nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
I say convert. I find the term revert to be awkward, and have never felt comfortable using it.

Revert is used because Islam is the religion of our fitra, our original nature, and in embracing islam, they are returning, reverting to that original state.

Thank you for the explanation...I always thought that was it, but I, too, believe it should be "convert" if you were practicing another religion all along and then "converted" to a new one. I would see revert if you were muslim, converted to Catholicism and then reverted back to Islam. That to me is a reversion.

Just my 2 cents.

But the very point of saying revert is that you were born muslim, then converted to whatever your parents/elders/orphanage/what-have-you were, then when you went back to being muslim you "reverted" to your original religion.

Do you consider yourself a revert or a convert?

Decided on the coral. In a bad mood so shopping made me feel all betterer :blush:

Found this cool blog and I'm loving the pink number here:

Bridge, I'm totally loving that number. That is awesome! :dance:

OMgoodness!!! I love all of them Bridge! Wait, minus the 489 dollar wool pants :P:devil:

What's wrong with $489 wool pants?

I learned the fine art of clothes shopping in Egypt. Let me tell you how it works: NOTHING - and I mean NOTHING - is too expensive or self-indulgent if you like it, you'll wear it, and your husband thinks you look "so beautiful" in it.

Why not get it?

Sheesh! I would! It's "so beautiful"!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I say convert. I find the term revert to be awkward, and have never felt comfortable using it.

Revert is used because Islam is the religion of our fitra, our original nature, and in embracing islam, they are returning, reverting to that original state.

Thank you for the explanation...I always thought that was it, but I, too, believe it should be "convert" if you were practicing another religion all along and then "converted" to a new one. I would see revert if you were muslim, converted to Catholicism and then reverted back to Islam. That to me is a reversion.

Just my 2 cents.

But the very point of saying revert is that you were born muslim, then converted to whatever your parents/elders/orphanage/what-have-you were, then when you went back to being muslim you "reverted" to your original religion.

A revert but I say to people outloud that I'm a convert because if I were to say revert we'd all (whoever I'm with in person) have to grab a pot of coffee since the questions would be flying all over the place. Technically though, I believe it's more accurate to say that I'm a revert. Just my 2 cents though.

Decided on the coral. In a bad mood so shopping made me feel all betterer :blush:

Found this cool blog and I'm loving the pink number here:

Bridge, I'm totally loving that number. That is awesome! :dance:

OMgoodness!!! I love all of them Bridge! Wait, minus the 489 dollar wool pants :P:devil:

What's wrong with $489 wool pants?

I learned the fine art of clothes shopping in Egypt. Let me tell you how it works: NOTHING - and I mean NOTHING - is too expensive or self-indulgent if you like it, you'll wear it, and your husband thinks you look "so beautiful" in it.

Why not get it?

Sheesh! I would! It's "so beautiful"!

I wouldn't. Wool is hot in the summer, especially in Egypt. :P Seriously though I would never pay full price for those pants anyway even if I liked them. I thrive upon the challenge of the bargain. I'm suprised that they're on there to begin with since the other clothing items (pocketbooks aside) are fairly cheap.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

Just my 2 cents.

A revert but I say to people outloud that I'm a convert because if I were to say revert we'd all (whoever I'm with in person) have to grab a pot of coffee since the questions would be flying all over the place. Technically though, I believe it's more accurate to say that I'm a revert. Just my 2 cents though.

But you were born, baptized and raised a Catholic, correct? I guess I am confused. If you didn't find out about Islam until your 30s or so, how can one say that they reverted? Forgive, I'm not trying to start anything it is just I'm trying to figure out the semantics of it.

Edited by Staashi

Timeline
But you were born, baptized and raised a Catholic, correct?

I believe I was born muslim and my parents baptized me and raised me to be a Catholic. I really had no choice. Even when I went to get confirmed I distinctly remember showing my parents the form I was to sign and it asked if I was doing this of my own free will. I told them I don't know if I want to do this and they said just sign it, everyone does, and it will all work out.

Anyway that's why some say they reverted. They believe that everyone is born muslim and belongs to the ummah but because of interference from others we were unable to practice Islam and then when we found Islam again we "reverted".

Timeline
But you were born, baptized and raised a Catholic, correct?

I believe I was born muslim and my parents baptized me and raised me to be a Catholic. I really had no choice. Even when I went to get confirmed I distinctly remember showing my parents the form I was to sign and it asked if I was doing this of my own free will. I told them I don't know if I want to do this and they said just sign it, everyone does, and it will all work out.

Anyway that's why some say they reverted. They believe that everyone is born muslim and belongs to the ummah but because of interference from others we were unable to practice Islam and then when we found Islam again we "reverted".

Thank you for the explanation.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I wouldn't. Wool is hot in the summer, especially in Egypt. :P Seriously though I would never pay full price for those pants anyway even if I liked them. I thrive upon the challenge of the bargain. I'm suprised that they're on there to begin with since the other clothing items (pocketbooks aside) are fairly cheap.

My dad swears his "summer weight" wool suit is cooler in the summer than cotton, even in Columbia's heat and humidity. A former boss said the same thing. I dunno, and $489 is way more than I can spare to experiment :D

Love looking at the new clothes though!

