nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ok, seriously people, this is an absolutely fabulous opportunity that you CANNOT miss if you have the resources.

Zaytuna's Distance Learning Program is presenting Imam Zaid's Islam Marriage and Family class this semester.

A course for those wishing to deepen their understanding and implementation of a fulfilling Islamic family life. Topics covered include aspects of Islamic family law as they relate to the domestic affairs, relevant aspects of the Prophetic biography, and practical advice for newlyweds that are based on a “family-oriented” reading of The Aphorisms (Hikam) of Ibn ‘Ata-Allah as-Sakandari.

I took this class with Imam Zaid in person last May, and it was out and out fabulous. It's a must listen for any muslim couple. I'm just waiting for it to come out on CD/DVD, so that I can give it to people as wedding/anniversary present. Actually, I'm seriously considering taking this class again, just so I can download the video files and keep them on the computer for future reference.

Seriously people, don't miss this!

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

I'm registered. The course starts this Saturday. If anyone else registers, let me know and we can gather on yahoo messenger after the class. My YM is rahhmaa.

080909-FreeCourse.png

Asalaamu Alaikum

We pray that this reaches you in best of eman and well-being.

SunniPath is excited to announce the opening of a free 3-week course on Surat al-Fatiha by Shaykh Sohail Hanif. Classes start this week and spaces are limited so please do register today.

Thank you,

SunniPath Academy

About the Course:

In You and the Fatiha: The Opening to a New Experience, Shaykh Sohail Hanif will not only explain the verses of the Fatiha, but demonstrate how through this chapter, we can learn the proper manners of supplicating. The first half of the Fatiha demonstrates the importance of having hope and fear of, neediness towards, and reliance on Allah Most High. The second half of the Fatiha relates to our slavehood to Him and the need for asking for the greatest gift, namely guidance. The Fatiha also shows us how to manage interactions with Allah, with the universe, and with our fellow men.

This course will consist of both recorded and live online sessions. Live sessions will be focused on expanding the recorded lessons through drawing inferences, as well as having a chance for you to ask any questions. Material is based on notes compiled by Shaykh Ali Hani, a book on selected Qur'anic chapters by Dr Fadil al-Samurai, and Imam Ghazali's Ihya Uloom al-Deen.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Ok, seriously people, this is an absolutely fabulous opportunity that you CANNOT miss if you have the resources.

Zaytuna's Distance Learning Program is presenting Imam Zaid's Islam Marriage and Family class this semester.

A course for those wishing to deepen their understanding and implementation of a fulfilling Islamic family life. Topics covered include aspects of Islamic family law as they relate to the domestic affairs, relevant aspects of the Prophetic biography, and practical advice for newlyweds that are based on a “family-oriented” reading of The Aphorisms (Hikam) of Ibn ‘Ata-Allah as-Sakandari.

I took this class with Imam Zaid in person last May, and it was out and out fabulous. It's a must listen for any muslim couple. I'm just waiting for it to come out on CD/DVD, so that I can give it to people as wedding/anniversary present. Actually, I'm seriously considering taking this class again, just so I can download the video files and keep them on the computer for future reference.

Seriously people, don't miss this!

I sent this to my husband and we will consider taking it. I will let you know if we do!!

Timeline

Perhaps he was not well known to those outside the American Muslim community. Heck, even among american muslims, I'm not sure the immigrant generation and their children knew this man well either.

In any case, our community is poorer today, having lost one of the pioneers of American Islam. Imam WD Mohammad passed away earlier today. Inaa lillahi wa inna ilayhi rai’oon, to God we belong and to Him is our return.

Imam Mohammed is arguably one of the greatest figures in american islam. Following the death of his father, Elijah Mohammed, Imam Mohammed brought the Nation of Islam into the folds of mainstream sunni Islam. The network of mosques affiliated with the Imam are known for their commitment to the community.

I attend one such masjid. It began it's life as a Nation of Islam Temple. Many of the older members were originally in the Nation. Because of the leadership of Imam Mohammed, these masjids are now a place where all are welcome, regardless of the color of their skin. I pray alongside gang bangers, and cops, firefighters and politicians, native born americans and immigrants from all around the world. I'm a white girl from rural wisconsin, and I've never felt so at home anywhere as I do among the people of Imam Mohammed.

Please make dua for him, his family and his community tonight when you break your fast.

For more on Imam WD Mohammed, here are some good readings:

New Africa Radio

Anointed Son

This Far by Faith

The Most Important Muslim You’ve Never Heard of

Profile at Religion & Ethics

Edited by rahma

irhal.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

This is indeed a great loss. He was a very special man with great vision and wisdom who will live long in the history of the umah and in American history. If you do not know of him, do not hestiate to learn and his accomplishments. To do less leaves a huge gap in our learning of important historical figures in Islam and in America. May he rest in peace and in Allah's good graces.

Perhaps he was not well known to those outside the American Muslim community. Heck, even among american muslims, I'm not sure the immigrant generation and their children knew this man well either.

In any case, our community is poorer today, having lost one of the pioneers of American Islam. Imam WD Mohammad passed away earlier today. Inaa lillahi wa inna ilayhi rai’oon, to God we belong and to Him is our return.

Imam Mohammed is arguably one of the greatest figures in american islam. Following the death of his father, Elijah Mohammed, Imam Mohammed brought the Nation of Islam into the folds of mainstream sunni Islam. The network of mosques affiliated with the Imam are known for their commitment to the community.

