New_Husband

Marrying a US Citizen on B2

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hello All,

I have been told that marrying a nonimmigrant with a B2 visa is considered fraud if your partner had intent to marry and immgrate. However, this is such a big grey area because how do you determine "intent?" In my case, I went to go see my fiance in her country, and then a few days later, came back together to the US and got married a week later in the US. Several lawyers told me becuase we didn't wait 3 months after my partner entered the US to get married, that we can't file for AOS I-485. However, I have a family friend who is an IO, and that IO told me for US Citizens, they'll let it pass. One lawyer told me from all his previous experience, we have a 90 - 95% success rate if my wife filed for I-485. I was also told that if the case gets denied, that I have the right to appeal. If I appeal, I have basically a 100% chance of winning because it is said that "intent to immigrate" alone cannot deport or deny a wife of a US citizen (very interesting). An appeal case would generally cost $2,000, which isn't too bad considering a plane ticket costs $2,000 these days.

Has anyone gone through what I am going through now?? What was the result, and consequence if you were denied?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

From what I've seen it would be best for you to do a spouse visa and forget about trying to adjust status.

If it were that easy everyone would be doing it!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Not sure how it works, I can't tell you yay or nay personally. But there are a few people that do it and get through, it depends on how much risk you're willing to take. The sure fire way to do it is to go through the K1 visa (or K3 now that you're married).

Edited by Heliosphan

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Timeline

You can take care of this at the Notice of Intent to Deny stage - since they should tell you about this before denying it. A good attorney should be able to get it through, no matter what.

If you are here and want to stay here - just do it.

They could just as easily claim fraud at the Consulate and refuse to let you return - I have seen that happen and getting it cleared up with a consulate is not pretty. CIS sucks, but Consulates suck more.

I am not a lawyer. I am familiar with the immigration process, but any questions I answer are not advice or represented as being true for your situation in any form or manner. I am not liable if you read what I have written and act upon it. Do your own research, ask an attorney for assistance, and make up your own mind. Nevertheless, I may attempt to answer questions from time to time to give you an idea of what to search for in finding out your answer.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Of course you can do it and file for AOS, AP & EAD.BUt thing is whether the intent was to marry when entered.This is obviously true .But its always true on how you show it to be.The reasoning is based on a thinline.So my hubby and me met online....he came here after a year on a B1/B2 visa to visit me and to visit some fairs here.2ndtime he came to publish my book & attend some fairs ................we were originally getting ready for K1 but then we decided we cannot stay away any more and thus decided to marry and file a AOS, when a friend informed us of the process of applying styaing here.

Thus as the intention matters you have to show whats the truth of the story with some evidences that there was intention of returning home and this happened suddenly and not with any prior intention.Also they need to see how you have have intermingled ur lives together.

I am saying all these from my knowledge of research .We wd soon be applying for AOS.Thr are more knowledgable senior members here who can help u more with their advices.

Take Care :)

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

U shd ideally ask some very senior members here (e.g. Pushbrk, Carlawarla, athenany etc ) to advice at ur post !!

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Hello All,

I have been told that marrying a nonimmigrant with a B2 visa is considered fraud if your partner had intent to marry and immgrate. However, this is such a big grey area because how do you determine "intent?" In my case, I went to go see my fiance in her country, and then a few days later, came back together to the US and got married a week later in the US. Several lawyers told me becuase we didn't wait 3 months after my partner entered the US to get married, that we can't file for AOS I-485. However, I have a family friend who is an IO, and that IO told me for US Citizens, they'll let it pass. One lawyer told me from all his previous experience, we have a 90 - 95% success rate if my wife filed for I-485. I was also told that if the case gets denied, that I have the right to appeal. If I appeal, I have basically a 100% chance of winning because it is said that "intent to immigrate" alone cannot deport or deny a wife of a US citizen (very interesting). An appeal case would generally cost $2,000, which isn't too bad considering a plane ticket costs $2,000 these days.

Has anyone gone through what I am going through now?? What was the result, and consequence if you were denied?

Thank you.

