nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This will be my second Ramadan this year. It will be a lonely one for me because my husband will take his last trip for a year or so back to Egypt for two months in August. I will probably have to come to this site for lots of inspiration. I know HLM, Ramadan here is very different than in Egypt. I hope that you and your hubby can start your own traditions this year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Tomorrow or Wednesday is most likely the first day of Rajab. Do you know what that means? That means next month is Shaban, and after that it's Ramadan! Only 2 months left to prepare!

Last year, I found some articles on the month of Rajab. Rajab is traditionally a month of increased fasting. According to the Messenger (saws) of Allah (swt), Rajab is the month of Allah (swt). And, it is most likely the month in which our beloved Prophet (saws) was taken up to the heavens and given the order of the 5 salat from Allah (swt) Himself.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

A dua to make during Rajab and Shaban from the blessed Prophet (saws), found in the hadith collections of at-Tabarani and Ahmed:

Allahumma baariklanaa fee rajabi wa sha'ban wa ballignaa shara ramadan

O Allah! Bless us in the holy months of Rajab and Sha'ban and make us reach the holy month of Ramadan!

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have not yet converted, can I still post here? I hope so I have sooooooooo many questions. I have sent offline messages to some of you and you have been very very helpful, thank you!

I have to say, this feels like the lonliest thing I have ever done, the reason I say that, is he is in Egypt, and I only know 1 Muslim, she is just recently converted and still 'in training' for lack of better word. OK, enough of my pity party. Would any of you be willing to share your experiences? Tell me how you learned everything? did you have a 'teacher'? What books did you read? etc. I am currently reading 3 books, they are Islamic Manners, Women in Islam, and 'Islam for Dummies', that is not the real name but something like that. And of course the Quran, online. He told me not to buy the Quran he has one he wants to give to me. I have tried to look locals up on the internet. I did find a Womans group, but apparently that was old info and the phone and email are not current.

I saw a lady in the store the other day who was I assume Muslim, her hair was covered as well as long sleeves etc, I wanted to run up to her and ask her 1000 questions, but decided that was not too good of an idea. LOL Thank you in advance for any advice, stories, direction etc.

Timeline

Anyone is welcome to participate, so long as they keep with the spirit of the thread - that is, they don't come here to bash Islam :star:

I can't remember which of these I may have told you about before, so I'll just write everything down again :lol:

Finding someone to talk to:

Islamicfinder - stick your zipcode in, and inshaAllah find a masjid in your area, if there is one.

WhyIslam Visit a masjid - a volunteer service that will do their best to set you up with someone in your area to visist a masjid. They may not have anyone in your area, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. They also have a help line that you can call and ask your 1000 questions :)

To read:

Submission Faith & Beauty - my favorite introduction to Islam. Very easy to read, covers all the basics

Treatise for the Seekers of Guidance - a translation and commentary on a classical text that seeks to bring change into our practice and lives.

to Listen to:

Foundations of the Deen - a truly excellent CD series that cover the basics - islam, iman and ihsan.

to watch:

- a concise video offering advice to a new convert

online learning:

Sunnipath - excellent courses on the basics, as well as more indepth studies for later on

WhyIslam's Islam 101 - free youtube courses on the basics.

There are more on my converts resource page.

As for the Qur'an, well, my theory is that you can never have too many qurans :lol: I don't think there are a lot of english translations of the Qur'an available in english, so it wouldn't hurt to purchase one or 2 (or 10 or 12) here in the states as well. I have a beautiful arabic only quran that I received from AbuS as a wedding present from Egypt, but it doesn't do me much good to actually know what the Qur'an says, as my arabic is substandard.

100_1651.jpg

I've managed to acquire another 2 or 3 since I took this picture a month ago :whistle:

irhal.jpg

Timeline
Anyone is welcome to participate, so long as they keep with the spirit of the thread - that is, they don't come here to bash Islam :star:

I can't remember which of these I may have told you about before, so I'll just write everything down again :lol:

Finding someone to talk to:

[url=http://islamicfinder.org/]Islamicfinder[/url] - stick your zipcode in, and inshaAllah find a masjid in your area, if there is one.

WhyIslam Visit a masjid - a volunteer service that will do their best to set you up with someone in your area to visist a masjid. They may not have anyone in your area, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. They also have a help line that you can call and ask your 1000 questions :)

To read:

Submission Faith & Beauty - my favorite introduction to Islam. Very easy to read, covers all the basicsTreatise for the Seekers of Guidance - a translation and commentary on a classical text that seeks to bring change into our practice and lives.

to Listen to:

Foundations of the Deen - a truly excellent CD series that cover the basics - islam, iman and ihsan.

to watch:

- a concise video offering advice to a new convert

online learning:

Sunnipath - excellent courses on the basics, as well as more indepth studies for later on

WhyIslam's Islam 101 - free youtube courses on the basics.

