mrsmarx

Citizenship

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I came to america with my husband on April 22, 2006, We got married here in 90 days prior to our arrival for adjustment of status, and I got my greencard on June 12, 2006, I been in America for over 2 years now and last May 21 this year we filed the I-751 form to remove the conditions of my greencard and just a few weeks ago I received a nottification for my interview and biotmertric date which it will be this month, but our marriage is not gonna work anymore, We have no child, just a lot of differences between us, and we try to fix our differences but it cannot be fix, My problem is after my interview for removing the conditions of my greencard and we get divorce do i still have a chance to become a US citizen? Can I apply the N-400 or Naturalization without my husband presence? Or Do I really need to wait until I become a US Citizen and divorce? If we divorce after the interview for lifting the conditions of my greencards it will affect me to become a US Citizen? Are they going to deported me? Do I need to go back to my home country after the interview in removing the conditions, and if they approve I-751 and they give me the 10 years LPR it takes me 5 years to be a citizen right? What is the requirements to submit the N-400? Is their another interview for that? What name can I use my married or my single name? Can I submit it by myself wihtout his presence or his name on it? and I got sacred also because he said if the I-751 got approved and we divorce and have my 10 years greencard he can call the immigration office and the immigration will pick me up back to my country. Can he do that or he is just saying it? and after we divorce and have my 10 years LPR and as time go on and you meet someone new a US citizen, will it affect me to be a US citizen if I re-marry again and marry the other US citizen not the one who petition me. Thanks.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Hi, I came to america with my husband on April 22, 2006, We got married here in 90 days prior to our arrival for adjustment of status, and I got my greencard on June 12, 2006, I been in America for over 2 years now and last May 21 this year we filed the I-751 form to remove the conditions of my greencard and just a few weeks ago I received a nottification for my interview and biotmertric date which it will be this month, but our marriage is not gonna work anymore, We have no child, just a lot of differences between us, and we try to fix our differences but it cannot be fix, My problem is after my interview for removing the conditions of my greencard and we get divorce do i still have a chance to become a US citizen? Can I apply the N-400 or Naturalization without my husband presence? Or Do I really need to wait until I become a US Citizen and divorce? If we divorce after the interview for lifting the conditions of my greencards it will affect me to become a US Citizen? Are they going to deported me? Do I need to go back to my home country after the interview in removing the conditions, and if they approve I-751 and they give me the 10 years LPR it takes me 5 years to be a citizen right? What is the requirements to submit the N-400? Is their another interview for that? What name can I use my married or my single name? Can I submit it by myself wihtout his presence or his name on it? and I got sacred also because he said if the I-751 got approved and we divorce and have my 10 years greencard he can call the immigration office and the immigration will pick me up back to my country. Can he do that or he is just saying it? and after we divorce and have my 10 years LPR and as time go on and you meet someone new a US citizen, will it affect me to be a US citizen if I re-marry again and marry the other US citizen not the one who petition me. Thanks.

OK, first things first, did you get a letter for an interview or just biometrics? There are traditionally two different papers you'll receive - the NOA 1 which will extend your greencard for a year, and your biometrics letter. For now, you two should stay married until your 10-year card is sent to you. Following that, you can divorce. Just wait things out...once you have your card you are here to stay. :)

Now, on to applying for citizensip, you will be eligible to apply 90 days before June 12, 2011. By that time you all will be divorced and you will no longer have a citizenship application based on marriage, which requires three years and an residency based application is 5 years.

Do you now have a new USC who wants to marry you? You will still have to wait until 2011 to apply, as your N-400 would be based on who originally petioned you for marriage.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.