nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Well, lol, that was a challenge I thought I would take on. I don't get much call for Arabic phonetics, and there were symbols that refused to stay put here. I'm curious, is it easier to learn if you see it written in phonetics than it is just by hearing it?

I can barely type English . . .

Edited by Virtual wife

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Well, lol, that was a challenge I thought I would take on. I don't get much call for Arabic phonetics, and there were symbols that refused to stay put here. I'm curious, is it easier to learn if you see it written in phonetics than it is just by hearing it?

I can barely type English . . .

I prefer to read it in arabic and hear it in arabic, but that is just me. Also, I can read in arabic just fine so that kind of helps.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Timeline

I have found for some, it is definately helpful to memorize when seen phonetically. Seeing it this way, combined with audio brings it all together. And the goal for me is to get out newbies up and running for prayer. :)

Next on the agenda....a few short suras.

Jackie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I prefer to read it in arabic and hear it in arabic, but that is just me. Also, I can read in arabic just fine so that kind of helps.

:thumbs: I don't read phonetics well because people have different ways of envisioning how something should be written out to mimmick pronunciation. Of course hearing and reading at the same time could be different. But that's just with Arabic. I've used Japanese phonetics before, as I don't know their alphabet/written language beyond some simple kanji but do know bare basic conversational Japanese.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
may be we can start on suarh Al-Ikhlas:

Bismillah Ar-rahman ar-rahim

Qol howa Allahu Ahad

Allahu as-samad

Lam yalid wa lam yolad

Wa lam yakon laho kofowan ahad

I love to say this sura in my prayers. It is simple, beautiful and nice to say. It is a good pick for beginners to learn!

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Jackie---you are right to be given it as you would say it and then also to hear it and see it read is what is helping me. I have two verses left now to memorize and I'm done learning it!!!! Every night my husband has me say it and he is now correcting me on my grammar with it. So just sitting with him and saying it over and over is helping me.

Ok, HLM---what does the surah mean that you posted? I'm at work or I would ask Ayman.

Another question for those of you who converted, did you pray every prayer in the beginning?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Aymsgirl:

Surat Ikhlas(purity) is one of the most importan surats in the Quran, after Fatiha, as it proclaims the Oneness (tawhid) of Allah.

Translation: He is Allah, the One and Only! Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him.

Surat Ikhlas is a short surah with a powerful message. The Holy Prophet has encouraged Muslims to recite this surah to purify their faith. It is said, that if you recite Ikhlas then it like you have recited one/third of the Quran ... so it is very important surat to recite in your salaat and du'uas.

"Anas reported the Prophet saying, "if anyone recites two hundred times daily, 'Say, He is God, One', the sins of fifty years will be wiped out, unless he is in debt." Tirmidhi and Darimi transmitted it. The latter's version has "fifty times" and he did not mention "unless he is in debt."

Of course, when you convert and start to pray you should/must pray each salaat ... you cannot pray the next until you have prayed the last ... buuut saying that ... you are allowed to take it slowly ... doing the movements, then reading the actual surats from a paper laid on the floor. No one can except you know every from the first day! And if you cannot pray the salaat on their times, then it is OK to pray them anytime until the next salaat. Ex: dohr was at let's say 12 but you could not pray it then ... so you have up until asr (which let's us is at 3pm) to pray it ... Only exception to this is Maghreb which you should pray when the sun goes down (the space between there is so limited so best to pay attention to this prayer)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

And after the Al-Ikhlas surat ... Ayat Al-Kursi is the next important one to learn, as it considered the pinnacle of the Quran. And recited along with Al-Ikhlas and Al-Falaq as protection against Satan, magic and the evil eye.

Very good site to learn the ayat: http://www.mounthira.com/learning/ayat/alkursi/ayatulkursi/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.