There are more on my converts resource page.

As for the Qur'an, well, my theory is that you can never have too many qurans :lol: I don't think there are a lot of english translations of the Qur'an available in english, so it wouldn't hurt to purchase one or 2 (or 10 or 12) here in the states as well. I have a beautiful arabic only quran that I received from AbuS as a wedding present from Egypt, but it doesn't do me much good to actually know what the Qur'an says, as my arabic is substandard.

100_1651.jpg

I've managed to acquire another 2 or 3 since I took this picture a month ago :whistle:

yes, I have used the sites I bolded by your suggestion, of course. :) thank you again. i will order a few more books you have recommended here and check out these sites, thank you again!

very impressive collection, this may be a stupid question, but are all those Qurans the same? as in written the same?

Timeline

Let me know what books you get :)

All the arabic in the Qur'an is basically the same. There are 7 different ways of reading the Qur'an (called qiraat), which in turn render slightly different vowel markings on a few words, because of different pronunciations. Most english translations are based on the hafs reading. The 5th one from the top, the Noble Qur'an, is based on the warsh reading. That's the only english translation that I'm aware of that uses a reading other than hafs.

The english translations are all different. One of the reasons why it's so emphasized to learn arabic is that it's so difficult to capture the full meaning of the arabic when trying to render it into english. If I has several different translations, as well as commentary in front of me when I'm studying, I can see different aspects of a word highlighted differently by different translaters. That helps me to get a fuller sense of what the word actually means.

irhal.jpg

I have not yet converted, can I still post here? I hope so I have sooooooooo many questions. I have sent offline messages to some of you and you have been very very helpful, thank you!

I have to say, this feels like the lonliest thing I have ever done, the reason I say that, is he is in Egypt, and I only know 1 Muslim, she is just recently converted and still 'in training' for lack of better word. OK, enough of my pity party. Would any of you be willing to share your experiences? Tell me how you learned everything? did you have a 'teacher'? What books did you read? etc. I am currently reading 3 books, they are Islamic Manners, Women in Islam, and 'Islam for Dummies', that is not the real name but something like that. And of course the Quran, online. He told me not to buy the Quran he has one he wants to give to me. I have tried to look locals up on the internet. I did find a Womans group, but apparently that was old info and the phone and email are not current.

I saw a lady in the store the other day who was I assume Muslim, her hair was covered as well as long sleeves etc, I wanted to run up to her and ask her 1000 questions, but decided that was not too good of an idea. LOL Thank you in advance for any advice, stories, direction etc.

Salaam!

For me, in the beginning, it helped a lot to hear about what drew others to Islam, and their "conversion stories". I found this online, but haven't read through them. Thought they might be helpful to you though. Peace!

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satell...slam/DIESection

Timeline

Salaam!

For me, in the beginning, it helped a lot to hear about what drew others to Islam, and their "conversion stories". I found this online, but haven't read through them. Thought they might be helpful to you though. Peace!

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satell...slam/DIESection

thank you, I will check this site out.

Salaam...

Also not a Ramadhan newbie, but this is going to be my first Ramadhan in the US, and first together with my husband (its gonna be his 2nd experience).. I wont be going home to celebrate Eid with my family this year (this is also a first) :crying::crying::crying: Will miss our extended family gathering every Ramadhan weekend to break fast and pray together, and Eid. So its just gonna be me and hubby. He's a trooper, and I'm sure he'll do okay this year too. Amin...

.png

Timeline
Aw man, I still have six days to make up from LAST Ramadan. It's so hard to think of doing when there's 17.5 hours between Fajr and Maghrib...

Just think of Allah, sub7anahu wa ta3la and how blessed you are. Also remember, that this is required of us as Muslims. Ramadan is a way to move you closer from the worldly things and get your closer to God. It's a time of self sacrifice, purifing the soul and re-focus on God. I really look forward to Ramadan every year and yes it will be more difficult then last year, but al7amdulillah we are blessed always by Allah (swt). This is a small sacrifice, when I think of all the things Allah (swt) blesses me everyday.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Salaam...

Also not a Ramadhan newbie, but this is going to be my first Ramadhan in the US, and first together with my husband (its gonna be his 2nd experience).. I wont be going home to celebrate Eid with my family this year (this is also a first) :crying::crying::crying: Will miss our extended family gathering every Ramadhan weekend to break fast and pray together, and Eid. So its just gonna be me and hubby. He's a trooper, and I'm sure he'll do okay this year too. Amin...

