w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

KKK endorses McCain: "A black President would go against just about everything we stand for"

473 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
dgady.jpg

wishful thinking on your part?

?

Wow that really struck some nerves. Don't you wish they would just go out and say hey that's not what the Klan (or the politicians, which would be a fair answer) stands for?

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
dgady.jpg

wishful thinking on your part?

?

Wow that really struck some nerves. Don't you wish they would just go out and say hey that's not what the Klan (or the politicians, which would be a fair answer) stands for?

Apparently so. I won't sleep today, of course.

The topic was "KKK endorses McCain..." but as usual....

Tangent.jpg

Should you care to elaborate as to the historical application of Affirmative Action as a form of discrimination, please pass the popcorn elsewhere as it also shows you haven't quite gotten it yet.

I couldn't care any less about historical applications. I live today, and today, affirmative action is the clearest example of racial discrimination. You are awarding a position in a company or a university based solely on race. And in many cases, a more qualified non-minority is rejected in favor of the minority. But discrimination seems to be ok as long as it favors minorities.

Edited by kid brooklyn

Filed: Timeline
Should you care to elaborate as to the historical application of Affirmative Action as a form of discrimination, please pass the popcorn elsewhere as it also shows you haven't quite gotten it yet.

I couldn't care any less about historical applications. I live today, and today, affirmative action is the clearest example of racial discrimination. You are awarding a position in a company or a university based solely on race. And in many cases, a more qualified non-minority is rejected in favor of the minority. But discrimination seems to be ok as long as it favors minorities.

welcome to VJ kid! it all whitey & Americas fault

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I can agree with some of this.

Why should I be blamed and/or punished for something that I didn't do and occurred long before I was born or my family even made it over here to the U.S. in the first place? I realize this isn't a personal attack on me, but I've been effectively "lumped in" with anyone who may have had the smallest historical ties to slavery in this country. Not only is that ludicrous and completely unfair, but it's assuming "all white people are the same."

Isn't that what whites have been accused of in regards to blacks? How does reversing the situation solve anything? As I see it, such an act only creates more of a racial divide.

The one point I do take exception to that Kid Brooklyn brought up was that a "more qualified non-minority" would be passed over in favor of a minority. This does happen, of course, but it's difficult to say just how many cases like that have truly occurred.

Timeline

Well of course you couldn't care less- that's precisely why you can't understand the significance of advancement based on inequalities that have existed in the past and that have created the current idiotic climate we're discussing.

By lacking an understanding of the discrimination in the past you are fooling yourself into thinking that righting wrongs is discriminatory. Get over it. I mean, lets be honest. Do you think you would have stood up not too long ago in defense of equal access rights before anything like AA existed?

By your lacking interest in actual fact, I doubt it. But if you say yes then perhaps its time to think about who is who and what is what in 2008.

Why should I be blamed and/or punished for something that I didn't do and occurred long before I was born or my family even made it over here to the U.S. in the first place? I realize this isn't a personal attack on me, but I've been effectively "lumped in" with anyone who may have had the smallest historical ties to slavery in this country. Not only is that ludicrous and completely unfair, but it's assuming "all white people are the same."

Isn't that what whites have been accused of in regards to blacks? How does reversing the situation solve anything? As I see it, such an act only creates more of a racial divide.

The one point I do take exception to that Kid Brooklyn brought up was that a "more qualified non-minority" would be passed over in favor of a minority. This does happen, of course, but it's difficult to say just how many cases like that have truly occurred.

Slavery was not the end of racial discrimination.

Keep it in a more accurate context.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not sure what the big deal is for affirmative action in education - you pretty much have similar discrimination already, but along economic lines - with quotas and hand-me-up grants for kids with so-so grades from poorer backgrounds.

I'd hazard a guess and say that admissions decisions with regards to individual cases are not made solely on the basis of arbitrarily imposed quotas but on some consideration of the merits of the applicant and their perceived academic potential.

I don't think its unheard of to award a college place to a kid from a poor background with B grades than a rich kid with an A. The thinking being that on a level playing field the "B" student would do as well or better than the other kid.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Do you think you would have stood up not too long ago in defense of equal access rights before anything like AA existed?

Probably not - without the AA, I would have been too drunk to stand up.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well of course you couldn't care less- that's precisely why you can't understand the significance of advancement based on inequalities that have existed in the past and that have created the current idiotic climate we're discussing.

By lacking an understanding of the discrimination in the past you are fooling yourself into thinking that righting wrongs is discriminatory. Get over it. I mean, lets be honest. Do you think you would have stood up not too long ago in defense of equal access rights before anything like AA existed?

By your lacking interest in actual fact, I doubt it. But if you say yes then perhaps its time to think about who is who and what is what in 2008.

Civil rights movement took place in the 60's.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You may wish to follow your own advice. I didn't speak about "racial discrimination." My post was over blaming me (and others) who had no part in the act of slavery.

So... what? I still wasn't born yet. I had nothing to do with that. So why am I responsible?

Timeline
I'm not sure what the big deal is for affirmative action in education - you pretty much have similar discrimination already, but along economic lines - with quotas and hand-me-up grants for kids with so-so grades from poorer backgrounds.

I'd hazard a guess and say that admissions decisions with regards to individual cases are not made solely on the basis of arbitrarily imposed quotas but on some consideration of the merits of the applicant and their perceived academic potential.

I don't think its unheard of to award a college place to a kid from a poor background with B grades than a rich kid with an A. The thinking being that on a level playing field the "B" student would do as well or better than the other kid.

That's an entirely different dimension, 6, but it forms a very big part of the picture as it relates to what is a logical structure for today.

The economic aspect of AA is quite different from the admissions aspect of AA. To be honest there is much resentment among some white Americans since (they having many more options for schooling, as well as the financial resources to be able to go to many more schools than others) they can't attend every single school they wish to go to. Yet even on AA, many beneficiaries still have a very difficult time in making tuition payments, even with loans that ensure their potential future net salary is depressed as well.

There are plenty of additional factors in selection of potential admittances to many universities. AA is if anything a decreasing factor in this process... but racial inequalities still remain and the time for these programs is nearing its end towards more mainstream, merit-based processes since a critical period is ahead in this nation's history where people will have to find more common ground, besides the appalling disparities that will continue to exist as a result of history.

The past, the past, the past.... get some new material. You gonna bring up the past to argue with everybody? People seem to be saying that the past is the past.

Discrimination is discrimination, anyway you want to present it. You seem to favor the "righting wrongs" approach. Guess what, I wronged nobody!

Edited by kid brooklyn

Timeline

You may wish to follow your own advice. I didn't speak about "racial discrimination." My post was over blaming me (and others) who had no part in the act of slavery.

So... what? I still wasn't born yet. I had nothing to do with that. So why am I responsible?

Problem is that I, nor anyone else that I can recall here, is/are blaming you (or others) for anything. You are reacting to AA being discriminatory while ignoring a very real causation for the very establishment of such programs in the first place.

Wouldn't it be awesome if, feeling so discriminated by your own government, people that felt this so-called discrimination actually did something like elect leaders that put an end in a social sense to the very conditions that create the disparaging inequalities in the first place? Then you would, with all due respect, not feel victimized by AA or people of color trying to get an education after coming out of their own communities.

AS for the responsibility... we continue to live in a society that has been shaped by past tense events quite clearly. Therefore, it is up to our generation to put an end to the inequalities that get passed around from one real side to another perceived side.