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline

I wonder how often children who were raised Muslim from birth feel the same way, that they weren't given a choice? A Muslim friend once told me that when her children reached a certain age, they would be punished if they did not pray, and my husband has confirmed that this is often the case. I'm sure that's true for many Christians as well. I distinctly remember feeling at 12 years old that my choice was my own, although I was certainly guided and taught from a certain point of view, and I don't know if I would really have had a choice about going to church or not as a child. We just went, but I enjoyed it, so there was no conflict. But I was also encouraged to ask questions and told that it was okay to doubt what I was taught and to seek answers on my own, which I often did. I guess the religious education of children is a very complicated thing, and parents just have to do the best they can.

Not trying to be argumentative at all -- this is just a thought-provoking discussion.

I'm the USC.

Timeline
I wonder how often children who were raised Muslim from birth feel the same way, that they weren't given a choice? A Muslim friend once told me that when her children reached a certain age, they would be punished if they did not pray, and my husband has confirmed that this is often the case. I'm sure that's true for many Christians as well. I distinctly remember feeling at 12 years old that my choice was my own, although I was certainly guided and taught from a certain point of view, and I don't know if I would really have had a choice about going to church or not as a child. We just went, but I enjoyed it, so there was no conflict. But I was also encouraged to ask questions and told that it was okay to doubt what I was taught and to seek answers on my own, which I often did. I guess the religious education of children is a very complicated thing, and parents just have to do the best they can.

Not trying to be argumentative at all -- this is just a thought-provoking discussion.

Oh I'm sure that some children do feel the same way if they were only exposed to Islam and didn't have a choice. That being said though, the whole concept of being born muslim isn't really a feeling but it is written in the Quran:

And (remember) when your Lord brought forth from the Children of Adam, from their loins, their seed (or from Adam's loin his offspring) and made them testify as to themselves (saying): "Am I not your Lord?" They said: "Yes! We testify," lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection: "Verily, we have been unaware of this."

Al-A'raaf surah 172

I was never hit if I didn't say my prayers but my mom would not leave the room at night until I physically knelt down at my bedside (even if I felt ill, mind you) and prayed the Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be and if I messed up any of it I had to start from the VERY BEGINNING. :blink: I'm sure there are similar stories in any religious home no matter what the religion.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Weird question. Can someone tell me how Judaism and Christianity fit into Islam? I'm Christian and obviously I know how Judaism and Christianity fit together but not Islam. I have a vague idea that the Quran teaches that Christianity had sort of fallen off the path by the time of Muhammad. You can be frank, I won't be offended. I know we are all connected...I'm just not entirely sure how.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Also I've been reading books by Adnan Oktar. Is he generally a respected theologian of Islam? His writings are very interesting but I did a quick Wikipedia search on him and noticed he had some legal problems in the past.

Edited by lancer1655

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

In the Qur'an, Allah (swt) tells us:

"The Messiah, son of Mary, was no more than a Messenger before whom many Messengers have passed away; and his mother adhered wholly to truthfulness, and they both ate food (as other mortals do). See how we make Our signs clear to them; and see where they are turning away!" (5:75).

Basically, Jesus, Isa in arabic (alayhi salaam, upon him be peace), was one in a long line of messengers who taught the same basic truth - submission to God, islam.

"And when Jesus perceived their leaning towards unbelief, he asked, "Who will be my helpers in the way of God?" The disciples said, "We are helpers of God. We believe in Allah, and our witness that we have submitted ourselves exclusively to God. Our Lord! We believe in the commandment You have revealed and we obey the Messenger; make us, then, one of those who bear witness." (3:52-53).

"And when I put in the hearts of the disciples (of Jesus) to believe in Me and My Messenger, they said: "We believe. And bear witness that we are Muslims." (5:111)

As had happened with the message that had been brought by the previous Prophets (saws), the injeel (gospel) of Jesus (as) was distorted and muddled. Muhammad (saws) was sent as the final Messenger, the seal of the Prophets, to bring the final revelation.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Also I've been reading books by Adnan Oktar. Is he generally a respected theologian of Islam? His writings are very interesting but I did a quick Wikipedia search on him and noticed he had some legal problems in the past.

I'm not a Harun Yahya fan, mainly beause I don't like to get into the whole evolution vs. creationism debate. He's not really a theologian - more of a self educated crusader against evolution.

Is there a reason you're reading his books? If there is something in particular you're looking for, perhaps I or someone else here can point you towards other things to read as well.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Just as Ramadan is approaching I have a question if anyone can help

I finally found a mosque for hubby, close to us and easy for him to get to on his own.

He wants to get a Ramadan schedule...is there such a thing?

He says he needs to know when the time prior to Ramadan starts...starts with an Shaba...Shabam???...it's like 30 days before and supposedly there is no drinking this time to cleanse for it.

Thanks

Timeline
Just as Ramadan is approaching I have a question if anyone can help

I finally found a mosque for hubby, close to us and easy for him to get to on his own.

He wants to get a Ramadan schedule...is there such a thing?

He says he needs to know when the time prior to Ramadan starts...starts with an Shaba...Shabam???...it's like 30 days before and supposedly there is no drinking this time to cleanse for it.

Thanks

It's supposed to start around August 21st or 22nd, although Morocco and the U.S. usually don't start on the same day, and my husband has to decide which country he will follow each year -- it's usually the U.S. these days.

As Ramadan gets closer, this is one site that will list local prayer and fasting times. I don't see the link there yet unless I'm overlooking it, but it's usually somewhere on the home page during Ramadan and just prior.

I'm the USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.