nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
There's a difference between letting kids be kids and letting them run wild. My husband is flabugasted at how the kids are allowed to behave here. That kind of stuff would never fly at a mosque in egypt. My sheikh told us about sitting with his sheikh in Syria, and how kids as young as 4 would be sitting there, attentive, for a whole 3 hour lecture, while he was getting fidgety. If the children are taught the expectations, then they should be capable of behaving in public inshaAllah.

Wild children are an oft-blogged subject, and a common complaint, along with women not shutting up during the khutbah. I can't count the number of times I haven't been able to hear. Alhamdulilah now I have 2 good masjids where the adults knows the proper adab (manners, etiquette), which makes the whole experience that much better. The kids at one are still eh, but at least they didn't set anything on fire this year :bonk:

I'm suprised that the kids in Egypt were well behaved in the mosque since while there I noted the most misbehaving kids I have ever seen in my life while we were at a mall in Alex. I asked my husband why the parents let them run around like that and he told me there's really no where else for them to be kids. We have an abundance of parks/fields where the kids can run off their energy so that they're not as fidgety when indoor with the public and these kids don't really have that. That put things in perspective for me, but I'll have to ask him how they behave in the mosques. Quite honestly I wouldn't take my kids to a mosque if they were that young unless there was a Kid-room which was soundproof like a lot of churches have. I wouldn't get anything out of it because I'd be too busy trying to keep them quiet.

I really don't like going to the mosque so I opt to just pray at home. Our mosque was a former church and the women's area is up in the choir. It's really nice and all but the women there chit chat during the entire thing so I never really get to hear anything. I just follow their lead on when to pray since I can't hear what comes next. That's just a waste of time for me and I'd much rather be in my little makeshift prayer area where it's nice and quiet and I can concentrate.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Thank you i was feeling non muslim for complaining... but i see it isn't just me... thank you now i will shut up

We just need to be careful that our complaining doesn't cross the line into backbiting/gossip I try to ask myself am I just venting to get this off my chest, to make these women look bad behind their backs, or am I simply making generalizing statements to assess the problem and find a solution?

I've done more then my fair share of venting about poor behavior at the mosque. It's kind of a right of passage for converts, lol.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
I agree with you Rahma. When children are storming through the masjid that is not respectful. I have real issues with this. If a small child is with his mother and is crawling around her while she prays I feel this is different. Children that are older than a toddler should know how to sit and be respectful. Maybe this is old school in me but I know how my husband would deal with our son if he acted like a wild child in the mosque. My older two children have sat through church services 2.5 hours or more before and were expected to sit and behave. We brought things with us to entertain them while sitting but they still knew from early on...you are in a House of Worship and this is how you behave. If they are taught they will behave. Also, during Ramadan we had the same issue with some of the women being to chatty. Some of the older ones would hush them...then you would see them roll their eyes. LOL! Good to hear you have found a masjid you are comfortable with. I don't think it should be all stiff or anything but manners and etiquette should be respected. I am just a stickler on this.

Exactly :yes: When we were old enough to leave the nursery, my parents gave us books to read or things to color if we got bored during the service. If we had acted up, oh boy.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
I'm suprised that the kids in Egypt were well behaved in the mosque since while there I noted the most misbehaving kids I have ever seen in my life while we were at a mall in Alex. I asked my husband why the parents let them run around like that and he told me there's really no where else for them to be kids. We have an abundance of parks/fields where the kids can run off their energy so that they're not as fidgety when indoor with the public and these kids don't really have that. That put things in perspective for me, but I'll have to ask him how they behave in the mosques.

Please do. I know that my FIL taught my husband how to act in a masjid, and it's my understanding that it's common, but maybe it was just the area he's from and/or his time in Saudi Arabia?

Quite honestly I wouldn't take my kids to a mosque if they were that young unless there was a Kid-room which was soundproof like a lot of churches have. I wouldn't get anything out of it because I'd be too busy trying to keep them quiet.