I attend one such masjid. It began it's life as a Nation of Islam Temple. Many of the older members were originally in the Nation. Because of the leadership of Imam Mohammed, these masjids are now a place where all are welcome, regardless of the color of their skin. I pray alongside gang bangers, and cops, firefighters and politicians, native born americans and immigrants from all around the world. I'm a white girl from rural wisconsin, and I've never felt so at home anywhere as I do among the people of Imam Mohammed.

Please make dua for him, his family and his community tonight when you break your fast.

For more on Imam WD Mohammed, here are some good readings:

New Africa Radio

Anointed Son

This Far by Faith

The Most Important Muslim You’ve Never Heard of

Profile at Religion & Ethics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Happy 4 month Anniversary!!!! (F)

Aymsgirl.. thank you... i called my husband and said the same to him he laughed.. ok ok so it's not the 35 + yrs of his parents of the 60+ yrs of his grandparents i just thought he should know i cared.

He understood and said thank you thank you...... i miss him... but it seems to be getting easier some days. I see the light at the end of the tunnel now that we're in NVC :star::star::star:

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Perhaps someone can help answer a question for my mom, since some of you know both the Quran and the Bible well. She is a Christian and is reading a translation of the Quran by Yusuf Ali, I believe. Here is her question:

Does Islam teach that Ishmael left Abraham's campsite with Hagar? As I understand, part of the Hajj recalls Hagar's wanderings in the desert trying to find water. The Bible says Hagar and Ishmael left together and he founded a great nation, but when Abraham died, both of his sons were together to bury him.

I would love to have a book that compared all the stories in Islam with the Old Testament counterpart. I found out that Islam traces Hagar to Abraham's trip to Egypt when he had Sarah pose as his sister. What I read said the ruler gave her to Abraham at that time.

Thank you for any suggestions.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline

Salaam Rahma,

Which masjid do you attend? Sounds like a very welcoming place...

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Perhaps someone can help answer a question for my mom, since some of you know both the Quran and the Bible well. She is a Christian and is reading a translation of the Quran by Yusuf Ali, I believe. Here is her question:

Does Islam teach that Ishmael left Abraham's campsite with Hagar? As I understand, part of the Hajj recalls Hagar's wanderings in the desert trying to find water. The Bible says Hagar and Ishmael left together and he founded a great nation, but when Abraham died, both of his sons were together to bury him.

I would love to have a book that compared all the stories in Islam with the Old Testament counterpart. I found out that Islam traces Hagar to Abraham's trip to Egypt when he had Sarah pose as his sister. What I read said the ruler gave her to Abraham at that time.

I'm going to stay out of the Muslim part, but the Bible also teaches that Hagar came from Abraham's sojurn in Egypt. She is an Egyptian possession he took with him when he left. He also marries her after Sarah's death.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

Muslim America's Rebellious Son

"He was a pioneer in the Muslim-American community and was one of the first leaders to get Muslims to think about their faith in context of the larger society," said Rami Nashashibi, executive director of the Inner-City Muslim Action Network, which worked closely with Mohammed. "He was also a pioneer in getting Muslims to embrace their religious identity at a time when that wasn't very popular."

The Imam Cares

While WD Mohammad was determined to re-orient his organization towards orthodox Islam, he did so without rejecting the positive teachings that the Nation brought to that community, such as self-reliance and personal discipline. "[He] was able to do two remarkable things," says Sulayman Nyang, a professor of African Studies at Howard University. "One [was] the re-Islamization of the movement; the second, the re-Americanization of the movement." Under his leadership, Imam Mohammad's community reached out to other faith groups, stressed civic engagement as a means of self-empowerment, and worked for economic self-sufficiency. By some accounts, the community under his influence grew to nearly one million people.

Imam Mohammad's influence, however, was felt outside the African-American Muslim community as well. While some immigrant muslims were (and still are) unaware of what WD Muhammad gave to their community, his influence was most profoundly felt within Muslim leadership. As he reached out to predominantly immigrant Muslim organizations, he brought the lessons of nearly a half-century of organization and vision-making to the table. After his invocation to the US Senate in 1993, he led two more for President Bill Clinton. He shared a stage with Pope John Paul II and The Dalai Lama in 1999, addressing 100,000 people at the Vatican. In 2000, he had a public reconciliation with Louis Farrakhan, though that was seen as a sign of the Nation's increasing subordination to the global, mainstream Islam Mohammed steered his community towards.

irhal.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Give her this site. Its a link to a book by Ibn Kathir a great muslim scholar. The book is called the "Stories Of The Prophets" she will find the story of Abraham and Ishmael. I hope its beneficial insha Allah.

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=85

lyrics.jpg

Timeline

Give her this site. Its a link to a book by Ibn Kathir a great muslim scholar. The book is called the "Stories Of The Prophets" she will find the story of Abraham and Ishmael. I hope its beneficial insha Allah.

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=85

Thank you, and thank you, Julianna. I will pass this along.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline

What is dhikr?

The blessed Prohet (saws) said: "hatta yaqulu majnun -Remember Allah Ta'ala as much as you want, until people say that you are crazy and foolish"

(Narrated by Ahmad in his Musnad, Ibn Hibban in his Sahih, and al-Hakim who declared it sahih);

Don't be ashamed of remembering Allah (swt) at all times and in all places.

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Abu al-Darda' (ra) narrates: The Prophet (saws) once asked his companions: "Shall I tell you about the best of all deeds, the best act of piety in the eyes of your Lord, which will elevate your status in the Hereafter, and carries more virtue than the spending of gold and silver in the service of Allah or taking part in jihad and slaying or being slain in the path of Allah? The dhikr of Allah."

irhal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

got a couple of strange questions.....

1. showing affection/touching your spouse in public (islamically)

2. magic (evil eye etc....)

i've noticed alot of regional beliefs but not Islamically based....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.