nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
The Squeakster is fat, fuzzy and cuddly as always, thanks for asking :luv: She's really enjoying her new cat tree, but not enjoying her diet. I should have AbuS do my portion control, because she's losing more weight than me :lol:

100_2174.jpg

:rofl: Should do an LolCat with this line: That's it? That's mah fud. SRSLY???

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
The Squeakster is fat, fuzzy and cuddly as always, thanks for asking :luv: She's really enjoying her new cat tree, but not enjoying her diet. I should have AbuS do my portion control, because she's losing more weight than me :lol:

100_2174.jpg

Wow, she is losing weight!

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

100_2174.jpg

:rofl: Should do an LolCat with this line: That's it? That's mah fud. SRSLY???

Oooooooops, just wanted to say, not with that picture. With another of her getting her little bowl of food. This pic should say: Svelte figure - I gotz it!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

She still has her loose gut though, but maybe that's just the result of a bad spay. It is increadibly cute, as when she comes running, it swings back and forth. But, totally not health, so we gotta lose it.

*digs around in my icanhascheezburger account* Ah, here it is:

128913571821794362.jpg

This was at the beginning of the diet though. Now she just meows incessantly at the top of her lungs and wacks us in the legs when we're sitting.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hi!

I just wanted to ask a question, and it may have already been answered in the 170+ pages, so please forgive me if that is the case.

I am trying to learn more about Islam. I am not really considering converting, neither of us are very religious. But, I do want to learn more since my kids are Muslim, I want to be able to answer their questions when they are old enough to understand and whatever happens beyond that is God's will. My problem is this, I don't read Arabic. The ones of you that converted, did you learn to read Arabic first, or did you use an English translation of the Quar'an? I have an English translation that a friend gave me a long time ago, but of course a translation is not the best to learn from since it is just that, a translation. If you did use an English version, did you find it held true to the actual meanings and teachings? Any help would be appreciated, I look forward to any feedback.

Thanks, and hope you all have a great day!

Angie

OUR TIMELINE:

Met online: June 5, 2006

Met in person: February 5, 2007

Marriage: February 24, 2007 in Beirut, Lebanon

I-130 Sent: July 23, 2007

NOA1: September 4, 2007

Daughter Born: October 27, 2007

NOA2 (Both 1-130 & I-129): March 12, 2008

NVC receives I-129F, case # assigned: April 4, 2008 (They NEVER receive the I-130)

Interview Date: August 12, 2008

Visa in hand, 1 month exactly of AP/AR/name checks: September 12, 2008 (whoot! whoot!)

POE: October 16, 2008 (praying all goes smoothly!)

Abed arrives in Lexington, KY (FINALLY! What a rough trip for him!): October 17, 2008, 8:47am EST

Adjustment of Status:

Sent in April 16, 2009

Received NOA1 in mail: April 29, 2009

Biometrics Appt: May 13, 2009

RFE: May 11, 2009 (received May 14, 2009)

Sent in RFE (that we had already included in the original packet!): May 26, 2009

Resumed Processing: June 1, 2009

EAD Card Production Ordered: June 10, 2009 (thank you GOD!!)

Received EAD card: June 20, 2009

2nd Daughter Born: July 13, 2009

Interview Date: July 31, 2009...easy, breezy...Card Production Ordered!

Received 10 year green card : August 14, 2009

Baby Boy is born: May 17, 2012

Apply for Citizenship: October 22, 2012

Interview: January 11, 2013

Oath Date: April 12, 2013 (Covington, KY)

done Done and DONE!!! Praise God!

Now we get to work on getting his family to the US!!

Timeline
Hi!

I just wanted to ask a question, and it may have already been answered in the 170+ pages, so please forgive me if that is the case.

I am trying to learn more about Islam. I am not really considering converting, neither of us are very religious. But, I do want to learn more since my kids are Muslim, I want to be able to answer their questions when they are old enough to understand and whatever happens beyond that is God's will. My problem is this, I don't read Arabic. The ones of you that converted, did you learn to read Arabic first, or did you use an English translation of the Quar'an? I have an English translation that a friend gave me a long time ago, but of course a translation is not the best to learn from since it is just that, a translation. If you did use an English version, did you find it held true to the actual meanings and teachings? Any help would be appreciated, I look forward to any feedback.

Thanks, and hope you all have a great day!

Angie

Hi Angie! I do not read Arabic so I used the English Transliteration of the Quran. When I was first learning about Islam besides reading the Quran I went to the library and obtained whatever books I could get my hands on and I found the series of books called Islam for Dummies, Koran for Dummies etc. more helpful than most others. I will say that there were a few things in the English Quran that my husband would ask where I got that from and when he would read his my version of the ayat became more confusing. There are just some words in Arabic that can't be translated exactly how they should be in English from my understanding. I may have a few websites on my computer at work for kids that I was researching if you would like the sites pm me.

