nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Let's get some audience participation here.

Recommend a book that has benefited you deen-wise, and tell us how it's influenced you.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ok you go first. LOL

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

Ok you go first. LOL

The point was so that I wasn't the only one contributing :P

On a tangent, I can't wait to listen to this interview with Imam Zaid about the spirit of marriage. I think it will be our family discussion time topic this weekend :D

http://www.illumemag.com/magazine/publish/180/marriage-a-beginner-s-guide.php

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

The point was so that I wasn't the only one contributing :P

On a tangent, I can't wait to listen to this interview with Imam Zaid about the spirit of marriage. I think it will be our family discussion time topic this weekend :D

http://www.illumemag.com/magazine/publish/180/marriage-a-beginner-s-guide.php

I'm teasing. Unfortunatly I haven't read anything all thru yet and am trying to get thru others. I start one, put it down, start another, and go back and forth.

08/24/2011 Biometrics

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

9iad5hjppr.png

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Guess that didn't go over well :huh:

15% discount on Seeker's Guidance Courses if you register by tomorrow inshaAllah

summereu.jpg

I'm thinking about taking something. Either the Shafi'i fiqh of worship class or Marvels of the Heart

irhal.jpg

Timeline

I keep meaning to post and sorry i haven't, I was shown two books that i recently purchased by one of our sister. The one that is very interesting is The Parallell sayings of Jesus and Mohammad. I forgot the author since the book is at work. I think its Dr Sayeed Siad. And the other book is The Sublime Quran by Laleh Bakhtiar. it to me is an easy to read. Much more so than the other qurans.

I keep meaning to post and sorry i haven't, I was shown two books that i recently purchased by one of our sister. The one that is very interesting is The Parallell sayings of Jesus and Mohammad. I forgot the author since the book is at work. I think its Dr Sayeed Siad. And the other book is The Sublime Quran by Laleh Bakhtiar. it to me is an easy to read. Much more so than the other qurans.

08/24/2011 Biometrics

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

"Purification Of The Heart" is essential to read! I'm constantly watching myself now. There's so much we forget about and go along with our live not knowing we've actually sinned!

Edited by HLM
lyrics.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Came across this blog a few months ago and been checking it every month since then. Check it out ladies:

Hijab is High

Aya

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

129199754516788624.jpg

It did it again. It's snuck up on us and it's almost here. Ramadan, that is. Rajab begins in roughly a week and a half. Shaban follows. And then before you know it, it's Ramadan!

I've often heard that the sahaba would prepare for Ramadan six months ahead of time (although I don't know the source, anyone?) While we're a little bit past the 6 month mark, don't let the opportunity to ready yourself for the most noble and generous of months pass slip away!

So what can you do? Here are some thoughts:

• Read Qur'an! If you don't already read some every day, start with 5 minutes, then add a minute with each passing week. If you already do (alhamdulilah), add more time with the Book of Allah (swt).
  • Pray! If your salat aren't in order, get them there! Recite longer surahs, and add sunna and nafila salats, so that you are ready to tackle taraweh when it arrives.
  • Fast! If you have days that you missed last Ramadan and have not yet made up, no time like the present to start. The days are getting longer and hotter (at least up here in the northern hemisphere). If you can fast now (and on the longest day of the year, around June 21), inshaAllah fasting in August won't seem all that bad.
  • Watch what you eat! Don't take the Squeakster's advice. There's no need to bulk up ahead of Ramadan. In fact, now would be an excellent time to implement this advice from the Prophet (saws), "Nothing is worse than a person who fills his stomach. It should be enough for the son of Adam to have a few bites to satisfy his hunger. If he wishes more, it should be: One-third for his food, one-third for his liquids, and one-third for his breath (Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah).
  • Fiqh fiqh fiqh! Brush up on the fiqh of fasting, so you aren't running to the books to find out if you accidentally broke your fast. Hanafi, Shafi'i, Maliki, Fiqh of Fasting in Details (all 4 madhabs), Fiqh-us-Sunnah (general).
  • Repent! This is something we should be doing every day anyways, so why not get in the habit now? Ramadan is a month of forgiveness, and the Prophet (saws) told us that "Whoever observes fast during the month of Ramadan out of sincere faith, and hoping to attain Allah's rewards, all his past sins will be forgiven." (Bukhari). A key and integral part of forgiveness is the repentance, so check yourself, check your intentions, and check your actions, past and present. If you see sin, seek Allah (swt)'s forgiveness.
  • Plan! Ramadan is a mere 29 or 30 days. Every hour, every minute, every second counts. How will you spend your time? In front of the TV? Making extravagant meals for iftar? Cleaning the house for guests? Working overtime at work? If you don't plan ahead, you may wake up on the morning and eid and realize that you didn't accomplish anything.
  • Make the most of Rajab and Shaban! Lots of awesome things to do and many awesome rewards to reach for in these months. Don't miss em
  • Get excited! Seriously, jump up and down right now and do a little woot woot. Ramadan is coming, you should be psyched!

irhal.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Ok Im really new here to posting, but Ive been following VJ since we started back in 2008! Just wanted to join in on the fun :) Interested in knowing how any of you prepare for Ramadan? It will be my husband's second Ramadan in the states and its just not the same as when we had family and friends around in Morocco. Any suggestions? There's not a large muslim population that I've found in Kansas City..and feel like an outsider when attending the local mosque.