My understanding of this visitor----> adjustee process is you do not have a right to appeal. The 3 month rule is garbage as well. Sounds like several of the lawyers you contacted are mistaken on a few things.

What was your reason for your fiancee's (at the time) entrance to the US?

Hello All,

Thank you.

This is what the "intent" is all about. What was your intention when you both arrived here from your fiances country? To have her visit for awhile and then return to her own country and then apply for a visa? When you both entered the US, was it to get married and have her adjust while she was here?

I've heard mention from a few people about the 60 day wait, or something in that regard, however I've never seen anything written on this issue. What was your reason for marrying so quickly once you came back to the US? That might be what they question. Does your fiance have ties to her home country? Was she still working? Did she have a residence? Was she expected back? If she left many loose ends in her home country, I would suspect that this will bode well for you as in not looking like this was planned and more spur of the moment.

It's never a problem to get married during a visit, the question is, did you get married during a visit in an attempt to circumvet the K visa immigration process. If you're at all unsure she can always return to her country and apply for a CR1 or K3 visa for married couples. This will however mean that you'll be apart during the process.

What they're going to be looking for, is evidence that you had "intent" to have her stay in the US after marriage. Look at the above and see what evidence you have to the contrary when making a decision to apply for AOS. Then, if you think you do have evidence, then apply. Forget about the "3 month" information, and get that paperwork together.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There are a number of options available. It is not illegal to enter the US with the intent to marry. It is illegal to enter the US with the intent to marry and remain. That is where the crux of this matter lies. While you intended to marry when you came back it doesn't seem that the intent was to evade immigration processes, rather it was lack of awareness of the immigration process until after the fact. The 3 month rule isn't hard and fast - it just indicates a greater likelihood of no intent upon entry of marriage. You may be able to make an argument that there was no intent to commit visa fraud, (although USCIS may also state that ignorance of the law is no excuse). It isn't an excuse, but it is a reason that you might be able to use.

You can choose to have the non-US spouse leave the country and have the US spouse file for either an CR-1 or a K-3 visa which would be processed outside of the country in the non-US spouse's homeland. That would be the obvious legal way.

You could file for the AOS while your wife is here in the US and take the risk that at an interview they may indeed decide that your wife entered the US with the intent to marry and stay at the time. The lawyer is right in that there are a great many individuals who enter on a visitor's visa, get married and adjust successfully. I am not sure that the lawyer is correct about the right to appeal. I believe, although I may be wrong, that a denial for an adjustment from a visitor status cannot be appealed, that the individual must leave the country and pursue a spousal visa. Someone else here may be more aware of the regulations. That being said, I do know of cases personally where someone entered the US, got married within the week and adjusted successfully. It would be interesting to check into the legislation itself to see what exactly is written about adjusting status from a visitor's visa with intent. The information from your friend who is an IO is certainly relevant.

Regardless of what you do, don't lie to immigration authorities - the repercussions for that are much, much greater than getting the AOS initially denied.

Good luck, and in the meantime I will see if I can track down anything more specific about your statement: "it is said that "intent to immigrate" alone cannot deport or deny a wife of a US citizen (very interesting)."

Hopefully, someone else with a little more knowledge about this type of situation will respond.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello All,

Thank you.

Your success or failure will hinge on the facts. Spur of the moment marriages tend to succeed. Intent at entry is the devil's detail.

I've heard of attorney's and others referring to some unspoken "60 day rule" but never a 90 day rule. Of course, there is no such rule in the law. There may be some rule of thumb used internally, to not challenge the case on immigration intent at US entry when sixty days passes between entry and marriage.

It's against VJ terms of service for members to encourage any illegal activity or visa fraud. If your spouse came to the US with the intent to marry and adjust status based on that marriage, then they would be well advised to leave the USA before their I-94 expires. Go through the appropriate spouse visa and immigration process.

This group doesn't exist to help people get away with circumventing US immigration law.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You need to give us a bit more information.

What was the reason why you came back to the US, and what made you decide to get married so quickly?

If you both came without the intent to get married and have her stay in the US and apply for AOS, then you should apply.

If you did it to skip the other part of the process that might be more difficult.

