nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline
I'm a muslim and I based what I said on my own family and friends experience. if a Muslim women wear hijab she is more likely to be a good practisant,

but not always true, some may wear hijab because they are forced too by the society or husbands. and some may choose not wear it because they are forced to, I know a girl that use to wear hijab and took it off so she can get a job. a friend of mine his name is Othman was a honor student we graduate at the same time he couldn't get a job because he wear islamic men dress. I advise him to take it off because it wasn't required for him, plus he need to pay his bills and thats a priority.

Islam is easy and have option and if you chose to complicate you won't hurt no body but your self.

Until all women are not forced to cover, hijab will always be a subject for intense debate. What makes me despair is that in countries where women have fought long and hard for respect and rights, SOME women are willing to disrespect the precious freedoms earned so readily - for the sake of pandering to aspects of their husband's culture that they often don't truly believe. These same women are often the main earners in their families, (hardly 'Islamic' is it? ) while their husbands lecture them on Islam and try to impose their culture on the marriage at the expense of the woman's.

I am sick of reading about how Islam afforded women rights centuries ago, as though it were some great champion for equality today. We have mostly all moved on, yet centuries and centuries later, women in Saudi Arabia still can't drive a car. What you wear doesn't indicate how good or bad a Muslim you are, especially when women in certain countries are FORCED to dress in an 'Islamic' way. It is this same flawed logic that leads to women being accused of 'Asking for it' when they are raped because of dress or blamed for the actions of men. Women who write "I feel naked without wearing hijab' promote this kind of ####### too. It's bad enough when men treat women badly, but when other women come out with such garbage, it does nothing to help those women who are forced to cover.

Edited by Ahmeds Girl

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
See thats the thing, I never said wearing hijab is wrong... NEVER said it. I just said its not for others to determine something that is between a woman and God. :star: got it now?

I dont believe its wrong, I believe its not a requirement. That is exactly what I've been saying the whole time.

and a side note... Hijab is not just for muslims, it is for christians as well. :star:

:thumbs: some may call it a sunnah-the way of the prophet SWS-and there are many things that are sunnah that people mix up between the real deal. for example, it is sunnah to pray 2 rakkat after duhr but only duhr is required. And thanks adam for mentioning people trying to convince others that hijab is bad....I love my hijab and don't think I will ever take it off, because I WILL feel naked without it!

and a side note: It was purely my decision and no one had any influence on me. Even when I first put it on-i was in Morocco-and my family was saying take it off your too young wait until you're older and have kids blah blah blah but alhamdoliallah I stuck with my promise to Allah SWT. I also was not hired at first at the Rabat American School during the summer BECAUSE i was wearing hijab...I sent an email to the embassy and the director of the school and later got hired :)

Edited by Kenza

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
See thats the thing, I never said wearing hijab is wrong... NEVER said it. I just said its not for others to determine something that is between a woman and God. :star: got it now?

I dont believe its wrong, I believe its not a requirement. That is exactly what I've been saying the whole time.

and a side note... Hijab is not just for muslims, it is for christians as well. :star:

:thumbs: some may call it a sunnah-the way of the prophet SWS-and there are many things that are sunnah that people mix up between the real deal. for example, it is sunnah to pray 2 rakkat after duhr but only duhr is required. And thanks adam for mentioning people trying to convince others that hijab is bad....I love my hijab and don't think I will ever take it off, because I WILL feel naked without it!

hijab is between the women and Allah, it never has been for the husband to demand it, he is suppose to help us keep the correct way but may not force anything......i personally like hijab because i like the fact that i feel safe, when men talk to me they are not looking at me with lust, confusion lol but not lust......for me its self protection, im always asked where are u from what country very hard from for them when i state born in guatemala but i am citizen of usa.........not one of us in my family has ever been forced to wear hijab, suggested and explained to us why but never forced.......

if a women has to work to provide for her family if she can not get a job wearing hijab it was never meant that her children should starve because of hijab so there is nothing wrong in removing it to earn for ur children.......or urself if u dont have someone to provide for u.