I think that's a really great idea. I know of a few mosques that have that, but not many.

That's just a waste of time for me and I'd much rather be in my little makeshift prayer area where it's nice and quiet and I can concentrate.

Hey, whatever works :thumbs: Our prayer area at home is in the living room, and now we have a cat staring at us while we pray, so it's not quite nice and quiet. inshaAllah when we get a house, I have plans for a library/art gallary/prayer room.

irhal.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Can non-Muslims attend/view a mosque? My husband thinks so but I think (?????????) I read somewhere that its not allowed ...

The Story of Prince & his Angel

Our Marriage in Ariana, Tunisia - May 1, 2008

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

U.S. Embassy: Tunis, Tunisia

The Journey through VSC:

I-130: June 09, 2008 to April 03, 2009

I-129F: August 5, 2008 to April 03, 2009

The Journey through NVC:

Received by NVC: April 04, 2009

Left NVC: April 13, 2009

The Journey through the Consulate:

April 24, 2009 - May 14, 2009

May 19, 2009 Interview Day @ 11:00 am - PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 Picked up VISA

June 26, 2009 Prince flies to America, arrives to JFK - exactly 18 months from the day we met!!

The Journey through AOS:

May 05, 2010 - mailed I-485

May 11, 2010 - text message stating application received

May 13, 2010 - NOA1 for AOS

May 17, 2010 - Biometrics letter rec'd

June 10, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 03, 2010 - AOS @10:45 am - "conditional" approval pending corrected medical form by Civil Surgeon

Sept 8, 2010 - AOS Approved for 10 year Greencard!!!

Timeline

It really depends on the customs of the area. Everywhere I've been in Egypt and the US are just fine by it. There are quite a few mosques that are tourist destinations in Cairo. If it's in the US, contact their office and let them know you're interested in visiting. They may set up someone to meet you and show you around. We frequently have college classes attend our jummah (friday) prayers. I'm the unofficial greeter/question answer-er :star:

There's only a few things to remember:

*Dress modestly. Both men and women should wear loose-ish pants and long sleeve tops. Depending on the community, men may wear short sleeves, but I always think better safe than sorry. Women can bring along a scarf to throw over their hair, although it doesn't need to be tied on pretty.

*Take off your shoes where you see the big pile of shoes.

*If you're observing a prayer, when everyone gets up and starts to stand in a line, that's the time to pray. Scoot to the back and sit or stand against the wall, so you aren't in anyone's way.

Here are a few mosque FAQs that may be helpful before you visit.

irhal.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Very helpful ~ thank you so much!

It really depends on the customs of the area. Everywhere I've been in Egypt and the US are just fine by it. There are quite a few mosques that are tourist destinations in Cairo. If it's in the US, contact their office and let them know you're interested in visiting. They may set up someone to meet you and show you around. We frequently have college classes attend our jummah (friday) prayers. I'm the unofficial greeter/question answer-er :star:

*Dress modestly. Both men and women should wear loose-ish pants and long sleeve tops. Depending on the community, men may wear short sleeves, but I always think better safe than sorry. Women can bring along a scarf to throw over their hair, although it doesn't need to be tied on pretty.

*If you're observing a prayer, when everyone gets up and starts to stand in a line, that's the time to pray. Scoot to the back and sit or stand against the wall, so you aren't in anyone's way.

The Story of Prince & his Angel

Our Marriage in Ariana, Tunisia - May 1, 2008

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

U.S. Embassy: Tunis, Tunisia

The Journey through VSC:

I-130: June 09, 2008 to April 03, 2009

I-129F: August 5, 2008 to April 03, 2009

The Journey through NVC:

Received by NVC: April 04, 2009

Left NVC: April 13, 2009

The Journey through the Consulate:

April 24, 2009 - May 14, 2009

May 19, 2009 Interview Day @ 11:00 am - PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 Picked up VISA

June 26, 2009 Prince flies to America, arrives to JFK - exactly 18 months from the day we met!!