Thanks,

Tasha

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I use the English translation, however when I have kids inshallah they will learn Arabic. I took a few Arabic classes at the masjid, but I haven't been sticking with it.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Timeline
I use the English translation, however when I have kids inshallah they will learn Arabic. I took a few Arabic classes at the masjid, but I haven't been sticking with it.

It seems like in my area Arabic classes in person are so hard to find. Our goal is for our son to be fluent in both languages and read and write in both. Inshallah, this will one day come true for him.

Edited by Aymsgirl

Timeline

Angie, I read the Qur'an in english first and foremost, as I'm no where near fluent in arabic. It's something I strive for, but I'm horrid at language, so it's a long slow slog.

I own close to 20 different translations, and each has their good points and bad points. When I just want to read, I'll pick one (my current fave is the Bewley translation for ease of reading). If I want to study, I'll take our 3 or 4, plus a few different commentaries. Different translations chose to highlight and translate different aspects of the word, so if you get a couple of different ones in front of you, you get more facets of each word.

For example, in surah al falaq, ayah 4 (113:4), the literal translation is something like "from the evil of those who blow knots." If you're not familiar with the idiom "an-naffathat", you'd be like :unsure: But if you compare it to other translations, you'd see that "blow knots" is also translated as witchcraft, secret arts, or occult endevors. So from reading several translations, you'll know both the literal and the figurative meaning of the verse, thus (hopefully) gaining a deeper understanding.

There have been a lot of changes in online quran resources in recent years. I'll update my list and post it on my blog inshaAllah.

Edited by UmmSqueakster

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Thank you ladies very much for taking time to answer my question. I apologize for not replying sooner...babies took the place of computer time, haha.

Tasha, I am going to send you a PM as soon as I can to get the info from you if you still don't mind.

I need all the help I can get! For their sake, I want to have as much understanding as I possibly can...I'm sure my hubby and sisters-in-law and mother-in-law will help me too, I just have to ask.

Squeakster (I'm sorry I don't remember your real life name) Thank you! I'll take a look at your blog to try to get more info as well!

Take care all and have a wonderful week!

~Angie

OUR TIMELINE:

Met online: June 5, 2006

Met in person: February 5, 2007

Marriage: February 24, 2007 in Beirut, Lebanon

I-130 Sent: July 23, 2007

NOA1: September 4, 2007

Daughter Born: October 27, 2007

NOA2 (Both 1-130 & I-129): March 12, 2008

NVC receives I-129F, case # assigned: April 4, 2008 (They NEVER receive the I-130)

Interview Date: August 12, 2008

Visa in hand, 1 month exactly of AP/AR/name checks: September 12, 2008 (whoot! whoot!)

POE: October 16, 2008 (praying all goes smoothly!)

Abed arrives in Lexington, KY (FINALLY! What a rough trip for him!): October 17, 2008, 8:47am EST

Adjustment of Status:

Sent in April 16, 2009

Received NOA1 in mail: April 29, 2009

Biometrics Appt: May 13, 2009

RFE: May 11, 2009 (received May 14, 2009)

Sent in RFE (that we had already included in the original packet!): May 26, 2009

Resumed Processing: June 1, 2009

EAD Card Production Ordered: June 10, 2009 (thank you GOD!!)

Received EAD card: June 20, 2009

2nd Daughter Born: July 13, 2009

Interview Date: July 31, 2009...easy, breezy...Card Production Ordered!

Received 10 year green card : August 14, 2009

Baby Boy is born: May 17, 2012

Apply for Citizenship: October 22, 2012

Interview: January 11, 2013

Oath Date: April 12, 2013 (Covington, KY)

done Done and DONE!!! Praise God!

Now we get to work on getting his family to the US!!

Timeline

I started a page here but it doesn't have much info yet. I haven't had a chance yet to dig through my piles o links and whatnot to suss out what's still there and what's good.

Tasha, would you mind posting your info here, so I could include it?

irhal.jpg

Timeline

The new (hijri) year is almost here, time to party :dance: (I know, bida bida bida blah blah blah).

It also means that ashura is approaching. For sunnis, it's a remembrance of passover and a recommended day to fast. For shias, it's a remembrance of the martyrdom of Imam Husain (ra).

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=...2445&CATE=6

Fast on the days on which the Law encourages you to fast, such as the day of Arafat for those who are not participating n the pilgrimage, the ninth and tenth [‘Ashura] of Muharram, and the six days of Shawwal, starting with the second day of the Feast, for this is the more effective discipline for the soul.

irhal.jpg

Timeline

The moon was sighted in north america last night, so happy Hijri new year! Don't forget to fast on the 9th and 10th.

Fiqh of Islamic Months: The Month of Muharram

irhal.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Happy New Hijri Year! :)

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Timeline

There aren't a lot of good islam based podcasts out there, but at least there are a few gems to find. One of those is the seekerguidance podcast. There's currently an excellent series on "Steps on the Path of Love of the Prophet (saws)" by Ustadh Hatim Yousef.

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.