nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

hi...do they make it a big deal at the interviews if your spouse is muslim and you are not? in the philippines the thing that concerns the consul the most is the age gap but i am worried that my husband is muslim and i am not and if this might come up...

June 2004...i sat down on the bench to tie my shoelaces (literally) not knowing i would marry the man i just sat down next to...

Oct. 18, 2007...Married

Oct. 27, 2007...my beautiful son is born

USCIS IR-1/CR-1 Visa Journey

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

Feb. 05, 2009: I 130 sent

Feb. 12, 2009: NAO1

Feb. 17, 2009: first touch

Feb. 18, 2009: Touch

May 01, 2009: Touch and NAO2 mailed...yeah hey!

May 08, 2009: NAO2 in the mail

NVC Journey

May 15, 2009: NVC case number

May 18, 2009: Gave email add to NVC

May 28, 2009: Received DS 3032 / I-864 Bill

June 1, 2009: Paid I-864 Bill

June 5, 2009: sent AOS stuff

June 29, 2009: sent DS 230

June 28 - Aug. 8: i spent time with my boys in the philippines

IN A BIG HUGE BLUR...OUR CASE WAS COMPLETED AUGUST 5, 2009 (AFTER RFE: HUSBAND'S ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE) AND MY HUSBANDS INTERVIEW WILL BE SEPTEMBER 25, 2009...WE HOPE AND PRAY WE GET IT!

CURRENTLY DOING: PREPARING DOCUMENTS FOR MY SON'S PETITION!

...I am one day further from the last time I saw you but I am one day closer to the next time I will...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
(F) Tasha! Thanks for feeling my pain my friend!

I guess I'll have to look into the buffing tools. It just isn't as pretty as pink or red, but it'll have to do. Guess I'll have to get back in to toe rings for the summer, just to jazz up the feet a bit. :D

If only you could come over we could put henna on your nails and you'd have nice "burnt sienna" nails for weeks/months! :)

Soon my friend, very soon ;) I'll be looking forward to that!

I've been thinking about this issue of nail polish and wudu, etc. and I just want to say that if you try to do anything that you just don't TRULY believe from the bottom of your heart, you run the risk of eventually becoming irritated by it.

If you believe from the bottom of your heart that your prayers are not heard or accepted unless you literally wash your naked nails then BY ALL MEANS DO NOT WEAR NAIL POLISH. If you don't yet believe this, then why would you do it?

Take your time to be convinced in your heart, and the rest will follow. Take it from a "Big Frank devotee", any other way will not be lasting.. Let your actions follow your heart.....

I'm a little concerned with this advice. Islam isn't comprised of what we believe in our hearts. It's made up of the book of Allah (swt) and the example of the Prophet (saws). Certainly, there are different interpretations of these sources, and differing opinions, and one can chose between the opinions, but we don't decide what to do in our religion based only on what we believe.

That being said, I do agree that obsessing over details can drive one insane. I always tell new converts that the best example, the Prophet (saws) and his companions (ra) had 23 years to learn and perfect their religion, so we shouldn't feel that we have to get it all down in the first week. But, there is a balance. If you learn something that is definately a part of the religion, then put it in line to impliment. If it's too overwhelming, then set a goal to work on it, and eventually make it a part of your practice.

Is there gradualism for converts?

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good article Jenn, thanks! :thumbs: I'm setting the goal. :)

Got married : 6-3-06

I-130 delivered : 6-12-06 - Appt in Cairo

I-130 Approved : 4-18-08 - USCIS approval!!

Visa Interview Date : 6-22-08

Case sent to WADC: 8-6-08 - FBI check

Email From Embassy 1-09 - Still in AP (7 months)

19 DHL scans - 2-19-09

1-26-09 - Out of AP, now final review

2-26-09 - Visa in hand!

3-11-09 - POE JFK - Got stuck there due to immigration taking too long. They didn't change his visa from CR1 to IR1, have to go to immigration here to fix it.

3-12-09 - Arrived in Portland!!

5-29-2010 - Zane was born ** Absolute best day of my life!

6-7-2010 - Ahmed went back to Egypt

8-23-11 - Filed for divorce

1-12-12 - Divorce final

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

OK I have another question. You guys are going to get tired of my questions I know. :blush: What does it mean exactly when they say "There is no compulsion in religion"? I see this a lot.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
OK I have another question. You guys are going to get tired of my questions I know. :blush: What does it mean exactly when they say "There is no compulsion in religion"? I see this a lot.

