it! So the EAD card comes approx. 3 months after you file for it? Because if so, that could be by the end of summer. :dance:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ahh!! I'm less confused. I assumed that the "temporary green card" was the same as the EAD card. Ok, now I get it! So, the EAD lasts 90 days? Is it renewable if his conditional green card doesn't come in time?

EAD is 1 year and can be renewed

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

90 days it is for that EAD stamp that some of us get on their I-94 entering the country. The real EAD that you've filed for with AOS lasts one year. Mine EAD was approved last Friday and it took two months. Some people have to wait two-three weeks longer.

AOS

04-16-2008: AOS package Sent to Chicago via Express Mail

05-13-2008: Biometrics

05-22-2008: AOS trasfered to CSC

06-13/17-2008: EAD Approved (2 CRIS email)

06-18/19-2008: AOS touch

06-20-2008: EAD Approval Notice Sent (email)

06-23-2008: EAD in mail

06-23-2008: Another EAD touch (9AM), EAD IN MAIL (1PM)

07-14-2008: I-485 Card Production Ordered

07-21-2008: Green Card in mail

Timeline

fwaguy, could you please help with this?

what does happen after the EAD expires? i know it's renewable but what about a green card? when i get it, cannot i just authomatically use it as my work permit and not to file for the renewal? and if not, what they give you for the EAD renewal? another year, two...???? i'm confused because i don't really understand who'd be willing to hire me if my EAD is valid for only a year or I may even have less time because there is no guarantee that i (or anybody else) can find a job they like right away...

thank you.

masha

AOS

what does happen after the EAD expires? i know it's renewable but what about a green card? when i get it, cannot i just authomatically use it as my work permit and not to file for the renewal? and if not, what they give you for the EAD renewal? another year, two...???? i'm confused because i don't really understand who'd be willing to hire me if my EAD is valid for only a year or I may even have less time because there is no guarantee that i (or anybody else) can find a job they like right away...

thank you.

masha

I agree, that's a very good question. Some stuff can be confusing. I would guess that getting the conditional green card would allow someone to work and they wouldn't need the EAD anymore.

As far as a place of employment not wanting to hire you because you've only got a temporary card, that's worried us too. We thought maybe Glen could go to a temp agency, where it's expected that he's not hired permanently. Sometimes those jobs can turn into permanent positions, which could be ideal once the green card comes. Just a thought.

thank you.

masha

An EAD is a perfectly acceptable item according to the I-9 for employers verification. The expiration should be taken into consideration should you need to renew (generally about 100 days or so prior to the expiration of the current one) although again, just because the EAD has an expiration, employers should *not* give you a difficult time about it.

I am slightly confused at your second question though, once you hace a greencard - there is no need for an EAD.

Timeline

thank you.

masha

I agree, that's a very good question. Some stuff can be confusing. I would guess that getting the conditional green card would allow someone to work and they wouldn't need the EAD anymore.

As far as a place of employment not wanting to hire you because you've only got a temporary card, that's worried us too. We thought maybe Glen could go to a temp agency, where it's expected that he's not hired permanently. Sometimes those jobs can turn into permanent positions, which could be ideal once the green card comes. Just a thought.

I agree with LaL that our EADs are a legitimate job permit but I've had an experience once when I had my OPT - that's the EAD that can be issued to a recent graduate, a foreign student (I'm sure that some people know what it is.) So, after I'd graduated with my masters I had an EAD for one year but was denied an employment at least twice because the HR people of the colleges I was interviewed with wouldn't file a work visa for me if I started there with my soon-to-expire EAD; in few months I'd need a work visa. There were some jobs which I wasn't qualified for but those two colleges didn't make me an offere only because of my EAD limitations. It's different now and I'm not in a terrible rush to find a job but I'm sure that I'll be asked about it at the interviews and I just want to know what I'd say. (What's funny is that later I found some document online - actually, some of the immigration application forms, I guess it may have been HB-1 visa form - that contained a statement that the employee cannot denie you an employment on a base of the EAD is soon to be expired.)

That's why I thouth why would I need to renew my EAD if I have a green card in hand? I guess I just have to research more.

Edited by mariapoe

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.