nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
One more thought, there is a great deal of lip service given to taking responsibility for learning your faith and consulting teachers and scholars, but here is also a great deal of animosity from those who do so and come to differing conclusions. There has been a long standing tradition of honoring diversity of thought in Islam (not without conflict), but the bottom line is that schools of thought survived not by the will of the people to follow them, but through the benevolence of rulers who favored one over others.

As a student of Islam for 45+ years, I know that there is no way to deny the overwhelming influence of political manipulations in what we take for granted in practice. Many who have avidly pursued Islamic education in good faith and have questioned the legitimacy of some methodologies, and/or the contraditions between rulings and the sacred texts and major sources find that instead of being engaged, they are marginalized and dismissed as out of the mainstream simply because they do not equate man-made law with divine law.

So true.......... Allah guides whom he choses. It is good to search for yourself what is right or wrong in the different texts. Man is not perfect and neither are the scholars. The most important thing is to ask for Allah's guidance in all matters that are important in one's life rather than limit yourself to one man's interpretation/opinion.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Forgive me, I'm reading this thread a bit backwards to where I left off lol

Well, it was me, I did my Shahada last week! I have studied Islam for almost two years now and feel that it is the religion for me. I will not go into all of the reasons why I converted and did my Shahada because I don't want to cause any controversy with any Non-Muslims but I feel very good about my decision. I was Christian for 32 years before then, studied the Bible, previously taught Sunday School and knew what I was doing when I decided to accept Islam.

My poor husband caught the bad end of the deal there for awhile. I would say show me this or show me that and he would just point and say find out for yourself. I would yell and say I'm asking you, tell me, show me!!! He would say if God is leading you, you will find your way love. I now know that it is because he didn't want me to think that it was something I had to do for him or for anybody to say I did it for him. He wanted it to be something that I felt from my heart and led to do on my own. And for this I am extremely grateful to be married to the man that I love. Through his actions did I see how peaceful Islam was and should be and through his devotion did I see him living as an example for the love of Allah. Seeing this is what struck the curiosity to learn more and then I was able to let go of my preconceived misinterpretations as Allah led me through my new journey.

I want to say thank you to all of you that Allah guided to help show me my way. I know some of the questions I may have asked may have seemed silly to some but it meant a lot that some of you were willing to go the extra mile to help me to understand.

I'm taking it easy and slowly and learning every day. Jackie and my hubby are helping to learn Al Fatiha and I think I am almost finished with it minus a few verses. I am praying beside my husband have got the movements down, just learning the Arabic for the prayer and concentrating on the meaning so I can feel it when I pray.

Please remember me through my new journey in life. I pray that one day I can be a light to others as some of you have been to me. I pray that I can be a good wife, mother and servant to Allah. Thank you again. (F)

I am so happy to see this, I cried! Your husband was very wise to let you find your own way with Allah's guidance. No one can bring you to Islam willingly without His indulgence. May you continue to find your way walking toward Him, so He can continue to run toward you. (F)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Forgive me, I'm reading this thread a bit backwards to where I left off lol

Well, it was me, I did my Shahada last week! I have studied Islam for almost two years now and feel that it is the religion for me. I will not go into all of the reasons why I converted and did my Shahada because I don't want to cause any controversy with any Non-Muslims but I feel very good about my decision. I was Christian for 32 years before then, studied the Bible, previously taught Sunday School and knew what I was doing when I decided to accept Islam.

My poor husband caught the bad end of the deal there for awhile. I would say show me this or show me that and he would just point and say find out for yourself. I would yell and say I'm asking you, tell me, show me!!! He would say if God is leading you, you will find your way love. I now know that it is because he didn't want me to think that it was something I had to do for him or for anybody to say I did it for him. He wanted it to be something that I felt from my heart and led to do on my own. And for this I am extremely grateful to be married to the man that I love. Through his actions did I see how peaceful Islam was and should be and through his devotion did I see him living as an example for the love of Allah. Seeing this is what struck the curiosity to learn more and then I was able to let go of my preconceived misinterpretations as Allah led me through my new journey.

I want to say thank you to all of you that Allah guided to help show me my way. I know some of the questions I may have asked may have seemed silly to some but it meant a lot that some of you were willing to go the extra mile to help me to understand.

I'm taking it easy and slowly and learning every day. Jackie and my hubby are helping to learn Al Fatiha and I think I am almost finished with it minus a few verses. I am praying beside my husband have got the movements down, just learning the Arabic for the prayer and concentrating on the meaning so I can feel it when I pray.

Please remember me through my new journey in life. I pray that one day I can be a light to others as some of you have been to me. I pray that I can be a good wife, mother and servant to Allah. Thank you again. (F)

I am so happy to see this, I cried! Your husband was very wise to let you find your own way with Allah's guidance. No one can bring you to Islam willingly without His indulgence. May you continue to find your way walking toward Him, so He can continue to run toward you. (F)

Thanks VW!!! I am so grateful that he taught me the right way by showing me I had to do this for myself.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I didn't get a chance to congratulate you aymsgirl, but I wanted to say I am so happy for you and your decision. It is so great to welcome a new muslima!

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
How is learning Al Fatiha going for the new muslims? If anyone needs help in memorizing..message me or one of the others. We would love to help.

Jackie (F)

....and rahma has the best collection of links i have ever seen (L)

S and S thanks!

Jackie----I need my next verse! I kind of relaxed on learning it with so much going on at home. Ayman made me a CD with it to listen in the car but Im not sure I understand what the next verse is. The man was reciting the Quran and my daughter said, "Aym, why is that Egyptian music is so long?" :rofl: We laughed so hard at her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Even the greatest reformers sat at the feet of more traditionally minded scholars and obtained a base from which they could engage the material.

Muhammad Abduh studied at al Azhar

Jamal al Deen al Afghani studied with shia scholars in Iran

Amina Wadud studied at Cairo University

Tariq Ramadan studied at al Azhar

ibn Hazm studied with maliki scholars in Spain (speaking of differences of opinion, here's a guy who had lots. I live this everyday. An anti tasawwuf pseudo zahari married to a tasawwuf minded shafi'i makes for lots of *fun* dinner conversations)

Certainly there will be animonsity when diviating from the majority, but that doesn't mean those who differ are saints in terms of adab (manners). ibn Hazm's writings are dripping with contempt for anyone who doesn't follow his opinions, and anyone who's been involved in the progressive movement in the last few years has butted heads with Tarek Fatah *shudders*.

In the end though, what doesn't change is how islam has been taught since the time of the Prophet (saws). It wasn't taught through books, it was taught from student to teacher, in a chain that stretches back to the Prophet (saws). If one wants to sit with a more reform minded scholar, be my guest. A salafi, sure, why not? Just make sure that the person has knowledge of the texts, and lives islam.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

http://www.mounthira.com/

Excellent resource for learning short surahs. It recites a line in arabic, and highlights it on the arabic, transliteration and translation. Repeat each line as mcuh as you want, and then move on.

My one complaint was that they used the Hilili and Khan translation, but it looks like they've changed that :dance:

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

:o Rahma is back !!!!

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Welcome back, girlie -- you have been greatly missed ! :luv:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Aww, I missed ya'll too icon_veiledsmile1.gif

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.