UmmSqueakster

The complexity of the muslim world

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
A leader who could unite the millions of Muslims is as unlikely

If Osama Bin Laden can unite thousands of extremist muslims preaching unimaginable hatred, then why is it unreasonable to assume that someone could unite millions muslims in the call for peace?

we are too fragmented a group - too many sub-sects, too divided. shia's, sunni's - and amongst those two major divisions, there are further divisions. the sunni's have varying schools of thought - although not conflicting. there are agha khanis, ismailis (same i think), deobandis, sufis (that are further divided into different tareeka's), shias have the sistani shias, then shias that are jafri, and then some other shias......i mean i could go one forever and ever and ever about the different sects of muslims. there are political parties, missionaries...everyone has a different agenda.

how you anyone believe that 1+ billion muslims can somehow be on the same page?

In the major religions, slavery was accepted and condoned for a very long time. Eventually we all got on the same page and decided slavery was bad and removed it from our societies EVEN THO every major religous script (bible, koran, etc.) condoned slavery.

Its about time we all got on the same page about things like cartoon carictures and revenge killings, don't you think ??

isn't comparing cartoon carictures to slavery like comparing apples to birds?

Timeline

3/09/07 - Mailed out I-751 to TSC - expiration date is 03/13/07 - Cutting it close!

3/12/07 - USPS confirms delivery

3/13/07 - Check clears bank

3/21/07 - Reciept for BioMetrics Fee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

:hehe:

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

:hehe:

:o:o:o

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They wouldn't. But Israel will bomb Iran's nuclear facilities no later than March or April 2006, so it's not really up to them.

u really think?

It's now or never. It will be very difficult to do afterwards, once Iran gets hold of Russian surface-to-air missiles.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I found this interesting opinion article written in The Guardian. It really struck a chord with me and how I see things. I'll post the link and give y'all a quote too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoonprotests/...1703496,00.html

"We are at a crossroads. The time has come for women and men who reject this dangerous division of people into two worlds to start building bridges based on common values. They must assert the inalienable right to freedom of expression and, at the same time, demand measured exercise of it. We need to promote an open, self-critical approach, to repudiate exclusive truths and narrow-minded, binary visions of the world.

We are in dire need of mutual trust. The crises provoked by these cartoons shows us how, out of "seemingly nothing", two universes of reference can become deaf to each other and be seduced by defining themselves against each other - with the worst possible consequences. Disasters threaten that extremists on both sides would not fail to use for their own agendas. If people who cherish freedom, who know the importance of mutual respect and are aware of the imperative necessity to establish a constructive and critical debate, if these people are not ready to speak out, to be more committed and visible, then we can expect sad, painful tomorrows. The choice is ours."

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
I found this interesting opinion article written in The Guardian. It really struck a chord with me and how I see things. I'll post the link and give y'all a quote too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoonprotests/...1703496,00.html

"We are at a crossroads. The time has come for women and men who reject this dangerous division of people into two worlds to start building bridges based on common values. They must assert the inalienable right to freedom of expression and, at the same time, demand measured exercise of it. We need to promote an open, self-critical approach, to repudiate exclusive truths and narrow-minded, binary visions of the world.

We are in dire need of mutual trust. The crises provoked by these cartoons shows us how, out of "seemingly nothing", two universes of reference can become deaf to each other and be seduced by defining themselves against each other - with the worst possible consequences. Disasters threaten that extremists on both sides would not fail to use for their own agendas. If people who cherish freedom, who know the importance of mutual respect and are aware of the imperative necessity to establish a constructive and critical debate, if these people are not ready to speak out, to be more committed and visible, then we can expect sad, painful tomorrows. The choice is ours."

Now that's the truth!

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
... it is imperialist and insulting to assume that it is the job of the west to bring other nations freedom. Same goes for women's right. Talk to some feminists from the Middle East and they would prefer to liberate themselves.

Culture wars don't work and noone will win. The great plan to bring democracy and freedom to the Middle East currently looks like it's doing the exact opposite, namely win over the masses to fanaticism which causes more oppression and less freedom.

I agree with that. We can't force our (relatively) open society model on other cultures. Ain't gonna fly. They'll have to find their own voices and ways. What we can and (imho) need to do is stand up to their radical elements on our soil and leve the standing up to the fanatics on their soil to them. We ought not to tolerate or excuse in any way, shape or form the radical haters that run around terrorizing our streets or trying to tell us how to live our lives - or rather trying to scare us into submission. We ought to stand firm and defend our ways of life here and let them find theirs there...

Sadly it seems we haven't learned a whole lot in the last 100-150 years. The British and the French (back when they had their little experiment with empire) went into Asia and Africa with the apparently 'high ideal' of civilising the savages. Fast forward to today - and many of those places are still languishing in the grip of 3rd world poverty, and are mostly ruled over by despotic tyrants or religious theocracies. Great 'help' we were there.

Look at the former Yugoslavia - we forced all those divergent people's to live together until sectarian tensions boiled over into genocide. Most of the worst atrocities of the last century have their roots in European imperialism. We forget for instance, that the Rwandan genocide was actually largely due to the French influence back in the 18th - 19th century.

I hope that doesn't happen in Iraq, but from a historical perspective the odds are not good.