That forced conversion is not allowed or accepted. No Muslim should force a non-Muslim to accept or convert to Islam. (there have been many accusations that Islam was "spread by the sword" which seems pretty perposterous considering this statement comes from a verse in Quran) and if someone changes religion under duress it is not a valid change either. No one can accuse someone of apostasy if a person did convert under duress and then returned to their previous faith when the duress was gone because it never should have happened in the first place.

Here's some interesting info on the subject: http://www.themodernreligion.com/terror/te...ism_verses1.htm and http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cfm?cat_...;sub_cat_id=607

However, children of Muslim fathers are expected to be raised to be Muslim, regardless of the mother's faith.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
(F) Tasha! Thanks for feeling my pain my friend!

I guess I'll have to look into the buffing tools. It just isn't as pretty as pink or red, but it'll have to do. Guess I'll have to get back in to toe rings for the summer, just to jazz up the feet a bit. :D

If only you could come over we could put henna on your nails and you'd have nice "burnt sienna" nails for weeks/months! :)

Soon my friend, very soon ;) I'll be looking forward to that!

I've been thinking about this issue of nail polish and wudu, etc. and I just want to say that if you try to do anything that you just don't TRULY believe from the bottom of your heart, you run the risk of eventually becoming irritated by it.

If you believe from the bottom of your heart that your prayers are not heard or accepted unless you literally wash your naked nails then BY ALL MEANS DO NOT WEAR NAIL POLISH. If you don't yet believe this, then why would you do it?

Take your time to be convinced in your heart, and the rest will follow. Take it from a "Big Frank devotee", any other way will not be lasting.. Let your actions follow your heart.....

I'm a little concerned with this advice. Islam isn't comprised of what we believe in our hearts. It's made up of the book of Allah (swt) and the example of the Prophet (saws). Certainly, there are different interpretations of these sources, and differing opinions, and one can chose between the opinions, but we don't decide what to do in our religion based only on what we believe.

That being said, I do agree that obsessing over details can drive one insane. I always tell new converts that the best example, the Prophet (saws) and his companions (ra) had 23 years to learn and perfect their religion, so we shouldn't feel that we have to get it all down in the first week. But, there is a balance. If you learn something that is definately a part of the religion, then put it in line to impliment. If it's too overwhelming, then set a goal to work on it, and eventually make it a part of your practice.

Is there gradualism for converts?

I read this thread, but rarely post. However, this post caught my eye. I, too, have been concerned about the concept of "Islam is whatever is in our hearts" for some time, as repeated on this board. Islam is an organized religion with tenets, traditions, texts and established methodologies for forming interpretations. It is a legalistic faith. with rules, boundaries and absolutes, although they may not always be agreed on. Some are legislated in the Quran, and, through the Prophetic traditions. Some have developed over time though fiqh determinations.

Islam is also a faith that require thought and consideration, for the Quran counsels against blind following, and also teaches that one's acts are one's rewards or burdens. While it is possible to disagree over interpretations, daleel (evidence) is required to support one's position. "I believe it in my heart" is not credible support in opposition to legitimate, if flawed, opinion. I cringe every time I read someone posting that, and have had more than my share of disagreements about it here and IRL. "Believing in your heart" is a form of moral relativism that has no foundation in Islam. It is offensive to more knowledable adherents and students of the faith, so, I strongly counsel against its usage in individual practice and guidance of others. We can and will debate points in Islamic tenets and practice, but should do so in keeping with proper scholarship and with the very best intentions, whatever you decide.

Timeline

Q 2:256: Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things.

The best way to understand that ayah is to consider it in context with other related ayat. A major theme of the Quran is choice; we have free will to choose our behavior and beliefs. Allah has allowed this, but He also requires that with the right of choice comes the responsibility of excersizing one's choice in conjunction with His Intent.

Q 5:48: To each among you have we prescribed a law and an open way. If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to Allah. It is He that will show you the truth of the matters in which ye dispute;

Q 49:13: O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

The Message in its most basic form is that we are to submit to God fully, freely, and of our own understanding. We cannot be brought to the faith forceably or due to an obligation one has to another person. That is why we cannot advise converting to Islam because of your SO. Although this may mean that one does not subscribe to or practice Islam, we are still expected to engage each other and build community in a peaceful manner. Allah has the means to enter your heart and guide your life, and He will do so if He wishes to do so. We, as mortals, can advise, debate, provide examples of proper practice and support, but we are not to force our will on others in matters re conversion.

