nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

If you really like abayas, look for abayas from Dubai. Sure, they're on the pricier side, but they are definately lady-like, stylish, and so don't look like sacks.

I found some after you said ababyas from Dubai. I normally do not wear things like this but would like something nice to wear when I visit the mosque without having to scrap the bottom of my closet to find something I am not satisfied with. Thanks for the idea.

Don't buy them online. Your husband will be here soon. Have him pick one up for you here. The prices for abayas from Dubai online are way higher than he would pay for them in Egypt. If I'm not mistaken, he's got family in Alexandria, yeah? There's a shop in the mall where Carrefour is that sells them. Like I said, they're pricy compared to other abayas (650 LE and up) but the style, color, and material make them worth every piestre.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

abaya shopping in egypt, for me, was a dismail failure. we couldn't find any that were long enough and big enough for my height and fatness. it was disappointing. <_< i think i will have to buy one online and have it custom-made if i want something that fits properly, which generally means it'll be very expensive.

abaya shopping in egypt, for me, was a dismail failure. we couldn't find any that were long enough and big enough for my height and fatness. it was disappointing. <_< i think i will have to buy one online and have it custom-made if i want something that fits properly, which generally means it'll be very expensive.

Ooooooooooooooh, no. Finding a seamstress will save you money. I lost a lot of weight after I bought my summer wardrobe last year. Last month I had it all taken in (I've developed quite a penchant for clothes shopping since I've been here so there was A LOT) and the entire thing cost 100 LE. I also had the same seamstress make a suit for me (tailored jacket, blouse, and skirt). I bought the material (175 LE) and she whipped it up for 200 LE (she even bought the thread, zipper, buttons, shoulder pads, etc.). Not only that, she made a head scarf from the same material as the blouse. It fits perfectly and looks amazing. She also picks up and delivers. Really, if you want nice abayas that fit, think about finding a seamstress.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ooooooooooooooh, no. Finding a seamstress will save you money. I lost a lot of weight after I bought my summer wardrobe last year. Last month I had it all taken in (I've developed quite a penchant for clothes shopping since I've been here so there was A LOT) and the entire thing cost 100 LE. I also had the same seamstress make a suit for me (tailored jacket, blouse, and skirt). I bought the material (175 LE) and she whipped it up for 200 LE (she even bought the thread, zipper, buttons, shoulder pads, etc.). Not only that, she made a head scarf from the same material as the blouse. It fits perfectly and looks amazing. She also picks up and delivers. Really, if you want nice abayas that fit, think about finding a seamstress.

Hmmm. you mind hooking a sister up with the seamstress?! :whistle: while i was there last time, my husband's sister made me a nice skirt, but i was really looking to find a kind of pretty abaya, something with some embroidery and such, which his sister can't do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Heh, I don't trust AbuS to go shopping for me. He does all right scarf shopping - when he came to the US, he brought me a hot pink one and a hunter orange one :luv: - but on abayas? No way. I've been collecting pictures of abayas I like and inshaAllah will send them with him so he knows what to get. But, seeing as how it may be another year before he can go, I'll probably buy a few online before then.

East Essense - someone on one of my hijab groups bought a few. Her initial review was good, but I think after a few wears/washes, the cheapeness started to show.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Today is the 27th of Rajab, which means that it's one of the days that may be the isra wa miraj. Although the night has already passed us by, we can still remember this blessed event this day.

I've got this talk by Sh. Abdul Sattar on my ipod today - Isra and Miraj, search "isra" - where he goes through the ayah and assorted hadith on the event and takes away lessons for us today.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
Today is the 27th of Rajab, which means that it's one of the days that may be the isra wa miraj. Although the night has already passed us by, we can still remember this blessed event this day.

I've got this talk by Sh. Abdul Sattar on my ipod today - Isra and Miraj, search "isra" - where he goes through the ayah and assorted hadith on the event and takes away lessons for us today.

May Allah (swt) accept our towba and our prayers inshaAllah!

