nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Salaam...

Also not a Ramadhan newbie, but this is going to be my first Ramadhan in the US, and first together with my husband (its gonna be his 2nd experience).. I wont be going home to celebrate Eid with my family this year (this is also a first) :crying::crying::crying: Will miss our extended family gathering every Ramadhan weekend to break fast and pray together, and Eid. So its just gonna be me and hubby. He's a trooper, and I'm sure he'll do okay this year too. Amin...

Sister I know how you feel!! Insha Allah we should always meet here to encourage each other and support one another and insha Allah it will be a very good experience :star::thumbs:

Sharifah- Alhamdulillah! you are right...I compare what I do for his sake and what He does for me...and I can only feel shame; but He is the most merciful and most forgiving :D

Thank you! :):star:

I'm Farha, by the way...

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey Farha, maybe sometime during Ramadan, you (and your husband) could come up to the Twin Cities, and get together with Sharifah and I (and my husband). I'm sure Sharifah knows of some places that have activities, and the masjid near my house usually has iftar on the weekends and taraweeh every night. And during the week, if you go to masjid al huda and hang around after maghrib, people give out coupons for free iftar at a local ME buffet. Last year, they also started accepting the coupons at the local afghan restaurant, and OMGosh, pizza to die for *faints* AbuS and I plan on going to masjid al huda every night during the week this year :whistle:

I can't offer a place to stay unfortunately (only a one bedroom apartment and a very demanding cat who would never let anyone sleep out on the couch), but we could do something fun and ramadan-y.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
Hey Farha, maybe sometime during Ramadan, you (and your husband) could come up to the Twin Cities, and get together with Sharifah and I (and my husband). I'm sure Sharifah knows of some places that have activities, and the masjid near my house usually has iftar on the weekends and taraweeh every night. And during the week, if you go to masjid al huda and hang around after maghrib, people give out coupons for free iftar at a local ME buffet. Last year, they also started accepting the coupons at the local afghan restaurant, and OMGosh, pizza to die for *faints* AbuS and I plan on going to masjid al huda every night during the week this year :whistle:

I can't offer a place to stay unfortunately (only a one bedroom apartment and a very demanding cat who would never let anyone sleep out on the couch), but we could do something fun and ramadan-y.

Salaam ya Farha, inshaAllah you could visit the Twin Cities during Ramadan. Many places serve iftar dinner and offer the taraweeh prayer. I was only able to make it to one of the taraweeh prayers at Dar el Farouq last year. There is a women who basically runs the women's area at Dar el Farouq, she is Malaysian too. She is married to an American.

Masjid al huda is closer (to me) and apparently as Rahma said, they offer coupons for iftar dinner, so I would definitely recommend going there. I used to go to Friday prayer there a couple of years ago, but unforunately I had to work again on Friday's so I was unable to continue going.

Sorry to say but I too am unable to put anyone up. My son and I live in our family home (that is until Ahmed get's here), but like Rahma said we could still do some fun Ramadany (love that word) thing.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

7 tips to improve your relationship with the Qur'an

Are you one of those people who rarely touches the Quran? Or do you read daily, but don't find it is having the impact on you that it should? Whatever the case may be, these are some simple tips that can help you connect with the Quran.

1. Before you touch it, check your heart

The key to really benefiting from the Quran is to check your heart first, before you even touch Allah's book. Ask yourself, honestly, why you are reading it. Is it to just get some information and to let it drift away from you later? Remember that the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) was described by his wife as a "walking Quran": in other words, he didn't just read and recite the Quran, he lived it.

2. Do your Wudu (ablution)

Doing your Wudu is good physical and mental preparation to remind you you're not reading just another book. You are about to interact with God, so being clean should be a priority when communicating with Him.

3. Read only 5 minutes everyday

Too often, we think we should read Quran for at least one whole hour. If you aren't in the habit of reading regularly, this is too much. Start off with just five minutes daily. If you took care of step one, Insha Allah (God willing), you will notice that those five minutes will become ten, then half an hour, then an hour, and maybe even more!

4. Make sure you understand what you've read

Five minutes of reading the Quran in Arabic is good, but you need to understand what you're reading. Make sure you have a good translation of the Quran in the language you understand best. Always try to read the translation of what you've read that day .

5. Remember, the Quran is more interactive than a CD

In an age of "interactive" CD-Roms and computer programs, a number of people think books are passive and boring. But the Quran is not like that. Remember that when you read Quran, you are interacting with Allah. He is talking to you, so pay attention.

6. Don't just read, listen too

There are now many audio cassettes and CDs of the Quran, a number of them with translations as well. This is great to put on your walkman or your car's CD or stereo as you drive to and from work. Use this in addition to your daily Quran reading, not as a replacement for it.

7. Make Dua (supplication)

Ask Allah to guide you when you read the Quran. Your aim is to sincerely, for the love of Allah, interact with Him by reading, understanding and applying His blessed words. Making Dua to Allah for help and guidance will be your best tool for doing this.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
Masjid al huda is closer (to me) and apparently as Rahma said, they offer coupons for iftar dinner, so I would definitely recommend going there. I used to go to Friday prayer there a couple of years ago, but unforunately I had to work again on Friday's so I was unable to continue going.