The Journey through AOS:

May 05, 2010 - mailed I-485

May 11, 2010 - text message stating application received

May 13, 2010 - NOA1 for AOS

May 17, 2010 - Biometrics letter rec'd

June 10, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 03, 2010 - AOS @10:45 am - "conditional" approval pending corrected medical form by Civil Surgeon

Sept 8, 2010 - AOS Approved for 10 year Greencard!!!

Timeline
Very helpful ~ thank you so much!

At our mosque they have services where the community is involved. They will invite local churches and community members to view their opinions on certain matters. I visited Jummah prior to converting and everybody was very welcoming. Some of the women were explaining what was going on in the service to me. Rahma has great advice!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

"right of passage" hehe i am glad i am following along. I've never been one for backbitting or gossiping that's why i said the "i'll shut up now" cause i felt dangerously close.

Alhamdoliah we have all these other ways to connect with our faith and traditions.....

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have heard that a mosque here offers Arabic classes once a week. I'm not Muslim but thinking of checking it out. Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
I have heard that a mosque here offers Arabic classes once a week. I'm not Muslim but thinking of checking it out. Does anyone have experience with this?

Ours had an Arabic class but there weren't enough attendees to keep it up. Now they offer Arabic for the Quran reading which is more advanced Arabic. I have had a hard time finding Arabic classes in my area. It seems like there aren't any anywhere, not even at the local colleges. I would like to know more of the language. I could see my son throwing a fit for something in Arabic and I have to call my husband to ask what he wants. He is already talking half and half :blink:

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Ours had an Arabic class but there weren't enough attendees to keep it up. Now they offer Arabic for the Quran reading which is more advanced Arabic. I have had a hard time finding Arabic classes in my area. It seems like there aren't any anywhere, not even at the local colleges. I would like to know more of the language. I could see my son throwing a fit for something in Arabic and I have to call my husband to ask what he wants. He is already talking half and half :blink:

Tasha, I would see if you can get the Rosetta stone series. You might be able to put it on an ipod.

This reminds me of my friends - they're Argentine and Venezuelan, but the husband's mother is from China. She only speaks Mandarin with the little girl. The little girl would ask for things in Mandarin and her mother would look at her like... :blink::unsure: . :lol: But she's super smart as she now speaks Spanish (both Argentine and Castellano), Mandarin and English - it's hilarious.

Timeline

Tasha, I would see if you can get the Rosetta stone series. You might be able to put it on an ipod.

This reminds me of my friends - they're Argentine and Venezuelan, but the husband's mother is from China. She only speaks Mandarin with the little girl. The little girl would ask for things in Mandarin and her mother would look at her like... :blink::unsure: . :lol: But she's super smart as she now speaks Spanish (both Argentine and Castellano), Mandarin and English - it's hilarious.

I thought about investing in Rosetta Stone..its just so darn expensive!!! I really need to get serious because this kid is catching on quickly to both languages. It's so funny he was calling our cat by Arabic last night. I said what is he saying honey, he said arabic for cat!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I thought about investing in Rosetta Stone..its just so darn expensive!!! I really need to get serious because this kid is catching on quickly to both languages. It's so funny he was calling our cat by Arabic last night. I said what is he saying honey, he said arabic for cat!

How cute Tasha........I envy children they learn a second language soooo easy.....LOL. I tried Pimsleur Egyptian Arabic it was good but I only tried it for the trial period because it cost so much. THen I bought some flash cards that teach you common words...English one side Arabic the other. You can find them at a book store. Maybe you can keep up with Ayman that way at least until he is older. But I have heard Rosetta Stone is soooo expensive.

Maybe we should pool our money and share a copy....LOL We can add it to our IPODs and listen everyday to it.

Ana befham Arabie Swaya.....LOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.