Captain Ewok

Will Love Overcome Immigration Hurdles?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
Will Love Overcome Immigration Hurdles?

May 5, 2006

HANNA INGBER

My sister has brought a date to Passover every year for as long as I can remember. This year, once again, I went alone. My fiance is not allowed into the country.

He is from Rangoon, Burma, where we met. Aung Moe is now living in Thailand, working as a graphic designer. Last October, we got engaged. We were eating dinner at Riverside, a candle-lit restaurant with palm trees and outdoor tables a few feet from the Ping River in northern Thailand.

Probably like most newly engaged people, the images of our future together started flooding my brain: raising children, decorating a home, growing old as we traveled the world, him taking photographs, me writing stories. I imagined Aung Moe coming to America and finally seeing the New York skyline. I can't look at the skyline without thinking of him, without waiting, hoping for the day he sees it too.

One day he'll be with me in New York, close to my family and friends, available for Passover Seders and summer barbeques.

Or so I hope. With immigration policies becoming stricter, you never know. He was refused entry into America before. After I spent a year in Burma, working for a newspaper and falling for Aung Moe, he wanted to visit my family in New York. He applied for a tourist visa, but the U.S. Embassy denied him. They said he failed to prove he was not intending to immigrate to this land of opportunities. Now, two years later, we're ready to get married. This time Aung Moe wants to immigrate. But will they let him?

continued...

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I hope so, but they sure put up a lot of hurdles! :(

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

awwwwwwww nice story. It pretty much typifies everyone going through this process... a bit tougher consulate than Craig and I had to deal with to be sure!!..but a typical process. I certainly hope they make it...soon. :) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

They should do a news story on the months and months or AR some people have to put up with!

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

I can really identify with this story. My fiancee and I have been in AR for three years.

It's really tough when you want to share all that is special about where you live and the people around you, yet you can't because of your own government. I watch other couples growing, having children, building lives. Ours has been delayed for years. Each holiday becomes a description of who was there, what happened, instead of an experience together.

I hope the couple in the article has better luck with the immigration process. Everyone deserves the chance to see their dreams come true.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

awwwwwwwww wait4ever..I'm SO sorry to hear that..I'm afraid I only go to about 1/2 the forums on this site, as our process is nearly over AND I can only confidently help those who have traveled the same path that Craig & I had to take. I find this makes me rather unaware of cases such as yours sometimes, and I forget how blessed we were to have had such an easy time of things, relatively speaking. I hope and pray you are off AR soon, and you can be reunited...your love must be soooo strong, to be able to withstand such delays. Your tolerance is truly amazing, and I'm sorry things have to be this way for you. All the very best for your AR to end as quickly as possible. (F) (F) (F) M.

edited because I'm 1/2 asleep! :)

Edited by MichelleandCraig

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

I can really identify with this story. My fiancee and I have been in AR for three years.

It's really tough when you want to share all that is special about where you live and the people around you, yet you can't because of your own government. I watch other couples growing, having children, building lives. Ours has been delayed for years. Each holiday becomes a description of who was there, what happened, instead of an experience together.

I hope the couple in the article has better luck with the immigration process. Everyone deserves the chance to see their dreams come true.

wait4ever

Have you thought of looking into filing a Writ of Mandamus

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.