nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think questioning religion is something that everyone does, convert or not. I think that part of it is coming to terms with what you feel is comfortable for you and you build from there.

Everyone has their own path to take.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm sure everyone can find the evidence for hijab/khimar if they so chose, so I won't go into that here.

I do need to address this however:

As a "Non-hijabi" I show them that Islam is not about clothing or being forced to do something. It is above all worshiping and believing in the ONE GOD. It is also about freedom and choice and Islam is not just for Arabs. It's for everyone and anyone.

Islam is literally submission to God. We submit our nafs to Him. And that does mean we are obligated to do certain things. Once we freely choose to submit to Allah (swt) and make shahada, things become incumant upon us. We don't have freedom or choice when it comes to whether or not to make salat. We don't have freedom or choice when it comes to paying zakat. We don't have freedom or choice when it comes to making hajj. We don't have freedom or choice when it comes to following and loving the messenger of Allah (swt). We don't have freedom or choice as to whether or not we follow specific injunctions given in the Qur'an. And if something is clear in the hadith, we don't have a choice as to whether or not we follow that (at least if we're within the confines of alh al sunnah wa jamaah).

And yes, islam is for everyone, but just because someone choses to wear khimar does not mean they're trying to become an arab.

Dr. Umar Faruq Abdullah wrote an interesting paper on Islam and the Cultural Imperative, which discusses the role and incorporation of different cultures as islam expanded.

Edited by UmmSqueakster

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

As a "Non-hijabi" I show them that Islam is not about clothing or being forced to do something. It is above all worshiping and believing in the ONE GOD. It is also about freedom and choice and Islam is not just for Arabs. It's for everyone and anyone.

Islam is literally submission to God. We submit our nafs to Him. And that does mean we are obligated to do certain things. Once we freely choose to submit to Allah (swt) and make shahada, things become incumant upon us. We don't have freedom or choice when it comes to whether or not to make salat. We don't have freedom or choice when it comes to paying zakat. We don't have freedom or choice when it comes to making hajj. We don't have freedom or choice when it comes to following and loving the messenger of Allah (swt). We don't have freedom or choice as to whether or not we follow specific injunctions given in the Qur'an. And if something is clear in the hadith, we don't have a choice as to whether or not we follow that (at least if we're within the confines of alh al sunnah wa jamaah).

And yes, islam is for everyone, but just because someone choses to wear khimar does not mean they're trying to become an arab.

Dr. Umar Faruq Abdullah wrote an interesting paper on Islam and the Cultural Imperative, which discusses the role and incorporation of different cultures as islam expanded.

where did she say anything about wearing a khimar=trying to become an arab?

as well, i don't think anyone's disputing the religious obligations of a muslim like prayer, or hajj, or obeying and following the prophet. i don't think she was saying that those things are not incumbent upon every believer. but a human being is not a pre-programmed robot either. they still possess the free will to choose whether or not they will do what God has ordered them to do. and then they would certainly have to deal with the consequences of that choice, which could get really, really ugly.

that's the freedom and choice i thought she was referring to anyways, not saying pick and choose here and there which tenets and obligations of islam you want to believe and follow.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What I meant by this:

Islam is not just for Arabs. It's for everyone and anyone.

is.... I am a blonde haired blue eyed light skinned Muslim. Not a lot of people associate my look with Islam. As a blonde haired blue eyed light skinned Muslim I have shown many people that Islam is a religion for everyone and no one will be excluded (especially in America). It's like I'm an "undercover Muslim" and I'm proud to be able to help people come to Islam (Alhamdulillah).

I also feel that God still loves me even without a scarf on my head. I think that what matters the most is what is inside your heart. God knows. I think that in the end, God would be more concerned about my prayer, and my deeds toward other human beings. I also feel like if God would damn me to hell for not wearing a scarf, he is not the God I've read about and loved so deeply.

My heart lies in the hands of God. No one else has a say in my fate.

