viktoria

Is it safe to send bank accounts # to USCIS

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I am getting ready all the paperwork to send to the immigrations. They want leases, mortgages, bank accounts, I also have beneficiaries, unsurances, taxes. Should I send all that? I apply based on our almost 4 marriage.

Is it safe to send bank accounts statements, since the bank account numbers are shown on the statements. Also is it safe to send the whole mortgage contract or just 1st page. I am getting ready to send everything but not sure. Do I ned to block the account numbers or any other info like that. You never know the emploee there, Sounds silly , I know but better be silly now than sorry later.

Please advise, what did you do?

Thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I would black out the account numbers if I sent my statements in. They don't need to know your account number. I just sent a letter from my bank stating that I have accounts there, the type of account, the date they were opened, and their balances--that's all. Not only do you not trust government officials, but anyone else who may intercept your mail or lose it along the way!

Edited by sydkym

I-130 (almost 5 months)

12/04/2007 I-130 sent

05/01/2008 I-130 NOA2 (approval) from CSC!

I-129f

02/06/2008 I-129f sent

05/30/2008 I-129f NOA2 (approval)--too late!

NVC (changed from K-3 to CR-1) (31 days)

05/06/2008 case received and case # assigned

05/12/2008 DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

05/13/2008 DS-3032 sent (by e-mail)

05/13/2008 AOS bill invoiced (paid online)

05/14/2008 AOS bill PAID and cover sheet printed

05/16/2008 AOS package sent to NVC (FedEx from Peru)

05/19/2008 AOS package received by NVC (9:30 AM)

05/20/2008 DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted (confirmation by e-mail)

05/20/2008 AOS entered into NVC system

05/21/2008 NVC recording says I have info missing (false RFE confirmed by NVC operator!)

05/24/2008 IV bill invoiced (paid online)--bad timing-Memorial Day weekend!

05/28/2008 IV bill PAID and cover sheet printed

05/28/2008 DS-230 sent to NVC (FedEx from Peru)--received DS3032 via snail mail!

05/30/2008 DS-230 received by NVC (9:40 AM)

06/02/2008 DS-230 entered into NVC system

06/06/2008 case complete at NVC!

06/12/2008 sent to embassy in Lima, Peru!

06/16/2008 papers arrived at Embassy

06/18/2008 received interview packet (in US)

07/02/2008 medical exam

07/11/2008 Interview in Lima, Peru!

08/20/2008 POE Atlanta, then fly to Seattle

09/05/2008 Received Welcome Letter

10/20/2008 1st wedding anniversary!

10/20/2009 2nd anniversary!

02/06/2010 Daughter born!

It doesn't sound silly at all to not want to send all of that personal information in. I figure they have so much already, that it is really dangerous to send anything in the line of sensitive information unless they absolutely require or need it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Probably not a bad idea to block it out. But keep in mind when you send USCIS your payment, if you choose a person check, it has your account number at the bottom anyway. The check does get processed quicker and sent back to the bank (or you if you still get your canceled checks in your statements).

Timeline
Probably not a bad idea to block it out. But keep in mind when you send USCIS your payment, if you choose a person check, it has your account number at the bottom anyway. The check does get processed quicker and sent back to the bank (or you if you still get your canceled checks in your statements).

That`s a good point.

By the way I just called USCIS and of course the person on the phone said that if I block it out they have the right to request more information or do further checking, why decided to block it out. I told him I don`t feel safe sending such of information. He said: You can always mail it with return recipt and the other recipts they have in the post office to be safer. Well my point was ones it arrives there and travelling till there, so it sounded like they are safe worry about the post office. And if you block it out they will consider this I am hiding something. :innocent:

That`s a good point.

By the way I just called USCIS and of course the person on the phone said that if I block it out they have the right to request more information or do further checking, why decided to block it out. I told him I don`t feel safe sending such of information. He said: You can always mail it with return recipt and the other recipts they have in the post office to be safer. Well my point was ones it arrives there and travelling till there, so it sounded like they are safe worry about the post office. And if you block it out they will consider this I am hiding something. :innocent:

I always blocked all bank account / IRA accounts / Savings / Beneficiaries account numbers from anything I have ever sent to USCIS and I never had a problem due to this. My suggestion is that you do block the account numbers. There is no need for them to have that information.

