nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

the way i look at this .the law is still her but the most thing bother me is if som stuiped muslim did bad thing the mean you have to jude all muslim is bad

i hop it get batter but

idid nt ask to be arab i just got lucky

Salam,

Just thought a chat for Muslims would be helpful. I am constantly wondering if that may come up on the radar for the approval and if that may delay but alas it doesn't help to worry about such things as there is nothing I can change I am who I am Hamdolah. Looking for the support of others facing the same challenges or anyone interested in participating... all are welcome to chime in

everything that happening at this moment is a RESULT of the CHOICE you ve made in the past...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
It's my understanding that the hadith says simply "one who drinks wine," with nothing said about being an alcoholic or not.

It also doesn't specify a single haram incident, but references several, indicating habitual use.

It speaks about someone drinking on 4 occasions. If that's alcoholism, then just about everyone I know is an alcoholic.

Also, it doesn't say that one is punished only after the repeated drinking, but rather again after each occasion. So even after the first drink, one is punished.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
I have a question. I'm not Muslim. I don't know any converts personally so I figured that I would throw it out here. For all of you who converted, was it hard for you to adopt a whole new way of thinking about religion, especially after being raised Christians? How did you just stop believing everything that had been instilled on you? Was it hard to change your way of thinking and especially your views on Jesus?

BTW, I'm not bringing this up to stir the pot. I just genuinely would like to know how others feel.

I deconverted almost a year before I converted to Islam, so I had lost a lot of the beliefs I had held in christinaity long before I accepted Islam. My deconversion came because I studied the history of the compliation of the bible (at a good Lutheran university no less), and lost faith that it could be the revealed word of God. Even coming from a rather liberal christian background that has come to terms with this history, I didn't feel that I could follow a religion that did not have a book preserved from the Divine.

In accepting Islam, I didn't lose Jesus (as), I kept him. In the end of my christian life, I had already thought of him simply as a good teacher, someone who taught God's will, but not a part of the Godhead. As a muslim, I could bring him back into my belief system and revere him as a prophet of God.

One thing that is different and has been a concious effort to incorporate into my life is taqwa. Taqwa is often translated as fear of God, but I think a better, all encompassing translation is God Conciousness. It is being aware of Allah (swt) every single second of every single day, knowing that He sees all your actions, fearing that you will act in a way that displeases Him, and hoping for His Mercy. Every one of my actions should be soley for His pleasure. To live in complete submission to the Almighty is definitely something new.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
I have a question. I'm not Muslim. I don't know any converts personally so I figured that I would throw it out here. For all of you who converted, was it hard for you to adopt a whole new way of thinking about religion, especially after being raised Christians? How did you just stop believing everything that had been instilled on you? Was it hard to change your way of thinking and especially your views on Jesus?

BTW, I'm not bringing this up to stir the pot. I just genuinely would like to know how others feel.

Well I was raised in a strong Christian family. We were non denominational and my father and brothers where very invloved in ministry as well as my mom was a teacher. I was a teacher for Sunday school for many years. The one thing that gave me pause was that when the Bible was discussed it was done with taking of each scriputure and delving so deep into those words. The funny thing is when I went to Christian college as well I learned the truth of how each book of the New Testament was discovered, translated from this language to that language to English . How they were put together to be called The Holy Bible.. it made me question..

When I did become Muslim it was hard at first to profess Jesus as not being Son of God and in prayer to not ever say "in Jesus Name" all this was so second hand for me. But when I discovered how the prayer was in Islam and I realized how beautifull it was I was praying directly to God. Also the fact that I already new about all the prophets before, like Abraham (Ibrahim), Moses (Musa), Noah (Nuah) so this was not so hard . Also as I slowly learned how imprt ant and respected Jesus (Isa) is in Isalm, in the Quran I realized who he really was.

The same morals I learned as a Christian are the same in Islam, the same Charity, kindness etc is the same. The big difference to me is that in Islam there are even more guide lines for living our life. And all of them make sense.

The things installed in me are almost the same except that I now know Jesus true idetnity. And I now eat beef bacon.. And there are even more miracles from Allah than I realized. And I know that there are other aspects of my life that could have been better if I had known all this before.

