jumper8

Registered to Vote and Applying for Citizenship -- Advice needed

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I took it upon myself to help my wife and daughter with our laws and explain it to them. Do not recall any instructions given with their initial conditional green cards, but with the ten year card they did send a four page brochure. On the second page, they suggest you obtain a copy of the M-618 manual, surprised they didn't include that manual with the new or even original green cards.

But you can download it at:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

A 118 page manual.

On page 90, you will find:

Permanent residents have most of the rights of U.S. citizens.

But there are many important reasons to consider

becoming a U.S. citizen. Here are some good reasons:

• Showing your patriotism. Becoming a citizen is a way

to demonstrate your commitment to your new country.

• Voting. Only citizens can vote in federal elections.

Most states also restrict the right to vote, in most

elections, to U.S. citizens.

• Serving on a jury. Only U.S. citizens can serve on a

federal jury. Most states also restrict jury service to

U.S. citizens. Serving on a jury is an important

responsibility for U.S. citizens.

When I went down to a local field office with my wife, I requested a copy of the M-618 and the M-476 books, prefer a binded book to read, was just told to go to the USCIS site and download it. They sure don't make if very easy.

As a permanent resident, if you are a male between 18 and 25, make sure you register for selective service at:

https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx

That also seems strange to me, can't vote, can't drink, can't serve on a jury as a permanent resident, but have to register for the draft in case we ever have one again.

Also that bit on paying taxes, keeping the USCIS informed within ten days if you change address, and notifying the USCIS and even getting approval first if you plan on leaving the country for over a year.

It is complicated and very confusing and became much worse after 9/11. I have a very low opinion of our current administration, the old INS was far more organized and even had questions that didn't take an immigration attorney to ask what they meant. Putting a Cuban refugee in charge of the new USCIS was not a good idea, the American broad of Immigration attorneys finally got rid of them. Putting person in charge of the EPA that thinks sodium chloride is a dangerous chemical, and a guy in charge of the FAA that doesn't know the difference between an aircraft or a roller skate were also not good ideas. Can only hope this country gets back on track in the new election.

I am a veteran of a foreign war, college graduate, was a general manager of a fortune 500 with a good handle on the many city, county, state, and federal laws including patent laws that happen to meet the woman of my dreams of a foreign country. Had no idea how complicated it was to bring her here and the zillions of forms involved with questions that didn't even make any sense. That started five years ago and still learning and that is on top of everything else. Why can't stuff like this be made simple? No wonder why mistakes are made, and yes other governmental agencies have no idea what the USCIS rules are.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
hello jumper 8

i have the same situation you have

back in 2005 i went to the dmv without my wife to get the driver lic. and the empolyee at the dmv in WV ask me for proofs and i showed her my marriage certifcate and she told me you are married to u.s citizen that's mean you are us citizen and she checked the box for me and i didn't know no things

so i went home and i called uscis and they told me no you are not a citizen

so i didn't care about what happend

afew weeks later i recived a registration card in the mail

i told my wife what is that ?

and because she didn't know she told ohhh that's normal it's always happens when any one gets his driver lic.

so in feb 2008 when i was preparing for my n400 i found that ques. have you ever claim to be a us citizen and have y ou ever register to vote

i freaked out

i didn't ask for a freking voteing card to begin with

so i went to the dmv ask them what's going on

they told me to go to the record in the capitol

i went and i asked them what's going on

they told u checked the box for us citizen

i told them the story and i'm not a u s citizen and it was that dumbass that she act like she konw every things more than the Governor

they told me they can't fix it it's illegal but they will write in top it's mistake and they took a copy of my social sec and my 2 years green card and my 10 years green card

i went to registration office for voting i told the same story and they canceld the card and give me a letter that i never voted

in my n 400 i checked no for both because i never claimed and never need to vote

but i'm gonna tell the officer that

my interview in 6-19-08

i talked to a attorney and she said you are most likely don't need help just tell that to the officed and don't be nervous

and she told if she need help she could come with me to the interview but surely it will cost alot of $$$

she said 500 just to make a research and another 500 to attend with me

but the question is what if i don't tell the officer any thing if he didn't bring it up

why i have to bring it up since it's not my fault

and what if they find it out later ?

what if the attorney understate the problem what if i get to be deported

that's mean i will lose my future my work my school my whole life

so jumper please tell me about ur interview when and what will happened and please provied me with your attorney's phone # i might need to call him too

and please guy share with me your opinion

thanks a lot

Mojoo,

So did you answered "yes" to the question that "Have you ever registered to vote"....

I answered "Yes" to that question,but I anwered NO to "have you ever voted",and also "have you ever claimed to be a US citizen"....

If you answered "Yes" that you have registered,don't bring it up on the interview,just wait till they bring it up and then tell the story and provide proof of you story..

But if you answered "NO" to the question "have you ever registered to vote"...never even bring it up,you will be digging yourself a grave if you do....

I have not received the interview letter yet,but expecting ti to come soon,I will let you know what happens....

So let me know about the questions i ask above?...

thanks and lets hope this does not bring us down...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

hello jumper

i never voted and

i did answer no for both question

i answered no that i never claim to be us citizen

and i answered no that i never register to vote

you telling me don't bring it up !!! but what if they find out about later and then it will be big trouble don't you think that the better way to tell them now since you wrote about that guy who did register and did vote and was never deported ?

tell what do you think ??? was that lawyer u talked to sure about what he is talking about ?

tell me more about what u are going to do

thanks

Mojoo

Filed: Timeline
hello jumper

i never voted and

i did answer no for both question

i answered no that i never claim to be us citizen

and i answered no that i never register to vote

you telling me don't bring it up !!! but what if they find out about later and then it will be big trouble don't you think that the better way to tell them now since you wrote about that guy who did register and did vote and was never deported ?

tell what do you think ??? was that lawyer u talked to sure about what he is talking about ?

tell me more about what u are going to do

thanks

Mojoo

I think if you bring it up,it would be a part of having moral character and an innocent disclosure of an true mistake,and you would explain about what really happened.

1.If you dont really remember sending them your voter registration before,please try hard to remember,because this would either be a either your luck or your nightmare..because if you remember 100% that you never sent them the voter card as prove,DONT attempt to bring it up at the interview,but however,if you do recall that you sent it,then do bring it up since you anwered "NO- that you never registered to vote"and tell them that it was a mistake,and you never voted....

2.If infact you sent them the voter reg.card before - you answered NO - that you never registered,and they will give you a chance to answer the question again during the interview and if you again say "NO" that you never registered,then this will show "lack of good moral(lie) and would deny + who knows more legal proceeding...This will indicate to them that you indeed had a malicious intent,but if you tell them up front that you registered as a mistake,and have de registered,to me,this would not show any intent of commiting voter fraud and the officer might just pardon you(depending also on the interviewer)...

Read someone's xperience here: http://murthyforum.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTop...amp;m=936100787

Also this is the lady that his son actually voted,and we started a thread,and she finally gave me the lawyer contact info.

read the thread: http://atheisttoolbox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=47418#47418

we will talk more tomorrow...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.