i normally only read this thread because it seems to me that it become really hostile when the subject of hijab comes up.....

as for hijab being the reason a women will pray more there is some truth in that, we have seen many muslims that do not wear hijab or dress with nice clothing that is loose when they come to study night normally if u ask them about prayer they tell us they pray once or twice a day

i was always told when little if u can find time to do something u like more than once a day such as candy or when older books or playing games then why is it so hard to give Allah five times a day prayer?

anyways just my opinion

sara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I'm in a total muslim slump. No praying, thinkin' about ditchin the hijab (please no debate about it), etc. No idea why just the way it's happened. *sigh*

I'm in the same boat stakfirallah but I would never ditch the hijab cause I feel naked outside without it...What makes it harder is that I have no support system and the masjid is 40 min away. May Allah SWT guide us again to the straight path and protect us from the :devil: ameen. It's also not good to openly discuss sin but i think it helps us come together to become stronger inchallah.

Well I think if HE knows then why is it bad for everyone else to know, you know? Plus it's a way for people to relate since I'm sure many go through it. Regarding hijab I'm just sick of it to be honest. The physical part that is. Maybe this is a natural phase too who knows. I'm in a pity party mood about it. I hate not being able to have a chic haircut anymore for all to see. I hate being different than everyone else. We do have 2 other hijabis in my building but to be honest they're both so rude imho. I've smiled and said salam to both and both would respond and then just look away like I'm some weirdo. Most of all I think because softball season has begun so I'll be attending like 2 to 3 games/week and there I feel like a massive spectacle.

My hesitation at first was that wearing it would put more attention on my self and that would be defeating what I thought the whole purpose was. What made me start wearing it was that I had this revelation that the true purpose was above what I am able to comprehend. I truly felt that and still do to a certain extent but my life is so very stressful now and that part of it is compounding the stress level for me lately. Oh and did I mention summer is coming and I dread it????

So much about no debate. I'm debating myself. lol

Why don't you start with being truly honest with yourself and God? I have read you state that after studying the issues you did NOT believe that women had to wear hijab. A SHORT WHILE LATER, YOU WERE YOU WEAR WEARING IT. The truth is that you wear it purely because of pressure from your husband. You are like many women here in that regard - weak and dependant on your husband's approval - not God's.

Everything you write screams that you are lying to yourself. Lying to your husband is the easy route, isn't it? Telling him the truth means that all HIS prejudices about women will come tumbling onto your head and you will have to deal with that. Stop trying so hard to adapt to his culture and let him see what is good about yours. You are not Egyptian... you are American and he lives here now. If you lived in Egypt, little provision would be made for you to adapt.

For the sake of your sanity and your marriage - get honest and tough now. If your husband can't love you as really are, deal with it. Of all the women on this board, I feel most alarmed by what you write. Listen to al the enablers on here, pretending to believe in Islam for the sake of a husband/lover... or get real with yourself and God. I think you do believe in God... but humor your ignorant husband by pretending to buy into the women-hating rot his type of Islam promotes.

I'm sorry, do I know you? Have I met you in person? Ever im'd you? You have no idea what and who I am. My husband was always honest with me about the fact that he didn't like that I didn't wear hijab. If that's forcing me then whatever. I still didn't wear it and he accepted it and told me that his younger sister only started wearing it herself and that his mom wore it just the last year of her life. Don't even begin to believe that you know what was in my heart when I put it on.

the night before I wore it I prayed Istkikhara and when I woke up I had a full and complete feeling that it was time. Lost of things led up to that decision but it was my decision and I still believe it is the right one. And as for suggesting my husband can't love me if I were to take it off, well that's just ridiculous. He even knows how I feel now about it and he just says "as you wish". Will he be disappointed? Of course! What husband wouldn't when he's lived with his wife for a year and she's been wearing it. You know nothing about our love and I resent the blatant accusations you're giving in here. Looks like you see someone weak who is going through a hard time with hijab and you are using that for your agenda. Whatever.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

and a side note: It was purely my decision and no one had any influence on me. Even when I first put it on-i was in Morocco-and my family was saying take it off your too young wait until you're older and have kids blah blah blah but alhamdoliallah I stuck with my promise to Allah SWT. I also was not hired at first at the Rabat American School during the summer BECAUSE i was wearing hijab...I sent an email to the embassy and the director of the school and later got hired :)

Good example of self motivation and struggel.

