nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

The kind of segregation and lesser accomodations accorded to women in many masjids is not Sunnah, nor endorsed in the Quran. Many times, the excuse used is that men are obligated to attend masjid, and women are not, which is true. However, when woman attended masjid in Mecca, they were treated as respected members and not shuttled off to a far corner or separate room. This practice is cultural, encouraged by the fact that few women in MENA attend masjid, so the men took over.

When I was growing up, masjids were not segregated, and on Sunday, women didn't even have to wear hijab to attend classes. Oh, how things have changed!

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've been waiting to get my hands on Agenda to Change our Condition for years, and it's finally back in print! For those looking for a practical program of improving their practice, increasing their taqwa and Love of Allah (swt), and incorporating islam into their lives, this is a great place to start.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

What masjids couldn't you go in? I remember all the major ones - Al Azhar, Hussein, Amr ibn al As, Sayyida Zaynab, Sayyida Nafisa - all had women's sections.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
What masjids couldn't you go in? I remember all the major ones - Al Azhar, Hussein, Amr ibn al As, Sayyida Zaynab, Sayyida Nafisa - all had women's sections.

I can't remember what it was called, I could ask my husband the next time I talk to him. We were walking by it one time and it was time to pray, I asked him if he wanted to go in and pray, and he said no because women weren't allowed inside. The other time was at the Muhammed Ali mosque in the Citadel, where people aren't really supposed to be praying anyway, but there was a group of men doing salat and I jokingly said something about going over behind them and doing it to, and Ahmed told me that that was soooo not okay to do, that I have to be in a separate room, etc. I don't really accept that.

Timeline

I can't remember what it was called, I could ask my husband the next time I talk to him. We were walking by it one time and it was time to pray, I asked him if he wanted to go in and pray, and he said no because women weren't allowed inside. The other time was at the Muhammed Ali mosque in the Citadel, where people aren't really supposed to be praying anyway, but there was a group of men doing salat and I jokingly said something about going over behind them and doing it to, and Ahmed told me that that was soooo not okay to do, that I have to be in a separate room, etc. I don't really accept that.

Yeah, I totally wanted to take a picture of me like this at Muhammad Ali, but alas, too many people milling around. It's sad that a masjid can no longer be used for prayer :angry:

Malcolm_X_-_mosque.jpg

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Yeah, I totally wanted to take a picture of me like this at Muhammad Ali, but alas, too many people milling around. It's sad that a masjid can no longer be used for prayer :angry:

Malcolm_X_-_mosque.jpg

I agree it is very sad to no longer use a masjid for it's purpose. Awesome pic by the way ya Rahma.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

Do we have any ramadan newbies in the house? It's coming up quick, only 2 months left to prepare. Ramadan vets, share your experiences and tips!

O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may (learn) self-restraint (2:183)

The month of Ramadan is that in which the Quran was revealed, a guidance to men and clear proofs of the guidance and the distinction; therefore whoever of you is present in the month, he shall fast therein, and whoever is sick or upon a journey, then (he shall fast) a (like) number of other days; Allah desires ease for you, and He does not desire for you difficulty, and (He desires) that you should complete the number and that you should exalt the greatness of Allah for His having guided you and that you may give thanks. (2:185)

Ramadan - why should you fast?

9 reasons to plan for Ramadan

General Fiqh of Fasting

Inner Dimensions of Fasting

So here's my advice - START EARLY! Like RIGHT NOW! If you've never fasted before...heck, even if you've fasted before, jumping head first into Ramadan without preparation is a recipe for disaster.

1. Start fasting now. Yes, the days are long. Really really long. But if you can fast in the midst of summer, you can fast Ramadan. Mondays and Thursdays are days the Prophet (saws) fasted. The "white days" of the islamic month, ie the 13th-15th, are also days the Prophet (saws) fasted. These are the 13th through 15th of the islamic months, not the gregorian calendar

2. Start slow. If fasting gives you troubles, build up. Start by fasting until noon. Then 12:30, then 1, etc etc etc. It's better to work out all the kinks now, so you don't fall flat on your face in Ramadan.

3. Get your prayers in order! If you start to pray regularly now, then you'll be able to add more worship during Ramadan. Prayers are the foundation of the deen - if you haven't invested in a firm foundation, everything else you try to build will be shakey.