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

Good advice Melly...except do I really need another purple hijab? Yes, yes I do. In fact, a half dozen more would be nice :whistle:

irhal.jpg

Ok.. we've alllll been thru this a zillion times. I posted this coz I told everyone in the daily thread I'd explain why I decided to start covering. Well, this verse is why. I know it's debated and debated and debated until the horse is dead but I took it upon myself to start reading Qura'an last week and when reading the chapter "noor".... I read, re-read, and re-read this chapter until I finally felt like I understood exactly what it was saying and what was being commanded.....

First, the verse...then my explanation.

qura'an - chapter 24 vs (30) And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.

OOOOOK... my explanation.

Tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent. Ok. Simple enough.

Adornment = beauty. lower ur gaze, be modest, and cover the adornment (beauty) which is apparent.

Then it says to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save......etc

mmmk... draw the veil over the bosom AND don't reveal their adornment...etc.... so TO ME...MY OWN INTERPRETATION AND UNDERSTANDING... is that... cover ur beauty. well .....to me, hair is a form of beauty...so hair would definitely be an adornment which needs to be covered. (again just mho)

Then it goes on to say to draw the veil over the bosom and not to reveal their adornment. mmmmmk... cover the "ladies" AND (and which can also mean "also) not to reveal the adornment.......

So the more I read...the more I realized that it does mean (to me) to cover the hair and to wear items which do not form to ur body (since those would reveal the "bodily" adornment ...ie curves, breasts, etc)... so if u have clothes that are somewhat form fitting, then at least use a veil to wrap around those "adornment" type areas so as not to show ur "goods"....

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Ok.. we've alllll been thru this a zillion times. I posted this coz I told everyone in the daily thread I'd explain why I decided to start covering. Well, this verse is why. I know it's debated and debated and debated until the horse is dead but I took it upon myself to start reading Qura'an last week and when reading the chapter "noor".... I read, re-read, and re-read this chapter until I finally felt like I understood exactly what it was saying and what was being commanded.....

First, the verse...then my explanation.

qura'an - chapter 24 vs (30) And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.

OOOOOK... my explanation.

Tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent. Ok. Simple enough.

Adornment = beauty. lower ur gaze, be modest, and cover the adornment (beauty) which is apparent.

Then it says to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save......etc

mmmk... draw the veil over the bosom AND don't reveal their adornment...etc.... so TO ME...MY OWN INTERPRETATION AND UNDERSTANDING... is that... cover ur beauty. well .....to me, hair is a form of beauty...so hair would definitely be an adornment which needs to be covered. (again just mho)

Then it goes on to say to draw the veil over the bosom and not to reveal their adornment. mmmmmk... cover the "ladies" AND (and which can also mean "also) not to reveal the adornment.......

So the more I read...the more I realized that it does mean (to me) to cover the hair and to wear items which do not form to ur body (since those would reveal the "bodily" adornment ...ie curves, breasts, etc)... so if u have clothes that are somewhat form fitting, then at least use a veil to wrap around those "adornment" type areas so as not to show ur "goods"....

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Hmmm. you mind hooking a sister up with the seamstress?! :whistle: while i was there last time, my husband's sister made me a nice skirt, but i was really looking to find a kind of pretty abaya, something with some embroidery and such, which his sister can't do.

Taban! Let me know when you're ready.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hubby is from a small place called Minya El Kamh...near Zagazig. How do I tell him what sizes to get? I am going to tell my fatness to everybody here but who gives a hoot. I normally wear a 16 pants and a 16-18 shirt.....or a 1x. I have no idea what to tell him to get? I do like the idea of sending pictures with him. Honestly, he has great taste in clothes..you'd be shocked.

Timeline

amal, may Allah (swt) make it easy for you! It's good to ease into it slowly. I think it took me 8 months to transition from non hijabi clothes to completely covering my hair, and then even a few years after that to wearing clothes that were completely covering.

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.