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
It's my understanding that the hadith says simply "one who drinks wine," with nothing said about being an alcoholic or not.

It also doesn't specify a single haram incident, but references several, indicating habitual use.

It speaks about someone drinking on 4 occasions. If that's alcoholism, then just about everyone I know is an alcoholic.

Also, it doesn't say that one is punished only after the repeated drinking, but rather again after each occasion. So even after the first drink, one is punished.

If interpretation of ahadith in context with the Quran was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Oh, wait! Everyone is!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
My deconversion came because I studied the history of the compliation of the bible (at a good Lutheran university no less), and lost faith that it could be the revealed word of God. Even coming from a rather liberal christian background that has come to terms with this history, I didn't feel that I could follow a religion that did not have a book preserved from the Divine.

That's similar to my situation in that when I lost faith that the bible could be the revealed word of God it came pretty clear to me. It's not that I just forgot years and years of Catholicism but moreso it kind of melted away from me allowing me to be open to Islam. I won't say it wasn't easy dealing with Christmas and Easter with the family but like one of my favorite songs says, "The less I seek my source for some definitive, the closer I am to fine" :)

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I appreciate all of your honesty. I have read arguments for Islam vs. Christianity and alot of it made sense. There are some parts of it (Islam) that I still struggle with understanding. Thanks again for the responses.

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I appreciate all of your honesty. I have read arguments for Islam vs. Christianity and alot of it made sense. There are some parts of it (Islam) that I still struggle with understanding. Thanks again for the responses.

Also wanted to add that Islam isn't for everyone. I mean Christianity and Islam are not the only options. There's Buddism (sp?), Hindu, Judaism, etc. I remember someone had put up a link to a site that had a questionaire and at the end it kind of told you what you're leaning towards in terms of what you believe in. I know that's no help since I don't have the link but it might be a place to start. I think it's healthy to look at all that is out there before making a decision. Once I had started questioning Catholicism and the Pope specifically I think I attended every denomination of Christianity that existed. It was kind of fun shopping around a bit. I'm too cranky and b!tchy to be a Buddhist and I just don't get Hinduism. I looked into Judaism during high school just because most of my friends were jewish but I didn't want to learn a new language to read the Torah so that was the end of that. lol

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I actually took an online quiz one time to find out what which religion was best suited for me and they told me that I most identified with Judaism...interesting. :-)

I looked into it (Judaism) to see what their beliefs were and I didn't agree with all of it either.

I agree that Islam isn't for everybody. Especially if you aren't ready to accept or believe all of it. I guess that goes in any religion though.

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Timeline
Forgive me, sis. That was not a proper response that is my fault alone. I get frustrated sometimes, but I shouldn't allow it show. Sorry :(

It's ok. It's a struggle trying to maintain adab online. I'm trying to keep in mind that every word I say (and type) will be presented to me on the day of judgment. I'm not keen to have to replay every internet argument I've ever had in front of Allah (swt), the angels and everyone else, so I'm trying hard not to make things into a huge mess, lol.

In the end, it comes down to drinking is haram, it's bad, so don't do it, ha. But if you do, make tawbah. And even if you don't, still make tawbah. Make tawbah a habit :star:

irhal.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Also wanted to add that Islam isn't for everyone. I mean Christianity and Islam are not the only options. There's Buddism (sp?), Hindu, Judaism, etc. I remember someone had put up a link to a site that had a questionaire and at the end it kind of told you what you're leaning towards in terms of what you believe in. I know that's no help since I don't have the link but it might be a place to start. I think it's healthy to look at all that is out there before making a decision. Once I had started questioning Catholicism and the Pope specifically I think I attended every denomination of Christianity that existed. It was kind of fun shopping around a bit. I'm too cranky and b!tchy to be a Buddhist and I just don't get Hinduism. I looked into Judaism during high school just because most of my friends were jewish but I didn't want to learn a new language to read the Torah so that was the end of that. lol

I think this is a bold claim. I never understood this. When I was submerged in Islam I believed, and was told Islam IS for everyone. Plus, if you (not specifically humkinpumpkin... ANYONE) are a Muslim and you believe it is the true religion, shouldn't you also believe Islam is for everyone? Wouldn't other religions such as Christianity, Hinduism and Buddhism lead people to shirk? Isn't that a BIG No No in Islam?