4. Start reading Qur'an every day. It is traditional to read 1/30th of the Qur'an each day in Ramadan. But if you're not used to reading the Qur'an outside of Ramadan, this task can seem waaay too hard. Start now, even if for 2 or 3 minutes.

irhal.jpg

Do we have any ramadan newbies in the house? It's coming up quick, only 2 months left to prepare. Ramadan vets, share your experiences and tips!

O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may (learn) self-restraint (2:183)

The month of Ramadan is that in which the Quran was revealed, a guidance to men and clear proofs of the guidance and the distinction; therefore whoever of you is present in the month, he shall fast therein, and whoever is sick or upon a journey, then (he shall fast) a (like) number of other days; Allah desires ease for you, and He does not desire for you difficulty, and (He desires) that you should complete the number and that you should exalt the greatness of Allah for His having guided you and that you may give thanks. (2:185)

Ramadan - why should you fast?

9 reasons to plan for Ramadan

General Fiqh of Fasting

Inner Dimensions of Fasting

So here's my advice - START EARLY! Like RIGHT NOW! If you've never fasted before...heck, even if you've fasted before, jumping head first into Ramadan without preparation is a recipe for disaster.

1. Start fasting now. Yes, the days are long. Really really long. But if you can fast in the midst of summer, you can fast Ramadan. Mondays and Thursdays are days the Prophet (saws) fasted. The "white days" of the islamic month, ie the 13th-15th, are also days the Prophet (saws) fasted. These are the 13th through 15th of the islamic months, not the gregorian calendar

2. Start slow. If fasting gives you troubles, build up. Start by fasting until noon. Then 12:30, then 1, etc etc etc. It's better to work out all the kinks now, so you don't fall flat on your face in Ramadan.

3. Get your prayers in order! If you start to pray regularly now, then you'll be able to add more worship during Ramadan. Prayers are the foundation of the deen - if you haven't invested in a firm foundation, everything else you try to build will be shakey.

4. Start reading Qur'an every day. It is traditional to read 1/30th of the Qur'an each day in Ramadan. But if you're not used to reading the Qur'an outside of Ramadan, this task can seem waaay too hard. Start now, even if for 2 or 3 minutes.

Thanks for the tips. This will be my second year attempting to follow the requirements of Ramadan.

I know I don't have to but being that I am married to a Muslim I like to show him that respect and think there isn't any harm in me doing it.

First time with us living together during the full Ramadan season

Edited by Sandrila

Timeline
ilovemuhammad.jpg

irhal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Not a Ramadan newbie but I feel like one every year :P

I don't know, just doesn't feel the same here as in Saudi.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

This will be my second Ramadan, and the majority of it will be spent in Egypt... I am kind of scared. 12+ hours in 100 degree heat with no water? are you kidding me? This Oregonian girl is gonna pass out. Anyway, I am a little bummed because I have to come back to the US RIGHT before Eid for some mandatory school stuff. I am sad that I won't get to experience Eid in a place where it is celebrated so vigorously, and instead will have to return to Oregon where people think Eid is rapper lingo.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Jazaki Allah Khayr Rahma....This will be my first Ramadan in the US; I'm so excited and I want to see how it feels here even though; unfortunately I don't think I will be able to fast due to pregnancy :crying: It will feel weird not fasting; never happened before to me but alhamdulillah for everything. But I will do everything else I usually did in that holy month anyways.

lyrics.jpg

Timeline

On the way home from a sisters' halaqa this evening I hit a huuuuuge bird with my car. When we got into a town, I pulled over and got out to check out the damages... Found that the bird was STILL WEDGED INTO MY GRILL. AAAH. hahah. I am not typically squeamish (I mean, we dissected cats in my Anatomy class) but I was so afraid that I'd grab it to pull it out and it would start kicking it's little feet or something. We huddled together and laughed nervously, trying to figure out whether, and how, we would pull the thing out of the grill. Our daughters were freaking out in the back seat, because apparently they really wanted to see the dead bird?! Anyway, we completely lucked out and a Muslim guy who was driving by saw us there and came and gave us a hand and retrieved the bird for us. I guess a couple hijabis huddling together in front of a car on the side of the road in the near-dark was enough to draw his attention :P I was kind of surprised, though, because we don't have a huge Muslim population in our area. Anyway, thank god it is out of my car now and I don't have to deal with it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.