• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Cat_Helmet.jpg

I think the cat with the lime on its head should have won. :star:

Personally, I kinda do not like how made the headscarf or hijeb into a beauty contest. Isn't that totally oppose of its purpose?I just wonder how the parents validated their daughters entering into these contests? Seems kinda odd, in France Muslims are getting hymenoplasty from fear of their parents and in Danemark they are entering beauty contests! :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Cat_Helmet.jpg

I think the cat with the lime on its head should have won. :star:

Personally, I kinda do not like how made the headscarf or hijeb into a beauty contest. Isn't that totally oppose of its purpose?I just wonder how the parents validated their daughters entering into these contests? Seems kinda odd, in France Muslims are getting hymenoplasty from fear of their parents and in Danemark they are entering beauty contests! :wacko:

I agree :)

Also, yes, I did think the purpose of hijab was modesty and the purpose of a beauty contest somewhat conflicts with that as it's showing yourself off.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Don't get me wrong ... I like the stylish hijebs with patterns ... but not sure if I would want my daughter entering into a beauty contest ... hijebi or otherwise 'regular' one either.

That was some of the criticism by one or more Islamic societies in Denmark- that the women were being seen as objects in such a contest.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline
Don't get me wrong ... I like the stylish hijebs with patterns ... but not sure if I would want my daughter entering into a beauty contest ... hijebi or otherwise 'regular' one either.

That was some of the criticism by one or more Islamic societies in Denmark- that the women were being seen as objects in such a contest.

I do not (personally) think too much of Islamic societies' criticism as most of the time they are lead by macho-men Cheikh whoever or other sitting comfortably in KSA on a golden oil throne. Sorry! I would be more interested in examing the women (Muslims) in Europe and elsewhere ... who either on one extreme ... still live in the former country 'women are worthless' shadows then the other extreme ... women who think this is how to deal with Islamophobia.

If this was just a fashion show ... then I would not have a problem but when the 'contest' part comes into play ... then my eyebrows got raised.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't mind the contest but I could swear I saw one girl with a sleeveless dress to her knees with no headscarf on so that's why I was wondering if it really was a hijab contest. Maybe I clicked on the wrong link or something but I cant reclick till this afternoon.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

I don't mind the contest but I could swear I saw one girl with a sleeveless dress to her knees with no headscarf on so that's why I was wondering if it really was a hijab contest. Maybe I clicked on the wrong link or something but I cant reclick till this afternoon.

You didn;t click the wrong link. Here is an example of the type of pic you are thinking you saw.

maria.jpg

It is called a head scarf contest. It comes about in the wake of the outrage of the publication of those Danish political cartoons in 2006 which were so controversial. I know many of these women failed to meet the standards of hijab held by many Muslims, but I think that is part of the point. What does the head scarf mean? Who wears it? There are many interpretations and rationales behind choosing to put a scarf on your head. And I like that this could open up some dialogue.

Remember to enter you just took a photo and uploaded it to the site. Who is to say these are all Muslim women? Some might have been lookig for fame.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

whoops my bad...i was talking about this one (finally figured out how to capture it)

oleydis.jpg

but when it was smaller it looked like she wasn't wearing a headscarf which was the cause for my confusion.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

If that was a Muslim woman, then I am a man! If I saw that woman in the street, she wouldn't bother me... but when included in this type of contest .... Hmm As you say, probably looking or fame!

Muslims are not the only ones who wear headscarfs. Jews, nuns, Amish Mennonites, Russian Orthodox and are included in many national dress. . And until just recently wasn't the headscarf/cover normal part of the women's dress? But what do all of these have in common? Modesty!Not to mention cancer patients, medical staff and food service workers.

I would be interested to hear from any Christians or Jews (or others) who veil here ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
If that was a Muslim woman, then I am a man! If I saw that woman in the street, she wouldn't bother me... but when included in this type of contest .... Hmm As you say, probably looking or fame!

Muslims are not the only ones who wear headscarfs. Jews, nuns, Amish Mennonites, Russian Orthodox and are included in many national dress. . And until just recently wasn't the headscarf/cover normal part of the women's dress? But what do all of these have in common? Modesty!Not to mention cancer patients, medical staff and food service workers.

I would be interested to hear from any Christians or Jews (or others) who veil here ...

Julianna wears head scarves........ :)

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Thanks henia for helping me make my point more clear. I was trying to say that if the motive behind this contest was to raise the point that looking at a head scarf may not be what we think it means. Lots of reasons to wear it, lots of cultures and religious groups wear it. I hope the intent behind this contest was to challenge the ignorant stereotype some westerners have towrds Muslim women- whether they see it as a sign of oppression or terrorism or any where in between.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline

She had a small scarf wrapped around the top part of her hair I think :lol:

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Timeline

Julianna wears head scarves........ :)

Julianna, would love to hear your thoughts? ( I donnow your religion ... but I guess it does not matter really)

(Oops, I should wrote the question: Any non-Muslims who veil here care to comment?)

But really back to my point ... when we think of the word: headscarf what comes to mind first? Muslims, Islam, women right? Even thou, as I said many other groups veil (including men)

Interesting enough, but slightly off topic, Toureg men veil their faces while the women donnot.

And also another thought ... this Falah girl, how does she except to remove barriers btwn her and other Danes? Other then now she will be recognized on the street? As someone already said motive seems to be fame here.

Also, this was sponsored by Danes right? Why? Didn't they want to ban headscarves and other religious symbols?All this just seems like propoganda .. just as ignorant as on Women's Day a group of people dressed up statues in Islamic garb in Budapest.

For me personally, I do need some beauty contest to prove that what is done in my religion (or any other practices in any religion/culture) is acceptable and valid. To each their own. I mean, truly does peice of cloth really bother anyone ... to the point that a professor could not each a class, or goverments run? Dare I say NO! Dress has alot to do with culture. Example; we cannot force Indian women to get rid of their Saris and begin to wear Levi's; I daresay.

And for me, that I am sooooo railed up since that would be pointless but this beauty contest is just another lame validation, not for non-Muslims or non-headcovered people to except 'veiling' ... but for the people actually covering. Thatis suddenly 'cool' ... Not the point at all I think.

Final personal note: Pre and Post Islam ... I always thought it was 'cool' to be modest. And not have my sh*t hang out. Classy ladies usually get the respect.

Edited by Henia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.