I became a Muslim in April of 2007. I did this because I wanted to be closer to God. I believed that Islam offered that. I didn't really give up any of my beliefs to become a Muslim. I never bought into Christianity anyway. I just believed/still believe in God. I "deconverted" from Islam recently. I cannot bring myself to be a part of a religion that "empowers" women through submission, believes the Qu'ran is the final absolute word of God, but needs scholars (from many different schools of thought) to give me different interpretations of God's word, and uses EXTRA material to "fill in the gaps" the Qur'an doesn't cover. I'm sorry, but if the Qur'an is indeed the FINAL ABSOLUTE word of God, there would be no need for all that extra stuff. God does not make mistakes. There is no "P.S" at the end of the Qur'an. (Sorry, but that really bothered me).

I personally don't think religion is necessary for me to believe in God and serve Him. I don't think there is anything wrong with practicing a religion as long as it brings you closer to that higher being the whole world seems to believe in. I am a believer in God. The end. I don't want to be a part of religion because religion pushes me farther away from God.

12531741_bodyshot_300x400.gif6783001_bodyshot_300x400.gif

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

th_l_c84498a71b1eeba4d00cd9963dd0a85a.gif

kb7wan37jt.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think this is a bold claim. I never understood this. When I was submerged in Islam I believed, and was told Islam IS for everyone. Plus, if you (not specifically humkinpumpkin... ANYONE) are a Muslim and you believe it is the true religion, shouldn't you also believe Islam is for everyone? Wouldn't other religions such as Christianity, Hinduism and Buddhism lead people to shirk? Isn't that a BIG No No in Islam?

I became a Muslim in April of 2007. I did this because I wanted to be closer to God. I believed that Islam offered that. I didn't really give up any of my beliefs to become a Muslim. I never bought into Christianity anyway. I just believed/still believe in God. I "deconverted" from Islam recently. I cannot bring myself to be a part of a religion that "empowers" women through submission, believes the Qu'ran is the final absolute word of God, but needs scholars (from many different schools of thought) to give me different interpretations of God's word, and uses EXTRA material to "fill in the gaps" the Qur'an doesn't cover. I'm sorry, but if the Qur'an is indeed the FINAL ABSOLUTE word of God, there would be no need for all that extra stuff. God does not make mistakes. There is no "P.S" at the end of the Qur'an. (Sorry, but that really bothered me).

I personally don't think religion is necessary for me to believe in God and serve Him. I don't think there is anything wrong with practicing a religion as long as it brings you closer to that higher being the whole world seems to believe in. I am a believer in God. The end. I don't want to be a part of religion because religion pushes me farther away from God.

I know I am new here, I hope I am not going to start a storm here, but I am curious, what does that mean?

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Doesn't it mean simply that religion is man made, yet God is truly great? You don't have to be religious to believe in God, or a creator. Religion is rapidly being discarded by many people as lots of the rules seem to make no sense. God wouldn't make mistakes, would he? God wouldn't want people wasting endless time debating which foot t enter a bathroom with, would he?

If you are of one of the Abrahamic religions, in today's society, isn't it necessary to have tolerance? Or should we only expect that for our own beliefs? If you can't recognise that your view of God or Allah is just that - YOUR view, can you demand respect for your own faith, yet extend none to others?

The Islam I see from some on this site is all about dogma and rules and lacks heart, empathy and generosity. The beautiful sentiments and ideas are drowned in a sea of smug, righteous stupidity.

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

When I was submerged in Islam I believed, and was told Islam IS for everyone.

This is one of the most ridiculous, misleading statements, but typical of some religions to pitch their sales net as wide as possible. Islam isn't for me. It wasn't for you. It isn't for most people I know. It is only for you if you WANT it to be. Like any faith, it is matter of choice, if you are fortunate enough to grow up in a country that gives you religious freedom.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.