VisaJourneyLady

What did you leave behind, that you regret?

104 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
The only thing I regret not bringing is some Bisto instant gravy granules. You can't get instant gravy granules here!! :o

I've had my Mum mail some to me. :D

Yeah, add those to my list too. And I don't have a trip lined up to London until October or November, so :angry: . Maybe I'll have my mother-in-law put some in a packet... I also got my vegetarian mother hooked on the Bisto Veggie gravy so now she's clamouring too.

Americans are heathens -- no gravy granules!

I've seen them at Cost Plus World Market! :thumbs:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like American baked beans >< Of course - I like regular ones as well but... can't we have both?! :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

looks like you get Bisto instant gravy granules on Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...sl_8l65beosb4_b

Yes, but I resent having to pay these insane prices for gravy granules! I picked up some at Tesco last month and they were something like 69p. I guess when it comes down to it, I just love my money more than gravy.

Sorry for derailing this thread onto gravy!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

that's cool maven - it was always going to be either food or duvets ;)

So ummm, the consensus seems to be bring all I can afford to. I do think that all these little things build up, and so though the shipping might be expensive, so would replacing all the stuff. :( decisions!!!

incidentally - SHOCK!!! - i think i might not bring my duvet or any bed linen or towels. Discuss.

The UK Wiki

incidentally - SHOCK!!! - i think i might not bring my duvet or any bed linen or towels. Discuss.

You're breaking my heart, Poiteen. How could you even THINK of doing that? Infidel! Next you'll be telling me you're going to ship your stuff first class. ;)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

When Wes came over, we brought irreplacables like family photos and the like. His mother's old cookbook and some irish knitting patterns - things he won't use but wanted to keep 'in the family'. He brought CD's and his PC. He brought favorite books too. I carried some of his mothers china on the plane. We brought over two framed embroidered samplers his mother had done; his father's nursing certificate; several bibles; his christening gown; a boy-size sweater his mother had made him - things like that. )Oh - his two favorite old teddy bears.

There are two huge crates of comic books in his brothers attic yet.

It's funny, I'm not going to get rid of most of my books or DVDs but I have no place in the home for sentimental items. Old teddy bear? Ew! Throw it out! I once dumped every soft toy I'd had since I was born and it felt so good. Unless it has some sort of functional purpose, I don't like to keep it. I think the only exceptions are pieces of framed artwork.

that's cool maven - it was always going to be either food or duvets ;)

So ummm, the consensus seems to be bring all I can afford to. I do think that all these little things build up, and so though the shipping might be expensive, so would replacing all the stuff. :( decisions!!!

Haha! Well, unless it's really high quality or very new I can understand not bothering to ship those things. Although they can be useful for wrapping around smaller fragile items. :)

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

I confess.... I have already started filling carboard boxes with Maldon Salt and Coleman's English Mustard...but I have to add these are my USC hubby demands :yes: He is worried to death that we won't be able to find any in the US :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Haha! Well, unless it's really high quality or very new I can understand not bothering to ship those things. Although they can be useful for wrapping around smaller fragile items. :)

:o I'd never have thought of that - that's a fantastic idea. Great. That gets me off the hook for some extra clothes anyway ;):D

The UK Wiki

don't you misses OXO products? Gravy beef flavor

hehe, yeah, that brings back memories from my mum's cooking. :)

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
It's funny, I'm not going to get rid of most of my books or DVDs but I have no place in the home for sentimental items. Old teddy bear? Ew! Throw it out! I once dumped every soft toy I'd had since I was born and it felt so good. Unless it has some sort of functional purpose, I don't like to keep it. I think the only exceptions are pieces of framed artwork.

I kept telling myself that and for the most part follow through, yet there is a half an unpacked suitcase in my closet of my daughter's 0-9 month clothes. I think it was the only real useless thing I brought over. And then my husband and I tried to go through them about a month ago to get rid of most of them (we aren't having any more children), but then we got into some light disagreement about what we should keep in a memory box and what should go to donation. So we just packed it all back up and it is back in the closet serving no real purpose, paralyzed by sentiment. :bonk:

Filed: Other Timeline
When Wes came over, we brought irreplacables like family photos and the like. His mother's old cookbook and some irish knitting patterns - things he won't use but wanted to keep 'in the family'. He brought CD's and his PC. He brought favorite books too. I carried some of his mothers china on the plane. We brought over two framed embroidered samplers his mother had done; his father's nursing certificate; several bibles; his christening gown; a boy-size sweater his mother had made him - things like that. )Oh - his two favorite old teddy bears.

My husband lost his parents nearly twenty-five years ago. They never owned property nor left any inheritence behind - these items are all he has left of his family. He has only one surviving brother and two nieces and one nephew. His aunts and uncles have mostly passed away. What was once a large Irish family is now dwindling.

We felt it was important to preserve as much of the family heritage as possible, even if it was just by bringing over an extra suitcase of sentimental items that track the family lineage.

Maybe it's just my mood this morning, but I actually find your post rather rude.

Edited by rebeccajo

My husband lost his parents nearly twenty-five years ago. They never owned property nor left any inheritence behind - these items are all he has left of his family. He has only one surviving brother and two nieces and one nephew. His aunts and uncles have mostly passed away. What was once a large Irish family is now dwindling.

We felt it was important to preserve as much of the family heritage as possible, even if it was just by bringing over an extra suitcase of sentimental items that track the family lineage.

Maybe it's just my mood this morning, but I actually find your post rather rude.

Ack, sorry, it really wasn't meant to be rude. :( I didn't mean it to be a reflection on what other people like to keep, it was more of a 'it's interesting how people's tastes differ' kind of thing.

Alex actually has an old bear that he loves and I wouldn't dare make him throw away...I was only commenting on my personal items.

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

:o I'd never have thought of that - that's a fantastic idea. Great. That gets me off the hook for some extra clothes anyway ;):D

I know some companies will pack for you, and I'd also recommend using bubble wrap, etc., too, but they can certainly provide added protection, and it's also useful to stuff clothes and blankets into any gaps between items/at the top of boxes so the items inside don't move around too much, too.

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

You're breaking my heart, Poiteen. How could you even THINK of doing that? Infidel! Next you'll be telling me you're going to ship your stuff first class. ;)

Only as long as it is with a postage stamp :D

I am taking a couple of blankets that Jeremy bought me but my duvet and pillows are staying here - they are pretty old though and I am hoping that we won't have cause for a single duvet when I am out there... :luv:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.