You haven't been there during Ramadan recently? After the whole debacle re: people bringing rowdy children to iftar, they started giving out coupons to Holyland and then subsequently Crescent Moon Bakery. From here on out, it just isn't ramadan without a holyland date and crescent moon afghan pizza :lol:

irhal.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

A couple weeks ago, there was a news story that Michael Jackson had converted to Islam, after learning about it from his brother Jermaine, who converted long ago... He had also been living recently in Bahrain, which has a high Muslim population, and reported that he had learned a lot about Islam that he agreed with, but I don't think it was ever clear whether or not he had actually become Muslim or not. Anyway, at the press conference tonight when Jermaine announced Michael's death, he said "May Allah be with you always, Michael"... Hmmm, maybe he converted after all?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
A couple weeks ago, there was a news story that Michael Jackson had converted to Islam, after learning about it from his brother Jermaine, who converted long ago... He had also been living recently in Bahrain, which has a high Muslim population, and reported that he had learned a lot about Islam that he agreed with, but I don't think it was ever clear whether or not he had actually become Muslim or not. Anyway, at the press conference tonight when Jermaine announced Michael's death, he said "May Allah be with you always, Michael"... Hmmm, maybe he converted after all?

I heard that Amy and so did my husband he turned to me and said are they Muslim? I told him exactly as you had said that he was learning about it but I wasn't sure if he converted or not.

Timeline

We'll see when his funeral comes.

To stear the topic in a slightly different direction, I wrote a quick piece yesterday about his death and reflecting on death. Reflecting on death, life in the grave, the day of judgment and the here after in general are all highly recommended activities that the Prophet (saws) would often do. When a celebrity dies, it is a good opportunity to be reminded of these things and to reflect on our own life and morality.

irhal.jpg

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I heard that Amy and so did my husband he turned to me and said are they Muslim? I told him exactly as you had said that he was learning about it but I wasn't sure if he converted or not.

I remember reading a year or two ago that he had indeed converted after talking with his brother and some other close friends; my husband and I discussed this at the time. In the OT thread yesterday, I was wondering whether he would receive an Islamic burial; obviously an autopsy is legally required because of the circumstances under which he died, so he couldn't be buried immediately, but I've been wondering what sort of provisions he might have made for his burial and how much would actually be feasible under the circumstances. I imagine fans will want him embalmed for a viewing, and I'm sure the family who is mostly non-Muslim will have their own wishes, but if he is buried in a simple shroud without a box and without being embalmed, that will speak volumes.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline

To stear the topic in a slightly different direction, I wrote a quick piece yesterday about his death and reflecting on death. Reflecting on death, life in the grave, the day of judgment and the here after in general are all highly recommended activities that the Prophet (saws) would often do. When a celebrity dies, it is a good opportunity to be reminded of these things and to reflect on our own life and morality.

Good article, Rahma.

Yesterday evening, I had the television on when they moved MJ's body from the helicopter to the coroner's van to be transported to the coroner's office, and the sight of him wrapped in that plain, white sheet like any other deceased person was striking.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline

Another thought - he died with $400 million in debts and was clearly living beyond his means. There also other *ahem* possible sins that he commited in the past against other people.

We are constantly reminded to repent for our sins. If the sin is against yourself or Allah (swt), you ask Allah (swt)'s forgiveness, refrain from the sin, regret it and vow not to do it again.

However, if your sin is against another person, you must, in addition to the above, also set things right with that person.

If you do not, that person will have the right on the day of judgment to take some of your good deeds as recompence.

irhal.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Another thought - he died with $400 million in debts and was clearly living beyond his means. There also other *ahem* possible sins that he commited in the past against other people.

We are constantly reminded to repent for our sins. If the sin is against yourself or Allah (swt), you ask Allah (swt)'s forgiveness, refrain from the sin, regret it and vow not to do it again.

However, if your sin is against another person, you must, in addition to the above, also set things right with that person.

If you do not, that person will have the right on the day of judgment to take some of your good deeds as recompence.

word! :thumbs:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

Good article, Rahma.

Yesterday evening, I had the television on when they moved MJ's body from the helicopter to the coroner's van to be transported to the coroner's office, and the sight of him wrapped in that plain, white sheet like any other deceased person was striking.

Thank you :star:

It is striking. When you die, what use is your fame and your money? We're all heading the same place - the grave, and those things aren't going to help us once we get there.

Now I have this song running through my head

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Zaid Shakir has issued a statement about the passing of MJ and wrote that heard from a reliable source that MJ did in fact convert.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Slightly off topic, but wanted to ask. Last night Hubby and I got into it a little over snorting. I tend to snort when I laugh sometimes and he gets upset that I do that, even though I can't always control that. He then told me that if I were to pray, when I snorted my prayers wouldn't be accepted for 40 days after. What's up with that?! I'm constantly having Hadith thrown at me, but am never sure it's actually true or misunderstood. Anyone?

Got married : 6-3-06

I-130 delivered : 6-12-06 - Appt in Cairo

I-130 Approved : 4-18-08 - USCIS approval!!

Visa Interview Date : 6-22-08

Case sent to WADC: 8-6-08 - FBI check

Email From Embassy 1-09 - Still in AP (7 months)

19 DHL scans - 2-19-09

1-26-09 - Out of AP, now final review

2-26-09 - Visa in hand!

3-11-09 - POE JFK - Got stuck there due to immigration taking too long. They didn't change his visa from CR1 to IR1, have to go to immigration here to fix it.

3-12-09 - Arrived in Portland!!

5-29-2010 - Zane was born ** Absolute best day of my life!

6-7-2010 - Ahmed went back to Egypt

8-23-11 - Filed for divorce

1-12-12 - Divorce final

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.