nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I have a question. For the ladies here that work, do you wear makeup? Just curious, since you perform wadu all day, how do you handle the makeup thing?

Salaam sis....lol, this post tickled me. I wear just a little liner and mascara. I only pray the zhuhr and asr (depending on what time it falls in the year) prayer at work.

What helps is I get water proof mascara and I reapply the liner after wudu. Hope that helps.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
I have a question. For the ladies here that work, do you wear makeup? Just curious, since you perform wadu all day, how do you handle the makeup thing?

Salaam sis....lol, this post tickled me. I wear just a little liner and mascara. I only pray the zhuhr and asr (depending on what time it falls in the year) prayer at work.

What helps is I get water proof mascara and I reapply the liner after wudu. Hope that helps.

LOL, I know it is something that is so non significant in the grand scheme, but I was jus curious. I rarely wear makeup anyway.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
one more question, there is not really a place for me to pray at work. What do you do when at work?

I just wanted to say Welcome to Islam, my new Sister! :thumbs: My husband does not have a place to pray at work either. He will go sit in his vehicle on his break and do his prayer sitting in the truck. As far as makeup, before I would not leave the house without being made up. Now it is not so important. My husband has never said that I couldnt wear makeup, but has said that he preferred I didnt telling me that he loved my natural skin. So over time I just got use to going without it.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline

Makeup - I don't wear any. It's too much of a hassle to reapply after wudu. Plus, my skin has been suprisingly acne free since I stopped. And I save myself 5 minutes of make up applying time in the morning. That means more sleep :dance:

Praying at work - can you talk with your boss about using a private office for 5 minutes? I pray in my file room, which has a hard floor, ugh. When I worked at McDonalds in college, I went to the basement to pray.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I unfortunately, do not feel comfortable praying at work. I work for a Seventh Day Adventist Hospital and I think it would be frowned down upon. I keep to myself with issues like this. I pray fajr in the morning and according to the times may only have to make up Duhr or Asr when I get home.

Timeline
How do you do Wudu? I read that you have to use special purified water...does that mean you have to take a special water bottle with you to work etc?

You can use your tap water.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

salaam, everyone. I'm curious about something. Every once in a while I come by to catch up on this thread, and I notice that on ocasson there is an admonishion that Muslims should not be judgmental because Islam is not judgemental. Where is this idea coming from? To me, it has more to do with being PC than with being Muslim. Muslims are called upon by God to promote the good and discourage sin. We are to assist each other with our character, values and growth. One must be firm and consistant to do that.

It's not a matter of being harsh, its a matter of following the Right Path. The only way that a Muslim gains the burden of another's wrongdoing is if s/he leads them astray, so we cannot allow ourselves to fall prey to the idea that we must always be sweet and accomodating so as to not offend anyone. We are to speak the truth, as we see it. If we can do so with beautiful words, we will. If we must provide reminders, we will.

In this society, desire of the flesh and individual reality is encouraged, so it is easy to bring to your conversion the belief that no one should ever judge you because you have been able to commit so many sins without judgement. But a Muslim must know that their entire existance is about being on the path to God's judgement on the Last Day, and those who are reborn in Islam are like babies who need guidance. If you are not willing to do as expected, yes, we know you are weak and need support, but that support is like that of a parent who wants their child to grow strong and confident in the faith. It is not expected that you wil never falter, we all falter at times, but we must be clear that there are limits to behavior, and limits are often new to those who seek Truth.

We are each drawn to God for our own reasons, but many who willingly and knowingly come to Islam are seeking structure where there was none before. Change in behavior is an unavoidable element of comittment to God, and a good Muslim will do what s/he can to help you make that change. You must not think we are being harsh, but that we are being honest, and that is something others have not always been for you.

Timeline

I just don't wear makeup. I used to reapply it but now I just don't even bother. I have also noticed a change in my skin! (for the better)

one more question, there is not really a place for me to pray at work. What do you do when at work?

I asked our admin where I could pray, letting her know it was a religious requirement, and she showed me an empty office that I could use. Well it's not empty anymore so I basically just pray at my desk now. Now, I don't really pray the normal way because of my back problems so normally I pray sitting in a chair. In the beginning though I prayed normally and was told that it is not ok to pray sitting unless you have a physical problem preventing you to do so. (the praying in the truck made me think of that). I don't have anything to back that up but when that was the case I would just make up the prayers as soon as I got home.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

Like the other sisters have said, I would ask your supervisor if there is available private space for you to pray somewhere at work. Luckily for me, we always have a room or two open at the clinic to pray in. When I am out where I am unable to find a place to pray, I will do it in my car.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I just got done reading this book called The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf (pretty good, kinda like Muslimah chicklit) and in several scenes through the book, women were doing salat outside in public-- places like parks, parking lots, etc. Especially when they were traveling somewhere, or couldn't get to a masjid at the time for prayer. I was under the impression that it's not really advisable for women to pray in public places, as you can't control who is seeing you bent over and such. Thoughts on this?

Timeline

I really liked that book, although she didn't end up where I would have liked her to be.

I used to pray outside in college. If I were in a situation where that were my only option, I'd do it. But, as you said, it's a bit ackward to have your rear in the air. If I prayed outside now, I'd find a secluded area where I could have my back to something, so people wouldn't walk behind me. It is really something to pray outside though, surrounded by Allah's (swt) signs and beauty. I'm working on getting AbuS to go hiking and then camping, so I imagine we'll be praying outside more in the future inshaAllah.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.