I hope that helps.

Timeline
Good article Jenn, thanks! :thumbs: I'm setting the goal. :)

OK, obviously I don't read this thread enough... Did you revert Tina??? :wow:

Just trying to figure things out and find my path. :)

Got married : 6-3-06

I-130 delivered : 6-12-06 - Appt in Cairo

I-130 Approved : 4-18-08 - USCIS approval!!

Visa Interview Date : 6-22-08

Case sent to WADC: 8-6-08 - FBI check

Email From Embassy 1-09 - Still in AP (7 months)

19 DHL scans - 2-19-09

1-26-09 - Out of AP, now final review

2-26-09 - Visa in hand!

3-11-09 - POE JFK - Got stuck there due to immigration taking too long. They didn't change his visa from CR1 to IR1, have to go to immigration here to fix it.

3-12-09 - Arrived in Portland!!

5-29-2010 - Zane was born ** Absolute best day of my life!

6-7-2010 - Ahmed went back to Egypt

8-23-11 - Filed for divorce

1-12-12 - Divorce final

Timeline

Thanks for your replies! (F) So the phrase "there is no compulsion in religion" concerns not being forced to convert to Islam, but is not about after you are already a Muslim?

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Timeline
I read this thread, but rarely post. However, this post caught my eye. I, too, have been concerned about the concept of "Islam is whatever is in our hearts" for some time, as repeated on this board. Islam is an organized religion with tenets, traditions, texts and established methodologies for forming interpretations. It is a legalistic faith. with rules, boundaries and absolutes, although they may not always be agreed on. Some are legislated in the Quran, and, through the Prophetic traditions. Some have developed over time though fiqh determinations.

Islam is also a faith that require thought and consideration, for the Quran counsels against blind following, and also teaches that one's acts are one's rewards or burdens. While it is possible to disagree over interpretations, daleel (evidence) is required to support one's position. "I believe it in my heart" is not credible support in opposition to legitimate, if flawed, opinion. I cringe every time I read someone posting that, and have had more than my share of disagreements about it here and IRL. "Believing in your heart" is a form of moral relativism that has no foundation in Islam. It is offensive to more knowledable adherents and students of the faith, so, I strongly counsel against its usage in individual practice and guidance of others. We can and will debate points in Islamic tenets and practice, but should do so in keeping with proper scholarship and with the very best intentions, whatever you decide.

Mark this day on your calendar ya'll. If VW and I agree on something, it's gotta be big.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
Thanks for your replies! (F) So the phrase "there is no compulsion in religion" concerns not being forced to convert to Islam, but is not about after you are already a Muslim?

That is my understanding. From what I remember, this verse was revealed in response to some people among the Ansar (the helpers from Medina) forcing their children to accept islam.

After people accepted islam of their own free will, there are certain things that are expected of them. The Prophet (saws) would enforce some things, and leave others. We look to his example to see what should be enforced.

irhal.jpg

Timeline

That is my understanding. From what I remember, this verse was revealed in response to some people among the Ansar (the helpers from Medina) forcing their children to accept islam.

After people accepted islam of their own free will, there are certain things that are expected of them. The Prophet (saws) would enforce some things, and leave others. We look to his example to see what should be enforced.

OK got it. Thanks!

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Timeline

Mark this day on your calendar ya'll. If VW and I agree on something, it's gotta be big.

We probably agree on more than you realize. The reason why I decided not to post in this thread on a regular basis is because I can see that the needs and emphasis of many converts or those contemplating conversion tend to be different than someone who was born into Islam and who has practiced and studied it all their life, as I have. My sources and answers tend to be more esoteric then what is sought, and my emphasis less basic than that of beginners, who lean toward seeking "safe" approval from those viewed as "authentic" within their specific Muslim communities. No offense intended to anyone.

Timeline
hi...do they make it a big deal at the interviews if your spouse is Muslim and you are not? in the Philippines the thing that concerns the consul the most is the age gap but i am worried that my husband is Muslim and i am not and if this might come up...

No; There shouldn't be any problems at all! many are married to Muslims and they are of a different faith :thumbs:

lyrics.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.