Bluemoon4455

Are Tax returns necessary as an evidence?

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone...

I'm getting my papers ready to send and I have a Lot of evidence including a birth certificate of our daughter, joint bank accounts, joint utility bills, Joint car insurance, health insurence cards, house Mortgage, Costco memberships and a lot more, but the ONLY thing I don't have is our joint Tax papers(we filed for an extention this year)!!!

My question is, is it necessary to send copies of our tax returns, or can I just send the evidence I have!!!I'm running out of time, my Conditional Green Card expires in less than a month!!!What do you suggest????

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Send last year's taxes (as well as any from the years that you were married). When you file for an extension, you get a form with both your names on it, correct? So I would send that as well.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hello everyone...

I'm getting my papers ready to send and I have a Lot of evidence including a birth certificate of our daughter, joint bank accounts, joint utility bills, Joint car insurance, health insurence cards, house Mortgage, Costco memberships and a lot more, but the ONLY thing I don't have is our joint Tax papers(we filed for an extention this year)!!!

My question is, is it necessary to send copies of our tax returns, or can I just send the evidence I have!!!I'm running out of time, my Conditional Green Card expires in less than a month!!!What do you suggest????

The birth certificate is the strongest evidence you have in my opinion, but you still might be risking an RFE because jointly filed tax returns are apparently one of those checklist items adjudicators look for. If you don't have or can't make copies of your tax returns from the last three years, you can order transcripts of your returns from the last three years from the IRS. You still have plenty of time -- I believe it only takes a week or so. As long as you make sure your I-751 gets to the service center by the day your green card expires, you'll be good to go.

Meh

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I believe you have suffiecient evidence so you should be fine. although having more evidence never hurts!

---------------------------------------

1. CR1 Visas [Complete/2005/Total Days: 198]

2. Removal of Conditions [Complete/2007-2008/Total Days: 388]

3. Citizenship [Completed/2008-2009/Total Days: 113]

>> View complete timeline

It took us 1496 days from day I filed I-130 to Citizenship & Oath.

Why are you going to risk it and get an RFE? Send your tax transcripts or copies of the federal taxes for the last two or three years you have been married. Do not assume anything, at least that is my opinion.

take care

I-129F ->Timeline

February 2004

One year and 1/2 later:

9-17-2005 -Happily Married!!

-------------------------------------------

AOS timeline

10-10-2005 - Sending AOS paperwork to Chicago.

10-11-2005 - Chicago lockbox receives AOS and EAD

10-20-2005 - AOS & EAD checks cashed

10-21-2005 - 1st NOAs for AOS & EAD received in the mail.

10-22-2005 - EAD and AOS "touched"

11-02-2005 - 2nd "Touched" for EAD

11-09-2005 - Got AOS Biometric letter for November 22nd.

11-22-2005 - AOS Biometrics appointment

11-23-2005 - 2nd "Touched" for AOS

12-15-2005 - 3rd "Touched"

01-19-2006 - 90 Days passed - Infopass Visit to inquiry about Biometrics

01-19-2006 - Biometrics done in Brooklyn

01-19-2006 - 4th "Touched" for EAD

01-21-2006 - 5th "Touched" for EAD

01-23-2006 - EAD Approved !!

01-28-2006 - EAD Card received!!

02-15-2006 - AOS Interview Letter received -

06-07-2006 - Interview date

06-07-2006 -APPROVED!!!

07-17-2006 - Received Welcome letter. Now waiting for GC.

07-24-2006 - GREEN CARD IN OUR HANDS!! We are done for now!!

---------

Removal of Conditional Status

---------

04-15-2008 - Sent I-751 package

04-22-2008 - Check Cashed!

04-24-2008 - NOA1 - 1 year extension letter received!

05-07-2008 - Biometrics letter received

05-21-2008 - Biometrics day!

05-21-2008 - Touched!

05-21-2008 - Second letter received for bio for 6/3 - Weird!!

05-22-2008 - Touched again!

03-16-2009 - ** Card Production Ordered update email **

You guys are right, I do not want to risk it, I hope it doesn't take time to get those papers ready!(I'm gonna keep NAGGING) until my busy husband takes care of this :huh::rolleyes: !!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree.....send last year's tax return and a copy of the extension for this year's. If you owed, send in a copy of the check used to pay with the extension.

I think you will get a RFE if you don't.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

It is going to take a long time for them to even get to your case.

In the meantime, you may be filing this year's tax return while your application is pending.

Keep a copy of it handy if there is an RFE.

My personal theory is that USCIS is issuing blanket RFEs for current-year tax returns if they are not included, and if enough time has gone by that they may have been filed since the application was submitted. As someone else mentioned, I think it is a "checklist" thing that they just send an RFE without thinking.

So the stupid thing about this process is that the processing of our applications takes so long, that another tax filing date passes, and everyone gets an RFE for their latest tax return.

All you can do if you haven't filed current year taxes is just send in every past year's tax forms where you have filed together jointly. And don't forget to properly file 2007 tax returns before the end of 2008 (even if due a refund) because you have to file in 2008 to get the "stimulus" tax rebate check.

kenk3z

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A US tax return is an important US document - it shows that you are being a 'legal' and responsible resident or citizen - so if you do not include that as part of the proof of you living here as 'normal' married people then it could be taken negatively. At the minimum send in the extension copy showing what you paid with the extension). Think of the importance of taxes to the US agencies not as just another piece of proof to be surpassed by pictures or bills or affidavits from family and friends. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

• 3 weeks later...
A US tax return is an important US document - it shows that you are being a 'legal' and responsible resident or citizen - so if you do not include that as part of the proof of you living here as 'normal' married people then it could be taken negatively. At the minimum send in the extension copy showing what you paid with the extension). Think of the importance of taxes to the US agencies not as just another piece of proof to be surpassed by pictures or bills or affidavits from family and friends. Good Luck

Thank you,

We finally sent the package WITH the joint Tax returns for the past 3 years, so hopefully everything should be fine.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you,

We finally sent the package WITH the joint Tax returns for the past 3 years, so hopefully everything should be fine.

Tax returns are not neccesary I have learnt that over the years of reading this question.

And I have also read and been told by a lawyer that too much evidence piss's USCIS off they want the facts, not all the little ####### bits that go with it because it takes too long to go through it all, and holds them up.

Edited by Poppy64

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you,

Tax returns are not neccesary I have learnt that over the years of reading this question.

And I have also read and been told by a lawyer that too much evidence piss's USCIS off they want the facts, not all the little ####### bits that go with it because it takes too long to go through it all, and holds them up.

By the same token, the USCIS can and has sent RFE's for NOT enough evidence. We don't plan on risking an RFE...if it upsets the adjudicator then maybe they will get off their ####### and adjudicate! We plan on sending tax returns.... :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.