CR1/AOS Timeline
12 JUNE 2015 - CR1/AOS/EAD/AP PACKET SENT
15 JUNE 2015 - CR1/AOS/EAD/AP PACKET DELIVERED TO USCIS (CHICAGO LOCKBOX)
22 JUNE 2015 - RECEIVED TEXT/EMAIL NOA1--CR1/AOS/EAD/AP
24 JUNE 2015 - CHECKS CASHED
27 JUNE 2015 - RECEIVED NOA1--CRI/AOS/EAD/AP (HARDCOPY)
03 JULY 2015 - Bio-metrics letter
17 JULY 2015 - Bio-metrics appt (done)
19 AUG 2015 - EAD/AP Approved via email
19 AUG 2015 - EAD New card is being produced!

28 SEP 2015 - AOS Interview appt

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Where did everybody go? Ok now I feel like I ran you all off :(

CR1/AOS Timeline
12 JUNE 2015 - CR1/AOS/EAD/AP PACKET SENT
15 JUNE 2015 - CR1/AOS/EAD/AP PACKET DELIVERED TO USCIS (CHICAGO LOCKBOX)
22 JUNE 2015 - RECEIVED TEXT/EMAIL NOA1--CR1/AOS/EAD/AP
24 JUNE 2015 - CHECKS CASHED
27 JUNE 2015 - RECEIVED NOA1--CRI/AOS/EAD/AP (HARDCOPY)
03 JULY 2015 - Bio-metrics letter
17 JULY 2015 - Bio-metrics appt (done)
19 AUG 2015 - EAD/AP Approved via email
19 AUG 2015 - EAD New card is being produced!

28 SEP 2015 - AOS Interview appt

• 4 months later...
Timeline

Awesome FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE opportunity for sisters learning from the Rahmah Foundation

http://therahmahfoundation.org/programs/store/#ecwid:category=434920&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

Some do require you purchase a text, and a donation would be nice. Register soon, as some classes have already started!

irhal.jpg

Timeline
Meadows of Al-Mustafa – another amazing freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee opportunity for sisters to learn from awesome female scholars. Email to get on their message list, and to inshaAllah get invitations to their courses

irhal.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Excellent article about these blessed days that we are currently in. Allah (swt) has provided an opportunity for us to benefit from these days, even without making hajj.

http://www.nursacredsciences.com/the-many-blessings-of-the-ten-days-of-dhul-hijja/

Ahmad and at-Tabarani record from Ibn ‘Umar (ra) that the Messenger of Allah (saws) said, “There is no day more honorable in Allaah’s sight and no acts more beloved therein to Allaah than those in these ten days. So say tahlil (la ilaha il Allah), takbir (Allahu Akbar) and tahmid (Alhamdulilah) a lot [on those days].” [Ahmad]

Abu Hurairah (ra) relates that the Messenger of Allah (saws) said, “There are no days more loved to Allah for you to worship Him therein than the ten days of Dhul Hijjah. Fasting any day during it is equivalent to fasting one year and to offer salatul tahajjud during one of its nights is like performing the late night prayer on the night of power.” [ at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, and al-Baihaqi]

irhal.jpg

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Happy Hijri new year!

The Hijra is not only one of the greatest events in the history of Islam, but it is a historic milestone whose impact forever changed the course of history for all of humanity at large. The migration of the Muslims from Mecca to Medina set the foundations for ensuring that the religion of Islam would become established in the Arabian Peninsula, the effects of which would reverberate from East to West as the realm of Islam spread. This is why the rank of the great Muhājirūn, who left all that was dear to them in their homeland of Mecca for the sake of the freedom to worship and practice their faith in Medina is immeasurable. All that the world has inherited today from the vast and rich Islamic tradition is owed to the sincere sacrifice of a few who undertook this momentous journey. On the first day of the month of Muḥarram, we not only remember this great occasion that marks the first day of the Islamic calendar, but we are also reminded of its timeless lessons.

And don't forget that Muharram is an excellent excellent time to fast!

The best fasting after Ramadan is fasting Allah's month of Muharram [Muslim]

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.