Sister I know how you feel!! Insha Allah we should always meet here to encourage each other and support one another and insha Allah it will be a very good experience :star::thumbs:

Sharifah- Alhamdulillah! you are right...I compare what I do for his sake and what He does for me...and I can only feel shame; but He is the most merciful and most forgiving :D

Edited by HLM
lyrics.jpg

Timeline

Rajab Mubarak!

From Crescent Watch:

The new moon for the month of Rajab was sighted on the evening of Tuesday, June 23, by reliable witnesses in Texas, Florida, and in the San Francisco Bay Area, California, as well is in other locations across the North American mainland. As such, Wednesday, June 24 is the first day of Rajab.

May Allah usher in the new month with security (amn) and faith (iman) and peace (salamah) and submission to Allah (islam).Last Updated: June 23, 2009 23:31 PST

Posted: June 23, 2009 23:30 PST

From IslamCrunch:

This is an excerpt from the book Kanz Al-Najah wa As-Suroor (”The Treasures of Success and Happiness”), a book highlighting the special qualities of each month. As the blessed and holy month of Rajab approaches (please check your local sightings or mosques to know when the month of Rajab begins in your area (Check CrescentWatch), hopefully this information will be of use in allowing us all to appreciate it and benefit from it:

So, my dear friend, put forth a great effort in the month of Rajab, may Allah have mercy on you. It is the season of great profits, so take advantage of your time! Whoever is spiritually sick due to their sins - know that the medicine has come.

* Know that Rajab is a virtuous month in which worship is gloriously rewarded - especially fasting and seeking repentance (istighfar).

* Also, making du’a during the eve of the first of Rajab is highly recommended. The Prophet, peace and mercy be upon him, said, “There are five nights in which du’a (supplication) is not rejected: the eve of Rajab, the 15th night of Sha’aban, the eve of Friday, on the eve of Eid Al-Fitr, and on the eve of Eid Al-Adha.” [Al-Suyuti in his Al-Jami'].

* On the 27th night of Rajab, the Prophet, peace and mercy be upon him, was taken on the Isra wa Mi’raj (The Night Journey and Ascension to the Heavens). This was a great and glorious night, as is known to most Muslims, in which the Prophet, peace and mercy be upon him, met his Lord and was given the commandment to perform the 5 daily prayers.

* Rajab is one of the four sacred months mentioned in the Quran (the four months are : Rajab, Dhul Qi’da, Dhul Hijjah, and Muharram):

{The number of months is twelve according to God, in the decree of God, on the day God created the heavens and the earth; and four of them are sacred} (9:36)

* Rajab is Allah’s month in which He pours His Mercy upon the penitent and He accepts the actions that people have done for His sake. The Prophet, peace and mercy be upon him, said, “Rajab is the month of Allah, and Sha’aban is my month, and Ramadan is the month of my Ummah.” (Imam Al-Suyuti in Al-Jami).

* Scholars say: Rajab is the month of repentance (istighfar), and Sha’aban is the month of sending peace and mercy (salawat/durood shareef) upon the Prophet, and Ramadan is the month of Qur’an.

* One highly recommended act to do is say 70 times after the Fajr and ‘Isha prayers every morning and night of Rajab:

Transliteration: “Allahuma ighfir li wa Arhamni wa tub ‘alayya.”

Translation: Oh Allah forgive me, have mercy upon me, and grant me repentance.

* Sayyidna ‘Ali, may Allah be well pleased with him, used to allocate extra amounts of time for worship on four nights - the first night of Rajab, the nights before the two Eids, and the 15th night of Sha’aban.

* It is also highly recommended to say the following Prophetic prayer (known as Sayyid Al-Istighfar or the Master of Repentance) 3 times every morning and every evening in Rajab:

Transliteration: Allahuma anta rabi la ilaha illa ant, khalaqtani wa ana ‘abduk, wa ana ‘ala ‘ahdika wa wa’adika ma astata’at, ‘authu bika min shar ma san’at, abu’u laka bi ni’matika ‘allaya wa abu’u bi dhanbi, faqhfir li fa’innahu la yaghfir al-dhunub ila anta.

Translation: O Allah, you are my Lord, and there is no god but you. You created me and I am your servant, and I am upon the convenant to the best of my ability. I seek refuge in you from the evil I have brought upon myself. I admit all the blessings you have given me and I admit my sins, so forgive me, for no one can forgive sins save You.

And success is from Allah

Posted via email from IslamCrunch

Our gratitude to Sidi Amjad Tarsin for compiling this post and all the other posts about the Islamic months.

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.