one...two...tree

Michelle Duggar Pregnant with 18th Child

104 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
My mother was the 15th of 20 children my grandparents had. It makes for some very large family reunions.

My mom had 20 siblings :)

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
My mother was the 15th of 20 children my grandparents had. It makes for some very large family reunions.

Wow! That is amazing! :o Did all of them survive? May I ask what part of the country did mother's family live?

Timeline

Wow! That is amazing! :o Did all of them survive? May I ask what part of the country did mother's family live?

Two died as children. They were actually from three different mothers, two of whom had children from prior marriages. There's almost 40 years between the oldest and youngest. At family reunions, people ask, "Which batch are you?" :P The last reunion had a story in the O.C. Register detailing the history and the complex tree of Mom's family. Grandpa was originally from England, and settled in Minnesota. After my grandparents died, one of the eldest siblings brought most of the family to California.

Our timeline:

Our Photos

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Timeline

Two died as children. They were actually from three different mothers, two of whom had children from prior marriages. There's almost 40 years between the oldest and youngest. At family reunions, people ask, "Which batch are you?" :P The last reunion had a story in the O.C. Register detailing the history and the complex tree of Mom's family. Grandpa was originally from England, and settled in Minnesota. After my grandparents died, one of the eldest siblings brought most of the family to California.

Oh phew...I was really feeling sorry for your poor grandmother. :P

I know I caught some flak for saying this in another thread, but people had bigger families in this country when there was no social security or real retirement. You're family (grown children) were your social security and before many vaccines, the infant mortality rate was much higher...it wasn't uncommon to have a children who died.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
My only concern would be for the kids themselves. With 18, how do they get the individual parental attention that they need to develop? With 18, they are assigned chores by "jurisdiction," some of the chores likely being helping out in raising the younger ones. With all these chores, they are forced to grow up fast and "parent" themselves -- that isn't supposed to be in a normal child's job description.

This is exactly my thought.

They are assigned chores, interests and hobbies. I just don't see them having a lot of individuality or freedom. They do everything together and the older children are parenting the younger ones at such young ages like 14 and 15. I hope the girls don't grow up to think all they are is baby machines with no identity or purpose but to get pregnant and raise children, and those children think the same....and the ever growing circle continues.

I'd want my child to be whatever they wanted to be, to choose their own interests, discover their own dreams. To fail, succeed, mess up and learn on their own....not be part of some robot machine that has a daily schedule written out on a big board telling them what move they are making next.

I think it's insane, but that's JMO.

I agree with both of you. When do they get to be themselves? They all learn piano and violin...well whoop de doo. If one wants to learn the French horn, take up wrestling, or become a jazz dancer...that's just too bad for them, because it's piano and violin lessons. And kids in their early teens DO have enough issues of their own to deal with wthout having to be a serrogate parent.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
oh wow. I wonder too how much money does he make. Doesn't it require for a family to make at least 50K a year to send 1 kid to college? Sending 18 of them, besides food, clothing, entertainment, oh wow :o

You think these kids are actually going to college??? Only one wants to do anything that requires a college degree. The oldest wants to be a lawyer and God help us all if he does that!

Why "God help us all" if he becomes a lawyer?

The dad was an elected state representative. They are debt-free, they know how to budget and they home school their children. They teach their children about kindess and caring for others.

So what if they are fundamental Christian? I don't necessarily agree with their ways, but they aren't a "burden" to anyone. And I'd rather have fundamental Christians breeding than people who leave their babies in dumpsters or better yet, have 10 kids, live on Welfare, and let their kids run wild.

I want more kids, maybe 2 more (I have 2 already) if it's financially feasible, but some people think that's crazy. My grandpa was one of 10. My dad was one of 8. I'm one of 7.....

I just don't understand why people are so judgmental about this family. At least they actually do live what they preach and aren't hypocrits.

:thumbs:

I have watched their shows many times. They look like they all have fun together. The dad chases and plays with the little boys. They have a structured home but allow fun as well...a little boy was trying to lasso a staircase one day, the mom didn't care because nothing breakable was nearby. They seem like a very happy family to me. They went on a family vacation on the show, and if anyone wants to see how they treated people who are very different than them (for instance a very tattooed punk style guy at a stop on their vacation) you should watch the show and see how nice they are to everyone.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

All 20 in my mother's family were from the same 2 parents.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

Then, wow! Your poor grandmother! :o Were they farmers?

Then, wow! Your poor grandmother! :o Were they farmers?

Yes they were farmers.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

They must be well off because I could not imagine health insurance/care for 17 kids....must be costing them a fortune.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
My only concern would be for the kids themselves. With 18, how do they get the individual parental attention that they need to develop? With 18, they are assigned chores by "jurisdiction," some of the chores likely being helping out in raising the younger ones. With all these chores, they are forced to grow up fast and "parent" themselves -- that isn't supposed to be in a normal child's job description.

This is exactly my thought.

They are assigned chores, interests and hobbies. I just don't see them having a lot of individuality or freedom. They do everything together and the older children are parenting the younger ones at such young ages like 14 and 15. I hope the girls don't grow up to think all they are is baby machines with no identity or purpose but to get pregnant and raise children, and those children think the same....and the ever growing circle continues.

I'd want my child to be whatever they wanted to be, to choose their own interests, discover their own dreams. To fail, succeed, mess up and learn on their own....not be part of some robot machine that has a daily schedule written out on a big board telling them what move they are making next.

I think it's insane, but that's JMO.

I agree with both of you. When do they get to be themselves? They all learn piano and violin...well whoop de doo. If one wants to learn the French horn, take up wrestling, or become a jazz dancer...that's just too bad for them, because it's piano and violin lessons. And kids in their early teens DO have enough issues of their own to deal with wthout having to be a serrogate parent.

When asked the classic question "what do you want to be when you grow up?", the children all had very different answers. The oldest son is into film and video production, etc. Others were into teaching, being a midwife, etc. From what I have observed, they are allowed to pursue different topics of interest and dreams.

Would I have a big family like them? Nope with a capital N. But they are doing better with their kids than some one or two children families I have come across in my lifetime.

They must be well off because I could not imagine health insurance/care for 17 kids....must be costing them a fortune.

They live within their means and have no debt. Sounds good to me!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

Ok, you win :P

Our timeline:

Our Photos

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
When asked the classic question "what do you want to be when you grow up?", the children all had very different answers. The oldest son is into film and video production, etc. Others were into teaching, being a midwife, etc. From what I have observed, they are allowed to pursue different topics of interest and dreams.

Would I have a big family like them? Nope with a capital N. But they are doing better with their kids than some one or two children families I have come across in my lifetime.

That still doesn't address that sometimes kids really just need parents, not siblings to help them. It's not possible for the parents to devote much attention to individual needs. They gotta hope that all the kids don't have a problem at the same time. Heaven forbid they had a child with autism or aspergers or a serious medical condition. How would they cope with that?

I'm sure they are polite, well-mannered, well-adjusted looking etc for the camera, but there is still a part of me that is cynical about the "show" of it all. Of course if they are showing what a wonderful family they are, we aren't going to see the negatives.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
As far as sex is concerned, the husband is very lucky!

Maybe like throwing a sasuage down a hallway lucky.

I guess the shock of them is over for me because I don't care. If they want to breed like rats, whatever. At least she know who all her kidz baby daddiez is!