12531741_bodyshot_300x400.gif6783001_bodyshot_300x400.gif

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

th_l_c84498a71b1eeba4d00cd9963dd0a85a.gif

kb7wan37jt.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
What I meant by this:

Islam is not just for Arabs. It's for everyone and anyone.

is.... I am a blonde haired blue eyed light skinned Muslim. Not a lot of people associate my look with Islam. As a blonde haired blue eyed light skinned Muslim I have shown many people that Islam is a religion for everyone and no one will be excluded (especially in America). It's like I'm an "undercover Muslim" and I'm proud to be able to help people come to Islam (Alhamdulillah).

I also feel that God still loves me even without a scarf on my head. I think that what matters the most is what is inside your heart. God knows. I think that in the end, God would be more concerned about my prayer, and my deeds toward other human beings. I also feel like if God would damn me to hell for not wearing a scarf, he is not the God I've read about and loved so deeply.

My heart lies in the hands of God. No one else has a say in my fate.

Good point!

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I'm sure people can find the evidence that head covering is not mandated too, if they care to.

Frankly, "hijab" has become a diversion for women that all too often prevents them from digging deeper into the faith. It's like a shorthand to Islam "uniform" for all too many who can argue "hijab" to death, but don't know much else beyond the five pillars. It's sad really. I applaud those of you who, with or without a head scarf, strive to learn more.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
It's like I'm an "undercover Muslim" and I'm proud to be able to help people come to Islam (Alhamdulillah).

That struck me just now. That is exactly how I used to feel before I put the scarf on. I was an "undercover muslim". One day my husband asked me, "are you embarassed by your religion?". It was a simple question but it is one that stuck in my head and really really made me dig deep to get the answer as to why I really wasn't wearing the scarf.

Also I just want to add that I didn't just put it on the minute I became muslim. I think it was about a year after. I would not put it on until I knew in my heart that it was the right thing to do.

I'm just hot as heck in the thing is all.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
It's like I'm an "undercover Muslim" and I'm proud to be able to help people come to Islam (Alhamdulillah).

That struck me just now. That is exactly how I used to feel before I put the scarf on. I was an "undercover muslim". One day my husband asked me, "are you embarassed by your religion?". It was a simple question but it is one that stuck in my head and really really made me dig deep to get the answer as to why I really wasn't wearing the scarf.

Also I just want to add that I didn't just put it on the minute I became muslim. I think it was about a year after. I would not put it on until I knew in my heart that it was the right thing to do.

I'm just hot as heck in the thing is all.

I'm debating the issue myself if i want to cover all the time with hijab or not. I wear it for prayer and at the mosque but generally not any other time. some people just wouldn't understand. My parents for one, they don't know i've converted.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Yeah me too, I started wearing it a year after I started practicing. I tried it for one day and then I fell in love with it and haven't taken it off since. I was also at a new start in my life - starting high school- so I thought it was perfect timing. 4 year hijabi!

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

I'm reading a book --) In the Land of Invisible Women by a doctor who lived in Saudi for two years. She is a Muslim. Anyway. My question is, every time she refers to the Prophet Muhammed, she puts (PBUH) after it. I know that means peace be upon him. But why does she have to do that? Do all Muslims have to do that?

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I'm reading a book --) In the Land of Invisible Women by a doctor who lived in Saudi for two years. She is a Muslim. Anyway. My question is, every time she refers to the Prophet Muhammed, she puts (PBUH) after it. I know that means peace be upon him. But why does she have to do that? Do all Muslims have to do that?

It is a sign of respect. The same would go for other prophets. I have never known it to be a requirement per se.

I am sure someone with a more detailed explanation will come along :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

It is a sign of respect. The same would go for other prophets. I have never known it to be a requirement per se.

That's cool! I was raised Catholic so I guess I equate saints to prophets and...yeah. Just obliviousness.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Yes you are right-it is a sign of respect for the prophets

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.