I came up with 7 different categories and backgrounds of women posting here, I think it will be hard to bring everybody together:

Women that were born muslim and wear hijab.

Women that were born muslimand don't wear hijab.

Women that converted by them selfs not because they were Married to a Muslim

Spouses of Muslims that converted to please there husband

Spouses of Muslims that converted not to please their husbands but because they truely beleive Islam.

Christian spouses of Muslims

Muslim women who are Married to Christians

let me know if I miss any categorie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I came up with 7 different categories and backgrounds of women posting here, I think it will be hard to bring everybody together:

Spouses of Muslims that converted not to please their husbands but because they truely beleive Islam.

You did, but its not necessary to write it down on here. :star:

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline

Good moorning Tamara I'm stll sleepy from last night :crying:

Its an open descution, I don't see whay not, can you please explain?

Timeline

Honestly, I dont see THAT many women trying to say Hijab is wrong or bad on here. The few that I can see would be VW, Leyla and myself that seem to agree that it is NOT required. I dont think either of the women OR myself said hijab is wrong. So I really dont know who all the people are that are trying to convince the majority that hijab is bad.

I've already explained myself and my husband to you on here, in open discussion and we are not listed. But thats cool. :star:

Timeline

Sorry Tamara for not listing you, you have a spetial case I think you are the only one here with that type of case. Also I don't think you have a problem with Hijab, both you and your husband agree it not a requirment!!! true.. and I don't think these posts will change your mind unless you have different raisons.

Cristien women Married to a X muslim man.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Honestly, I dont see THAT many women trying to say Hijab is wrong or bad on here. The few that I can see would be VW, Leyla and myself that seem to agree that it is NOT required. I dont think either of the women OR myself said hijab is wrong. So I really dont know who all the people are that are trying to convince the majority that hijab is bad.

I've already explained myself and my husband to you on here, in open discussion and we are not listed. But thats cool. :star:

I was talking about AG, but everyone has their own opinion right? :whistle:

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Timeline

I was talking about AG, but everyone has their own opinion right? :whistle:

Im sure she'll come at some point and speak up about that, but from what I think from her writing, that not that she has a problem with it if its done the right way but the problem lies in the fact that there are women trying to say its required by the women to do it, enforced in some countries and men to make them do it and then making it seem like its by God.

Timeline
Ok, now to talk about my favorite aspect of hijab - new clothes! The husband may be going back to Egypt this summer (inshaAllah) for the first time since he came more than 3 and a half years ago. That man has some serious sabr. I'm compiling a bunch of pictures of abayas I like, and inshaAllah he'll give them to his sister who will do some shopping for me. Or, if we can swing it, I'll get to go for a few weeks and then go shopping myself :devil:

I usually only wear abayas to the masjid, but I haven't bought a new one in like 3 years, and I think everyone knows exactly what to expect me to wear. Time to shake things up a bit :dance:

Here's what I've got so far:

black-jilbab-pink-embroidery.jpgabaya-1163.jpgabaya-1126s.jpgabaya-1127s.jpg

I have to find some more websites that have the newer gulf style abayas with all the spiffy embroidery and sparkly stuff. Can you tell I like black? I just looooove a long flowly black abaya with a brightly colored headscarf.

My favourite is the fourth one ... the girl next to the chair...very cute :D

Honest to God this question is only out of curiosity- i am by no means ready for any debates- Do muslimas who do not wear hijab; cover their heads when they pray?

HLM...I cover my head when I go into the Masjid where prayer is done or when I pray. I do not wear it all of the time.

Timeline
hi tasha!

jJ

Hi Jackie, I hope you are well. Been staying away from VJ for awhile. The drama was sucking me in to much. I see I haven't missed anything....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.