Permanent Residence Card Timeline

09.14.04: Conditional PR granted

06.14.06: I-751 sent

07.07.06: NOA extending GC for a year

07.24.07: Biometrics Appt

09.10.07: Called 1-800 to inquire about Status

09.14.07: Conditional GC expired :(

09.24.07: Received Letter dated 09.19.07 -->Case pending Officer review

10.15.07: Another useless call to 1-800 line

11.13.07: Infopass Appt to inquire about I-751 status - Letter to Ombudsman sent.

12.08.07: Letter from Ombudsman received. Formal inquiry initiated. I should hear back from USCIS within 45 days.

01.05.08: Response from USCIS received: Required Review still in process. Contacted Congresswoman office.

Approved per Congresswoman's office response given in March 08.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Citizenship Timeline

11.05.07: N-400 Submitted

11.08.07: N-400 Application Received

11.14.07: N-400 Application Check Cashed!!

12.03.07: NOA Receipt Received - Priority Date:11/08/07

12.08.07: NOA 2 --> Fingerprint Notification Received. Scheduled date is 12.31.07

01.12.08: NOA 3 --> Interview Appt Letter. Interview date is 03.04 at 9:40AM

03.04.08: Interview done. I should hear from them soon.

04.07.08: Oath Ceremony Letter Received!!!

05.02.08: Oath Ceremony completed. I am now an American Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I only sent my bank and credit card info (never blacked out or anything) to USCIS - once for my citizenship; once for my fiance's K1, once for my wife's AOS, and once for my wife's Removal of condition .. ah yes ... and once more when she files for citizenship. It all depends on your level of paranoia or your level of caution whichever way you look at it. You can do what makes you comfortable - I like to highlight both the names and the account numbers on statements etc. establishing joint ownership but it may not be necessary. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline

I feel this question deals more with knowing your bank and credit card company. Convenience is the name of the game today with automatic payments from your checking account or credit card. Screw you is my response, you send me the bill, if it's right I will pay it, that is like giving a license to these companies to steal from your account. With may CD's and savings accounts, my banker knows me personally, and the only way to take money out of those accounts is for me or my wife to go in personally.

Dealing with the government is the worse, for a fishing license paid by credit card, the vendor has your CC number, the three digit code on the back, your name and address, your SS number, and even your DL number. Screw that noise, will pay by cash, but still had to give my SS number, least he doesn't have my CC number. But here is another point, contact your CC company with strict instructions to only approve purchases where the billing and shipping address are the same. The IRS also wants your SS number printed on the check, write your congressman on this.

If you pay by personal check, already giving away a ton of private information, your bank account, routing number, name and address, plus any required proof of your identity. I intentionally keep my checking account balance low in this respect.

Just don't go in for convenience and some of the largest ripoffs going on now are these so-called identity protection services, stealing your identity is more like it.

Filed: Timeline
I am getting ready all the paperwork to send to the immigrations. They want leases, mortgages, bank accounts, I also have beneficiaries, unsurances, taxes. Should I send all that? I apply based on our almost 4 marriage.

Is it safe to send bank accounts statements, since the bank account numbers are shown on the statements. Also is it safe to send the whole mortgage contract or just 1st page. I am getting ready to send everything but not sure. Do I ned to block the account numbers or any other info like that. You never know the emploee there, Sounds silly , I know but better be silly now than sorry later.

Thank you

why would u trust them to give them ur accounts

Timeline

Thank you

I feel more comforatble to block it out, if they have more questions, they are more than welcome

Thank you everybody

By the way please correct me if I am wrong, but the only form I should send is N-400 and of course resident card , 2 pictures and support documents and let`s not foregt the money order for $675 Is that correct?

Thank you again

Timeline

Thank you

I feel more comforatble to block it out, if they have more questions, they are more than welcome

Thank you everybody

By the way please correct me if I am wrong, but the only form I should send is N-400 and of course resident card , 2 pictures and support documents and let`s not foregt the money order for $675 Is that correct?

Thank you again

Different requirements for different applicants, have to refer to the M-476 per your circumstances that you can download. Were you divorced, married? applying for the three or five year? Are some differences.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.