Beauty for Ashes

fast food in mena

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

When you were in MENA, did you ever eat at an american style fast food place for any meals?

I couldnt find a single place like that in western algeria with take away coke in a paper cup with ice. There were plenty of cafes and or pizza or gyro places. But nothing resembling like a mcdonalds. In tunisia when I got married ( that week) I ate at one american style fast food place where they had hamburgers and fries and even something resembling a happy meal.

I could not find a single place like that in Oran although I think Algiers has some places like that and certainly never saw like paper cups with straws with ice like a big gulp..

I think morocco has mcdonalds and quik and stuff like that.. Are they in places like egypt etc?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

fast food in mena? is that sheep that can outrun the shepherd? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

mostly fast food for my husband was koshari or falafel or shawerma. They have everything there though, kfc, pizza hut, etc.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

I didn't come across anything american style only my aunts cooking from books. There's alot of french style restaurants and too many algerian restaurants. It doesn't make sense because you can eat the same thing at home. I hated going out my spouse always ate french fries toped with an overmedium egg on top. We do have chinesse now there it just recently came . Pizza with tuna gross but the pizzas good in Algiers tho. My dad wants to open an american restaurant there I think we could make a good profit for my family who will run the place.

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I saw a burger king in amman that had a kids play area and everything and it was PACKED. the last thing I usually want to do when travelling is eat at an american fast food joint. I dont even want to eat that when I am HERE.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
When you were in MENA, did you ever eat at an american style fast food place for any meals?

I couldnt find a single place like that in western algeria with take away coke in a paper cup with ice. There were plenty of cafes and or pizza or gyro places. But nothing resembling like a mcdonalds. In tunisia when I got married ( that week) I ate at one american style fast food place where they had hamburgers and fries and even something resembling a happy meal.

I could not find a single place like that in Oran although I think Algiers has some places like that and certainly never saw like paper cups with straws with ice like a big gulp..

I think morocco has mcdonalds and quik and stuff like that.. Are they in places like egypt etc?

No way -- I don't even eat that here. Blecchh.

There are McDonalds, Burger King, KFC and such in certain areas of Amman, and I know they have them in Cairo, too... nothing like that in Palestine, though. There are some very nice "Western-style" eateries in Ramallah -- pizza is very popular there, and hamburgers are not hard to find. Never saw any takeaway colas with ice, but you can get all the "French fries" you want -- they are everywhere. If you're in the cities, you can also get hot tea or coffee delivered to you by the cup !

I mostly ate Arabic food -- I'd much rather have falafal or shwerma than any American-style fast food. But Ramallah has several Italian places, at least one Chinese food restaurant, and also a "Mexican" food place -- El "Polo" Loco :lol: I ate there once -- the fajitas were actually pretty good, although served with pita bread. The staff was completely clueless as far as tortillas, refried beans, guacamole or Spanish rice, though. When I go back, I'm going to give the chef some recipes -- he's trying his best.

Anyway I also did quite a bit of my own cooking there, so I could make anything I wanted -- most common ingredients are readily available there. Finding certain cookware was an issue sometimes. But I sure didn't miss American-style fast food at all.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Morocco did have McDonalds, pizza hut, KFC that i saw

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

In lebanon there is lots of mcdonalds, burgerking, subway, kfc, quizznos, hardees, dominos, pizza hut, applebees, etc etc etc...

in Saudi there is lots of stuff too, all of that plus chilis, baskin robins, starbucks, cinnabon....all that good stuff.

i actually perfer to eat mcdonalds overseas compared to here.

i think they dont use ice in a lot of places because it is usually made from tap water and it isnt always that great to drink.

i have got ice in some of my drinks before though.

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

No way -- I don't even eat that here. Blecchh.

There are McDonalds, Burger King, KFC and such in certain areas of Amman, and I know they have them in Cairo, too... nothing like that in Palestine, though. There are some very nice "Western-style" eateries in Ramallah -- pizza is very popular there, and hamburgers are not hard to find. Never saw any takeaway colas with ice, but you can get all the "French fries" you want -- they are everywhere. If you're in the cities, you can also get hot tea or coffee delivered to you by the cup !

I mostly ate Arabic food -- I'd much rather have falafal or shwerma than any American-style fast food. But Ramallah has several Italian places, at least one Chinese food restaurant, and also a "Mexican" food place -- El "Polo" Loco :lol: I ate there once -- the fajitas were actually pretty good, although served with pita bread. The staff was completely clueless as far as tortillas, refried beans, guacamole or Spanish rice, though. When I go back, I'm going to give the chef some recipes -- he's trying his best.

Anyway I also did quite a bit of my own cooking there, so I could make anything I wanted -- most common ingredients are readily available there. Finding certain cookware was an issue sometimes. But I sure didn't miss American-style fast food at all.

Thanks for the heads up! :thumbs:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline
i actually perfer to eat mcdonalds overseas compared to here.

Me too, I don't know if it's psychological or what, but I think it tastes a lot better.

for real it really does taste better, and seems fresher..not really sure if it actually is but it sure taste that way lol

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.