The IO rarely raise the issue at interviews, but in case it is good to have some proof of ties back to your home country (as mentioned in previous answers)

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Since she has a B2 and she can visit the US. I wouldn't take a chance on adjusting status. I'd go ahead and go for a CR-1.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My wife and I got married in the US while she was visiting on a B2 visa. We decided not to wait, went to Vegas and got married. Afterwards, we filed the AOS and she is an LPR now.

As long as you are able prove that the non-US citizen did not enter the US with the intent to stay permanantly, you are within the law.

I-485 (Adjustment of Status)

09-03-05: Package mailed to Chicago (I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131)

09-05-05: (Day 000) Package received in Chicago

09-09-05: (Day 004) NOA1

10-22-05: (Day 047) AOS/EAD Biometrics Done

11-15-05: (Day 073) EAD Arrived

11-17-05: (Day 075) AP Arrived

12-07-05: (Day 094) AOS Interview Letter Arrives

01-25-06: (Day 143) AOS Approved!!!

02-02-06: (Day 151) Welcome to America Letter Arrives

02-06-06: (Day 155) Green Card Arrived!!!

I-751 (Removal of conditions)

10-29-07: Package Sent

10-31-07: (Day 000) Package Received at VSC

11-02-07: (Day 002) NOA1

12-20-07: (Day 050) Biometrics

09-03-08: (Day 308) Touched

09-09-08: (Day 314) I-751 Approved!!!

N-400 (Naturalization)

10-20-11: Package Sent

10-21-11: (Day 000) Package received in Phoenix

10-26-11: (Day 005) Check Cashed

10-28-11: (Day 007) NOA1

11-05-11: (Day 015) Biometrics Letter Arrives - Appointment on 11/15/11

11-10-11: (Day 020) Biometrics Completed

01-23-12: (Day 094) Interview Date

03-19-12: (Day 150) Oath Scheduled Notice

03-30-12: (Day 161) Oath Ceremony

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif - Terry 3dflagsdotcom_mexic_2fawm.gif - Blanca

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Our situation with the B-2 and Adjustment of Status is a bit different.

My husband came in on a B-2 visa but we were already married when he came in the US. The intent was for him to help me and my daughter pack up and move out to Australia. BUT....then the ex husband popped back up and threw a monkey wrench into things. Even though I have full custody we had to go through the rigamarrow to show that it was okay that I move with her. That however ate up the savings, affected me getting rid of the house because that was just as the real estate market crashed and so we ended up having to stay.

We filed the I-130 and I-485 and now were just doing the waiting game.

But since they knew he was already married when they let him in we figure we should be okay. We also didn't make the final decision to file until about a month before his B-2 expired and filed it just under 2 weeks before it did.

I-130

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

Marriage : 2007-05-15

I-130 Sent : 2008-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-05-05

US Entry : 2007-11-13

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Port of Entry : Los Angeles

POE Date : 2007-11-13

Adjustment of Status:

CIS Office : Chula Vista CA

Date Filed : 2008-04-28

NOA Date : 2008-05-05

Bio. Appt. : 2008-05-22

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Employment Authorization Document:

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2008-04-28

NOA Date : 2008-05-05

Bio. Appt. : 2008-05-22

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

2008-07-03 EAD Card Production Ordered

Touched 7/4/08

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Our situation with the B-2 and Adjustment of Status is a bit different.

My husband came in on a B-2 visa but we were already married when he came in the US. The intent was for him to help me and my daughter pack up and move out to Australia. BUT....then the ex husband popped back up and threw a monkey wrench into things. Even though I have full custody we had to go through the rigamarrow to show that it was okay that I move with her. That however ate up the savings, affected me getting rid of the house because that was just as the real estate market crashed and so we ended up having to stay.

We filed the I-130 and I-485 and now were just doing the waiting game.

But since they knew he was already married when they let him in we figure we should be okay. We also didn't make the final decision to file until about a month before his B-2 expired and filed it just under 2 weeks before it did.

Your case sounds like no problem but I hope you are referring to the expiration of his I-94, not his visa. One could have a visa that doesn't expire for ten year, while only having the I-94 grant a 90 day stay in the US.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.